Chicago Justice Series Order NBC

Chicago P.D. Spinoff Chicago Justice Ordered to Series at NBC

The Windy City officially just got more crowded: NBC has given a series order to Dick Wolf’s Chicago Justice, TVLine has learned.

The spinoff, which essentially launched with last night’s episode of Chicago P.D., follows the State’s Attorney’s prosecutors and investigators as they pursue justice. Per the official logline: “As they take on the city’s high stakes and often media-frenzied cases, they must balance public opinion, power struggles within the system and their unwavering passion for the law. It all starts with a gut-wrenching case when one of Chicago’s finest is shot in the line of duty.”

Philip Winchester (Strike Back) will play the lead prosecutor; the cast also includes Nazneen Contractor (Heroes Reborn), Carl Weathers (Rocky), newcomer Ryan-James Hatanaka and Joelle Carter (Justified).

In addition to Wolf, the series’ executive producers include Peter Jankowski, Matt Olmstead, Derek Haas, Arthur Forney and Michael Brandt.

As the broadcast networks’ annual Upfronts Week nears, the fate of the last remaining “bubble” shows will be determined, as ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and The CW get ready to reveal their schedules for the 2016-17 TV season. For easy reference, TVLine’s handy Renewal Scorecard keeps tabs of where each show stands, while our network-by-network Pilot Season Guide lists all of the new comedies and dramas up for consideration — some of which (including ABC’s Kiefer Sutherland-led Designated Survivor) have already been ordered to series.

During Upfronts Week, the broadcast networks take turns announcing and touting their shows and stars for the fall and midseason. NBC and Fox are up first, delivering their respective morning and afternoon presentations on Monday, May 16, followed by ABC (on Tuesday, May 17), CBS (Wednesday, May 18) and The CW (Thursday, May 19).

As Upfronts Week unfolds, TVLine will share the first trailers and photos for all of the new series, as well as continually update our Fall TV Grid, letting you know what will be on when, and opposite what (as well as denote what is being held for midseason).

1. Jennifer says:

Color me shocked. (NOT). Although I do like the Chicago shows.

2. Andrew Hass says:

I see this show and Chicago P.D. doing a lot of crossovers

3. Eric says:

NBC was once my favorite network but I don’t think I watch a single show on it anymore. Unfortunate that they cancelled great shows like Hannibal and Community but have room for four Chicago shows. Sigh.

4. Kevin K says:

NBC is now giving Philip Winchester a second chance even though I’m disappointed about The Player getting canceled and it was a fun high octane action series. Excited to see Michael Stonebridge teaming up with Apollo Creed.

5. Jackie says:

I don’t watch the other Chicago shows, but I’m a L&O junkie, and this cast is good, so I’m in.

• Wendy says:

Yeah, I watched L&O, CI, and used to watch SVU. I think I’ll give this one a shot.

• Debbie W says:

You might like Chicago PD. I’m a L&O junkie too and I really like that one. Fire is pretty good too. Med is terrible.

• Alisa Neely says:

NO ITS NOT…..i happen to like it, as does my mom…..and aparently OTHERS do as well…..because it has been RENEWED for another season……i LOVE the crossovers between ALL 3 shows.

• Debbie W says:

Calm down, you like it, I don’t. We all have our opinions. Nowhere did I insult people who like the show or say it wasn’t popular.

• Kathie says:

Totally disagree about Med. I love Fire and think Med is just as good. I don’t watch PD because Voight was portrayed as a dirty cop in Fire’s first season and he still is as far as I’m concerned. I’ll give Justice a look, but none of the cast names sound familiar to me.

• Debbie W says:

I liked it a lot at first, but they continually portray doctors ignoring patient’s wishes as being OK as long as they save the patient. Halstead ignoring the DNR really made me mad. DNRs exist for a reason, and arrogant doctors shouldn’t ignore them. He didn’t learn a lesson either – he was thanked by her husband at the end. I also find that they don’t really have the characters act consistently from episode to episode. I actually like most of the characters but my distaste for Halstead almost outweighs it.

• Alisa Neely says:

did you think, that MAYBE the husband only ACTED like he SUPPORTED his wifes wishes…..and that is WHY he LATER thanked Halstead for what he did?

6. Pati says:

I watched last night just for Phillip Winchester, I’ll watch the pilot but these kinda shows are not really my thing. I liked the player and loved Strike Back. I want to see him in a great show

7. Brandi says:

They are replacing New York with Chicago. That’s ok. I like ’em.

8. ? says:

Wonder how much the cast will be retooled before it makes it to air. Happened a lot to both Med and PD. When it does I hope it’s just additions and not departures.

9. Sarah D says:

Great stuff!

10. Alisa Neely says:

this THRILLS me……i wondered if that was what was going on…..i LOVED IT.

11. JD Bobb says:

If NBC is going to have four Chicago Shows, I don’t see how much longer they can continue dragging the aging, repetitive SVU along. If Dick Wolf wants the Chicago shows to be as good as they can, he’s going to have to cut the cord on SVU, and let it end before it’s legacy gets completely tarnished.

12. retsim says:

Great just what we need ! Another cop show.

13. racingphan says:

That was the worst epi of PD. I liked all of it but the new people. I knew when I saw Apollo Creed that they were doing a backdoor pilot. This is going to be on of Dick Wolf’s few failures.

• Alisa Neely says:

you CAN’T say that for a FACT……because, the show hasn’t really gotten under way YET……give it a CHANCE at least…..i think, it will round out the CHICAGO SERIES……only time will tell.

14. MangoSmoothie says:

Chicago is a nice setting fot TV dramas, but it would be refreshing if the creators could useore imagination when conceiving shows. Try something like Chicago Hair (lots of drama in weaves, braids, etc), Chicago Brats (childcare drama), Chicago Beats (art scene), Chicago Eats (food, glorious food)…

• Alisa Neely says:

what you suggest, is NOT what Dick Wolf is about…….he’s about LAW & ORDER type shows…..how long do you think, those suggestions would last?…..NOT long at all…..HOW would he spin ANY of those off from the CURRENT ones he has going?

15. nedsdag says:

My mother and I were wondering what was the name of the blonde attorney on the show. We knew the face but we could place where we saw her before: Joelle Carter was Ava on Justified. Thank you, tvline.com for clarifying who she is.

• nedsdag says:

My mother and were wondering what was the name of the blonde attorney on the show. We knew the face but we could not place where we saw her before: Joelle Carter was Ava on Justified. Thank you, tvline.com for clarifying who she is.

16. Fan says:

haven’t seen any of the Chicago shows. i watch too much TV and had to prioritize somewhere, but now that Philip Winchester is heading this new spinoff…. I’m all in. Welcome Mr. W.

17. Sarah says:

Philip Winchester and Carl Weathers were the only characters remotely interesting. I would love for the other 3 actors to be switched out with other people. I feel as though they were flat..

18. I’m very happy about this,I like all the Chicago shows,except for Med.

19. Cynthia says:

Good timing, since the Good Wife has ended. I love Chicgo Fire and Chicago PD. Unfortunetly I never connected with the characters of Chicago med. Hope this new show will be good!

20. What’s next…Chicago Transit?…..Chicago DPW?….

21. Warren says:

I positively love the Dick Wolfe drama’s. I think they are the best shows on TV hands down. And although I thought the 3 Chicago dramas was quite enough, I welcome Chicago Justice. And I will watch that one just as faithfully as I watch the others as well as Law and Order: SUV. I think the character’s in all of those shows are so down to earth and keep it real. And those shows are such a welcome relief from all of the dumbass reality shows, which have totally ruined Television. So just keep them coming Mr. Wolfe and you can bet I will keep watching.