Exclusive
Code Black Season 2 Cast

Code Black Season 2: Meet the 'Heroic, Rule-Breaking' New Co-Lead

Code Black 2.0 continues to take shape.

The CBS medical drama — which on Friday announced a major Season 2 cast shake-up that saw two actors promoted and another two fired — is adding a male co-lead opposite Marcia Gay Harden, and TVLine has procured intel on the newbie MD.

The character, Colonel David Willis, is a onetime combat doctor who has served three tours in Afghanistan. Described as heroic, blunt, irreverent, and rule-breaking, Willis lands at Angels Memorial to teach the attendings and residents new war-tested techniques. Per the casting notice, he’s a “says-what-he-thinks veteran who doesn’t suffer fools and puts the patient first over all else, including your precious feelings. Possessed with a roguish charm, gallows humor and willingness to take risks, he’s sexy to women and compelling to men.”

Producers are looking for an actor in his late 30s/early 40s to fill the ethnically diverse, series-regular role.

On Friday, news broke that cast members Bonnie Somerville (Christa) and Raza Jaffrey (Neal) would not be returning in Season 2. Recurring players Boris Kodjoe (Will) and Jillian Murray (Heather), meanwhile, will be back as full-fledged series regulars.

In an impromptu Q&A with fans Saturday night, series creator Michael Seitzman conceded that losing Somerville and Jaffrey “sucks for sure,” before adding that he’s “excited about the new characters” joining the team.

Thoughts on Code Black‘s newest doc? Got a casting suggestion? Hit the comments!

1. Yoko says:

Missed the last half of the season, to Cress Williams

2. dancmh says:

“Per the casting notice, he’s a “says-what-he-thinks veteran who doesn’t suffer fools and puts the patient first over all else, including your precious feelings. Possessed with a roguish charm, gallows humor and willingness to take risks, he’s sexy to women and compelling to men.”

It’s like they went up the hill to the cliche well with a bucket but then just fell in.

• sanchopanza says:

No kidding. Including the need to have a “male co-lead” because after all, a woman can’t head up the show or the ER.

• PatriciaLee says:

Maybe they used google search info? Is it for sale, yet?

• Laura says:

It’s basically Owen-lite from Grey’s Anatomy or TC from Night Shift. One cookie-cutter, 2-dimensional, easy-on-the-eyes character coming up!

• Stacy says:

I couldn’t have said it better myself. I guess we’ll just have to see if they cast an actor capable of fleshing out the character and making him 3 dimensional. If not… this guy will sink.

3. wrstlgirl says:

Cast shake ups are nothing new. Yeah, it sucks to lose a character you enjoyed but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a new face on the canvas. I enjoyed this show and will definitely be tuning in for season two.

• Laura says:

I think what a lot of people (as well as myself) are saying is that no one is disputing that this new direction might be successful, but we as viewers have no interest in this new direction, we preferred the old one and, as such, most likely won’t tune in. But I wish MGH and the remaining cast all the best for a S3 renewal

4. Andreia says:

Im going to miss the characters, but these makes me even more excited about the season.
    Strange when i saw this casting call, my first thought was Michael Raymond-James, he is free after all.

• No Michael Raymond -James … The cast news suck, will not go on with it after cancellation disaster with NBC

• Andreia says:

I dont think the news suck, casts need new blood to have other storylines, so im very curious about this news. Liked the other characters that left, but to say the truth, they werent my favorites, so im not very worried about them leaving. Also, i was saying who reminded me the cast call, is not like i have any influence in casts of shows, bc if i had i would have taken some actors of some shows on tv right now bc the characters suck. Also this is CBs not NBc, so i dont understand why are you even talking about this, so are you saying that after GoS no one actor should work again, bc the show may be cancelled?

5. Megan says:

Stupid. They don’t know what they’re doing

6. Iris says:

So now it’s Grey’s Anatomy and the Night Shift? Too bad I liked ER better.

7. Eric H says:

Predicted they’d be a adding a character who was a veteran. It’ll be interesting to see if they add doctors who are East Asian and/or Latino since those are 2 groups that don’t have any representation in their current lineup of doctors.

8. Jennifer says:

What about Taye Diggs?

9. Boobies says:

This is just like the Pound Puppiez episode.

So very Berry sadz

10. silver bell says:

They are just looking to replace Rorish by the sound of it. Having a female lead is not enough they have to push in a male cliche’ one??
    I do not understand why they had to ruin the show by firing 2 very compelling characters and fan favorites and adding to people really hated???
    I for one will not watch next year.

11. Luis Guzman is co-lead. Luis Guzman is co-lead. Luis Guzman is co-lead. It’s been established from episode one “Mama” and “Papa” and everything else. The failure to recognize that, have a nurse, or an older guy, or a romantic impossibility as a co-lead is what truly upsets me! They’re the heart of the show, both of them!

• Ally Oop says:

Yup, he and Marcia are the only reasons Im giving the show another chance after the casting shakeups.

• I literally don’t care about *any* other cast members but him and Marcia and they want to bury them? CBS makes me so mad with their male/female youngish attractive lead fetish. (To be fair, most networks are like that, but still, ugh!) Society sucks.

• PatriciaLee says:

But he looks like a buddy, my most favorite character but looks like a pal. Charles Bronson quipped on a late night show that he never got offered roles in a tuxedo. They are looking for a tv Clark Gable/ Cary Grant for the modern day. Esai Morales, Westley Snipes, Ioan Gruffudd, and Timothy Dalton are some suggestions.

12. I really liked the original Code Black and am hoping these changes are for the better and don’t end up being “Castle Stupid”. (I can’t remember which TVLine commenter wrote that last week, but it’s still brilliant and very applicable.)

13. Ally Oop says:

I just cant get excited for this. I still dont understand why they let go of the two actors that they did. With only Marcia and Luiz left, I feel the show has changed too much. I’ll tune into the season premiere but Im not optimistic.

14. They already have a lead MGH. They’ve dumped some of the best characters so not hopeful abut new ones.

15. Mimi says:

Is this character played by Raza Jaffrey? No? Then I’m still not watching.
    (Oh, and CBS, I’m guessing you’ve never seen Night Shift on NBC? Cuz you just described THEIR male lead. On second thought, never mind. Obviously you HAVE seen it, because you don’t have an original thought among the lot of you. And when you do accidentally green light something different and fresh like LIMITLESS, you have to kill it ASAP. You really do suck.)

16. danoregon says:

So the show is elevating an African-American surgeon and adding a George Clooney type. So ER?
    I get it – I’m sure the changes were mandated for a second season. I wouldn’t mind CBS’s male-centric casting so much if they would explain it by showing the audience testing results.

17. Emma says:

Taye Diggs or Jon Huertas

18. ChicagoDan says:

Shemar Moore is available…..

19. Mau says:

I was totally disappointed when Nafessa Williams died. As I was looking forward to seeing her evolve as a really great doctor.