Quantico Recap Season 2 Episode 21

Quantico Recap: No, Seriously, We're Pretty Sure the Real Terrorist Is...

Need to catch up? Check out last week’s Quantico recap here.

Now, it’s entirely possible that the headline for next week’s Quantico recap will be: “Sorry, TVLine Readers, But I Had as Tough a Time as You Did Telling Who Was and Wasn’t Lying on This Show, So Here’s the Really Real Terrorist For Real.” But, absent any more left turns from the ABC drama, it looks like Liam — and not Drew, as the last episode led us to believe — is the mastermind behind all the bombings, voices and Alex-mind-effing that’s gone down this season.

How’d we come to that conclusion? Read on for the highlights of “Right.”

NOT DREW? WHO KNEW? | Alex is in Ryan’s truck, driving through the city, listening to Drew’s voice give her directions via the speakers and worrying that the nuclear bomb riding shotgun is going to be the death of her and everyone around her. Thankfully, she’s also got her own phone on speaker, so Shelby can hear everything that’s happening. And once she grabs Sen. Haas’ attention and drags her to the FBI, they both convince Miranda that Alex is a victim in all of this — and that the bureau needs to throw everything behind finding Drew.

So, with a newly re-FBI’d Caleb and Raina’s help, the FBI tracks the signal to an address… where Drew and Simon are shackled to chairs. Wait, what? Yeah, the voice isn’t actually Drew’s — or rather, it’s Drew’s, but someone else is using it to tell Alex what to do. After Simon breaks Drew’s thumb (with his permission) to free them from their constraints, Simon manages to get out before the FBI busts in. But Ryan’s team trips a bomb connected to the door, and it’s unclear what becomes of Drew in the aftermath. (Though Drew’s last-minute grab-the-mic moment helped Alex realize he wasn’t the true terrorist, it likely put his life in even greater danger.)

THE BIG REVEAL (AGAIN) | When Alex comes to a stop, the FBI bomb team closes in, and Simon tells her through the window that the bomb doesn’t have a receiver, and she can open the door without setting it off. So she does (though there’s a moment where there’s a good possibility they’ll repeat the old “you can let go of the detonator” thing from the day Elias jumped out the hotel window).

Once everyone is safe, Nimah & Co. wonder what the bomber wanted by sending Alex on this chase. And as Claire — who has suspended her campaign for vice president (side note: isn’t it technically her running mate who would make that call?) — praises Alex in a press conference, all the FBI agents get a notice that the bomb has gone missing; only high ranking agents knew where it was. Question: Was one Agent Ryan Hardy assigned to keeping it safe?

Next thing we know, Miranda is sneaking into a house with her gun drawn. On a desk, she finds schematics for doing stuff with bombs and computer monitors with video feeds from Alex’s apartment, Shelby’s apartment, FBI headquarters, etc. And when someone enters behind her, she faces him and says she knew he was behind it the minute that footage showing the bomb in the FBI parking garage was leaked to the press.

Yep, it’s Liam. He’s got the nuke in, like, a reusable grocery bag, and crazy eyes on fleek. “Why are you doing this?” she asks. “To make things right,” he says, after shooting her.

TWO FOR THE ROAD? | Back at Quantico, it’s almost graduation time — but the twins will miss the ceremony, because they’re going to infiltrate the terrorist cell earlier than previously thought. Raina has cold feet and calls Simon, who pitches a life (perhaps a shared one) where they make the world better by working for the private sector. She waffles. Nimah says her sister has to make her own decision, and… sorry, Simon.

At the last minute, the Amin sisters’ handler says they’ll be at graduation, after all: The cell op is going to wait a week.

Quantico Recap Season 1 Episode 21MISSING MOM | A letter actually from Shelby’s mom — and not a fake from Caleb — sends her on a mission to lure her parents into the United States with a fake immunity deal so they can be prosecuted for their crimes. Alex and Caleb both find out, with the latter visiting Mrs. Wyatt first and telling her to run and leave Shelby alone. But neither of them know that Clayton is helping (though, if so, why didn’t he just procure a fake immunity agreement rather than make the NAT do it herself?).

Anyway, by the time Shelby arrives at her mom’s room, she’s gone. And when Alex later finds her back on campus, the blonde is very unhappy with Ms. Parrish. “You want to talk about a mistake I will spend the rest of my life regretting? How about meeting you?” Shelby spits, kicking Alex out of her room, and it occurs to me that these two break up more often than Alex and Ryan do (though this is the reason they don’t like each other at the beginning of the season in the future storyline, or so I hear).

SOUL CRUSHER | During the week’s lesson — how to deal with the aftermath of a terrorist attack — Alex becomes privy to some information from her father’s handler during the Omaha bombing: In an attempt to move the Nebraska terrorist group they infiltrated to do something illegal, Alex’s dad and Liam provided the bad guys with the blueprints that helped them get the awful job done at the federal building.

When Ryan confronts his boss about it later, Liam sounds contrite and guilty, noting that Alex’s father wanted to come clean about what happened, but “they” wouldn’t let him. “I thought Chicago was a mistake, but it was a pattern,” Ryan says, refusing Liam’s offer of a job in D.C.

Later, Alex proposes a two-week getaway with Ryan before she starts her job in New York and he starts what she assumes will be his new gig in Washington. He looks happy and sad at the same time, and doesn’t set her straight about his next assignment.

1. Amanda says:

I’m a little disappointed because I suspected him from the beginning. Was really hoping for a bigger twist.

2. Stephon JS says:

I really hope it was Caleb

3. I CALLED IT FROM DAY ONE!!!!

4. Over it says:

Gave up on the show weeks ago, but I always thought Liam would turn out to be the bad guy.

• Bob says:

Yeah I gave up on it after the midseason break. Too much back and forth. And I figured it was him from the beginning, too.

5. Amanda says:

Yea, I wasn’t impressed…I will stand by the fact that the first season should have been focused on their time at Quantico and not these flash forwards! We still don’t know how Ryan and Natalie got together or what happened between him and Alex…..or why should we even care about these characters…I expected more from Miranda too…

• dan says:

They dropped the Natalie story in the past when they killed her in the future. Complete plot fail!

• ? says:

Maybe the actress wasn’t available. It’s a major plot hole, but the show is full of major plot holes. I’m not coming back next season, but I’ve decided to see this one through.

• Rob Martin says:

who said she’s dead, correct me if I am wrong, but a body was never found.

• SHONDA LAUREL says:

And according to Josh Safran we won’t get to see how Natalie /Ryan got together, we will be left to figure it out on our own.

6. James says:

I said it before and I’ll say it again- this show would have been so much better as a limited series event of about 10-13 episodes with a definite finish and no second season, regardless of ratings. Heck, the mid-season break killed it anyways in the ratings department, so that doesn’t even matter. But think about it. If this was 10-13 episodes, we wouldn’t have had to deal with so many dumb red herrings brought about with weak plots and dumb side stories and we would have had all the meat and potatoes handed to us for a very exciting run. Instead, we ended with 22 episodes that started strong, began to drag, and then ended up losing so many viewers due to poor writing and unbelievable plots. I’ll watch the finale next week but I am out as far as season 2 goes.

7. Night Owl says:

I thought it was Liam for sure during the entire first half of the season, for numerous reasons. Just some of the things he did, like having Alex watched from the beginning, and trying to get her tossed. It just seemed like he viewed her as a threat to something. Also, wasn’t he the one that decided that the FBI should shoot to kill Alex? It just seemed like it was him and he took hold of anything that would make it seem like Alex was involved.

However, in the second half of the season, I started feeling like we’ve been watching the fall of Shelby all season too, but I couldn’t dismiss Liam completely. Of course, the voice most often sounded like you could hear Shelby’s voice out of all the others, and things seemed to add up in her direction.

Somehow, I still wonder if she is involved in it with Liam. Apparently Josh Safran mentioned that he couldn’t say if anyone else is involved, so she could still be involved, although less likely.

8. dan says:

How can a show built around intrigue, mystery, espionage, double crossing and terrorism be so boring? I could barely keep my eyes open waiting for the “big” reveal. Hands up if you pegged Liam as the culprit way back when he was the drunken mess who couldn’t get out of bed to come to work. Is it even worth watching the season finale?

9. Bryan says:

It was really actually so easy to figure out that Drew is not the terrorist. He’s being thrown under the bus almost the 1st half of the episode

10. Kevin K says:

Don’t know if next week’s season finale will be the end for Liam or someone else.

• letstalk says:

maybe next week we will know, that Liam is also taking someone’s orders to “save” everybody by actually killing everybody.
      what can we say from this show – that FBI is rediculous organisation, where everybody will obey some new girl. no subordination, no real team work. where is all the secrecy and special access to the cases?
      take last week’s episode. this super alex took charge over the long lasting agents – just thinking, that somebody failed doing their job. not asking any questions – she asked her classmate to surveil,which appeared to be long-term operation for the real agents. and what they did? nothing, nobody even gave her the speach of what is wrong.
      in this episode – she’ve snitched at shelby’s affairs, while doing her own personal research about her father – and again. everybody are against shelby, and forgot about alex’s breach of security.
      and what about clearance for the access to the case info. everybody tells everyone about secret undercover operations. do they know what the word SECRET mean?
      why everybody tell Alex about their secret operations, they endanger everybody! How Liam could tell Ryan about his operation?
      and again.. do the showrunners take a look at the characters? take a look at caleb’s hair! at the beginning of the show he had nice haircut – both at the quantico base and after – when he was agent. and now – by the end of the study he has rather long one, and same he has when he is junky now?
      and this “after saving everybody from bomb” on TV with mrs Haas. why have they shown ALex?she saved everybody? how? by not reporting to anybody about such threat? by doing more damage?
      oh yes, she can always say her “PLEASE” and everybody will help her.
      i always thought that, FBI was cool organisation, which has rules, subordination but this show is showing it like kindergarden…
      sorry for a lot of words. but this was a nice idea of the show, but somehow it got spoiled.

11. TwoMinuteBrotha says:

Man, I’ve got to admit, you guys are the most intelligent viewers of a show I’ve ever seen. I never drop by places like this and every negative thought I’ve had about this show, it’s already been said. It’s too confusing to follow and I don’t care one lick about any of the characters. The ho-hum speeches Liam gives the classes are so predictable and trite. It feels like he’s reading from a teleprompter. This show had potential but they blew it. I’m not emotionally vested in any of the characters except maybe Simon. I hate Alex, Ryan, Shelby, Liam. If they all get killed in the finale, I’ll be glad. But I wont be that lucky

• Sheila says:

How great would it be if the finale had every character killed except Simon, who smirks and walks off? Because this really is a group of unlikable characters.

12. Vonnie says:

Why would he choose Alex to be the scale goat though? And why that particular class? Need more back story to his reasoning!

• Carla Krae says:

Next week. If you go to EW, the boss said Liam’s how and why are explained in the finale.

• Jan says:

I think her father and Liam being in some horrible situatution and Liam blames her dad and is taking it out on her….also it has never been explained about Simon and his bomb making jewlers connection.

13. Mary says:

I gave up on the show around midseason, but at the time I was torn between Liam and Caleb. At this point, for me it could be anyone, tbh…

14. dude says:

This is what happens when you let Joshua Safran shepherd a series. It always turns into a mess. Just look at Gossip Girl.

15. Alicia Gray says:

Dime Eyes had Crazy Eyes. #CougarTown #Quantico :)

16. Tracy288 says:

Honestly, I’m past the point of caring. There’s a few shows that I’m going to have to seriously think about recommitting to for next season and this is one of them

17. Stephen says:

I am just enjoying all the twists and turns.
    Though I do understsnd why Liam is doing it. To “protect” us from the “bad guys”. Liam did the blueprints for the same reason. Those “good doers” are dangerous.

18. JM says:

Really disappointed that Miranda was killed. She was one of the few characters (along with Simon and the twin that likes him–always confuse their names) that I liked.

19. Paula turner says:

This show is getting tedious. Cant we just watch it in real time please

20. VegasGal72 says:

I like this show and haven’t really had a hard time keeping up with the back and forth. I picked Liam from the start so it was fun to see that I was actually right. There are still a lot of questions that haven’t been answered so I hope that the season finale will answer them. Where is Will? Iris? Who shot Ryan in the very beginning of the season when this all started? Cant wait to see where it will go.

21. tooba says:

starting to remind me of pretty little liars. stupid high school girls who fall intro traps… THIS IS THE FBI, who is supposed to be the most intelligent– cant even find answers

22. DD says:

Kimberly, small but significant mistake in the recap: Miranda isn’t the one who wondered what the bomber wanted. She had already left earlier to go to what appears to be Liam’s apartment…

23. Gerri. says:

I think the aftermath with drew was he was blown up. He can’t be in more danger.
    I still like the show. I didn’t bet on anyone at the beginning. I am not sure the writers even knew.
    Why did Miranda go alone? Secrets are the best way to get killed, unless she is still alive. Not caring too much about Quantico timeline now.
    I’ll watch next season. Could be good.

24. Sissy says:

Each episode I kept watching to see if the show would get better. How in the world did the network think that 20 + weeks of the same thing would interest anyone. We knew the terrorist would have to be someone Alex slept with since she seemed to make her way around Quantico.
    I am sorry, but my days of watching are over.

25. Martin says:

I still think it is the senator behind it. The need for “theatrics” etc and her heroically suspending her campaign in order to stop the attack. Maybe stopping at nothing to get elected?

26. Vivek Nehra says:

Everyone believed that it was Liam from the start cuz they made the start like this. After the mid-season, they just tossed the “Who is the real terrorist” ball to everyone at quantico. I really liked it that it came back to Liam. Love the show, definitely gonna watch season 2 no matter what anyone says. Great work by the cast.

27. Dude says:

does anyone still care anyway? This show has become so ridiculous after the first few good episodes.

28. Robert says:

I cannot keep the ducks in a row for this show, or even in the same time frame. And professional liars seem capable of corrupting even “hello” and “goodbye”. Time for a genuine goodbye.

29. Does it bother anyone else when fictional shows give explanations for real tragedies? Did I miss something about the FBI being responsible for the Oklahoma City bombing? I didn’t like it when X-Files made the claim that the Smoking Man was the second gunmen in the JFK assassination.

30. L says:

i am just happy the terrorist didn’t turn out to be Simon (unless they give us a major twist in the finale where its shown he was the mastermind all along, in which case i’m gonna be really pissed). i dont care about anything else. Liam was shady from first episode so not muc suprise there.
    the shocker would have been if the terrorist turned out to be Alex herself.

31. L says:

i am just happy the terrorist didn’t turn out to be Simon (unless they give us a major twist in the finale where its shown he was the mastermind all along, in which case i’m gonna be really pissed). i dont care about anything else. Liam was shady from first episode so not much suprise there.
    the shocker would have been if the terrorist turned out to be Alex herself.

32. priyankafan says:

honestly i just watch this show because priyanka chopra is so damn sexy otherwise i would not care to watch this show. the most obvious suspect is the terrorist.

33. Praneeth says:

I doubt that Ryan is also involved…because in the first episode.. he was shot on the shoulder….and he tells he doesn’t know who shot him….so either he must have shot himself or somebody shot him ..that too staring into his eyes….. Who knows.. the last may lead to Ryan Booth…instead of Liam O’Connor

34. Nudda says:

This show is sooo boring.

35. Jan says:

so dissapointed in the entire series……I have watched it….some even twice…..but the writers are jerking us around…….like how long can we keep these viewers looking for the Wizard…but the nevergive us the yelllow bricks to follow……..they have made such a mess of the enrire story lines there is no way to figure out the VOICE ….so they just throw in another twist because they do not know how to connect it all and make sense. It could have been a good series…years of new story line……..BIG Mess…….

36. Sarah says:

I didn’t want him to be the terrorist !!!!!! Now they’re going to kill him off. He’s my favourite on the show

37. Mandy says:

I believe Liam targeted Alex because she was getting too close to the truth about her father and he was running out of people to cover for him.

38. Sarah says:

If Alex isn’t the one who “makes the ultimate sacrifice” in the finale, there’s no way I’m watching season 2. There is seriously no more annoying character on television right now… and the actress who plays her just proves the biggest problem with American television: who gives a **** if you have any acting ability whatsoever – just be really pretty (and have a great publicist who turns you into the “what the **** is she doing here?” of awards season), and you’ll get handed the lead role on a network show. Is just a smidgen of talent too much to ask???