The Good Wife Spinoff

The Good Wife Spinoff: Official Details on Cast, Time Jump and More

CBS is giving Diane Lockhart’s slap-happy palm plenty of time to heal.

The officially greenlit Good Wife spinoff — starring Christine Baranski (Diane) and Cush Jumbo (Lucca) and set to launch in the Spring 2017 on CBS All Access — will pick up one year following the events of the polarizing May 8 finale, CBS Television Studios announced Wednesday. Diane and Lucca will be joined by “new characters as the story evolves,” per CBS.

Series creators Robert and Michelle King, meanwhile, have recruited Phil Alden Robinson (Field of Dreams) to serve as an EP on the offshoot.

“The quality of The Good Wife has always rivaled anything on television and we’re excited to tell more stories with some of the brilliant characters Robert and Michelle King created,” said David Stapf, President, CBS Television Studios.

“Our original programming strategy for CBS All Access is data-driven and focused on exclusive, premium content that will continue to expand the value of our service to subscribers,” said Marc DeBevoise, Executive Vice President and General Manager, CBS Digital Media. “The Good Wife is consistently one of our most-watched series across digital platforms, and this new series, with the incredible storytellers and marquee talent that have signed on, is a perfect addition to CBS All Access’s premium original programming slate.”

1. Carol C says:

I’d love to be able to watch this but can’t in Canada.

• Emm says:

Who knows, maybe Global or Netflix Canada will pick it up? Mindy Project is now only on Hulu in the States, but it still airs on TV in Canada.

• Writer11 says:

Yes you can watch it in Canada… it was on several networks here

• Linda says:

It was on several networks here in Canada

• A fan of TV says:

I can pretty much guarantee that Global would pick this up as they did Good Wife, much like City TV kept the rights to Mindy Project regardless of Fox cancelling it. I am only just beginning to learn these things as viewership shifts primarily online. There are still some Hulu shows we can’t watch in real time, but generally all of them are getting Canadian distribution on Showcase/whatever network will invest in the product, even if it’s airing half a year later. They just ha e to hope, with that model, that most Canadians haven’t already found another way to watch it (ie. with a VPN or downloading) by the time it hits the airwaves, and that’s not always the case, especially among younger Canadians, so the current model may not last much longer. Alternately we wait a year and it appears on Shomi or Crave or Netflix. But the lack of immediacy doesn’t help profits in a web-based entertainment world.

2. tw says:

Wouldn’t have minded a spin-off featuring Eli and his daughter. Just glad there is #NoCary.

3. tp1943 says:

Why would you pay more than the normal cable price for drama programs? Will only be available in USA.

4. Andrew Hass says:

It makes sense to give the character of Diane a spin-off with her maybe living in a new city forming a new law firm.

• Arien says:

Diana – yeah, makes sense – but Lucca was one of the least interesting characters on that show.

• Jeri says:

Agree, love Diane but Lucca came out of nowhere, was made Alicias’ only friend and given a main storyline over all the old favorites. I think they realized someone had to like Alicia since she had discarded everyone else. I found her boring and would have much rather seen Cary or Eli more involved.

5. Henry Hill says:

I’m so excited to know that CBS is doing this. I was a HUGE fan of The Good Wife!

6. Why pay extra for a show whose quality was on the decline?

7. magsmcdee says:

This is terrific news. Now would someone please explain to me what “CBS All Access” is. I guess it means we have to pay to watch shows on it? Thanks!

8. J says:

I’d love to watch this but CBS All Access would be the last streaming service I would invest in. I guess I’ll pass : (

9. Johnny Weissmuller says:

Comments on availability outside the USA are just hilarious. Seriously, guys, in which world do you live?

10. SANDY says:

So where is The Amazing Race in this schedule????????

11. LuccaQuinn4TW says:

Beyond excited, but unusual Exec Producer choice versus someone that’s been with TGW already. Maybe the Ghost of Will Garner will advice Diane on a new firm by saying, “If you build it, they/the viewers will come.”

12. rowan77 says:

A show about Diane and Lucca? I’m in.

13. RD says:

Glad Lucca will be a key player-she was the best thing to come out of the uneven final season.

14. heikoS says:

I am definitely watching this! Who else is in the cast???

15. HAP says:

Love the idea of Baranski and Jumbo. But I refuse to pay for another streaming service. Nice job, Moonves.

16. Arlene says:

For real, only CBS Digital Access subscribers can watch? Are we being extorted…what’s the right word here? If yes, why would anyone ever watch anything on CBS? If not, cool, could be good, if the Kings are still writing.

17. Unfortunately, I don’t feel like shelling out extra money just for one show.

18. Pat Adams says:

Can’t wait. I absolutely loved The Good Wife. Watched it every Sunday night. So glad there is going to be a spinoff!!!!!

19. :-) says:

On the unanswered question gallery, Derrick Bond was voted out of the firm. I always wondered where the other black lawyers went also. LOL i thought i had just missed the answers to all of those other questions. Answering them would have been a more productive way to spend the final 8 episodes. Alicia really never found out about the hidden firm money?

20. Pamela says:

I don’t like how CBS is putting shows on streaming only now, if this becomes a trend it would cost as much as cable to subscribe to all the services.

21. Mark says:

Dispappointed that this will be streaming only. CBS All Acces is great for cord cutters, but CBS already charges my cable company to carry their programming, so why should I have to pay twice for this? I guess I’ll miss it.

• Imagecrafters says:

This^^^ I’m not paying extra.

• Murta says:

^This. Most people don’t realize how much the broadcast networks charge cable companies – it accounts for a large portion of cable providers’ carriage expenses – and since they are federally mandated to carry broadcast networks, they’re being extorted as well – with CBS commanding the highest fees. So cable subscribers are already paying through the nose for CBS – why should we pay more? CBS wouldn’t play ball with Hulu for current season shows, which already ticked me off, and now they want more $$. Yes, streaming is the future of entertainment, but paying CBS almost the same as Hulu (which carries the all the other networks’ current season shows with a few silly exceptions, as well as some current-season cable shows/networks as well, and even movies and documentaries and more) is just ridiculous and greedy af. I hope their service fails – CBS’s shows skew older, and those are the folks who don’t embody the vanguard of streaming viewership. So one can hope …

22. Georgia says:

Loved Good Wife and never missed an episode. But a spin-off? Why? If this was in the works, there was NO need to cancel Good Wife…..shows get rid of characters all the time…won’t be watching.

• lechatnoir says:

A spin off is a good idea. In mt mind I wanted eli to get a Jewish centered spin off . he’d deal with the jewish lobby in Chicago. Connect with the powerful diasporan etc… why is it that we can get all sorts of irish oriented show but we can’t even get one realistic portrayal of the variety of jews good, conniving, duplicitous, pious etc.. why oh why

23. Brock says:

I am IN!

24. EM says:

Sounds good but to pay extra for it NO.

25. Mary S says:

Sorry, guys. I already pay for AT&T U-Verse, Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Prime. I have investigated and rejected Can’t Be Sensible’s All Access pay-to-view channel.
    If they are not interested in letting us watch CBS shows on other platforms, I am not interested in Can’t Be Seen programs.

26. Jon Willis says:

Too bad if you live outside the US you can’t watch it.

• Max says:

CBS will likely sell this to international markets if interested. Thats how it works with all US based shows.

As for Canada, I guess it depends where you live. My sister lives in Toronto & their “cable” gets all the US & Canadian networks. I think they get local affiliates from Detroit or Buffalo

Don’t worry. If Les Moonves can make money, he’ll sell it

27. njartist says:

I hope that this Star Trek will be a success. I also hope that background story
    from Enterprise and TOS will not be cast aside. If this new Trek is set between
    the events that occurred in “The Undiscovered Country” and TNG then the ground
    could be set from some very interesting stories. After all “The Undiscovered
    Country” ended with a treaty between the Klingons & the Federation. I would
    assume that this new found peace between two former foes would be at best
    be very prone to misunderstandings. There was also the Cardassian Border
    War and lots of other Trek ” history” such as the Omega Project mentioned
    in a Voyager episode. So there is a rich source of potential good episodes.
    The Abrams movies are an uneven mix. The first one was palatable , the
    second one while OK wasted the potential to really advance the alternate time-
    line. Here’s to CBS not screwing up this new Star Trek. Oh BTW I really
    hope that can take a page from the novels set in the time of Archer’s
    Enterprise and reverse the events of that awful last episode. That was the one
    in which one of the most popular characters of that Trek series, Trip Tucker
    was killed.

28. Lane says:

Bring back Kalinda too! Now that JM is out of the picture

29. bridyyc says:

Wow. Was so excited to see this. Diane Lockhart lives!! Now they just need to add Robyn and Elsbeth and this will be a don’t miss!!

30. Marie says:

I was dying for a spin-off with Diane, Lucca, Eli (and his daughter), and Cary but I won’t pay for broadcast network programming. That’s what advertising is for. Dressing it up by giving it a cute name and streaming on the web doesn’t change anything.

31. Scott21 says:

ABC didnt ordered Archie Panjabi’s new pilot, so she is available to, and the diva (JM) is not aroung anymore, so it would be great if she came back

32. Shirl says:

Will not be watching as I don’t like either of the characters and cannot come up with a reason why they cancelled Good Wife to then have a spinoff with worthless characters. It won’t last is my prediction.

33. Me says:

Yes!!! I just love Diane and was really hoping that she would be a part of the spinoff. Hope the series will be about her “all women” firm. And how cool would it be if she could bring Elizabeth Tascioni on board? That would literally be my dream TV show!! I’m wondering if McVeigh will still be in the picture after the time jump, or if Alicia’s intervention in the finale has permanently destroyed this marriage.

34. LynnH says:

So it’s not on regular TV, which I already pay for, it’s on CBS’s own version of Netflix, which I would also have to pay for? For just one show? Um, no. I can live without it. Many other GREAT shows to watch on other networks.

35. Ella Jasper says:

As much as I enjoyed these two characters, not paying to watch this show. I was disappointed in The Good Wife the last couple of seasons, so not sure where they would go with a new one.

36. Why are you saying Christine Beranski is the star of the show? Julianna Margolis was and always will be the star that kept the ratings.

37. Editor-N-Chief says:

It is going to be called “The Good Lawyer”.

38. Cactus Rose says:

Pay to watch a spin off of Good Wife on CBS All Access? Not gonna happen. It was good but not that good.

39. Lorna L Hill says:

Why CBS All Access and not just CBS? There are SO MANY PAY TO VIEW options and some maybe most can’t pay anymore then they are paying now. I.E. cable, Dish, DireTV, now there is NetFlix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, CBS All Access and more I can’t think of at this time. It’s just TOO MUCH!!!!!!!! I remember when TV was FREE!!! Now you have to have cable or satellite just to get your local channels.

40. Max says:

Sorry not subscribing to another service. They should have done a TV a spinoff with Kalinda. Ironically, Archie Punjabi ABC pilot The Jury wasn’t picked up

41. Megs says:

Not even surprised by the amount of people commenting that they won’t be subscribing to another streaming service. Networks need to realize that they can’t compete with what’s already out there and align themselves with something that’s already established. If nothing else, a new show (even if it’s a spinoff) will never be enough of a draw to convince people to shell out the cash. Network television is dead. LONG LIVE THE INTERNET!

42. Leanne says:

alan Cummings and Czuchry. Jeffrey Dean Morgan..he great in anything.

43. kim says:

I can’t wait. I’m sure it will be a great show..

44. bob says:

I want Alicia in it

• Leanne says:

Alicia wont be in it or they wouldn’t have cancelled Good Wife. I hope Cary goes and most of the main cast. I loved the Good wife, to bad EGO’S got in the way..