Exclusive
Gotham Season 3 Cast

Gotham Recasting [Spoiler] in Season 3

Gotham is giving one of its emerging villains an extreme makeover and a promotion.

TVLine has learned exclusively that when the Fox drama returns this fall with Season 3, little Ivy Pepper will have transformed into big, bad Poison Ivy. As a result, Clare Foley — who has intermittently appeared as the plant-obsessed orphan during the series’ first two seasons — will not be returning.

GothamCasting is underway for an actress in her late teens to assume the now-series regular role of the would-be eco-terrorist.

As TVLine previously reported, Gotham‘s upcoming third season will also mark the arrival of DC Comics staples Vicki Vale and the Mad Hatter. The Season 2 finale also teased the entrance of Bruce Wayne’s long-haired doppelgänger, a development exec producer John Stephens told TVLine is “in line with all the other story we’ve been telling [in Season 2], but one piece that we’ve kept hidden,” adding that with the release of Strange’s bus full of monsters, “the nature of the city of Gotham will change.”

What do you think of Ivy’s metamorphosis into full-blown bad girl? Thoughts on which Hollywood ingenue could do the plum part justice? And will you miss Foley? These are the questions. Deposit your answers in the comments.

1. The show just jumped the shark.

• alistaircrane says:

By recasting a minor role? LOL!

• Yes. In this manner, yes, by all its implications. Bruce and Selina are important characters and Ivy was established as their junior. Now she’s magically transformed to “senior”, which does not gel with anything and is likely an excuse for getting her in a sexualized context probably with Selina and/or Bruce. Ivy is irrelevant to the CoO storyline. It’s an extremely bad sign.

• KLS says:

You’re taking it too seriously. This is not a big deal.

• Elf says:

I’ve seen kids sprout six inches in six months in their teens. So Ivy has a growth spurt. Big deal.

• PatriciaLee says:

It could work. She was like a scaredy-cat tucked under Salina’s armpit, peeking out sometimes. Ivy would have a different look, if she turned to the poison side. It must be tough on the actress to lose a role, though, sorry about that.

• sass says:

I agree the show has jumped the Shark Tank. The casting should have been done right the first time . The writing is shoddy.

• Amelia says:

I felt exactly the same about the topic until I watched episode 1 of season 3 again. When young Ivy jumps into the vat she is touched by of Fish Mooney’s goons as he tries to grab her. This goon is the same that killed Ms Peabody by severely aging her which explains why Ivy quotes, “I feel older” when washed up on the shore. I do miss the young Ivy though.I felt exactly the same about the topic until I watched episode 1 of season 3 again.

• steven says:

She brought nothing to the show.

• Jason says:

wow talk about overreaction. Calm down

2. "A" says:

Clare Foley will be 15 yrs old in September so is Ivy going to be 18/19 come when Ivy returns ?

• Andrew Hass says:

Maybe the show wants tan older actress but they’ll keep the character of Poison Ivy around the same age.I’m sure a 17/18 actress could portray a 15 year old character.So the show may figure out an older actress ca play some of the tougher scenes and they knew Clare Foley would be uncomfortable.

3. Andrew says:

The recasting doesn’t bother me but are they going to significantly age up the character? because if so that would be really confusing and would bug me a lot.

4. steven says:

Isn’t Poison Ivy’s real name Pamela Isley?

• "A" says:

In the comics her name is Pamela Lillian “Poison Ivy” Isley but on “Gotham” she goes by Pamela “Ivy” Pepper.

5. ndixit says:

Is this recasting or is Ivy Pepper just going to disappear and Pamela Isley will be a brand new character?

6. Television says:

This is so stupid. She was a good Ivy. Keep the actress don’t replace her with someone else, that is just rude.

7. Jack R says:

When I first saw the headline my first reaction was they’d recast Bruce Wayne.. Since David Masouz doesn’t seem to be growing into a ripped 6 footer anytime soon.

• The Kaibosh says:

He’s likely next. It’s shame she’s out of job but Clare Foley simply didn’t blossom into the sultry caricature that defines the look of Poison Ivy.

• PatriciaLee says:

Hey, maybe they can bring her back as the good ivy that got split off the poison or some such, in the future.

• PatriciaLee says:

I hope they keep him for a few more years. His Bruce and this Alfred are the only reason I’m watching the show.

8. Toby says:

Just bring on the joker already

9. Leo Wyatt says:

I had to give up on the show this year ,I mean after 36 episodes it still couldn’t find the right tone ,plus the only remotely interesting character was Barbara

10. kirads09 says:

The current Ivy is fine, but so far just seems to be a (smart) but messed up kid – noit a villian. I can see the need to recast if they want to take the character forward. I have no issues with this. Love crazy bananas Gotham because it is INTENTIONALLY that way.

11. alistaircrane says:

The Bruce lookalike is probably his twin brother, Thomas Wayne, Jr. Also known by the alias Lincoln March.

12. Joey Padron says:

Sad news Clare won’t play character anymore on the show. She was good. Odd they’re gonna get an older actress to play the role.

• Vince says:

Not odd at all really, just very typical Hollywood sexism. Seems someone in either the writers room or one of the other higher ups decided it was time to age up and sexualize the character rather than give a female character the same character growth and development that their male characters get.

13. Josh says:

The actress who plays Selina is 17 in real life. So I see no reason why they cast a 17 or 18 year old actress to play Ivy. Is Dove Cameron busy? Dye her hair red and there ya go!

14. Jeff hunter says:

Don’t mind this one bit they are just doing what the soaps do in recasting kids S.O.R.A.S soap opera rapid aging syndrome no biggie!jeff

15. I believe Bruce Wayne’s long-haired doppelgänger will end up being the villain “HUSH” (instead of Tommy Elliot). I’d just hate it if the doppelgänger is the future Joker, though.

16. Rohnn says:

It could be a very bad or a very good move, remains to be seen. But it would’ve been nice if we’d got to see something of the whys and hows of Pamela’s evolution (corruption?) into Ivy. Something Ms. Foley was never given a chance to portray.

• Tazmin says:

My thoughts exactly. Isn’t that what Gotham at its core is supposed to be about? The rise of heroes and villains alike? I really thought they were doing well with the character until I heard they were recasting.

17. larryboodry says:

Kiernan Shipka (Sally from Mad Men) returning to TV would be cool.

18. Gregory J. Kennedy says:

How about Bella Thorne as Poison Ivy. I think she would be perfect.

19. Kevin says:

They should jump the show forward a few years. We’ve seen enough of young Bruce, let’s get him to be 16-17 and start seeing his real evolution towards Batman. This show is hanging on in my watch list, but just barely.

• Hirsty says:

Absolutely brilliant show. If you don’t like how this season has progressed you need your head read. India Hill has been so gripping.

20. A. D. says:

Thank God…she Never fit the part of Poison Ivy!

21. I would advise the kid who plays Bruce to start hitting the gym and put on a few pounds of muscle or he’s going to be out of a job next.

22. "A" says:

I vote Danielle ( Davina Claire – The Originals ) Campbell, Taissa ( Violet/Zoe – AHS: MH/Coven ) Farmiga, Molly ( Alexia Castle – Castle ) Quinn, or Alexia ( Emma/Eva – Supernatural/The Secret Circle ) Fast.

It’s a shame they couldn’t age her to 23 instead of 17 or 18 so Karen ( Amy Pond – Doctor Who ) Gillan could play the role of Poison Ivy.

23. Tim says:

Castle s daughter.

24. Why does Ivy Pepper have to be recast when they can just bring in Pamela Isley?

• "A" says:

Maybe they’ll have Ivy/ Pamela Pepper get married down the road and become Pamela Isley via her husbands surname.

25. Tazmin says:

Their just doing this so they can sexualize the character earlier for ratings boost which is a shame for so many reasons. I would have enjoyed seeing the character developed properly like they did with Penguin and Riddler. Clare Foley deserved better and so do the fans.

26. James says:

If they are going to age up Ivy, then they should do the same with Bruce and Cat. I mean at some point he has to start fighting these villains, right? Why would she be the only one to age?? LAME.. the show just jumped the shark!

27. BillyBobJohnson says:

Read between the lines. They want an actress at least 18 years old most likely because the character will be highly sexualized.

28. Erich says:

She’s kinda too old but Molly Quinn isn’t working anymore now that Castle is cancelled.

29. KatsMom says:

I love everyone jumping to conclusions. The reason for casting an older girl to play Ivy may be as simple as the fact that Ivy’s going to have a large part this season and the girl who’s playing her currently is too young to put in the hours. I’m blaming labor laws/union rules until I see where they actually go with this change.

• skyebright8 says:

Agree it’s why 18 year olds and older often play teenagers, they’re not under child labour laws on how long they can appear on screen

• tvjunkie says:

The problem with your argument is do you really think she’ll get more screen time then the teen playing Bruce Wayne? You’d have to answer yes for your thoughts to have a chance at being correct.

30. Jenny says:

My thoughts exactly!!

31. Dr. M says:

My money says they’re going to age up/recast Bruce Wayne next.

32. Simon says:

How many villains has Gotham already shown us the kids have to Grow if not by the time the actor who plays Bruce gets to be a teenager half the villains will be in there late Forties. Jump the shark no moving in the right direction yes. Joker and Penguin can’t be Fifty years old fighting a Batman who’s in his mid Twenty’s.

33. She’d never take the part, but Chloe Grace Moretz would make a perfectly poisonous Ivy.

34. AL00 says:

I don’t get why they feel the need to get an older, “sexier” teen Ivy when they’re currently using a gawky, awkward waif as teen Bruce. In this regard, their decision feels very sexist.
    If they’re looking to cast older-looking teens so they can start to sexualize them, the person they should be recasting ASAP is Bruce. Look, David Mazouz is a fantastic young actor. But he’s about 98 pounds soaking wet. Teenage boys can be skinny, but David is SCARY thin, and very awkwardly shaped. He can’t help it and I’m not trying to body shame the kid, but the show needs to be fair and accurate. To have him matched up with the 17 year old Camren Bicondova just looks awkward lately. When they both looked like little kids in early Season 1, they were “cute” on screen together, as a sort of “Baby BatCat”. But while Camren has matured and looks her age, David has simply gotten taller. But height means nothing. He lacks the bulk and maturity of a mid-to-late teen, especially one who is to become Batman.

• PatriciaLee says:

Then again, maybe we can have a basketball player type Batman. Basketball sure is popular enough. I really like the dynamic between Bruce and Alfred here, and I’d hate for that to change.

35. Rob says:

So what they are recasting, that doesnt mean they arnt showing her transformation, the recasting could be the purpose for this to make her more a half plant badass.
    Penguin, Riddler, Joker, Cat, Mr. Freeze Hell even Bullock, every character so far was cast well. Every episode has moved the story forward with no unecessary scenes. Gotham is the best show ever and i highly doubt a recasting on one character will be able to destroy that.

36. Broadwayfan says:

Since Season One I’ve developed very little patience with GOTHAM. I love my DVR. I FF through to see the characters and story lines I like; and skip the rest.
    I adore how Selina and Bruce care about each other. I never thought I’d be attached to The Penguin but Cobble pot is wonderful.
    Looking at the fall schedule I realized GOTHAM is the only FOX show I watch.

37. Mardi says:

Well not to bust anyone’s bubble but hate to say they mess up the storyline in season 1 an 2 I’m a DC fan and I love batman. But to recast the role of poison ivy is a good thing because if you want to remember the original comic books and storylines of batman and everything poison ivy was around in the mix under radar and she is the same age as cat woman because they grew up together when they were younger with Bruce. If you want to get technical the youngest villain is Harley Quinn. She doesn’t meet them or joker when she is in her early 20s. And she was first a psychologist At Arkham asylum who took on joker and started to fall in love with joker. She was the first person who help him escape from the first place. But the main topic of this is the recasting role of ivy. And with that said they still mess up the storyline because ivy was always a scientist for nature studying different types of plant life to find cures and everything. Due to a corrupt mad scientist he was doin illegal experiments on convicts and that’s how bane was created, also poison ivy due to she tried to interfere and stop the mad man, he ended up throwing her chemicals and his creating her as poison ivy.

38. Mardi says: