Post Mortems
Grey's Anatomy Season 12 Finale

Grey's Anatomy's Caterina Scorsone Dishes on Amelia/Owen's Future, Mer/Nathan's Secret, Jo's Dilemma

The following article contains spoilers from Thursday’s Grey’s Anatomy season finale. Don’t say we didn’t warn you.

Although Amelia and Owen can now slap a “Just Married” sticker on their car, that doesn’t mean the Grey’s Anatomy newlyweds are necessarily in for a smooth ride. Here, Caterina Scorsone, who plays the bride, not only predicts the Hunts’ future, she weighs in on Meredith and Nathan’s clandestine hookup and offers a little in-character advice to Jo.

TVLINE | First off, take me through Amelia’s final decision to go through with the wedding. It seemed like a big turning point for her, way beyond getting married.
Yeah, I think she’d been looking for external permission from Meredith, and ultimately, Meredith didn’t really give it to her. Instead, she said, “Hey, why are you looking to me? I don’t know anything! You should be looking to yourself!” So what Amelia actually gets from Meredith is permission to listen to herself and follow her own desires.

TVLINE | She’s like Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz —Amelia had the power all along.
[Laughs] This is absolutely the Wizard of Oz moment for her, where Dorothy realizes she could give and receive love the whole time!

TVLINE | Do you think Amelia and Owen will get a few weeks of happiness in Season 13 before the next calamity?
I hope so. We really haven’t been able to do all the kind of sweet, romantic stuff that usually is the bulk of a relationship. So I hope we get to have a little bit of a honeymoon before being struck by tragedy. It would be nice to kind of get out of the muck and mire!

TVLINE | At least for a little while.
[Laughs] You’ve gotta build ’em up to knock ’em down! I think Amelia and Owen’s happiness is always going to be hard-won, but wouldn’t it be wonderful if they turned out to be exactly the couple who you say “I give ’em six months!” and they end up being able to love each other [forever]?

TVLINE | Do you think they have a shot?
I think they expect flaws and brokenness in a way that most people don’t, so maybe they’ll be able to weather life’s bumps in a way that people wearing rose-colored glasses can’t necessarily.

TVLINE | You have to be looking forward to Amelia finding out about Meredith and Nathan next season. For once, she won’t be the one being judged.
Right? [Laughs] It’s completely reversed! Amelia’s being upstanding and practically a pillar of the community, and Meredith is out doing it in the back of a car! I think Amelia will definitely see the mirth in the whole situation.

TVLINE | Maybe she can finally give back a little of what she’s gotten from Meredith, too.
Yeah, it would be nice if there was kind of a reversal [from their usual dynamic]. Amelia has been kind of this cowering child sometimes with Meredith, so it would be funny to see that reversed. Meredith did give her a lot of grief when she started up with Owen!

TVLINE | Having gone through so much to finally get it right with Owen, Amelia’s practically a relationship expert now. So what advice would she give Jo about her predicament with Alex?
Well, one of the great things about Amelia’s sobriety is that it depends on her ability to be honest with herself. So she would definitely advise Jo to do some inventory and figure out where her fears lie and talk to Alex before she isolates herself and creates all sort of tragedies for herself, which Amelia has done in the past. [Beyond that,] get a good lawyer!

What advice would you give Jo? Are you hoping that next season Amelia will make Owen the dad he’s always wanted to be? Hit the comments.

1. NM says:

This relationship has been so up and down that the marriage seemed rushed. However, I’m hoping Amelia and Owen can just be happy and have many babies. They need some positive vibes and I hope for a lighter tone in their relationship.

• Jec says:

Yes! I agree! The show needs a stable couple after the amazing finale, I think Amelia and Owen can be stable. It’d be refreshing and amazing to watch.

2. Kristen says:

I am so freaking happy they got married!! I just hope they can be happy, at least for a little while? 😬😍

3. Pedro says:

This show could use a steady couple.

4. Courtney says:

I can’t wait to see how Amelia reacts to Meredith and Riggs being somewhat of an item. I have a feeling that at first Amelia is going to judge Meredith. Meredith hooked up with Riggs and had sex with him 4 times in one night. I wonder what married life for Amelia and Owen is going to look like. Bring on season 13

5. Anna says:

I was feeling Owen and Amelia, but marriage at this point seems ridiculous. They are so all over the place that I don’t feel like this will last at all.

• 3dhouseofmagic says:

I have to agree. A few episodes ago he was a drunken mess trying to hide it from her. She can’t deal with that! I don’t feel the investment with each other from these two but part of that is the show runners not giving us any scenes that tell us they are committed enough aside from both of them WANTING to be married.

6. K says:

The dress was nice, but her hair was so big! Ha ha. I couldn’t stop staring at it.

7. EM says:

The love of Owen’s life left him so he needed to move on. Just not sure Amelia is the right one. Not very invested in this couple as they haven’t had a lot of screen time together and it all seems rushed. But rain on your wedding day is suppose to be good luck.

8. Fido says:

Please don’t let Alex escape any repercussions from his unprovoked violent act. If next season opens with a time jump and the victim nowhere to be seen, I will be miffed. Veronica Mars let Logan get away with an assault, please don’t let Greys do that with Alex.

• Lexie says:

None of the fisticuffs ever have any consequence on this show. So I doubt they will start with Alex.

• Christina says:

Maggie punched a patient’s mother this season and she got high fives and praise for it. Absolutely no repercussions. Same with all the other times characters were violent (Jackson, Derek, Owen, George…)

9. Aida Colon says:

Yes it would be great to see Owen as a father since he never had a chance with Christina😄😄😄😄😄

10. Danny says:

I have to start by saying with tear filled eyes, when Jo told Alex she “Couldn’t marry him!” My heart near broke in two. We all know since Izze that Alex has been more mature and guarded. The way he lowered the walls slowly of Jo to see within him, I think was awesome. So,I hope that Jo can get her head straight, the truth out and say yes to Alex. I really hope they don’t go down the road of Alex and Meredith. Yes, they would be good together but I think Alex need to go on a differs journey. In regards to Amelia and Owen, I do know their relationship will always be a mine field of potential disasters. However, I feel the show owes each Owen as well as Amelia, two characters with such a struggled past some time to enjoy happiness. I’m sure it will be short lived, like 2 to 3 episodes short but ultimately I hope they don’t challenge them so much that it breaks the marriage. Lastly, I can’t go without talking about Ben and Bailey! Now I do agree that Ben did need a reality check and that Bailey was in a awkward spot that tested their relationship. I think she could have been more forgiving but that wouldn’t be true to her character. In the finally we see her finally loosening up and saying that he did an amazing job delivering Aprils baby. So, hopefully Bens time in time-out will soon be up. Now my prediction is that going into season 13 and the need to keep ratings up and the drama truly white knuckle, someone will have to go. And I don’t mean Callie who just relocated, I mean go as in a tragedy claims one of our semi-core to core characters. Which if true would be a 3-4 episode mega drama ultimately ending with tears and heartbreak. Who do I think??? April could be a great choice with all the pregnancy issues and though in the finale she was said to be stable we all know how quickly stable to dead stiff can happen…

11. Suzanne Gutierrez says:

I think Jo needs to come clean with Alex, if he really loves her he will understand and maybe even help her fix the situation.

12. Lynn Arsenault says:

Yes both Amelia and Owen deserve a family

13. Michelle Smith says:

I would love to see Owen become a daddy, I little girl to be a daddy’s girl. Also, on a different note I hope Jo and Alex work it out!! I love the Meredith thing but sad for her sister.

14. Colleen says:

Amelia and Owen have been tortured souls for so long; both having PTSD regarding the loss of more than one loved one. It would be wonderful for the couple to have a healthy baby and a strong marriage. It could bring a new direction for Grey’s Anatomy. They are two people that are better together than apart.

15. Char S Wilcox says:

I have watched Grey’s for awhile now and although I always wanted Christina and Owen to ride off into that sunset, I loke Owen and think he deserves to be happy.