Sleepy Hollow Renewed Season 4

Sleepy Hollow Renewed for Season 4

Those seven years of tribulation may happen after all: Fox has renewed Sleepy Hollow for a fourth season, TVLine has learned.

The news comes after a season that ended in April with the death of Abbie, played by Nicole Beharie, who along with Tom Mison’s Ichabod was one of the biblically foretold Witnesses at the center of the show. At the time of the finale, showrunner Clifton Campbell told TVLine that Beharie “will not return to the show as Abbie Mills,” but added that there was a “possibility” that “reflections of her will be around.”

The Season 4 cast list, confirmed by Fox on Friday, includes Mison, Lyndie Greenwood, Lance Cross and Jessica Camacho — but not Beharie, and not Nikki Reed, who TVLine has confirmed is no longer with the series.

No word yet on how many episodes Season 4 will comprise.

As the broadcast networks’ annual Upfronts Week nears, the fate of the last remaining “bubble” shows will be determined, as ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and The CW get ready to reveal their schedules for the 2016-17 TV season. For easy reference, TVLine’s handy Renewal Scorecard keeps tabs of where each show stands, while our network-by-network Pilot Season Guide lists all of the new comedies and dramas up for consideration — some of which (including ABC’s Kiefer Sutherland-led Designated Survivor) have already been ordered to series.

During Upfronts Week, the broadcast networks take turns announcing and touting their shows and stars for the fall and midseason. NBC and Fox are up first, delivering their respective morning and afternoon presentations on Monday, May 16, followed by ABC (on Tuesday, May 17), CBS (Wednesday, May 18) and The CW (Thursday, May 19).

As Upfronts Week unfolds, TVLine will share the first trailers and photos for all of the new series, as well as continually update our Fall TV Grid, letting you know what will be on when, and opposite what (as well as denote what is being held for midseason).

1. Wow. Just wow. I thought for sure this was going to join the cancellation bloodbath but hope they enjoy no one being around next season because they drove everyone away!

• Dennis says:

Lmao

• ABG says:

I won’t watch.

• Lysh says:

Heyy I recognize your sn from ONTD. Hi! And I agree, definitely didn’t see this one coming and I can’t imagine they’ll have much of the same audience, if any at all. I love Tom Mison, but his chemistry with Nicole was key.

• Terri says:

They didn’t drive everyone away. There are many who are still going to be watching. love the show…will miss Abbie but I’m looking forward to it coming back and seeing what they do with it.

• dave2442 says:

The Abbie-Ichabod chemistry was amazing and it’s tough that it’s no more. But in the end, the show accommodated Nicole’s request to leave the show. I feel the show will change gears a bit next season rather than just be the same show with a new witness to replace Abbie. Will James McDaniel become a series regular? I’ll definitely give the show a chance.

• Cali says:

I’m in the same camp as you Terri. Seems people tend to forget that without Ichabod Crane there is NO Sleepy Hollow. I love how all those who are so aggrieved because Nicole LEFT the show refuse to acknowledge the fact that SHE was the one who parted ways with the show and not vice versa. FOX did not at any time say that they were looking to replace her in any capacity. I’ve also read on several sites that Nicole wanted off the show for quiet sometime, even as soon as towards the end of the 1st season and certainly by the first part of the 2nd season. If those reports are true then what were the producers supposed to do?

I would like for SH to stick to the core of the letter that Ezra gave to Crane at the end of season finale. In that letter from Washington to Crane it detailed an organization called “The Watchers” who were charged with protecting against all threats that were supernatural in nature. That concept could actually be really good if done correctly. I think that FOX will also leave SH in its 8pm time slot if for nothing else continuity.

As for those who won’t watch, so be it. However they would be the ones screaming that everyone would need to be tuning in to support Nicole, if Tom had been the one leaving. This whole situation if nothing else should be a lesson to all writers to NOT engage the fans and to write their storyboards as they see fit. I knew they were truly in trouble (writing wise) when during an episode this year Lance Gross’s character referenced the “AbbieMillsDeservesBetter” line. The minute he let it slide past his lips I knew writing wise it was something that should not be in the show. If nothing else SH is a missive in not doing that in the future. Yes you want fans but not at the point of where they hold you hostage. This is what some of the fans of SH have done.

So here’s to season 4 of SH. Hopefully they can move past some of the ghosts. We shall seec

• bobbie says:

I don’t know who is to blame, while I know I am in the minority, I was starting to dislike Abby, was it the writers, directors giving only one note, ‘this, but with more anger’, or was it the frustrations from the actress, I don’t know. I use to love the Abby/Ichabod dynamic, but this last season was pretty bad. Jenny was a similarly written character and she was a lot more enjoyable to watch.

Nothing but well wishes to Beharie, that being said, I am looking forward to however long next season is, though I predict a shortened final one.

• Beth Hotvedt says:

Not everyone. I’ll be watching and know numerous others who will. Thank for, Fox, for renewing Sleepy Hollow.

• Dove says:

Agreed!

2. Brian says:

There’s no point to bringing this back.

3. Dennis says:

OMG omg omg yes!!
    Thank goodness, with Nashville and Castle cancelled at least I have one more reason to believe in network TV! Thank you FOX!!

4. Rachel says:

Wow I thought it would be canceled. I am conflicted.

5. MissEllys says:

This is very silly. How on earth do they think they can revive it?

6. Gary says:

I can’t believe this show is still on when shows like castle,agent Carter and grandfathered have been canned this show jump the shark 12 months ago I quite literary give up with the people making these calls why was there not a big online protest to cancel this after losing the female lead like there was with castle double standards I think

• dave2442 says:

NB asked off of Sleepy Hollow, and the showrunners obliged her. How is that like Castle planning on getting rid of SK for budget reasons?

• Annie Sisk says:

Because they didn’t get rid of her purely for financial reasons and both shows evidenced serious disdain for their female leads that goes back at least a season (in Castles case much longer). If the show marginalizes a previously strong female character over the course of several episodes it’s hardly the actor’s fault for wanting out.

• Marci says:

If they had made moves to bring Nicol’s character, Abbie, back to her first-season strength and importance, she may have been persuaded to stay. Without her, I don’t see any point in continuing to watch. As much as I love Tom Mison, it was his character’s chemistry with Abbie that made the show so compelling to watch.

• dave2442 says:

They didn’t get rid of her – Nicole Beharie specifically asked off of the show, prior to this past season even filming according to Variety. The show’s biggest drop-off was during season 2, when it over-emphasized the role of Katrina as the main villain at season’s end. That isn’t marginalizing female characters. Don’t confuse subpar writing with sabotage.

• real insider says:

They elevated Katrina in S2 to accommodate Nicole’s request for a lighter workload since they wouldn’t let her out of her contract after S1, which is what she really wanted.

• suzi says:

It isn’t the same at all….and not everyone thinks a shark was jumped. I am happy the show will return and hopeful we will see Baharie again.

• David4 says:

You are naive then, she’s gone, she isn’t coming back. Her death isn’t some plot to get better ratings, she was smart and left this mess.

• suzi says:

From the above article, ” At the time of the finale, showrunner Clifton Campbell told TVLine that Beharie “will not return to the show as Abbie Mills,” but added that there was a “possibility” that “reflections of her will be around.”

• David4 says:

Yes. You can’t just ignore the fact that you killed off the main character. That doesn’t mean the actress is coming back. If anything they will probably do some crazy Sliders pollen and have her ‘personality’ or ‘soul’ in a different body.

• kath says:

They were both a result of the showrunners not valuing the female half of the team that brought the chemistry that made the show.
        Nicole Beharie asked to be let go when she saw that her character was going down the tubes while Stana Katic was straight out let go but the reason behind both is the same.

• dave2442 says:

How did the showrunners not value her character? I see this asserted from time to time, but the only explanation ever given seems to be “because I said so”. What did they do that shows this lack of value?

• Jen says:

It was reported, she asked to be released from her contract towards the end of the first year. How do you know she “saw that her character was going down the tubes”? Were you there and recording everything that was stated? I think not. Just because you say things, doesn’t make them true. SMDH

• delorb says:

Halfway through season 1, the entire show was changed to bring focus to Cranes family. Prior to that it was heading in a different direction. It doesn’t take a genius to see the writing on the wall. AND her name was still at the top of the call sheet. So imagine being on set for hours, while being side-kicked. I’d start planning my exit as well. And I haven’t gotten into all the ways they tried to diminish her off-screen. Telling her that no one would attend a comic con just to see her. Not inviting her to do the DVD commentary season 2. No actor decides to leave a show where they’re the lead unless there are behind the scenes issues. IMO, the show should have been cancelled. Not because Nicole left, but because its an awful TV show. There were so many episodes that didn’t go anywhere. Where they’d be right back where they started. So many episodes where the all powerful ‘god’ didn’t kill the witnesses (like he killed the Kindred). At one point he says to Pandora, “I’m going to kill the witnesses”, then he LEAVES to do it. IN PERSON! Huh? All that is being lost in this discussion between fans arguing over who is more important or why this person wanted out. If they don’t tighten up the writing, all that will be moot.

• real insider says:

Nicole asked to be let go when she realized leading a tv show wasn’t for her. During season ONE. You literally have no idea what you’re talking about.

• Cali says:

Do you know where there is an article or story on this on the web? The reason why is because there are so many delusional fans out there that simply believe this was motivated simply because Nicole is black. If there is an article (and I vaguely remember something being written back towards the end of S1 or mid S2) it would be good for that to get out in print again. I had a similar conversation with a poster after the season finale and was told to “check my white privilege” which infuriated me to no end. It was at that point that I realized that there is a certain segment of viewers who are going to blame this entire situation on anyone but Nicole, who as I say it again, wanted off SH. What were the producers and writers were supposed to do when Nicole continued to demand her release.?Maybe that is part of the main reason why Ichabbie never happened. Why start that relationship when a main component of it wanted off? They really would have been criticized had they pursued that story arc and rightfully so.

• sunshine says:

Not everything is a civil rights movement, she wanted to move on, It happens.

• Cali says:

True enough sunshine but those who want to pursue that particular avenue no matter what. It’s a shame because it truly cheapens actual cases of civil rights violations. This certainly wasn’t one of them even though many sought to make it such.

7. Saynay says:

I wish I could be happy about this. I guess Fox must be crazy desperate if they’re fine with less than 3 million viewers a week because so many people were done, myself included, after that horrific s3 finale. Good luck to Tom and Lyndie. I hope they can salvage something from this mess.

8. Ralph says:

LOVED it at the beginning. Plodded through season 2. Gave up in season 3 WAY before Abbie died. Glad for the fans who are still with it, but I really doubt I’ll go back. Too bad, LOVED Mison as Ichabod.

• Liza says:

This is EXACTLY the same experience I had with the show! Mison is excellent, but I doubt I will give the show another chance.

• Sienna says:

Same here! For me, the heart of the show was always Abbie and Ichabod. I was way behind on S3 when I learned that she had been killed off. It completely destroyed my interest in the show as much as I, like you, love Tom Mison.

9. Insider says:

Little insider birdie here. Talks underway with TM who is set to leave by ep3 and replacement underway.

• RJ says:

Nice try–but Mison is back and signed for season 4.

• Saynay says:

If this is true, then all the more reason it should have been cancelled.

• Insider says:

Discussions still on the way so nothing set in stone as of yet. Depending on the success of the premiere things might change, but atm things aren’t looking up.

• Angela says:

Where’d you hear that?
      If that’s true, then that makes the show’s renewal all the more odd and surprising.

• Insider says:

Show close to ayndication and with international audience who could possibly carry on the show, renewal was decided as gamble.

• Shows nowhere near syndication, only 49 in the bag!

• Insider says:

Easier to have a show like SH reach syndication with international fanbase, than relatively newer shows that will take longer to build following/failed to build sh following. Network looking at power of international fanbase, as mentioned earlier.
            S4 Decision based on international fanbase and their response.

• Comatose Hollow says:

Someone should tell ’em they lost a lot of the international audience, too. And if TM really does go, the ones remaining will go with him.

• real insider says:

This person is bogus. The show is nowhere near syndication, for starters.

• Djinna says:

Interesting. Do tell! I’m surprised but at the same time not. Not to doubt you, because it has been whispered for some time that he had already negotiated less time on the show, but still… wow! Part of the draw of the show was the chemistry with Nikki Beharie (whether one ships them or not, they had a good rapport); with all the controversy, which so far has managed to probably strike no more than a glancing blow at this point, it would be to his advantage. The show has gone down in ratings year over year, and with the backlash over the finale, it is unlikely to go back up. Then, with the drastic revisionism that took place re: the nature of the Witnesses being recyclable souls, it would make sense that a distraught Ichabod would not have any fight left in him and succumb to be with his beloved Abbie, leading the way for the two Witnesses to be reborn. In my opinion, that’s the way it always should have been: we were not destined to bury the other…You just made my day.

• RJ says:

You are going to believe an anon in a comments section? Come on now.

• Insider says:

Understandable reaction RJ, but it’s been said, so if it happens, cause for shock lessened.

• Djinna says:

I remember that blind item in an article about a major character dying and said, “nope! Can’t be us!” My stomach dropped to the floor when Abbie FOR REAL died. I won’t be watching anyway, but just hearing through the grapevine about Crane biting it would be traumatic enough. Love Nikki, love Tom, too. Forewarned is forearmed… better than being blindsided. Thanks, Insider.

• mango cherry says:

I’m sorry this “insider” person is fake. Just created an account with name Insider. And guess what it appears…Sleepy Hollow would never release TM in eppy 3. That is suicide. Just think about it…two leads gone? nope.

• David4 The Best Insider Ever!!!!!111!!! says:

What?! You mean I should read all the crazy comments people post on line as facts?! Noo…….. lol

• Jen says:

Well, if this “psychic” insider is so “truthful”, how about some lotto numbers? I mean, he must be telling the truth–right? *Snort*

• Nope. says:

One little problem with your scenario, “Insider.” By the time the premiere airs, they will have already shot more than 3 episodes, so your claim that whether he gets out after 3 is dependent on the premiere is impossible. He’d ALREADY BE GONE.

• TresL says:

Maybe he plans to work through ep. 3 which might end in some ambiguous way that leaves an opening for him to return later in the season or not at all.

• mango cherry says:

Can TVLine remove fake “Insider says” person comments please? Kimberly Roots, are you reading this thread? This troll needs to be banned

• David4 The Best Insider Ever!!!!!111!!! There is only one true 'Insider'!!! says:

I wish there was a way for me to block people.

I heard they are going to make a spinoff of Abbie’s character. Listen to me, it’s true, I have ‘insider’ in my name twice!!! :)

• Billy Bob Johnson says:

Hey, your pants are on fire.

10. Andrew Hass says:

Maybe next season will be about Ichabod trying to find a way to bring Abbie back from the dead.

11. RJ says:

Great news–it can do well enough on Fridays without Abbie.

12. Anne Normandin says:

Glad this is back, but why do these shows insist on getting rid of characters that are one of the reasons we watch the show. Who is running these networks- a bunch of 12yr olds?

• maggiej1956 says:

They didn’t “get rid” of Abby – Nicole wanted off the show.

• Kitty says:

I don’t know why ppl can’t understand that show runners didn’t dump NB!! SHE WANTED OUT AND THEY OBLIGED! I guess some ppl just want to bitch.

• Angela says:

And why would she want off a show where she was the leading lady off? Um…probably because she was treated terribly by the show runners. They treated her and her character as an afterthought. Her character was sidelined in season 2 and the ending of her story in season 3 was beyond ridiculous.

If the show runner promoted her as much as they did Tom Mison and respected her the same way, she wouldn’t have left. So they did push her out and good luck to them succeeding in season 4

• Marci says:

Spot on, Angela.

• wylma says:

So you don’t think it’s possible for her wanting to leave the show for another role? Stop seeing an agenda in everything.

• real insider says:

Because she didn’t like doing a tv show. Thought it was too constricting creatively. Thought the time commitment was too much for her. Thought the hours were too long. THAT is why the leading lady wanted off. Her diminished role in S2? AT HER REQUEST. You guys think you have it all figured out, and you are so wrong. About everything.

• Cali says:

She wanted off this series towards the end of the 1st season and most definitely well before the mid-season break in S2. I know that is hard for all of you in the NBC but that is reality. The problem was the producers and TPTB @ FOX did NOT relent and give her a release after she signed a 5 yr contract, which is standard for new series. It is widely known that many actors/actresses hedge their bets when they sign up for new series. Most simply do not make it. Look at the number of new shows that failed this past season. When Nicole read for SH she signed the contract. She has said in numerous articles that she did not think they would choose her since the part was never written with a specific look for the part of Abbie Mills. However once she read for the part they knew they found the actress they wanted. When SH premiered it was met with such great reviews that by the 3rd episode of the freshman season FOX renewed the show for S2. It was midway through the 1st season that “blind” items were being released about the show and about how one of the cast members was worrying about “type casting” for the part they played. They never detailed if the person was male/female. However it was attributed to Nicole. While she was still doing press for SH at this time those events started to whittle down. When S2 began fans were clamoring for events with Tom & Nicole. That was when the PR dept @ SH began releasing statements about how “busy” they both were with filming the new season and so on. A few minor segments were done for E and ET but that was the extent. They were supposed to attend Comic Con that year but bowed out at the last moment leaving fans saddened. It was at that point more pieces started appearing about how “unhappy” things were on the set and it went downhill from there.

Unfortunately none of you that believe that Nicole can walk on water want to believe that she and she alone was the reason she is no longer on the show. FOX was correct in holding her to her contract but in hindsight they should have made her buy herself out which can be done but it is very, very expensive to do and for good reason. Nicole signed a contract for 5 years. When the reality set in after the series was renewed by episode 3 of that 1st season she began to search for ways out of the contract. However that type of situation tends to fester and it did on the set. It’s much easier for the actor/actress to blame TPTB but in the long run its on the actor/actress for signing the contract. I will say this. I doubt very strongly after this situation if Nicole Behaire is ever on a network series again as a lead. Once this type of situation arises networks and producers do not take a chance on an actor/actress who has been involved in such a situation, no matter how good they may be at their craft. I personally will be very surprised to see her in any series from this point forward.

13. George says:

Read on another site that in addition Beharie not coming back that Mison is supposed to have a “reduced workload.” It was already pointless to renew the show without one lead, but if that’s true this renewal seems REALLY ridiculous.

14. Angela says:

Hmmmmm. Honestly wasn’t expecting that news.
    If they can turn the focus on Ichabod and Jenny working together to continue the legacy Abbie and Ichabod had started, I’d be willing to give the new season a look. Otherwise…we’ll see how it goes, depending on what plans they have for the new season.

15. EE says:

Well,I’m really happy it will be back

16. Why does the renewal scorecard show this as cancelled?

17. Ian says:

??????????????????????????????????????????????????

18. you have this as officially canceled on your renewed scorecard.

19. NolaNola says:

Thank God Tom Mison really deserves this show and I hope it gets better. 🎭

20. Tracee says:

Not surprising, they are not ABC – they need something to fill their programming. John Noble and Nicole Beharie got me through Season 2 but without Nicole in Season 4, I have no interest whatsoever in this show.

21. Mary Kelly says:

I am so happy Sleepy Hollow will return for season 4. But SO sad Abby will not rise from the ‘bad dream’ of death. Will really miss the interaction of Abby and Crane.

22. sam says:

Disgusting. But then, this is FOX we’re talking about, so of course they want to keep the show focused on the coward that stood back and rode on the coattails of the true hero, Abbie Mills.

• maggiej1956 says:

Are you kidding? The central character in any version of Sleepy Hollow will ALWAYS be Ichabod Crane. You can tell the story without any other character but there is no SH without Crane. Nicole started her hissy fit of wanting off the show not even halfway through season 2 – that’s over 1 year-and-a-half. I’m sure Fox and the show itself negotiated to try to keep her but she wasn’t happy with any of it but blaming Tom in any way, shape, or form is beyond ridiculous. People should consider that maybe – JUST MAYBE – what Nicole wanted was unreasonable.

• Attia Newsom says:

Doesn’t change what happened on screen. Coward Crane is canon.

• wild_child says:

In the original sure but in this re-imagining both Ichabod and Abbie were equally as important to the overall story, or at least that is how they originally sold the show to the audience before they started sidelining Nicole. You can try to downplay Abbie’s importance all you want but the fact remains BOTH she and Ichabod were witnesses who were vital to saving mankind.

Nicole did not get a “hissy fit” she was treated with utter disdain and little respect by the writers and the producers of Sleepy Hollow and as a result the ratings dropped steeply and never recovered. The fandom in general as well as several television critics and recappers noted this during the season 2 debacle, yet you seem to have some bias or unresolved issue with the actress. Get over yourself.

• amjm2014 says:

You know what Megan 1956 I’ve been on several sites today reading about the renewal of the hollow and somehow you always seem to pop up throwing out there that Nicole wanted to leave the show and that she was throwing hissy fit how do you know where you there on the set? And I agree with you yes Sleepy Hollow is not the same without Ichabod Crane orlthe Headless Horseman but this was not the Washington Irving rendition or even the the Tim Burton one so it’s whatever condition the writer and creator of the show came up with it was there and it included Nicole with that said Tom is a nice enough fellow and I followed his career because he is so good actor but I won’t be watching this season of Sleepy Hollow

• Kitty says:

Totally agree!!

• Angela says:

Hissy fit? You mean she complained that she (as the leading lady) was being pushed to the sidelines. Like you wouldn’t have a few words to say if at your workplace you were being consistently overlooked in comparison to your male counterpart.

Did you perhaps consider why she would have wanted off the show in season 2? Most likely because her character was getting no development and everything was being focused of the Crane Family Drama (which many critics agree was a bad idea and ratings dropped).

Exactly how would Nicole be unreasonable? The fact that she was probably asking questions and wondering why she was being pushed aside? Consider something for a moment, there was an interview where she stated that she was going to a comic con in England without Tom. The TPTB had told her that not expect that there would be a lot of people to see heer. She said she was surprised when she went and the place was packed full of people to see her. Why should she be happy working in place where she was neither respected nor valued.

It’s pretty disrespectful to say that she was throwing a hissy fit and that she was probably being unreasonable for wanting what we all want which is respect. SH/FOX was disrespectful to NB.

• TresL says:

All of this!!!

• real insider says:

She wasn’t pushed to the sidelines in season 2. She asked for a reduced workload. That is the only reason they focused more on Crane. This scenario you’ve all created about her supposed mistreatment is complete fiction. Everything you saw on screen that you didn’t like was done to accommodate Nicole, and she appreciated their efforts on her behalf. You have it 100% wrong.

• Cali says:

Amen, maggiej1956, amen.

A certain segment of the viewers only want to believe that FOX is the “big bad” and that poor ole little Nicole was so abused, misused, mistreated, and otherwise marginalized that she just had to leave the show because it was just an intolerable work place. You could have video proof of them bending over backwards to please her and this same group of people would say how horrid they were towards her. I predict that because of what transpired on the set of SH that Nicole will have trouble in landing any other tv show in the future. Producers, directors and cast don’t want actors/actresses that are or perceived to be trouble and she is clearly in that classification since all of this kerfuffle began back in late S1, early S2. I think she originally thought that this show wouldn’t stand a chance in hell of lasting and signed on for the typical 5 yr contract standard for a new series. When they renewed SH by the 3rd episode of S1 she began to panic, wanting out of a role she didn’t want to be typecast in. By the end of the 1st season and especially into S2 she was doing far less press events like Comic Con, Paley Fest, etc. Fans began commenting on it and the producers stated it was because of the increase in episode and a longer shooting schedule. By mid season of the 2nd season rumors began circulating she was being “mistreated/marginalized etc”. They couldn’t have Tom out doing fan fears by himself. So it was a vicious circle. In hindsight maybe they should have let her go in S2 at the midway point. Instead they turned Katrina evil to play into the shippers who were also in the NBC(Nicole Behaire Club) and that Katia was the problem. Maybe she wasn’t the problem at all but wanted out of the nonsense. I felt bad that they turned Katrina bad but the writing was on the wall. Like I said previously the writers made a huge mistake in engaging the fans of this series. It lead to a lot of this as well.

Also as a side note FOX isn’t as stupid as those who believe that Nicole walks on water and can do no wrong. They knew the backlash would come when the announcement came of renewal for S4. They know that there will be a small segment who will try to keep that going up to the premiere of S4. Trust me, if FOX didn’t have the numbers they needed for them to continue it would have been toast. They know that eventually the dust will settle.

I’m excited about S4 as are others. For those who do not wish to watch S4 here’s some advice….DON’T! No one is holding a gun to your head. It would be a real bitch if they got higher ratings now that all this drama is done wouldn’t it?

• Jen says:

Amen…..!

• real insider says:

Can’t speculate that Nicole didn’t think the show would succeed, but you are correct that she knew very early that it wasn’t for her and started to try and get out of her contract during season 1. (And you’re also right about promotion. She only did what she was contractually obligated to do. Her fans complain they didn’t “let” her do promo? Wrong. In S2 notice that she was never interviewed during on-set press junkets. Everyone but her was. There’s a reason for that. She declined all requests.)

23. Larc says:

Great news!!!

24. Jason says:

I’ve got to say I’m a bit surprised by this one. I thought for sure Sleepy Hollow would share Castle’s fate. Like Castle, it’s leading lady was integral to the show. If I’m being honest though, I’ve always preferred Lyndie Greenwood. She is an actress who doesn’t get her due and I think she’s more than capable of being Ichabod’s partner. They’ve always had fine chemistry and her characters more adventurous nature could lead to a greater sense of fun. And that’s something the show desperately needs.

25. Phillip says:

Surprising. Happy for the fans you still watch.

26. Abs says:

The Renewal Scorecard has Sleepy Hollow as “Officially Cancelled.” FYI. Thanks for keeping us all updated!!!

27. Jane says:

How does that even make any logical sense. The show is already not doing well, then they lowkey fired 1 of the lead stars, caused an uproar amongst fandom, and still continue to proceed?

• Erin B says:

She wasn’t fire. She wanted off of the show. Their contracts were up after season three, & she wanted out.

• Cali says:

Their contracts were not up. When a series premieres or gets green lighted those on the show typically get a 5 yr contract. It is very difficult to get out of these contracts. I’m sure that concessions were made (I.e., no talk/press about what lead to her wanting to leave/etc.). So for FOX to have relented and let her out of the contract a full year or so before its expiration speaks volumes.

• real insider says:

Correct. Five year contracts. At her request and by mutual agreement, FOX let Nicole out of her contract early. If it had been up to her, though, Nicole would have left after season 1. They tried to accommodate her needs for two years, but they finally let her go. She won, got exactly what she needed/wanted, and still her fans act like she’d been abused. 100% wrong.

28. KayCeeCee says:

I’m cautiously optimistic to see where the show goes next.

29. Lago says:

Well I’m totally surprised the show has been renewed after the plodding and uneven Season 3. I’m not sure how it would ever work without Abby and Ichabod chemistry and interaction. The writing simply wasn’t strong enough to hold my attention and I was just watching to see what happened between those two. Will definitely be passing on season four. Waste. Of. Time. I hope Insider is right about TM leaving after a few episodes.

30. liame says:

You can count on me to watch. I’m also keeping my fingers crossed that Nicole comes back as a different character and Abby’s Doppelganger. Cheers to another season of SH!

31. Mary S says:

I am thrilled at the return of this interesting and engrossing show! I was truly afraid i was going to lose it,,,NOW, all I need is for Code Black and Limitless to be renewed. Losing Castle and Agent Carter, and facing the final seasons of Bones, Rizzoli and Isles, and Royal Pains is more than enough loss in the same year as facing the possibility of donny being elected…I don’t think I could stand all of that loss in one year!!!

32. Little Mo says:

They didn’t drive everyone away. If that’s how people feel it’s their own fault. The central character of any show centered around Sleepy Hollow is ALWAYS going to be Ichabod Crane, not Abby Mills or anybody else. There would’ve been no need for an “Abby” character without Crane time-traveling into the 21st century. Tom and the show have fans that will stick with it. How many shows lost a prominent character and continued to be successful? – SVU loses Elliot Stabler, Grey’s Anatomy loses Derek Shepherd, L&O loses how many cast members during the 19 years it was on the air. Nicole started having a hissy fit about getting out of her contract not even halfway through season 2 and never let up on it. Season 2 went into Crane’s background which was only fair. I’m sure both the show and Fox tried to negotiate but apparently nothing was going to make Nicole happy. Abby was front and center more often than not and it looks like if Nicole couldn’t keep the lion’s share of the screen time she wanted to take her ball and go home. If she was as involved as she claims why not stay and fight for what she wanted for herself and the character of Abby? She jumped ship plain and simple. I liked Abby, too, but if that’s how she feels, no matter what she has said publically, let her go – the show will survive without her.

• Angela says:

To be fair, though, those are ensemble series. Derek, Elliot, and other various L&O characters may well have been beloved by many fans, sure, but the shows, by their very nature and setup, aren’t centered solely around two particular characters’ interactions the way “Sleepy Hollow” (or “Castle”, or “X-Files”, or any other shows of that sort) are. So they can afford to lose certain characters a little more easily than “Sleepy Hollow” can, because there’s still a wide variety of other equally as beloved characters to focus on and plenty of stories to tell about them.
      “Sleepy Hollow”, however, is now pretty much down to Ichabod and Jenny as the remaining potential favorites from the original cast. For some fans that may well be enough to keep them watching, but for many others, that won’t be the case.

• real insider says:

You are wrong. Nicole didnt want “the lion’s share of the screentime.” It was the opposite. She wanted less. Hence the increased focus on Katrina in S2. Done to accommodate Nicole’s request for a lighter workload.

33. AM68 says:

Why? There is no show without Nicole Beharie. I loved Sleepy Hollow but I will not be watching a show that is missing one of it’s two stars. The show has had terrible ratings anyway. Fox should have used Beharie’s exit as a cue to cancel the show.

34. Pat says:

Thank God. I was hoping for this to be renewed but I was also afraid that they were going to cancel this. Now I can breathe a sigh of relief.

35. The Kaibosh says:

I don’t understand people’s attitudes. A character you like leaves the show. OK, you don’t like the show anymore? Fine. Don’t like the show, don’t watch the show. But why root for a show to be cancelled? Why if people are not watching a show anymore would anyone care if it continues or doesn’t? It all comes across as oddly personal and petty.

36. csg says:

Delighted to have wandered away from Sleepy Hollow into the brilliance of “Grimm.” Good luck to Fox in raising SH from the ashes, but I am all in for the NBC series that is what SH might have been.

37. Pamela says:

I’m happy with the renewal but just like fans of castle didn’t want the show without Beckett I don’t want sleepy hollow without Abbie! I was hoping she would play another character as hinted by her quote but she isn’t in the cast list.

38. Daniel snow says:

If sleepy hollow was canceled I would have been okay about it. But now that’s it officially renewed I have to see how I feel in the moment when it returns.

39. Ethel says:

They keep this and cancel The Grinder?

40. well that is a surprise. I was sure it was getting cancelled. Curious as to how s4 will look like

41. Jared Jones says:

YAAAAAASSSS!! I’ve loved this show from the beginning and so happy it got renewed. X-Files continued on without Mulder, Sleepy Hollow can continue without Abbie. Can’t wait to see what gets cooked up for this season!

42. TJ says:

One of my guilty pleasures. With so much cancelled, at least I get one more SH season.

Yeay!

43. kmw says:

A little bit surprised but given FOX’S huge American Idol hole to fill it makes sense a little bit. But I don’t expect it back in the fall probably going to be held for mid season

44. piebokou says:

Well thank you for giving this another chance.

45. Anne says:

So they cancel Grandfathered & The Grinder but renew this?!!?

46. ..... says:

I’m not surprised it got renewed. But I also wouldn’t be surprised if Tom Mison pulls a Zach Braff ala Season Nine of Scrubs and barely shows his face. Ichabod passing on the torch to the new team that will ride this show out to syndication and all that. He has already renegotiated his amount of screen time down twice. That new haircut yeah I’m pretty sure that was part of renegotiations too. It funny because looking back at all the actors that have been dropped or killed off by the show is actually pretty big. I mean 15 big and I only counted those that showed up in multiple episodes and were seemingly more important to the show than Ichabod’s love interest (sorry Zoe). Something is clearly so rotten on this set.

Still laughing at John Noble completely dragging SH after his exit.

47. Pam says:

I was sure this one would have been canceled. I can’t imagine a new season without Nicole. So okay?

48. Sabrina says:

I am shocked that this show was renewed for another season considering its low ratings in season 3. I guess Fox didn’t have much faith in its pilots and decided to give this show another chance. I’m glad for the actors however I will not be watching.

49. GraceM says:

I’m surprised. I lost interest in the show halfway through this season because it seemed like it was stuck.

I guess FOX sees potential.

50. Cuttler says:

Those seven years of tribulation may happen after all? No, no they won’t. Ratings will tank without Abby Mills. I already took it off my DVR lineup.