Fall TV Preview
Criminal Minds Adam Rodriguez

Criminal Minds Adds Adam Rodriguez as Season 12 Series Regular

CBS’ Criminal Minds is adding Magic Mike levels of muscle to the BAU team, recruiting Adam Rodriguez as a series regular for Season 12.

The CSI: Miami vet will help fill the void left by original cast member Shemar Moore’s late-season sendoff by playing a special agent with the FBI Fugitive Task Force who joins Rossi, Hotch et al at the Behavioral Analysis Unit.

“We’re all big fans of Adam’s and are excited to welcome him back to the CBS family,” CBS Entertainment president Glenn Geller said in a statement. Added showrunner Erica Messer: “We have exciting storylines planned for his character and the entire BAU team as we head into our 12th season.”

In addition to his run as CSI: Miami’s Delko, Rodriguez’s TV credits include Jane the Virgin, Empire and CBS’ Reckless. he will make his debut in the Season 12 premiere of Criminal Minds, which will again air Wednesdays at 9/8c this fall.

Want more scoop on Criminal Minds, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. liame says:

Good choice.

2. Jennifer says:

Can’t see him replacing Morgan. One and done with him?

3. Heidi says:

Absolutely thrilled & will definitely be tuning back in to “Criminal Minds’…… Great addition!

4. Steven says:

Ugh, I’ve never liked him. Ever since I first saw him on Roswell. He’s just such a wooden actor and he has no charisma. I didn’t like him on Jane the Virgin earlier this year either. Then again I was never a fan of Shemar Moore either so this won’t stop me from watching.

I wish Jennifer Love Hewitt would come back. I really enjoyed her character.

• Deb says:

I’m the opposite of you. I liked Shemar and somewhat like Adam but couldn’t stand Jennifer Love Hewitt on the show. I wish they’d get rid of Aisha Tyler too!

• Karen119 says:

I guess I’m a combo as I loved Shemar Moore and like Adam. Also couldn’t stand JLH but like Aisha Taylor. I think I’m the only one who can’t stand Reid and wish he would go.

• I think you are about one of the only ones who can’t stand Reid. I love his character and the actor. There would be more of an uprising I think if Matthew left than when Shemar left. I couldn’t stand JLH so I’m glad she left.

• Kvivik says:

“Ugh, I’ve never liked him. Ever since I first saw him on Roswell. He’s just such a wooden actor and he has no charisma.”

Good to know I’m not the only one.

• sanchopanza says:

And I’ll join you. I can’t stand him. Enough that I wonder if I’ll want to watch at all, and I’m a long-time CM fan.

• Hege says:

Agreed!

• k says:

I feel the same way Steven. Since Roswell I was never a fan. I’ve seen him in other shows and nothing’s changed

• Sasha says:

Ugh, agreed!

5. Sir Elyan the White says:

Bad idea to add anyone new. It’s unnecessary and, as proved one too many times, a way to compromise the whole season storytelling by having to “explain” the new agent.

6. tannerose5 says:

I like the choice, BUT, TPTB seem to spend far too much time on the new person’s back story, and not on the team. They will have 12 unsubs to take care of, and spending time explaining the new guy is unwarranted. Guess I can kiss any hope of Reid finding happiness this year goodbye. As I said, though, I like the choice. I watched CSI, Miami because of him.

• Sara says:

Well considering he is coming from the Fugitive Task Force, I think his back story and introduction fit nicely with the 12 escaped unsubs storyline.

7. Whatevah says:

I’m glad they got someone. I miss Derek, but since Shemar waned to leave this works.

8. Bwhit says:

Loved him on CSI: Miami so I may have to start watching Criminal Minds regularly.

9. Kevin K says:

Happy to see Adam Rodriguez back in the CBS family. He had an amazing run on CSI: Miami and I hope his new TV gig on CM is going to bounce back after his last show Reckless got cancelled two years ago.

10. Steve F. says:

Huh. Not that bad a choice… he’s got the same physical build as Shemar Moore, and he’s got the procedural experience from CSI: Miami (wonder if he’ll even call Hotch “H”?). Let’s see if he can hand with the rest of the CM cast.

11. I love the choice, really. But will I ever be able to see him as anything but Delko? As much as I like Jack, I always look at Gary Sinise in CMBB and see Mac Taylor — until they mention his family or he’s on the happy side! (Their CSIs lasted a really long timeand the characters aren’t all that different!)

12. Mary Kelly says:

Don’t forget Adam in ‘Roswell’….first time I ever saw him

13. Sara says:

My mom was watching CSI Miami a couple of weeks ago and made this very suggestion. She is currently patting herself on the back.

14. Sarahii says:

What about Aisha Taylor’s character? Is Tara sticking around as series regular?

15. What about Aisha? Why does she continue to be a guest star? I thought it was probably over money but now I’m guessing not.

• Angela says:

My guess is it’s probably because Aisha Tyler’s got so many other jobs she’s juggling at various times that she might not have been sure if she could commit full-time to the series. I remember reading interviews after this season’s finale where she expressed hope that she’d stick around, though, so…. Even if she still remains a recurring character, I wouldn’t mind keeping her on. I like her.

16. Cas says:

Love this choice. Loved Delko. I also enjoyed JLH when she was on the show. Not as big of fan of Aisha but she works. Like her better than Blake.

17. good addition. I liked him on CSI Miami

18. Leanne says:

that a good choice. I liked him in CSI Miami and he was in Night Shift too I believe. Wish Paget Brewster would come back. Love AJ Cook. Reid is great.Shemar hard act to follow but Adam is a great choice. Love this show. Rest of cast is good. JLH didn’t add much.

• Kevin K says:

IKR. Better bring Paget Brewster back to CM after Grandfathered (the John Stamos sitcom) got cancelled.

19. glen says:

I think will was a great hire

20. Lorie says:

Great choice!

21. amy says:

love it. he’ll have great chemistry with everyone, he works well in a team ensemble. i only hope they keep aisha on full time (if she can fit it in with whose line is it anyway), she was a real gem, and i’d like to keep three full time female characters. especially as they’ve (blessedly) all lived through this killer season!

22. Angela says:

Hm. Interesting choice. I’ve only ever seen bits and pieces of “CSI: Miami”, so that’s about the extent of my familiarity with Adam and his work. I appreciate them not going with a complete Morgan clone, but it will be take some getting used to to see him in Morgan’s spot all the same.
    Still, JLH and Aisha Tyler managed to fit into the show just fine, in my opinion, so I’ll look forward to seeing how he fits into the team as well. Here’s hoping he’ll be a good fit, too.

23. evelyn says:

Like all the characters, especially Penelope Garcia, & Joe Montegna is the best! Also like Hotchner but wish he would smile more. I think Adam Rodriguez will make a terrific addition to the cast. Loved him on CSI Miami.

24. Sharon says:

Congrats to CBS and Criminal Minds for there fine casting and additions. I totally loved Adam in CSI Miami and can’t wait to see him in Criminal Minds. Thumbs up both of them.

25. Ella says:

Amazing.

26. Granny Bunker says:

Glad to see Adam Rodriguez chosen for his new role. Always loved him and still sometimes watch old episodes of CSI Miami

27. janette switzer says:

I didn’t like him in Miami and I probably won’t like him on this show either. They should have a new actor each week to see which one will work well on the show and give it something people like.