Post Mortems
Game of Thrones Jon Snow Alive

Game of Thrones' Kit Harington to Fans: 'Sorry for Lying to Everyone!'

The following story contains spoilers from Sunday’s Game of Thrones. Proceed at your own peril

Kit Harington has a message to Game of Thrones fans hellbent on blaming the victim.

“Sorry!” the actor tells EW.com in response to Sunday’s episode, which concluded with Jon Snow’s resurrection. “I’d like to say sorry for lying to everyone.

“I’m glad that people were upset that he died,” he adds. “I think my biggest fear was that people were not going to care. Or it would just be, ‘Fine, Jon Snow’s dead.’ But it seems like people had a, similar to the Red Wedding episode, kind of grief about it. Which means something I’m doing — or the show is doing — is right.”

In the 10 months following Jon Snow’s Season 5 demise, Harington on multiple occasions denied rampant speculation that his character would somehow be resurrected. As recently as this past March, he told Time Out London that the only new scenes he’s filmed for the series were “scenes of me being dead” and joked “It’s some of my best work.”

Harington’s co-stars contributed to the subterfuge. Last September, Maisie Williams’ told TVLine point-blank, “He’s dead. Sorry.” (You can watch that infamous interview below.)

So what do you think? Do you forgive Harington? And Williams? And everyone else who was complicit in this epic lie? Share your thoughts in the comments!

1. DL says:

Oh, Kit Harington, it’s okay. No one believed you anyway. :-D

2. Zach says:

I’m not one to complain about spoiler’s, but damn TVLine. Good thing I saw the episode live. Poor people on the west coast who saw this pop up in their Twitter feed.

• DV says:

Anyone who hasn’t learned to just stay off social
      Media around the time a very hotly anticipated show is airing has no reason to whine about being spoiled. At this point, people doing it are just looking to complain about something.

• benm says:

Yeah, but this isn’t social media. It’s a “news” site. Pretty big difference. What if someone DVRed this and watching Quantico or something. They came here to see fan reactions to whatever happened on there, but then saw this.

• nericmitch says:

To be fair if they chose to watch Quantico first then they deserve to be spoiled :)

• well what about people from other countries with a time delay, or people who were working etc?

• BenM says:

Admittedly GoT is leagues better than Q. I gave up on it after a few episodes. I just picked the other show on the top of the front page at the time. Maybe they watched Penny Dreadful, or the NBA finals . maybe they’re waiting to watch it w/ spouses or friends. I just meant there are people who could’ve come here w/o seeing thrones.

• David Merchant says:

I haven’t had a chance to watch yet because reasons and Google now threw this in my line up of morning articles to read. FML.

• Yeah but DV was responding to Zach’s comment which was about twitter. Twitter is a form of social media.

• Elias Moya says:

Get off the internet and you wont have it spoiled for you. Simple

• Gospino says:

If it has aired in the country of origin, it’s not a spoiler. Anyone who comes to this site and then complains about being spoiled for an episode that has already aired is very naive and/or foolish. This IS a news site. That means that the news is reported and promoted very soon after an episode airs. Easy solutionif you don’t want to see news headlines: stay off he site until you can be bothered to watch the show. Or just don’t complain. :)

• Atatab says:

Im from another country and google now just showed this headline… this kind of headline should be avoided, IT IS a spoiler… Now i just blocked this site from my google now…

• KCC says:

This IS a TV news site. What about all those fans that watched GoT and came here to see fan reactions to it and TVLine did NOT have a article about it? How long do you expect them to wait before reporting what happened on GoT and related news regarding the current episode? An hour, 2 hours, 10 hours, a day, 2 days, etc. They might as well never report it because it might spoil someone that buys the blu-ray boxed set and doesn’t get around to watching it until 2059. You cannot blame TVLine for doing their jobs and reporting what happened on TV. It’s what they do. If they wait 24 hours for the rest of the world to view it, the people that were excited and wanted to read/comment about it will be less like to do that 24 hours after it aired. It’s literally “yesterday’s news” to them.

• jazzyt2u says:

You can have the article but the photo and headline don’t have to give it away…

• Yeah, but it’s a “news” site about TV, which kind of makes it expected they would talk about the HOTTEST reveal in all of TV, right? The reality is if they didn’t want to be spoiled today then they basically needed to call home sick and stay in a closet all day lol. The first thing I got from 4 different people was “DID YOU SEE LAST NIGHT THAT JON SNOW IS ALIVE?!” God damn people, lol.

• grnarchr says:

I do not complain and I live on the west coast. I also dvr it for my husband. If it were up to me, I would have seen the show already. I read spoilers all the time and it just makes me want to watch it more and see how a character dies or resurrects. I know about the highlights of my favorite shows enough to get me antsy about an upcoming episode. As long as I do not know how it happens, though I do suspect, I am fine with spoilers.

• Walkie says:

Anyone who hops onto social media or the internet and thinks that they are going to be able to avoid spoilers are NAIVE. It’s silly.

3. DarkDefender says:

It was. Expected… But still cool. Welcome back Jon Snow!

4. datdudemurphy says:

I like how the spoiler warning comes after the spoiler….keeps people guessing.

5. ninergrl6 says:

It’s okay Kit. As long as Jon is alive, all is forgiven.

6. mooshki says:

Seriously, TVLine, you’ve got to stop with the spoilers in the headlines! WTF? Not that we didn’t already know this one, but it’s still very bad etiquette.

• DarkDefender says:

Cut some slack this time… No one (seriously, no one) thought Jon Snow wasn’t coming back. Not Hodor (er… Willis), not Ghost, not the Night’s Watch, the Red Witch( ok, maybe her – girl needs to get her confidence groove back), not any of the viewers or book readers… You don’t want spoilers..stay off the interwebs until you’ve seen your show.
      Besides, if you don’t watch GoT the moment it airs.. That’s on you.
      This is must see TV, yo!

• jazzyt2u says:

They still don’t have to give it away in the headline or photo…

• nsync08 says:

IKR? Hell, I don’t even have HBO or watch GoT regularly and even I knew he wasn’t dead. Besides, technically, they didn’t lie. He was dead; he just didn’t stay that way.

7. Derek says:

This is the best interview you could get? Not the writers? Not more than a paragraph?

People have been dying for this and we get a “sorry?”

People trip and we get 3 pagers of post-interviews. And, EW beat you by 30 minutes with the exact same quote. Good job

• eileen says:

The whole interview is from EW. If you read the story, it says the quote came from EW, so yeah, EW beat them. EW has been working on an interview “for months” and will feature it as a cover story in the next issue. They will be releasing the cover art and more on the interview tomorrow morning. No need to be so snarky. I imagine it is pretty tough to get interviews on the subject since they have been trying to keep it under wraps for so long. EW is the only outlet I have heard of being able to get interviews discussing it, and it has been months in the works. So, chill.

• esteban says:

if you read EW’s (over the top imo) coverage you can see they sold covers for a big trip to wherever the show films so yeah they have Kit talking first lol

8. Wezza says:

Thank you i can start to enjoy it better now ;-) Now off to winterfell ;-)

9. Jimmy says:

As if anyone believed it.

10. At last! says:

Technically, he’s right. Jon is still dead only thing is that he’s back. So it’s cool.

11. Mollymoo says:

He didn’t lie. He was dead. He just left out the part where he’d be back.

12. Pam says:

Thank you for that I love Jon snow my favorite.. Long live Game of Thrones..

13. cinthy says:

I forgive you!

14. Alrisha says:

At this point people should know better that go to internet before watch the episode. It’s easy, just stay away from your pc, tablet or cell for a couple of hours. Also, at this point media should had learn how to made an impact without spoilers in the headline. Media are not going to learn so, stay away from internet.

15. Kevin K says:

We forgive you Kit Harington. Hope Jon Snow survives for the rest of the season.

16. Kat says:

I know that there were, like, 5 people who believed him (and they were usually jerks about it, I hope they choke on the crow they’re eating), but the vast majority of the speculation I saw called exactly what would happen. Yeah, OK, sure, he didn’t technically lie because Jon really did die, temporarily, but again, the vast majority of the online viewing audience called it exactly. I’d really like showrunners (and I blame them because you know Kit was just doing what he was told) to stop treating their fans like we’re idiots. There’s a happy medium between giving away spoilers and blatantly lying to your audience. A simple “Kit will have a few scenes to film next season but we can’t say more than that” or even just a “no comment” would suffice. Yes most people would probably assume that meant he was coming back. They were always going to do that. You don’t have to condescend to your viewers to try to prevent the inevitable.

• Chris Coburn says:

So. “Eating crow” has TWO meanings now? Since it stands for how you meant it, but also, the Night’s Watch are called “Crows”, so it ties in that way as well.

Haven’t seen the episode yet since I worked until after 9 PM Eastern, but I have read the recap already. {See? I LIKE getting spoilers before I watch.} And I think my version of his return would have been interesting.

So, using the R + L = J theory, plus the fact that the Night’s Watch burn their dead to prevent them from rising as White Walkers, I thought they should burn Jon’s body. And have it NOT burn. Everyone would have been like, “Um, why is he not burning?” And then, he would stand up and walk out of the fire as a living, breathing Targaryen. So, Jon SNOW would be dead, but Jon Targaryen, not so much.

Of course, I was basing this off Dany’s quote when her brother was killed, and remembering it incorrectly. I was thinking she said “Fire can not burn a Dragon” when she actually said “Fire cannot KILL a Dragon.” So, that would all be moot anyway. Never mind. I’ll go hide in my corner now.

• KCC says:

I never feel like I’m being treated like a idiot if the showrunners lie to me, but I would be an idiot if I believed everything they say. It’s marketing and that’s the way the game is played. One of the jobs of actors and showrunners is to promote the show. Saying “no comment” to the press will not get you any space in a newspaper, magazine or web site. They have to say something of interest or provocative.
      Why do fans even dig for any news or hints of what’s happening next on a show and then complain when they encounter a spoiler? To me that is idiotic.

17. AddiM says:

Aww Kit…it’s ok, it was his job to lie…it doesn’t matter that he gave fans across the globe serious anxiety for a year wondering what his fate was. To be honest I’m so relived that he was resurrected.. this is GOT after all, anything can happen. I was hopeful that Jon was going to be resurrected because I had to be or else I’d fall apart much like I did at the Red Wedding…

18. BrianR says:

Well to be fair he was dead and now maybe not. We all saw the set up with the Red Witch so no foul. Although I would have liked a rebirth through fire better.

19. Brandon says:

The following STORY contains spoilers? How’s about the following HEADLINE? Yeesh. Glad I watched before reading this headline.

• J. A. says:

But I didn’t watch before the headline spoiled it for me. Screw you, tvline. >:(

• jazzyt2u says:

Though I too watched already I agree people might have had the intention to scroll pass any mention of GoT so they don’t read spoils but kind of hard when it’s in the headline.

20. Kit…I’m ok. I never believed you anyways. Haha

21. benm says:

I already watched it so i don’t care. I know a lot of people DVR though. A better title would be something like “Kit Harrington on Game of Thrones Spoilers and Secrets” or something like that.

22. josh says:

What the hell, Michael? usually you’re so good at keeping homepage articles relatively spoiler free, but the title of this article on the homepage literally spoils it!

it was so lucky i watched it live, but i feel sorry for the poor souls casually checking this site before watching it. yes, the golden rule is “if you want to stay spoiler-free, you gotta watch live”, but seriously, it JUST AIRED!!!

23. M says:

This really bothers me. I wasn’t able to watch the episode live, and lo and behold, a tweet from @MichaelAusiello with a very clearly spoilery title, followed immediately by the same tweet repeated by @TVLine. That’s just wrong. I know you have a job to report stuff like this, but other than it not even being your breaking news, the episode wasn’t even finished airing for an hour, and you spoiled it. Thanks a lot. I’m happy Jon Snow is back, but I’d have liked to be able to watch the episode without knowing what to expect at the very end. Very sad to say I lost a ton of respect for this site, though I suppose my opinion will be as unimportant as everyone else’s who are complaining about the same thing.

• D.I.E.RamseyBoltonD.i.E. says:

Sorry Michael, but if it matters, I’d say putting the spoiler in the headline is really a thoughtless thing to do, though as some have said, you’re normally on the ball about such things, so I guess we’ll give you one pass. Cause you are pretty damn awesome 99% of the time.

The end of the episode was so well done. Psych us out thinking Melisandre couldn’t do the deed because she stopped believing in her god. But I know even though in my gut I knew he’d come back, as everyone else did, they still did a great job of keeping us on the edge of our seat. I’m sure the second that Ghost got up, we knew something was going on. And Halleluiah! His eyes popped open and he took a huge breath! yay! Now we’ll say whether he returns the same man who died, or if this changed him … I’m absolutely as positive that I can be that the reason he came back at all was, like so many speculated, he warged into Ghost. In the books, it’s said that when a warg dies in side an animal, a part of that person lives on in the animal, so thank you very much Ghost.

Welcome back Brann! Can’t wait for more of his visions, especially the one from the trailer, where the White Walker king seems to not only be standing beside Brann, but touching him as well. i think. ha!

Tommen is such a sweetheart. I’m sure Cersei will make sure he develops a pair; but I’m hoping he learns how to rule from Jamie. It’d suck to see him become one of the bad kings. Nah. He’s too full of goodness for that> I just gotta freaking believe there are a few more good people in this story.

Can’t wait to see the Sparrow’s death. Hope it’s slow and painful. I’m no fan of religious zealots so the sooner he gets taken out the better.

Of course, there’s one whom I can’t wait to see die even slower and much more painfully (with his member cut off) is Ramsey. Bastard killing his stepmom and newborn baby by having the dogs eat them alive. His death is as welcome to me as Joffrey’s was…. or darn near.

Next Sunday is too far away.

24. John says:

You know what rocks, going to check my yahoo email only to see this f*****g article on the main page right before I was going to sit down and watch it. Best part was I was saved the trouble of reading the article because the incompetent author put his spoilers in the title. It’s not like I didn’t know he was going to eventually come back, but I had no idea it was in this episode. So thank you Michael Ausiello, I hope you’re favorite things are forever spoiled for you.

25. Matt says:

Seriously….HOW CAN YOU write title like this? No matter what you write kn first sentence- title is insult to those who did not watch. I decided to stop following this website!

26. Scott21 says:

WTF with the spoiler TVLine???? Couldn’t at least for a day??? now the whole last 5 minutes was ruined thanks to you

27. Fran says:

He is risen and that’s all that matters. Now Jon, start kicking some ass

28. pistolblue07 says:

Don’t worry. you didn’t fool anyone. We all know you know nothing.

29. Jaquie M says:

I’m torn. I think this has opened a new epidemic (if that is the right word) for show-runners and actors to implicitly and open-faced(ly) lie to their viewers, which in my mind kind of puts tension on, if not breaks that line of loyalty some viewers hold for the stars and shows in question. Yes, GoT is a great show, but I don’t think it is entirely because of the deaths and surprises (face it, A LOT of us read the books and knew who, for the most part, died, and how they died). I think it is because they film it very well and we became invested in these characters … so to know they are lying to us for the sake of ratings, kind of hits a nerve, because no one would really stop watching if we know. In any case, that said … Love GoT, Love Kit, and hopefully GoT continues the ONE main reason most of us watch it for: good storytelling without the need for so much subterfuge.

30. Diego says:

I never believed you and still love you dear.

31. RunzWithGunz says:

I do not visit this website, but it had piped up on my Google feed due to my interest in GoT. I am very upset that I was spoiled of this reveal in the article’s frickin headline! This was very bad judgement made on this website because not everyone can watch the show the night it airs, nor should a spoiler be written in the headline. Just plain sloppy!

32. David Merchant says:

Your headline for this is a spoiler, I hate you.

33. Kelly says:

Way to reveal the spoiler IN THE FREAKING HEADLINE! Come on, people. Give us at least a day.

34. Jim says:

That’s show business the majority of people knew Jon would be back just not which episode.so now on with the show and it looks like an exciting season ahead.

35. The Kaibosh says:

For those complaining about being spoiled: Either move to the East coast or don’t go to a web site known to provide spoilers. Very simple really. No one but yourselves to blame.

• pinky says:

That’s not true – people might come here to read other things but skip GoT-related articles until they’ve seen the episode. The first sentence of this articles even says it’s spoiler-y…which is completely meaningless if the headline already gave it away

36. Josh says:

Spoiler in the good damn headline! Not cool! Seriously. Irresponsible hacks.

37. Joe A says:

Keep the spoilers out of the headline, you thoughtless buffoons!

TVline is now blocked in my Google Now feed.

38. Siva says:

It’s not as if anyone believed them. And they lied because they can’t actually give off such things even if it is that obvious.

39. NDFan says:

I was spoiled by a pretty big twist on a show once and that was it for me. I avoid the search engines and any social media until I’m able to watch it. It’s really not that hard to do! Maybe it shouldn’t be in the title…but that’s the age we live in now. Once a show has aired, it’s fair game to talk about it. It’s not like this is sonething new that has just started happening. It kind of blows my mind that this is still as issue for so many people.

40. seankene says:

Thanks for putting it in your headline, jerks.

41. Atatab says:

You sons of a bitch, these f**cking spoilers for the ones who couldnt watch the last episode yet, go to hell….

42. He is way to sexy to not be forgiven :) I knew he would return!

43. George H. says:

The spoiler notice made me laugh when the title pretty much gave away a very big spoiler itself, lol.

44. John Doe says:

Quit putting spoilers in the title of your articles – or at least wait 24 to 48 hours so people have a chance to see it if they recorded it.

45. ihatefanboys says:

Technically he didn’t lie, Jon Snow was dead.

46. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

NOW IS THE TIME for Jon and Sansa to be REUNITED!!Since she’s headed for Castle Black w. Breanne and Pod. I hope this plays out plus, will Jon Snow and Ramsay Bolton ever face off in winterfell?……Ooooh I can’t wait to how this season unfolds!

47. liame says:

I wasn’t 110% sure he was dead but 100% sure he wasn’t ;). If only it would Snow in blank blank, NY.

48. Christine Killick says:

Just very glad they have brought him back!

49. Carla says:

My thought was if the White Walkers chief members looked at John Snow as some kind of threat when they were Leaving or getting away on that boat. There was going to be another fight, he can’t die.

50. DonB says:

I read the books, so I knew it was coming.it’s a non-issue for me..no worries Kit :)

• ihatefanboys says:

Only problem with that was that John was left for dead at the end of Book 5. No resolution bookwise yet,We still waiting on the 6th book. But I knew he couldn’t be dead.