Person of Interest Final Season Ratings

Ratings: Person of Interest Returns Up From Year Ago, Bests Limitless Finale

CBS’ Person of Interest opened its fifth and final season on Tuesday night with 7.4 million total viewers and a 1.2 rating (per finals), up in the demo from both its Season 4 finale (8.2 mil/1.1) and Limitless‘ week-ago freshman finale (5.6 mil/1.1), and off just a tenth from Limitless‘ Season 1 average (7.1 mil/1.3).

TVLine readers gave the long-awaited Season 5 opener an average grade of “A.”

Opening the Eye’s night, NCIS (14.9 mil/1.9) was steady with FLOTUS’ drop-by, while New Orleans (12.6 mil/1.8) hit three-week highs.

Elsewhere in the ratings….

ABC | Fresh Off the Boat (4.2 mil/1.1) slipped two tenths to match its season low, while Real O’Neals (3.3 mil/0.9) and Agents of SHIELD (2.9 mil/0.9) each dipped a tenth, with the latter returning to its all-time low.

THE CW | The Flash (3.34 mil/1.3) and Containment (1.4 mil/0.5) were steady.

NBC | The Voice (8.6 mil/1.6) slipped 15 and 20 percent to Tuesday lows for this cycle. Chicago Med (7.6 mil/1.5) was down 15 and 16 percent, while Fire (7.8 mil/1.6) dipped one tenth.

FOX | New Girl (2.3 mil/1.0) matched last week’s 8 o’clock outing, while Grandfathered (1.8 mil/0.7) ticked up. Leading out of a second New Girl (1.9 mil/0.9), The Grinder (1.5 mil/0.5) dipped a tenth to a series low in the demo.

1. rebecca says:

Go POI! It’s a shame the network couldn’t care less about this show.

• xyz says:

It is too expensive to produce. Filming on the streets of new york city (or any where in NYC) is alarmingly expensive. This is why it wouldn’t be picked up by another company.

• Jake says:

Not sure why they couldn’t have changed the storyline to say that the group moved their operation to some other city (where it’s cheaper to shoot) to better avoid detection by Samaritan. Would have made complete sense and then POI could have continued.

2. velhaquacker says:

Sigh.

3. theovog says:

I have a lot of indecent words to describe CBS right now.

4. CBS never deserved this show, if they ever reboot (which they’ve said is possible) it it should go to somewhere that deserves it.

5. Kevin K says:

Great to see POI finally coming back after being on hiatus for almost a year (picking up where last season ended).

6. Max says:

I thought the Limitless finale was last week. There was a new one last night?

• Kevin K says:

Limitless wraps up its season “last week” but no word yet whether it’s going to get renewed or cancelled by CBS.

• BrightLight says:

The Limitless finale was last week. Matt was using the ratings for it as a comparison to POI’s return in the same timeslot last night.

7. Peeeeeeek says:

Yes, because of Reese (Root was terrible!) ratings will stay stable….
    ….Until Shaw (Sarah Shahi) comes back. Root and Shaw will turn the quality down. Like always.

8. Bill J. says:

**”That said, POI was down 30 and 33 percent from its previous premiere and off 22 and 20 percent from its Season 4 average.”**

Matt Webb Mitovich you are comparing apples to oranges with the above comment. The previous premiere was in the month of September (2014, no less) when viewership is usually much higher than in the spring, so there really is no comparison. However, last year’s finale was on May 5, so comparing that to this year’s premiere (on May 3) is actually a more honest comparison. I realize the network is ONLY interest in making money, but I truly feel it is making a big mistake in letting this one go. I’d rather see it as a summer series with a limited number of episodes than to see it canceled.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Bill, calm. I led with (and headlined) the better comparisons. But PvsP must always be noted, and I trust our exceptionally smart readers to remember that S4 opened in fall.

• KLS says:

Other weird comparison is that Limitless’ finale had repeats of NCIS as lead-ins and POI had 2 new shows. So, POI should be higher, unless you think that all finales should be higher then regular season shows.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Limitless‘ most recent episode leading out of bakery-fresh NCISes actually put up the same numbers — 5.6 mil/1.1.

9. Anon says:

I hope fox follows the ratings and keeps grandfathered over grinder if they cant keep both. I know that grinder has more possibilities because it is owned completely by fox, but grandfathered seems to have better ratings, and i need a second season of that show.

10. Freddie says:

Is it just me or do the POI numbers only prove that networks would do well to move towards a “shorter seasons” model wherein different shows air summer, fall and spring?

Whatever anyone thinks of the last season or of this or that character, POI didn’t get better during its hiatus. Maybe more people tuned in because it is the last season. But I would imagine that the long hiatus also created a natural suspence to see what would come next.

11. Murica! says:

This show should never been cancelled. The premiere was amazing!! It’s still the best show on tv and it has been for years!

12. Boiler says:

For those of you so invested in the demo, I am not one of them, it is interesting to see the demo for New Girl equal to Shield. In a way sort of nice to see The Voice tumble. These shows are getting old with no talent at all

13. Lavender says:

I read another article that stated “The Voice” hit an all time ratings low last night.

True?

14. Gerald says:

Limitless’s numbers are still solid and should be renewed on that alone. Plus the fact that is it awesome!!
    Flash was great. Looking forward to next week.
    SHIELD I thought would start to get a push with the Captain America movie coming out soon. There was a brief reference to Civil War in it by HIVE.

15. Jason says:

I suppose, at the end of the day, the ratings don’t really matter much. POI is ending one way or another. The premiere was great and one of my favorite shows is getting to end on it’s own terms and true to it own nature (unlike Castle). That’s really all I can ask for.

• Ro says:

Agreed.

• dioxinblues says:

Yeah, it’s a moot argument to make for the canceled show. That said, I am happy it did as well as it did given it was as hobbled by CBS – delayed a year, zero promotion, insane schedule, etc. – as The Machine was by Harold.

It’s going to be one of those shows that people keep “discovering” for years and years.

• MachineParts says:

I agree. I can see viewers discovering the show 10 years from now going “why the he11 was this cancelled?”

16. Mac says:

POI did alright all things considered. No promotion, hasn’t aired in a year, etc.

17. charlie says:

I had no idea POI was even back last night, and it’s one of my favorite shows!

18. Nan says:

POI was so good…hard to believe this show is cancelled…so relevant to what is happening today

19. peterwdawson says:

Ugh… Will you stop calling out specific programs that were beaten by premieres? It’s entirely unnecessary.

20. Craig says:

I’ved read althoug POI will have a finish. Will be open ended for possible continuation. Would be nice if Netflix might pick it up if at all possible. Great show.

21. POI_Fan says:

The POI is a great family – all the pieces fit together nicely – Finch, Reese, Fusco, Shaw, Root and Bear. They didn’t start out as a family, but that is how they are ending. If this ending is heartbreakingly inevitable, then I hope the ending will be a happy one for the family. Yes I said it people — a HAPPY ending – no family deaths (non-life threatening injuries are acceptable), no bloody uncertain finales (Yes I’m talking to you Sopranos) — let it end on a positive note. I know the “artistes”out there are rolling their eyes at the thought of a happy ending for all, but I don’t give a cr@p. I just wanna end with pleasant memories .. or even a ‘YEAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!” blow-my-mind kind of AMAZINGLY great ending. Whichever will do.

• Ominus says:

Well, as much as I’d love to see all these characters getting a -deserved- happy ending, I really don’t think there will be one. The showrunners also said they ”filled their quota” regarding deaths; either that’s to throw us off, or truth…

Nevertheless, this show was, in its core, never about happiness or finding it. It’s always been realistically harsh in what the main characters endured. The happiest ending one can hope for is that whoever survives, will live on prosper. I myself think either two outcomes;

Shaw & Root survive and live merrily with their ”child” Bear as they handle the Irrelevants.

Finch & Reese survive in a form of pure irony. (Despite foreshadowing in the Pilot that this job would ”most likely cost us our lives.”) With the dog.

All die, but Fusco, Bear and the Machine go on together. (OK, likely not.. but how awesome would a Fusco & Bear detective noir spin-off be? I rest my case.)

22. TVDog555 says:

At last we get POI back! One of the four shows on the main networks that do not make us groan at their stupidity. Great decision CBS, and we really mean that. Thanks.

23. Alex says:

Could have gone to Vancouver in Canada, Its cheap and they have lots of filming going on there all the time.