Cancelled Show Stars

Legends' JSA Hero, Grey's New Doc, Supergirl's Boss and 14 More Homes for Stars of Cancelled Shows

So many beloved long-running and new shows got the axe this may that we at TVLine are still in mourning. On the other hand, we’re also looking forward to seeing what the future holds for the stars of our cancelled faves.

With a bevy of talented actors now free agents, we’ve cooked up new roles for familiar faces from The Grinder, Nashville, Galavant, Hannibal and other defunct series. (Cable shows weren’t safe from cancellation, either, so we’ve got you covered, fans of Faking It, Togetherness and Damien.)

Casting directors and producers, take note, because we’ve found the perfect thesps to play Arrow‘s upcoming baddie, SVU‘s replacement for Sgt. Dodds, and more. We’ve even got creative character descriptions to help shake things up on Supergirl, Grey’s Anatomy and Empire.

And while TVLine claims to have no special psychic powers, don’t be surprised if a few of our ideas become reality. After all, our Alana De La Garza/Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders pitch last year came true! Plus, our Big Bang Theory/Judd Hirsch suggestion was almost on the money, and Ken Marino did, indeed, visit iZombie, albeit in a different role.

Flip through the gallery (or right here) to see our picks, then hit the comments to share the beloved faces you want back on TV ASAP.

1. bluji says:

Chuckled at the Muppets suggestion. Nice one! :D

2. Bwhit says:

The day Containment was officially cancelled I said I wanted Chris Wood on LOT! I so want it to happen, I loved him as Kai but I want to see him play another good guy like Jake is/was, I hope Legends is taking a look at him.

3. NM says:

The last thing Grey’s Anatomy needs is more cast members. Do not promote this.

4. Kevin K says:

Stana Katic on The Americans? That’s something. Wonder she’ll played a Russian spy.

5. Everton Picoli says:

Dave would actually be better as an ortho attending now that they don’t have Callie anymore.

6. Destiny says:

I would love to see Stana Katic on The Americans. Great suggestion!

7. Phun says:

Dilshad might be a good addition but there is only one boss and that is Cat Grant. :) Calista has signed on but not sure for how many eps.

8. Farhana Rawji says:

I love your idea of having the Muppets as hosts on SNL I think it would be awesome 👍😀

9. TvLover says:

I liked the idea of The Muppets hosting SNL.

Yes to Fred Savage on Playing House, that would be hilarious.

Yes to Joan Allen on The Real O’Neals.

And yes to Stana Katic on The Americans as a Russian spy, and for some reason I could see her on Game of Thrones too.

10. Kermie lover says:

Only problem with the Muppets on SNL is the fact they are funny. SNL lately not so much

11. Thank you for including Bradley James and Dave Annable! I was pleasantly surprised by those. Both deserve great shows. I don’t watch Blindspot, but I’d watch Bradley James in anything. I wouldn’t put Dave Annable on another medical show, though, and I don’t like Grey’s Anatomy. I’d like to see him do something different.

12. sammy says:

Is Megan Good still on Code Black? With the retooling, she mite not be there so then I say yes. But they should put her on The Catch rather. But YOU GUYS FORGOT ABOUT NICOLE BEHARIE!?! NOT COOL!! At least Beharie headlined a show that got renewed beyond season 1!!!

• msemmyjones says:

I think this slideshow is all actors from canceled shows. Nicole is awesome and will end up doing something great. But Sleepy Hollow was renewed, so she doesn’t fit the pattern of the slideshow.

13. Linda Sarfaty says:

Stana Katic is so talented, Beautiful, She Has A Large Fan Base, and available. I’m sure if you lucky to hire her you wouldn’t regret it.

14. Suggest STANA KATIC with her own show…… with an able co-lead. I’ll be watching for sure !!!

• Tica says:

I agree and I’ll watch anything that Stana is in

• georgee says:

That is a fact we will a be waiting for that to happen. Where did the two JV team show runners go to? What other story can they destroy? I wonder if ABC will ever be smart enough to figure what they lost. I hope they did some note taking on how NCIS did the finale with Tony leaving, so next year they will not piss off millions of fans when they ABC cancels another show.

• Emma says:

NCIS is exactly the place for Stana. Showrunner said he was looking for a name actress. Here she is with a ready made fan base.

15. Linda Garza says:

Person of Interest is a great show,it should be not be cancelled,it should return be brought back.Even if it is on a cable channel.It is an awesome show!

16. Jess says:

Dear TVLine, can we stop with the galleries and just put them all on one page please?
    Love,
    My Phone’s Data Plan

• abz says:

THIS! I’ve been wanting TVLine to go back to that format ever since they first switched to this new layout. I loved when the gallery was on the same page and you can just flip through. It was so easy. Now sometimes if there’s a gallery I often just ignore it because I don’t want to go through the hassle of switching pages.

• Ashley says:

Plus I tend to find with the various adverts the position on the page changes so it’s not like I can just keep the cursor in one place and click as the next button keeps moving.

These kind of galleries are clearly designed for artificial page view counts rather than UX.

• Lauren says:

Someone needed to say it!

17. There's a reason the show was canceled says:

There are reasons why some of these shows were canceled. Primarily some of the sctors were just bad. Megan Good and Dilshad are great examples! Why would you want bad actors back on your tv??

18. Nikki says:

Maybe Grey’s can give some screen time to the 12 or so characters that are ignored until the finale before adding another.

• abz says:

Agreed. Although with Callie gone they kind of have to fill the ortho surgeon role so they will need to cast someone.

• cycworker says:

Sara Ramirez may well be back, though – she & Shonda Rhimes have consistently referred to this exit as a ‘break.’

• abz says:

Yes and while that’s still a possibility (I hope), you can’t have a hospital without an ortho surgeon. So they will need to cast someone temporarily to take over as chief of orthopedics. So many of the shows surgical cases involve fractures and other ortho-related cases.

19. lkh says:

I really like The Americans and would like to see Stana Katic pick up a show right away. But, is she raggedy enough for that show? Everyone looks a mess and really, really tired.

20. Max says:

What about Wentworth Miller, et al from DC’s Legends?

• tigersmurfette says:

those shows arent cancelled. this gallery is just cancelled shows, they’ll likely do another gallery soon.

• Bwhit says:

Legends isn’t cancelled, and WM has Prison Break and is going to recur across Legends and The Flash next season, I’d say his dance card is full :).

21. Shar says:

I was very wary about Debra Messing playing a cop but she proved me wrong. So, how about a re-boot of Cagney & Lacey with her and wait for it, Jennifer Garner.

22. KB says:

Fred Savage needs to be Kelly Ripas co-host!

• Guy says:

Was coming here to say just this! I caught one episode he co-hosted with her this week and they were fantastic together. I think he’s found his new gig.

23. "A" says:

Nicole ( Abbie Mills – “Sleepy Hollow” ) Beharie should join “Legends of Tomorrow” in the new role they are casting.

“Also being cast for Legends Season 2 is the female member of an elite paramilitary team living in the 1940s. An African-American, she is scrutinized in her time for both her gender and race and thus has worked twice as hard to be a perfect soldier. That said, she blames herself for — and aims to avenge — the death of a team member for whom she had repressed feelings.”

Chris ( Kai – TVD/Jake Riley – “Containment” ) Wood would be awesome on LoT as Jim Corrigan aka Spectre, Wesley “Wes” Dodds aka Sandman or Hal Jordan / Hal Jordan III aka Green Lantern of Earth 5/Earth 12.

• patrickmaloney33 says:

I would love to see Nicole Beharie as the superhero one Liberty Belle, who is the mother of one Jesse Quick in the comics! She is a bit young but with a bit of comic book magic, I think she would be a good fit for Jesse’s mom and Harry’s love while also being a connection between The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow!
      As for Chris Wood, I think his attitude would fit perfectly with the modern Starman but I definitely wouldn’t be against him as Spectre.

24. patrickmaloney33 says:

… Why not have Charles Esten change his name back to Chip and return to Whose Line, we all want to see that happen!
    Also, Dilshad Vadsaria could play Shay Veritas, an undercover agent of a new to the show organization, interested in whatever or whoever was in the pod that crash landed at the end of the 1st season, placed in that “supervisory” role to keep tabs on Kara.

25. Lala says:

Hahaha TVLine’s jokes! SK’s average-at-best single-tone acting skills are not required on The Americans…

• Trish says:

What show were you watching? Oh wait, you’re a King Nathan fan, huh?
      Who won all the PCAs again? Mmmmhmmm.

• Ellen says:

That would be Nathan. LOL He won 4 times, she only won twice. Oops! And I agree with Lala on her level of talent.

26. abz says:

No to Charles Esten and Rebecca on Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. He’s great but no only because I selfishly still want Greg and Rebecca to work things out. I just finished binge-watching the show and I absolutely LOVE it. It’s so funny. Rachel Bloom, Santino Fontana (<3), Donna Lynne Champlin (I'm still listening to that song from the finale lol). They're all so great and hilarious. I still can't get over how funny "I Gave You A UTI" was. Oh and please more White Josh/Darryl. I hope the show won't get cancelled especially after its move to Fridays.
    I'm really curious to see where Matt Czuchry ends up post-Good Wife.
    I'm cool with Grey's filling Callie's ortho role with a new cast member, but more focus on the main characters is needed and we finally have time with useless characters like Penny gone. And please enough of Ben. Such an awful character

• abz says:

Oh and I hope we get some more of Heather (Vella Lovell) this season. I also loved her singing “Don’t Settle For Me”

27. rebecca says:

Amanda Peet on Veep would be genious. Not for Dan though, since I am still on board the Dan & Amy train.

28. kmw says:

I thnk the Stana Katic idea is good. She would fit right in.

29. tallsy says:

Meaghan Rath (Cooper Barrett) as the first Suitoress in Season 3 of unReal.

30. Trish says:

Stana Katic speaks Russian. FYI

31. Tammy Beth says:

Nathan Fillion = A Captain on the CBS revival of Star Trek
    Molly Quinn = Barbara Gordon on The Flash or Arrow (I know, DC is irrational about Bat-characters but it’d be sweet)
    Claire Bowen as Kira in a “Live” production of Xanadu (I know, there’s the Broadway thing now so this is too complicated but I love Claire in some sort of ONJ role…is Dick Van Dyke still physically able to take Gene Kelly’s part?)
    Sam Paladio on Orphan Black somehow
    Charles Esten in his own show – a remake of “The Rockford Files” (I know someone did I pilot of the idea before but you need the right lead)

32. kirads09 says:

Re Debra Messing: My dream role for her has been for a long time now: A modern day journalist Brenda Starr. Not sure who would be her Basil St. John but she would be so perfect. And as a huge fan of the soapy comic strip, I would love something that does justice to character.

33. Linda Garza says:

I am watching the pilot of Rookie Blue it is so very awesome it cannot end this series is a series that everyone looks forward to summer to watch!Don’t let it go!!

34. SJ says:

Eileen from The Real O’Neals is an only child, this was already established in season 1. Meagan Good is already on Code Black, although she was “only” recurring towards the end of the season, but I think the plan was to promote her to a regular cast member. However, with the retooling, that might not be the case. I’d like her gone from CB, so I hope that’s one of the changes they make for S2.

35. Pixel says:

I can’t wait to see what’s next for Matt Czuchry but I really hope he’ll be casted in show to play a main character not just a random love interest and I also hope he’ll be allowed to show on regular basis his acting skills not just his chest.

36. Lisa says:

Yes to the suggestion of Josh Lucas and Debra Messing on SVU. I think that would be fun.

37. Dawn says:

Mallory Jansen’s character was Madalena, not Valencia. Valencia was the kingdom.

38. Becca says:

I wouldn’t mind seeing Stana Katic show up as a new profiler on criminal minds :)

39. Excited about potential new Stana Katic series, Absentia, coming to U.S. networks. Would like SHOWTIME to pick it up, so I can watch on-line.