Major Crimes Season 5 Preview

Major Crimes Season 5: Sharon's Big Problem, a Beheading and More

Coming off its supersized Season 4, TNT’s Major Crimes has a lot of things planned for its relatively quaint, 13-episode Season 5 (premiering tonight at 10/9c), keeping Sharon and the team busy on both the professional and personal front.

Who is out to heat up a cold case? Who’s house-hunting? How will ISIS trigger a turf war between the FBI and LAPD? Who has baby on the brain?

Series creator James Duff gave TVLine an overview of what’s to come, starting with our 11th annual (dating back to The Closer) asking of….

TVLINE | What is the theme for this season?
Balance. Like, how do you balance your work and your personal life? How do you balance your ideals with the pragmatism of actual daily life? How do you balance your rational self with your visceral self?

TVLINE | Yeah. It seems as if everybody’s got something going on, on the personal front — perhaps more than ever.
Yeah, more than ever. Being an ensemble show, I like to do it where a different character pops up with their own lens through which they’re viewing the crime, and we’re doing more of that than ever.

TVLINE | You’ve got kids, “maybe” kids, house hunting, solving a family death….
Yes, everything. Sanchez is trying to figure out whether he wants to date or do something more meaningful with his life than just work. And he’s having trouble dating, obviously.

TVLINE | So might he look to “cut out the middleman” and adopt?
I think he may. He wanted to be a father really badly, and he sort of explored that, so he’s looking at different ways he might be able to implement that fantasy in a way. He wants to make it real, major-crimes-sanchez-sykeswhich I think is an urge a lot of guys feel — the desire to be a father.

TVLINE | Which character would you say has the most on their plate in Season 5?
I would say the character with the most on their plate is actually Buzz, because — and we’ve established this in previous seasons — his father and his uncle were murdered, and he’s gone to great lengths to get the files on that case. That’s the story that plays out through the season, and everybody gets involved in it. I would also say that, as the season progresses, Sharon ends up having a great deal on her plate in terms of where the eventual power lies inside the department. I can’t say more than that on that issue, but she does end up with sort of a big problem.

TVLINE | Whose love life is in the best shape, and whose is in the worst shape?
I would say probably Provenza’s is in the best shape, and Sykes and Cooper, who wants kids, are in the worst place. You know why police officers marry other police officers, right? So they can divorce police officers. That’s just a fact of life.

MAJOR CRIMES (TNT)TVLINE | Give me a taste of some of the wilder cases you have on tap this season. There’s one involving ISIS…?
Well, yes. There is a beheading and it turns out to be in the “American homeland,” as the terrorist describes it, and the FBI (led by Annie Wersching’s Special Agent Soto) is trying to look for him without alerting everybody to where he might be. It ends up being kind of a turf war with Sharon for various reasons. We also have an episode dealing with a real estate agent who gets found floating in the swimming pool of the house Flynn is trying to buy.

TVLINE | Oh, God….
Yeah, he’s showing it to Provenza, and he has Buzz along to film it because he wants to show Sharon this house and she’s too busy. And he says, “There’s just one deal breaker. See if you can spot it,” and they find a dead Realtor in the pool. And then there’s a guy who seems to be dead but is still alive on Facebook, and that one is about the balance between our real lives and our virtual lives and how that affects people.

TVLINE | What brings Fritz back during this season?
He’s still the Deputy Chief of the Special Operations Bureau, S.O.B., and he’ll be rolling out in a tactical way as we take on white supremacists. There’s a huge growth in the white supremacist movement in Los Angeles and in Southern California, from all the way up north of Santa Barbara, down to San Diego. It’s practically like a curse, and we’re taking that on in a major way, because they’re doing major crimes.

TVLINE | Rusty’s mother returns — and I hear she’s pregnant?
She’s about four-and-a-half months pregnant when we see her. Rusty has big opinions on it, and he and his mother have to sort those opinions out. He also has to sort out what it’s like to be in a relationship with somebody, so he’s dealing with that. He’s now on the path for a long-term relationship for a college student, and he’s still not sure how to behave.

TVLINE | Lastly, going back to one thing you said before: If Andy’s out videotaping potential houses, I guess things are going pretty well for him and Sharon still. Any other hiccups there, or have they settled in to a nice groove?
They’ve settled into a nice groove, but there will be practical hiccups. Not emotional hiccups. There will be challenges. Practical challenges.

Want more scoop on Major Crimes, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. It’s all interesting answers. I’m curious on seeing it developing. Thanks!

2. nblackburn01 says:

Nice article, but would have loved to hear you guys address the paltry 13 episodes and what TNT is doing about getting more ordered. Thirteen is NOWHERE near enough!

• opus says:

And, with only 13 episodes, are they breaking them up into summer and winter sessions?

• rinaex says:

TNT isn’t going to do anything, because this will be the final season.

• HAP says:

You have a source that confirms final season??

• Naomi B says:

Guess you’read wrong and hasn’t your mama told you it isn’t nice to troll? Additional episodes are on their way AND had to pay $40 for my season pass. Same amount I had to pay for last season.

• RedReddington says:

I read in another interview that Duff expects TNT to order more episodes. Sure hope so!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

As the series creator, yes, I would reckon he does!

• Redreddington says:

I’m new to Major Crimes, but do they usually order a smaller number of episodes for the summer than more for the ‘b’ season? I’ve never watched a show on TNT before.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

There is always the possibility TNT will add episodes. Or not. It is quite cliffhangery.

3. Season 5 sounds very intriguing. Great interview with lots if insides :)

4. RedReddington says:

I freaking love Shandy. I hope they have more onscreen stuff than in past seasons. Also, we definitely need more than 13 episodes!

• laura c says:

I freaking love people that don’t resort to using lame combo names. That said, I also like Sharon and Andy together. Now if they would lose whiny Rusty and his bio mom, it would be a great show I wouldn’t have to fast-forward through their segments.

• laura c says:

I freaking love people that don’t resort to using lame combo names. Whoever started this idiotic trend should be fired and exiled. That said, I also like Sharon and Andy together.

5. It happening!!! Major Crimes is almost here, I really can’t believe that hiatus is over.
    So interesting news, I’m excited and counting hours and minutes

6. LADY_in_MD says:

Thanks for the article I’m glad over the past season or two Buzz has become more than just the guy holding the camera and am glad they will be focusing on his past this season can’t wait for tonight’s premier and more SHANDY!

7. Mira says:

Looks like a great season ahead! Can’t wait for everything to get going tonight! #majorhappydance

8. GeoDiva says:

So happy it is back! I always love a Flynn and Provenza episode.

9. Whatevah says:

Ugh..I can’t stand Rusty’s mom.

• Laura C says:

Can’t stand Rusty either, they both need to disappear. I love the show & rest of cast however, been watching since The Closer.

10. L J MacGregor says:

I love the way Major Crimes has evolved from the Closer, while staying true to the characters. I’m glad to see more backstory on Sanchez, Buzz, and Sykes. Provenza & Flynn eps always make me LOL. And Shandy is getting interesting. Mostly, I love Sharon’s dead calm – she is a role model….

• Sarah says:

Yes, would prefer more backstory on the core detectives and less Rusty–a lot less Rusty. It’s so ridiculous that he’s allowed into the cases and has free reign of the squad room, and the character is annoying.

11. Jenn says:

I agree with Sarah. No way would a non cop get access to roam all over the squad area like he does. Especially when he was still a juvenile. Rusty is an annoying character.

12. Jenn says:

If you go to Wikipedia and look up James Duff who is interviewed here you will see that he is married to Philllip Keene who is the actor who plays Buzz. That is why the Buzz role keeps building.

13. B J Mueller says:

I hope the writers haven’t forgotten Philip Stroh because the fans haven’t. I’d like to see him caught and put on trial, then Brenda Lee Johnson comes back to testify (or gloat or whatever).

14. Bigdede says:

Hate Rusty. Hate his mom. I hate everything Rusty

15. swiss.amponsah says:

Rusty is ruining this show, cry, cry, cry he should be killed off that will help the ratings for sure! Time to move on lets look at some of the other characters because rusty is bringing this show down and he needs to go,if he doesn’t this show is over at this point I fast forward when I see him,What a cry baby,downer!

16. Kathy Kuder says:

Gosh, what’s with all the anti-Rusty comments? I personally love his character and am happy that this kid living on the streets ends up with a stable home.

17. Karen smith says:

When does Brenda Lee finally come back to liven up this show??? No waiting, bring her back, pronto!

18. Patz says:

Shouldn’t Rusty date girls? He probably has come to the wrong decision about his “S”.
    Tired of the whole subject with him. Resolve this for him; you writers need to deal with this
    character. Will there be a season 6? Great work.

19. Viva says:

Great promises here. When do you get Rusty off the show? He adds nothing, I’m having trouble watching because I cannot stand his character, adds zero value to the show. I am surprised the viewership is still up, must be because of the Capt. Commander, Lieutenants, DA, FBI, Police Chief and Buzz, cause that kid kills it for me, every episode. Thank God for fast forward and I don’t miss anything when I speed his part up. Thank you for this.
    This is well written I love it.

• Jenn says:

It is TV teaching you (or is it brain washing you?) about how life should be.

Next season I expect it to be all about coed public restrooms and how good they are for the environment.

20. Julie Brown says:

Just wish they write the Rusty character out he’s so boring and doesnt add anything to the series.