Post Mortems
The Big Bang Theory Recap

Big Bang Theory Finale Conjures Up a Nightmare for Leonard and Sheldon — Plus: Season 10 Scoop!

The Big Bang Theory invented a genius new coupling in Thursday’s Season 9 finale, although you might have a tough time convincing Sheldon and Leonard of its merits.

The occasion of Leonard and Penny’s vow-renewal ceremony triggered the long-overdue arrival of Leonard’s single father Alfred (played by Taxi legend Judd Hirsch), as well as the return of Sheldon’s God-loving (and also unattached) mom Mary (Laurie Metcalf). The two quickly got their flirt on and, at the conclusion of the lamest pre-wedding dinner party ever, retired to the same hotel. And the same room. And (presumably) the same bed.

Basically, they had sex.

The episode — and the season — ended on a shot of BFFs Leonard and Sheldon recoiling at the mental picture of their parents doing the deed.

“It’s just a weird situation,” concedes showrunner Steve Molaro. “Anytime anybody’s parents are involved in anything sexual, it’s not something we like to think about as humans. So we’re kind of tapping into that.”

Season 10 will continue to mine that awkwardness, since the premiere will pick up right where the finale left off. “That is the plan,” says Molaro about foregoing any sort of time jump. “Barring a catastrophic scheduling issue, that’s what we are shooting for.”

As if there wasn’t enough family drama, the opener will also welcome Penny’s family — including dad Wyatt (Keith Carradine) — into the incendiary mix. Might we finally lay eyes on Penny’s MIA mother? “It’s a little early to say for sure,” Molaro deflects, “but we would very much like to meet Penny’s mom and her brother, as well.”

And, if time allows, we may actually see Penny and Leonard’s (second) wedding ceremony, although Molaro cautions, “There are so many moving parts that it’s too soon to say. We’ll see how far we can get in one episode.”

1. Tom says:

that was underwhelming.

2. Ralph says:

It was hilarious and sets up lots of possibilities for next season!

3. get Patrick Wilson to play Penny’s brother lol

4. Ninamags says:

This was the season finale??

Yikes. That was terrible. So boring and does not give any reason to anticipate next season.

5. Sara says:

I wish it had been longer!

6. Mark says:

Frankly, I found the scenes with Howard, Bernadette, and Raj to be the funniest part of the episode.

7. Arien says:

I liked it – but I can understand that some might have been underwhelmed, given their history of mega-cliffhanger season finales. But for once they can continue the story instead of picking up the pieces of the finale.
    I adored Christine, Judd and Laurie – I would totally watch a parental version of Big Bang with them.

8. Robert Muhsemann says:

Jenna Elfman for Penny’s mom please.

9. Hege says:

I loved the episode but as a season finale it wasn’t that good. And I really didn’t like the Howard, Raj and Bernadette storyline. I just loved Sheldons mom and Leonards parents. That was so funny.

10. Eurydice says:

I loved it. I’ll echo another poster – I would totally watch a spin-off with The Big Bang In-laws. And it’s interesting to me how Any and Sheldon have become like an old married couple – “Play with your phone, Sheldon.”

11. romanticATheart says:

I enjoyed the banter between the parents. Judd Hirsch was a good addition to the cast. This was better than most of the episodes this season, but it didn’t feel like a season finale, especially with their track record.

12. Penny Casper Moors says:

Agree with all the comments stating that, while the episode was good in and of itself, it did not feel like a season finale at all. Where was the suspense in the end? It felt like it should have been the first part of a two-part season finale. Disappointing because I expected more from this typically fab show!

13. DJR says:

If Penny and Leonard were planning to repeat their wedding for their “families,” where was Penny’s father? (I know, I know. He was busy being the POTUS.)

14. Michelle A says:

Yeah, I didn’t realize this was a season finale, lol.

15. John Galt says:

Virginia Madsen would be a dead-ringer as Penny’s mother.

16. Linda says:

At the end of it, I said ‘Is that it? That’s the season ender?’. It seemed like a regular episode and not a season finale.

17. Penny’s comment that she didn’t imagine Leonard as her second husband almost felt like Kaley Cuoco making an announcement about her relationship with Johnny Galecki.

18. Danielle says:

I hope they cast Katey Sagal as her mom. David Faustino as her brother and Christina Applegate as her sister!

19. Elizabeth Everest says:

I think Vicky Lawrence would be great as Penny’s Mother. She is funny. She would ad a great character.

20. lorne says:

Neil patrick harris as pennys brother!