The Big Bang Theory Recap

Big Bang Theory Finale Sets Stage for Another Epic Christine Baranski 'Slap'

Is there another epic onscreen smackdown in Christine Baranski’s immediate future?

The actress, whose Good Wife character Diane KO’d Julianna Margulies’ Alicia in the CBS drama’s incendiary series finale last Sunday, will find herself at the center of another TV showdown when she reprises her role as Leonard’s mother Beverly in Thursday’s Big Bang Theory season-ender (CBS, 8/7c). In the episode, Beverly comes face-to-face with her estranged husband Alfred (played by Judd Hirsch) and exec producer Steve Molaro confirms that fists will in fact fly (although they may be of the metaphorical variety).

“I don’t think things are going to get as physical [as they did on The Good Wife], but verbally she will slap him a few times,” previews Molaro, who describes the dynamic between the exes as “acerbic and caustic.”

Things were far less tense off screen. Molaro says the opportunity to have comedy MVPs Hirsch, Baranski and Laurie Metcalf (who’s back as Sheldon’s mom Mary) together in the same room at the same time was “a treat for all of us,” adding, “These people are legends.”

Leonard and Penny’s quasi vow-renewal provides the backdrop for the all-star episode, although viewers won’t actually see a wedding. “We won’t get that far,” Molaro reveals. “This episode takes place the night before the ceremony and there’s a lot of story to get to just in meeting Leonard’s father for the first time and reintroducing Mary and Beverly.”

Molaro also had to carve out a few minutes for the requisite cliffhanger, which he says will be lighter than the Penny/Leonard-Sheldon/Amy upheaval that closed out Season 8. “I don’t know if this is quite as explosive,” he assures, “but it’s still very character-based and extremely interesting for everybody involved.”

1. Daya says:

My dad was kind of disappointed that Penny’s dad won’t be there, but I pointed out that he was probably busy shooting the Madam Secretary finale.

2. Yep! says:

Will we ever get to see Penny’s Mother? And why would Penny’s parents not also attend?

• GraceM says:

Her mother hasn’t been cast yet and no one knows her family’s last name. I’d like to meet her brother who is always in and out of jail.

• mario says:

Looking at these previews I have to say it is disappointing to not see the re-wedding ceremony and not having Penny;s parents there. Think they could have put the ceremony in if they cut out the ridiculous scene where Howard gets pulled over by the police and then they miss the dinner. All cast members should have been at the dinner. I would hope one of the first episodes next season will show Penny and Leonard traveling to Nebraska to visit her parents since they did not see for their engagement either. Or this episode could have been an hour long to accomodate all the scenes

3. I hope Christine Baranski will be on BBT a lot more now.

4. Marci says:

Christine Baranski and Judd Hirsch playing ex’s? This will be a real treat–love them both. And having Laurie Metcalf there as well will be the cherry on top of the sundae.

5. mike says:

It looks like from the spoiler and photos, Leonard and Sheldon are going to be stepbrothers hence the slap. It could be fun to add to next season, now Sheldon and Leonard are forever attached!

6. GraceM says:

Not that I’m unhappy with Laurie Metcalfe returning to the show, especially when her character and Christine Baranski’s get to see each other again (and battle it out again), but I’m curious as to why she’s at the wedding. I didn’t think she was that close to Leonard and Penny.

Glad to see that Beverly has a few more scenes with Amy and Bernadette, I’ve been wanting to see her meet and interact with these two for a while. Can anyone tell me if Mary and Bernadette have met?

Looks like Mary and Alfred have hit it off, judging from the pictures. A lot better then with his ex-wife. A possible future romance?

I also noticed Bernadette still isn’t showing. I guess she’ll pop with the season premiere in the fall. I’m guessing a November sweeps baby.

7. Sheldon’s mother shows up for Penny and Leonard’s wedding do-over but not her own son’s birthday party? Odd…

8. sue says:

I have loved Big Bang since the fist episode, however, I no longer feel the actor’s hearts are in it. I don’t find it funny anymore either. I cannot see this series going on much longer.

9. jack says:

love this show!

10. Jonathan says:

I don’t understand why this show, a sitcom, has become so obsessed with cliffhangers that they force one in every year now. The last two season finales were horrible and came out of nowhere. I can’t even imagine what they will pull out of the bag next. They do realize they’re not The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones? What’s wrong with wrapping some things up for a change? I don’t watch sitcoms for cliffhangers, I watch them to have a laugh.

11. purpleslog says:

I don’t think the author of the article knows what a “KO” is.

12. NBA says:

Incredibly individual pleasant site. Astounding details offered on few clicks