Michael Weatherly Leaving NCIS: Watch a First Look at Tony's Teary Send-Off

“Humor, heart and heroics” have been the hallmarks of Michael Weatherly‘s 13-year NCIS run, as detailed in this highlight/preview reel for the original cast member’s final two episodes as “Very Special Agent” Tony DiNozzo.

In Weatherly’s penultimate appearance as Tony — titled “Dead Letter” and airing next Tuesday, May 10 – the NCIS team, alongside the FBI and MI6 (populated by guest stars Sarah Clarke and Duane Henry), continue their international manhunt for rogue spy Jacob Scott, who this week left Agent Fornell fighting for his life in ICU. The Season 13 finale, airing May 17 and titled “Family First,” then marks Weatherly’s farewell episode.

Teasing DiNozzo’s exit storyline, NCIS showrunner Gary Glasberg told TVLine, “We established early on [this season] that there were choices that Tony was going to be making as he’s looking at his career…. He’s going to find himself at a bit of a crossroads, with some significant issues to deal with.” Glasberg also touted a “significant guest cast… to really reflect on what Michael Weatherly has meant to NCIS” — though former cast member Cote de Pablo, who played Ziva David, recently announced that she will not be among the returning faces (though Ziva’s own goodbye scene is featured in the promo).

As the end of the promo makes evident, “There’ll be tissues involved,” Glasberg has forewarned longtime fans. “People should absolutely be planning on some really serious, heart-wrenching moments…. I’m very proud of the emotional resonance of what this is.”

Before filming his NCIS swan song, Weatherly starred in the CBS pilot Bull, which is based on Phil McGraw’s early career as a trial consultant. CBS will announce its fall TV pick-ups on May 18.

Want more scoop on NCIS, or for any other show? Email InsideLine@TVLine.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. darkangel200 says:

This just hurts. My poor heart. So many memories…I hope with all my heart they do Tony and Michael justice. Thank you for posting.

2. ndixit says:

I know I am going to be weeping my eyes out. The very first live ep I saw was Truth or Consequences, which was a tour de force from MW/Tony and that’s when I got hooked to the show. At least there is a chance we will see MW on tv next season on Bull, and with Tony alive, I sure hope they bring him back to occasionally guest star.

• Kim R says:

I’ve watched NCIS from the beginning and Truth or Consequences was my favorite episode. The promo for his farewell looks all inclusive to what and who Very Special Agent Anthony DiNozzo was. Bring on the tissues!

3. Sharon says:

No, No, No!! I am a very selfish Tony fan & I don’t want him to go. Michael Weatherly is an integral part of this NCIS family & it will indeed be a somber end to a sterling role. 😢😢

• Erin says:

The terrible demeaning way they’ve written my favorite (casserole baking, colon cleanses, team’s weak link) makes me glad that Weatherly has decided to leave. He’s a wonderfully charismatic, charming, and talented actor and deserves better. Personally I became enamored of the show because of Weatherly and the fun and interesting interaction between a medley of quirky appealing characters. Now we have never ending focus on super/tragic/hero who does everything Gibbs every week. I’m grateful that he’s leaving. I’m tired of the Gibbs Show.

• dmac says:

Umm it IS the Gibbs show.

• Jen says:

Oh, don’t bother. Erin makes it a daily ritual to show up and piss and moan how “awful” life is for poor Michael Weatherly, to have to put up with all the injustices that the mean old writers, producers and (ESPECIALLY) Mark Harmon place upon his poor fevered brow. Or some kind of malarkey like that. She fails to realize, this has always been a show centered around Gibbs, his cases, his stories and the supporting team that helps him. The only one with “focus” is Erin and her almost pathological obsession which she shows almost daily. Frankly, I’m tired of the Erin Show, but, one can’t fix stupid either…

• crimibird says:

This is a masterful comment and I wondered when someone was gonna say it about Erin. (is this a sign I spend too much time on this site?)

• Katya says:

Tony fans want more Tony. McGee fans want more McGee, Abby fans want more Abby, and Gibbs fans don’t understand why people are bitching.

• crimibird says:

Just want to point out that I’m pretty neutral on NCIS (I prefer NOLA), I don’t really have a great love for any character… and in all honestly the show is more balanced than you think. I see fans of /all/ the characters bitching and don’t get it.

• flootzavut says:

LOL *round of applause*

• mary says:

I agree, but there are people on other sites that say the same thing because Tony is their favorite(or Ziva was, or…). Thing is Gibbs is the “father” figure, so he is the center of the “family”. While it’s an ensemble cast, NCIS would not be where it is without Harmon.

• Chirl says:

Ain’t that the truth.

• as524 says:

It’s only been the Gibbs show since GG took over

4. Leslee says:

Dayum….I teared up during the preview reel. I’m going to be a basket case when the final 2 episdoes air.

5. Angela Olchaskey says:

I realize Ziva is a huge part of Tony backstory, but why tease us with her in the promo if she’s not coming back. That’s heartbreaking.

• Paige says:

Actually, Tony leaving is heart-breaking all by itself. His having the plague was also in the promo – SWAK was a heartbreaking episode incredibly acted by MW.

• He can go to her without her actually being in the ep, just saying.

• Stacy says:

I, too, wonder if the character – while absent – will play into his final decisions. Either by leaving to be with her, or choosing to move on and forward by switching careers.

• Jerri says:

It’s a promo of the fact that Weatherly is leaving the show and highlights of DiNozzo’s past scenes (him saving Gibbs, him saying bye to Ziva, him battling the bubonic plague, etc). And Ziva summed it best, he’s loved. (by a lot of fans)

• flootzavut says:

If she wasn’t mentioned, legions of Tiva-ites would storm the gates to complain. If she is mentioned, legions of Tiva-ites will complain they didn’t do everything possible to get her back. Basically, they can’t win.

This wasn’t a ‘tease’, it was an important moment for the character. Clearly, that promo is in part a ‘best of’. His partner of 8 years declaring how loved he is is entirely appropriate, even if she doesn’t appear in the episode. It’s also completely obvious the footage is from an old episode, nothing new or that hasn’t been seen before, so it’s not like it’s a bait and switch of her being in the promo but not the episode.

The episode is about Tony, and it’s appropriate that Tony-centric moments are used to promo it. Complaining that a character you presumably love is appearing in the promo to tell Tony how loved he is seems… kind of silly.

6. Ana Rubio says:

I’m crying already. I’m gonna miss him so much

7. crimibird says:

I actually like… super dislike DiNozzo and always have… and this made me a little teary.

• tyranthraxus says:

Im not a big fan of McGee. Sadly this show has always sacrificed the side characters and given them an episode once a season, to keep the Focus on Gibbs.

• crimibird says:

I don’t think that’s such a terrible thing as he is the main star. They have been kinda light on some characters this season (what I’ve watched of it). I tend to only watch NCIS because it’s on before NOLA… I prefer the newest in the franchise to the others.

• Lori says:

Funny the last two seasons…the focus has shifted to Bishop.

Everyone else is ignored. Bishop now is super computer geek; chief interrogator after Gibbs; consultant.

Heck Abby, Jimmy, McGee, Dinozzo, Vance and Ducky rarely are on screen and most defer to Bishop.

• Jen says:

Funny, just what version on NCIS are you watching?? Because, McGee is investigating and doing his computer magic, Abby is involved in every forensic detail relating to the case of the week, Jimmy is assisting Ducky, who in turn is doing all autopsies and appears to announce his findings. Vance is being the boss and Dinozzo was only absent in last night’s show. Bit, please continue with your imagined delusions about how the focus is “shifted” to Bishop. Bishop hasn’t done much “interrogating” at all, the three men have taken the lead, or Gibbs and Fornell have done some. Please state where everyone else is being ignored–and none have deferred to Bishop–just in your head I guess. SMDH

• mary says:

She’s not shown any more than McGee & DiNozzo.

• flootzavut says:

I guess that means they’re doing something right!

8. Pat says:

OK, I watched that little video and I am now bawling my eyes out. The up coming next two episodes will probably cause me to become dehydrated. Plenty of boxes of tissues and I might have to ask my doctor to order an IV for me to replenish my loss of fluid through my tears. I have watched Tony from the beginning and now I will be watching him as he ends his stay with NCIS.

9. TaMara says:

Gonna have to stock up on tissues. And unfortunately if last night’s episode is any indication of what a Tony-less NCIS is going to be, it’ll be relegated to my maybe list.

10. KLS says:

Oh, so Jacob Scott shot Fornell. Wasn’t sure about that. Thanks!

11. Kevin K says:

NCIS will never be the same without Michael Weatherly. Better bring some Kleenex.

• KeithH says:

People said it would never be the same without Ziva… and it wasn’t… it got better. I don’t think it will be worse without Weatherly… it will be different. And I’ll keep watching.

12. Paige says:

In a TV interview with Extra, MW says” Dinozzo leaves NCIS the way he came.” Is he returning to the police force or did he mean the elevator? Lol

He will be missed, but I’m looking forward to his new series if it gets picked up.

13. I DO NOT like the fact that Michael is leaving . He was just a huge part, with Mark Harmon. Those 2 plus Abbey are my favorite, although I love all the others. There has already been 2 others that I loved , Kate and Ziva. Michalel will be missed sooo much. It will not be the same, it will take someone big to replace him.
    I do wish him the very best on his next journey.. God bless you , Michael.

14. Bre says:

“I’m really gonna miss you Anthony Dinozzo.” “Not half as much as I’m gonna miss you.” – Seriously I’m sitting here with tears rolling down my cheeks. I stopped watching at the end of season 6 but think I will tune in again to see him off. WE LOVE YOU TONY!

15. leola says:

I will always have repeats on USA thankfully. Michael, you’ll be missed!

16. I am really going to miss him. He was really great on there. I am so sorry to here that Ziva won’t be on there.

17. Pat says:

Michael will be sadly missed. I have not missed a show in 13 years and he has made me laugh in every show. I wish nothing but the best for him and his family.

18. MMD says:

Well that made the tears stream and I know I will be a total blubbering mess by the end of the finale.

All I can say is thank you to Michael Weatherly and his alter ego Tony DiNozzo for the many years of enjoyment and I’m so pleased he he leaving on his terms as well as with his input. You will be greatly missed but I wish you nothing but the best to you and your family.

19. Jennifer says:

I’m not going to make it.

20. Melody says:

What if the team finds out Ziva died suddenly (off screen) and that forces Tony to reevaluate his life.
    Thats when he decides to leave to do something different and we never have to hear about Ziva again. I think that would be a fair trade off.

• flootzavut says:

Interesting idea! I imagine they must at least mention Ziva – love or loathe her or ‘Tiva’, they were a big part of Tony’s life for 8 years.

(I do find it saddening, although not surprising, to see how many of the former ‘Bring Back Cote’ people apparently don’t care any more now there isn’t a chance of Tiva. I always had my suspicions it was more about Tiva than about Cote or Ziva, and while it doesn’t surprise me, given the badgering and harassment and lack of respect for Cote’s life decisions shown by some people, I wanted to believe they cared more about the actor and the character than the ship. In this case, I do not like being proven right :-/)

I will miss this actor and this character so much. DiNozzo was never among my absolute favourite characters, but I love him all the same, and no one can honestly deny how much Michael brought to the show and the character. I LOVE that he gets a hug (and a really sincere looking one) from Gibbs, that’s so sweet, and I adore that Tim’s most important thought to pass along is that Tony is one of his best friends <3 And last but not least, I love that (it seems) they aren't killing him off, because I would've hated that.

Now I'm just crossing my fingers they don't let Fornell die…

• dan says:

Killing Ziva would be a bad move, all it would do is upset people and make them angry, besides DiNozzo has closed the book on Ziva, his exit will be much better suited if it’s just about him, his growth as a person and not about another tragedy. I’d like to see him look at his life and decide he wants to change and be happy and that be why he moves on. And hopefully comes back once and awhile. It’s not like these characters would become strangers after all they’ve been through. I think Tony will finally just realize he doesn’t want to be Gibbs. Perhaps he can recur like Fornell.

21. PHIL says:

I hope that this is not the beginning of the end of NCIS.I think Tony adds to this program humor and some comedy also.

22. Lore says:

Watching this makes me cry, i cant imagine the episodes

23. John NYC says:

From Yankee White on I’ve been fond of the character (answering his cell phone in the body bag? Hilarious) He’ll be greatly missed.

He’s worn well over the years and I’m looking forward to whomever Michael chooses to portray next.

24. Danielle says:

This had me in tears. I will miss Tony and Michael Weatherly’s presence on the show so much. I’ll be following his next projects. Ugh tears :'(((

25. Michael_Weatherly_Much_Loved_and_Respected says:

Michael Weather’s character, Anthony, has been a much-loved member of the team and his fans. After so many seasons doing one show, I certainly understand why Michael wants to spread his wings and try something new….. to challenge him with a new character. I wouldn’t have watched a series about Dr.Phil, but since it stars Michael and is about Dr. Phil’s jury pickin’ expert instead of his tv therapist days, I’ll be giving it a shot. Thanks for being our Anthony. I’ll be crying with the best of them.

26. Diane says:

I’m sorry to see Tony (Michael) go but I never saw him with Ziva as a relationship. If he went somewhere with Jeanne, perhaps. His acting chops portrayed that he loved her.

27. Mr. Smith says:

Love the show. Going to miss him. I’m glad Michael Weatherly is branching out, but he will be missed.

28. Joanne says:

I have to be honest, I’m crying already. I don’t think I’m going to make it through the shows!

29. Jeri says:

I will miss Tony but wish Michael the best with his new show. Hope it is as popular as NCIS and Michael will have a long run. Congratulations, Michael

30. Dianne says:

No one will EVER take his place. Going to be very sad. So sorry your leaving. Good luck for future ventures xx

31. Mary Kelly says:

Michael, aka Tony…sure will miss you..the show will go on but there will ALWAYS be a space that will NEVER be filled, no matter who they try to put in..God Bless you and happiness in your new adventures..

32. Caron says:

Why is he leaving NCOs will not be the same if Gibbs leaves should end show

• I heard he left because of Cote. He wants to try to act on his own, and also he has his own production company, and just filmed a new pilot called “Bull” I will miss him. I am glad Mark Harmon decided to stay on for two more years. They are suppose to be getting some new people at the end of the season.

33. m.r.tolchinski says:

tony will be sadly….greatly….sorrowfully missed and remembered.he is not,and wi
    ll be never replaceable

34. maria tsioplakis says:

GOOD BYE TONY WE LOVE YOU WE WILL MISS YOU.

35. I will miss Michael “Tony” Weatherly in NCIS, I just hope that no matter what the story line is = PLEASE don’t kill off Tony, have him take on his own team, go with Ziva, have to go take care of his Dad being ill, but DON’T kill him off.

• John NYC says:

Right from his taking selfies (before that was a term) behind the president’s desk, on the aircraft formerly known as Air Force One as Kate pointed out, Tony was one of the show’s sources of lightness so I’m confident they’ll honor that long standing characterization in how they’ve crafted his exit.

• John NYC says:

In the second episode Kate asks Tony how he got into NCIS while they investigated a parachute death ( I just rewatched the first two, brought back Midding Kate’s character): he responded “I smiled” so here’s hoping that’s how he leaves as well.

• Paige says:

I’ll watch it again. Thanks!

• John NYC says:

“Missing” Kate’s character. Phone typos are so annoying.

The other thing in that second episode was Gibbs going out of his way for the Marine victim’s son: so closing the circle of this past episode of highlighting service members family and their sacrifices.

36. John NYC says:

The second episode of the show Sasha asks Tony how he got into NCIS and his response: “I smiled” here’s hoping he leaves the same way.

Thanks Netflix!

37. Rose Murphy says:

I love Michael Weatherly! I will definitely miss Very Special Agent Anthony DiNozzo! I guess I will have to watch his new show “Bull” coming out soon!

38. Sue Ledford says:

NCIS cast has been the best blend of characters .They genuinely appear to be dedicated to the task at hand,love their job, love each other. Kate was a loss but Ziva so easily took that place that still has not been filled.Love all the characters but to loose Tony with his serious but funny ways “MAY BE TOO MUCH FOR THIS NCIS DIEHARD”.ZIDO wish him the very best of health and happiness

39. Grace says:

This made me cry so hard!!!! NCIS is NOT going to be the same! No more movie references, no more of the “Wild Card”. I’ve grew up with NCIS, and now my 2 favorite characters, Ziva and Tony, are not on it!! I really hope he goes to Israel to be with Ziva. Donald P. Belissario said that “There is no part of Tony that Ziva isn’t a part of.” He also said that Ziva was going to affect Tony’s decision to leave. So, that gives me hope! All I want to say, is thank you Michael Weatherly, for 13 seasons of laughs from one VERY Special Agent Anthony DiNozzo. We will miss you terribly!

40. jim says:

He will be missed!Really enjoy this show.I was heart broken when Cote left.Now this?What will this couch potato what to look forward to.?

41. Pamela Boynton says:

Sorry to hear this, first Ziva, who was replaced by a teenage looking dumb blonde character, and now Tony is leaving…this may be my last season to watch..sorry, there will never be another team like Tony, McGee, Ziva, Abby and Ducky. Poor Gibbs, now he will be running a kindergarten of newbies, not a sophisticated team…

42. Laura Sims says:

I love your “character”, I can’t wait to see your come back! ;)

43. Pam Weikum says:

Please try to keep Michael/tony. His humor and acting is great

44. Lt.LV says:

Thanks MW. Hoping to see you as the next James Bond

45. The Real DiNozzo says:

Really can’t understand Weatherlys’ decision.. He was a founding father of NCIS all the way from JAG. I feel without Tony, the show would not have been as successful. There are 10s if not more active ‘procedural crime dramas’ aired weekly. What makes NCIS the top rated show is what happens when the team is not investigating a case; silly banter between characters, romantic teasing between ‘Tiva,’ Boss smacking Tony for something silly, Abby’s overall quirky traits and dress rolled into a fun loving forensic scientist 120% dedicated to her job.
    Now, I’ve put up with the decisions over the years such as the death of Kate & Jen Shepard.. The departure of Ziva ( in my opinion the character Ziva is the best ‘federal agent’ on TV, Côte De Pablo was a genius in this series) but now we have to deal with Tony leaving because his actor thinks it’s ‘time to move on?’ Hello? It’s the number one watched show on television? That’s like spending 10 years in medical school just to become a mail man.. Weatherly dedicated just as much (if not more) time and effort as Mark Harmon (Gibbs) creating the #1 watched show; why would he walk away now..
    I really hope the writers have something AMAZING planned for season 14 because I truly think this may be the end for NCIS.. With so many main character changes, I don’t see myself watching this show regularly anymore.. Sure many people will continue watching, especially new viewers, however I have watched since JAG, and I think Weatherlys departure will mark my departure as well. Funny because my real name is Tony (Anthony) haha. Thanks NCIS for your years of entertainment.

• I will miss him too. He might have a new series coming up in the fall. He wants to come back later on if there is a special episode. Cote De Pablo left because they were going to change her character. She was great in that part. She will be missed.

46. Carol Robinson says:

Tony is great, he will be missed as well as his humour. The show will carry on because it has a strong cast. Ziva was missed also. Changes have to be made, but it is hard to get used to new people. I still watch all the old NCIS shows. I never tire of them.

47. K. Wright says:

What is the beautiful song playing in the background? Does anyone know?

48. Isabella says: