Criminal Minds Renewed

Criminal Minds Renewed for Season 12

File this one under, “Better late than never“: CBS has renewed Criminal Minds for a 22-episode 12th season, TVLine has learned.

Criminal Minds this season averaged 9 million total viewers — besting fellow vets Hawaii Five-0, NCIS: LA and The Good Wife, as well as bubble freshman Supergirl, Limitless and Code Black — and a 1.8 demo rating, third only on the network to Big Bang and NCIS. Those numbers swell to 12.8 mil and 3.0 with Live+7 DVR playback. This week’s Season 11 finale (8.8 mil/1.8) matched the crime drama’s year-ago season ender.

Financial issues delayed the pricey procedural’s renewal; CBS was reportedly busy hammering out a leaner license fee for the long-running series. The recent loss of original cast member Shemar Moore (Derek), who was written out in March, likely helped reduce costs.

The jury is still out on rookie spinoff Criminal Minds: Beyond Boarders. Other CBS series still on the bubble: Rookie dramas Code Black, Limitless and Supergirl, freshman comedy Life in Pieces, and, last but not least, ratings-challenged and buzz-deprived CSI: Cyber.

As the broadcast networks’ annual Upfronts Week nears, the fate of the last remaining “bubble” shows will be determined, as ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC and The CW get ready to reveal their schedules for the 2016-17 TV season. For easy reference, TVLine’s handy Renewal Scorecard keeps tabs of where each show stands, while our network-by-network Pilot Season Guide lists all of the new comedies and dramas up for consideration — some of which (including ABC’s Kiefer Sutherland-led Designated Survivor) have already been ordered to series.

During Upfronts Week, the broadcast networks take turns announcing and touting their shows and stars for the fall and midseason. NBC and Fox are up first, delivering their respective morning and afternoon presentations on Monday, May 16, followed by ABC (on Tuesday, May 17), CBS (Wednesday, May 18) and The CW (Thursday, May 19).

As Upfronts Week unfolds, TVLine will share the first trailers and photos for all of the new series, as well as continually update our Fall TV Grid, letting you know what will be on when, and opposite what (as well as denote what is being held for midseason).

1. Whatevah says:

This made my day! YAY..thank you!

2. Jennifer says:

oh Thank God! Happy to hear this. Now if only we’d hear about Code Black, Beyond Borders, CSI: Cyber (I know, really big long shot) and some of the comedies, I’ll be a happy camper!

3. Kevin K says:

That’s great news. Hope its spin-off Beyond Borders gets renewed soon.

4. mike says:

now waiting to here about supergirl and Limitless

• JenJ says:

This is so great to hear. I understand there were financial reasons, but it was ridiculous for a show with such high ratings to have been kept from renewal for so long. I am now waiting to hear about Supergirl, which I sure do hope that CBS wlll renew.

5. Angela says:

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! That’s great news. Whew. Looking forward to the show’s return in the fall, then :)!
    Glad to see it’s still got a strong viewership as well. Not an easy feat for older shows sometimes.

6. Tori says:

Bless you, CBS.

7. bj says:

Glad to hear this. I hope we hear about Code Black soon too.

8. Cas says:

Phew. I may start trusting more strangers if I didn’t have my weekly dose of CM to remind me why not to! :)

• AHW says:

I know what you mean; I’m always deciding against doing certain things because I think it’s dangerous after seeing it on CM. I still love this show. The season finale felt chilling with all those serial killers on the loose.

9. Awesome news. I just love this show

10. Wendi Denman says:

Terrific news. Code Black and CSI:Cyber would really make my day.

• JenJ says:

I love CSI Cyber, don’t know why it’s always gotten such bad comments. But the truth is, I don’t think it has much of a chance since the network seems to have ignored it, and it is rarely talked about by them. Besides, the show basically wrote itself off in the season’s ending, with everybody going on to new jobs and directions.

11. Mr. Smith says:

Good news!

12. Brooklyngirl says:

Very good news! I hope they renew Code Black!

13. CSI: Cyber is my only loss out of 64 shows this year! I’m so happy!

14. Phun says:

Good for the fans of Criminal Minds! Hope CBS doesn’t keep us waiting until the 18th for news on Supergirl!

15. JM Schmidt says:

Beyond Boarders? Seriously? A drama about the residents of a boarding house???

• Paige says:

Lol! Great catch although a drama about the residents at a boarding house might be more interesting! I’ve tried, but just can’t get into this CM spinoff and I’m a Gary Sinise fan.

• Bella says:

Kids at a boarding school find a portal to another world…

16. Josh says:

Just wanna hear that Supergirl gets a season 2

17. Susan says:

I am so thrilled! This and the Good Wife are all I watch on CBS. I am sorry to see my other favorite show leave.

18. fran potvin says:

Get rid of Aisha Tyler. She is a terrible part of the cast. There must be someone better for this part. Her acting and personality is no where near the veteran cast members! This is one of my favorite tv shows. Hope she goes!

• dan says:

And not to be shallow, but…what is with that wig she wears? In the season finale I just kept looking at her hair and I couldn’t pay attention to anything she was saying or doing.

• AHW says:

Julianna Margulies has been wearing awful wigs through all of The Good Wife, but I don’t let it distract me from the show, which I love. I like Aisha Tyler and her character; I hope she stays. Thanks, CBS, for renewing one of my favorite shows.

19. herman1959 says:

Last night, I caught Beyond Borders for the first time. It was OK, but there was nothing to distinguish it from a few other shows. CBS could afford to let it go and renew Supergirl.

20. sludge says:

Gave up on past 2 years. just too much icky stories & so same. Surprised doing so well. Might say something about state of National mood? I like some of new shows Supergirl, Limitless grew on me. Less so for the CM: BB, but there is hope in those new ones.

21. dan says:

Add Rush Hour to the list of bubble shows waiting for renewal news (unless it has already been cancelled; I can’t imagine it’ll be back). Hoping for good renewal news on Supergirl, Limitless and Code Black. I’d also like Life In Pieces to return even though I only saw it a handful of times (I find it funnier than most of the CBS comedies).

22. iHeart says:

good grief is CBS in financial trouble?

23. Cynthia says:

Love CSI Cyber. I think they just haven’t been doing the promotional circuit. Maybe CBS thought it could ride the coattails of the other CSIs. I like the fact that Patricia Arquette has such a strong lead roll and the relationship building between her character and Ted Danson is an interesting story because of his change in status from boss to subordinate.

24. Mary Embry says:

Thank you for renewing Crimibal Minds for Season 12! Great drama, intriguing characters, great acting and directing!

25. Karen Douds says:

Yay! Now they need to renew Life in Pieces and I will be happy.

26. Susie says:

Yes yes yes. Thank God n CBS

27. denise says:

CBS has DEFINITELY made my day by renewing Criminal Minds. I have Thomas Gibson and company for another year. I am such a huge Thomas Gibson fan. As Hotch he is a wonderful actor. Now if CBS will just renew The Odd Couple I’ll be happy.

28. Leslye says:

Thank heavens!!
    I was beginning to worry!

29. Brock says:

So happy now. CBS had got to renew Supergirl & Life in Pieces!

30. Jim J. says:

If they’re always talking about reducing costs in order to let “Criminal Minds” continue its original run, then I wonder if “Criminal Minds” will switch from all-caps closed-captioning to mixed-case closed captioning, like most of the other scripted shows on CBS, for next season? Aside from “Code Black” and its “Beyond Borders” spin-off, “Criminal Minds” is currently the only program on CBS to use all-caps CC, which it has used since the beginning of its run.

31. michelle hamilton says:

YYYYEEEESSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

32. Emily says:

Bold prediction: Beyond Borders does not get renewed and Daniel Henney joins Original Recipe for season 12.

33. Jenny Harp says:

Whew glad to hear about Criminal Minds. Now come on Code Black

34. Pat says:

So very happy to hear this. Now CBS get off your bubble and renew Super Girl, Code Black, Criminal Minds, Beyond Borders, Limitless and yes, CSI Cyber. I am so tired of them stretching this out.

35. Julie says:

Thank you thank you … Love Criminal Minds so HAPPY there’s a Season 12 😀😄

36. Julie G says:

Thank you CBS … Love Criminal Minds 😄👍🏻

37. Julie G says:

Thank You CBS .. Love Criminal Minds 😀😀

38. piebokou says:

Best news ever !! after that Castle nonsense :D

39. Beverly Dyer says:

Very glad Criminal Minds is coming back. Love the show! Wish Paget Brewster would agree to come back. Not fond of Grandfathered! Also like new CM Beyond Borders!

40. YES YEAH! !!!! GO TEAM “CRIMINAL MINDS” ….. Get SHAMAR BACK. BEG $$$$ BORROW $$$$$$ PAY. ANYTHING BUT… GET BACK THE REAL DEREK MORGAN !!!

41. Martha Pacheco says:

So happy Criminal Minds will continue this year, it’s my favorite program. Although Shemar Moore is gone, which I’m very sad about, it continues to be the most exceptional program, ,,keep up the awesome work guys, ,I will always watch.

42. John hibert says:

CBS finally did the right thing with Criminal Minds. Super girl and Code Black are also good shows they need to renew

43. Abi says:

YESSSS!

44. Nancy says:

Shemar Moore left because he wanted to extremely happy that the show is back and we need you please let go of rush hour the show its sucks is terrible. Criminal Minds Beyond borders needs to be a little bit more gross and CSI cyber needs to go.

45. Abby says:

Now they can renew CM:BB! Fingers crossed! Come on, CBS!

46. justiceisrare says:

I am happy o know that Criminal Minds is returning, and when. I also wish Shemar Moore the very best, he will be missed but, he has a baby on the way I read, and a wife, so I wish them all my best. I also read Shemar Moore will be back on Criminal Minds when they need him. His career I guess is going very well, I hope so!! Silvia

47. Bill says: