Fall TV Preview
Code Black Season 2

Code Black Season 2: 'Dr. Hermione Granger' Poised to Check In

Nothing like a little sorcery to quell a fiery backlash. Code Black, which last week fired to series regulars amid a Season 2 cast shakeup, is introducing a new doctor with (admittedly very loose) ties to the Harry Potter universe.

The character, “Charlotte Piel,” is described a former child star of an iconic movie franchise — “think Hermione Granger in Harry Potter,” reads the casting notice — who gave up acting to go to medical school. Now a resident at Angels Memorial, Charlotte struggles to be taken seriously by her new colleagues. The recurring role carries with it a series-regular option.

Charlotte is one of two major new additions to the Code Black cast. As TVLine reported on Monday, the CBS drama is also introducing a new male co-lead for Marcia Gay Harden in the form of fortysomething ex-combat doctor “Colonel David Willis.” Described as heroic, blunt, irreverent, and rule-breaking, Willis lands at Angels to teach the attendings and residents new war-tested techniques.

Casting for both roles is underway.

Last Friday, news broke that cast members Bonnie Somerville (Christa) and Raza Jaffrey (Neal) would not be returning in Season 2. Recurring players Boris Kodjoe (Will) and Jillian Murray (Heather), meanwhile, will be back as full-fledged series regulars.

In an impromptu Q&A with fans last Saturday, series creator Michael Seitzman conceded that losing Somerville and Jaffrey “sucks for sure,” before adding that he’s “excited about the new characters” joining the team.

1. Al says:

Last week they added they were casting their version of Owen from Greys, this week it seems they are looking for a version of Izzie

2. Chris says:

Did I miss something? I’m not seeing the words Emma and/or Watson in the article. Was I just duped? Lol

3. Ange says:

I hope they at least address where Neal and Christa are

4. Y says:

Shouldn’t she really be “Dr Emma Watson” rather than “Dr Hermione Granger” then? Unless she’s supposed to be a former witch here.

5. steven says:

Who else thought that Emma Watson was joining the show?

6. Bryan says:

So like Izzie Stevens but an actress and not a lingerie model? How.. original?

7. dean says:

The thing that perplexes me most about all this is that I’ve never heard of a single fan who disliked Neal or liked Heather. Not a single one.

8. Matt says:

I love this website and all you guys who work on it, but the title of this article is extremely misleading and the definition of click bate along with that picture.

9. Suso says:

Click. Bait.

10. herman1959 says:

As I said last Friday, I feel like they are trying to turn the show into Grey’s Anatomy, and it looks like I was not wrong…still not interested. What an insult to Marcia Gay Harden.

11. O'yaya says:

Dear TVLine and article author Michael Ausiello,

I know sometimes you have to spice up articles headlines in order to get viewers. However this level of obvious click bait is something I would only expect a tabloid magazines I ignore while in the checkout aisle of the supermarket. I know you can do better.

Yours Sincerely
    A dedicated reader.

12. Dani says:

But Emma Watson is still an actress? I don’t think she is the best example for former child actor who went to medical school. Moreover, the picture is very misleading.

• Pedro says:

Emma Watson is a working actress, has always been, and will star as Belle in Disney’s Beauty and the Beast next year, whose teaser trailer broke all sorts of records. She’s doing fine.

13. analog says:

Click bait. What the hell.

14. Jason says:

For a second there I thought Emma Watson was joining the show. Obviously that would be crazy so I’m glad to be mistaken. Not that it wouldn’t be great to see her on tv. I just think she would wind up on something way better with a shorter season.

15. Bill says:

Same old story: Network suits tinkering with a very good show in an attempt to “skew younger” and “broaden the show’s appeal.” The result will be the destruction of all that made the show good/special in the first place. They should have just cancelled it.

16. Jaclyn-Kate says:

I don’t mind the click bait. I get that, but please use the right form of two*

17. Ang774 says:

I really liked Cress Williams character, any chance he’ll be back?

18. I really liked the Christa character. She was different than a lot of the other characters. Now, we’re just going to have more of the pandering to the lowest common denominator.

19. Pedro says:

Click-bait much?

20. Mare says:

Unless they’re casting Emma Watson herself, nothing will make me watch again after axing two characters I DID like for two characters I absolutely did not.