Game of Thrones Recap Season 6 Episode 2

Game of Thrones Recap: Good Things Come to Those Who Wait

Can’t quite recall what happened in the previous episode? Read our recap here.

Please just click “READ MORE,” because we’ve got a lot to talk about, and I don’t want to spoil passers-by.

GUYS. Jon Snow is alive. This is not a drill. This is not grainy paparazzi photos of Kit Harington. This is not the length of his hair. This is not the cast cagily saying “Jon Snow is dead,” because he WAS but he’s NOT and let’s just get to the recap of “Home,” OK?

HOUSE STARK: WHATCHOO TALKIN’ ‘BOUT, HODOR? EDITION | The Three-Eyed Raven and Bran are both warged out — or looking like it, at least — but when we flip to a new scene we realize they’re standing in the background of a Winterfell-set scene, where Ned and Benjen Stark as boys are sparring. Lyanna rides in like the mythical creature she’ll eventually become, and we get a glimpse of a non-addled Hodor as a boy (whose real name is Willis!) before the Raven announces, “It’s time to go.”

Bran comes to and wonders why the older man dragged him from the memory. The Raven implies that it’s not good to spend too much time in the past that way. Hodor is there, too; he carries Bran outside to see Meera, who’s ventured outside the cave. “The Three-Eyed Raven says there’s a war coming,” he warns her. “And we’re going to fight it in there?” she says dispassionately. After he leaves, one of the Raven’s creepy tree kids tells Meera that Bran will need her greatly in time to come.

HOUSE LANNISTER | Some drunken idiot in King’s Landing tells a ribald story about how Cersei enthusiastically responded to his lascivious overtures during her walk of shame. Later, when that man steps into the alley to pee, The Mountain simply and disgustingly pulverizes his skull.

The Mountain returns to Cersei’s side just in time to see Tommen’s army deny her passage to Myrcella’s funeral. Over at the sept, Jaime wonders why the king has been so distant with his mother. “Everything she endured, she did it for you,” he reminds the boy, who angrily says he can’t go see her… but it’s because he’s feeling crushing guilt over Cersei’s walk of atonement and Margaery’s imprisonment. “Go and see your mother, Tommen,” Jaime advises his son/nephew just after the High Sparrow arrives.

That gives the two men a little alone time to talk (Side note: During the chat, we learn those corpse-eye stones are supposed “to remind us not to fear death.” Neat!) Jaime threatens the holy man with violence and is surprised when he’s not intimidated — perhaps it’s because a ton of his armed followers have suddenly filed into the chamber? The High Sparrow leaves, and Jaime seems very unsettled by his decree that a large number of poor, powerless people working together “can overthrow an empire.”

Tommen does as the Kingslayer asks and visits Cersei, to whom he apologizes. She forgives him, but he doesn’t take the absolution. “You raised me to be strong. I wasn’t, but I want to be. Help me,” he pleads. “Always,” she whispers, hugging him to her.

Game of Thrones Jon Snow AliveHOUSE LANNISTER: QUIT DRAGON YOUR HEELS EDITION | “If I lost my cock, I’d drink all the time.” That’s how Tyrion opens the meeting of Daenerys’ small council. Members in attendance: Varys, Grey Worm, Missandei and Lannister himself. First order of business: The masters of Astapor and Yunkai have retaken the cities, meaning Mereen is the only city Daenerys freed. Second order of business: Tyrion’s brief history of dragons (they love to be wild, they eventually wither and die off in captivity) before taking a torch and Varys to visit Daenerys’ babies, who are still chained up in the crypt, refusing to eat.

Though they initially growl fire his way, Tyrion sweet talks the scaly beasts into recognizing him as a friend, so they don’t flambé him as he pets their necks and removes their chains. Is it weird that after he frees them, I think for a moment the dragons are going to hug? Probably. Anyway, the dragons crawl back into the darkness and Tyrion and Varys skedaddle before one or both of them becomes a shish kabob.

THE MEN OF THE WALL | The time has run out for Ser Davos and the men protecting Jon Snow’s body. Alliser knocks on the door, still promising peace, but the way his men have their weapons drawn sends a completely different message. So does his decision to hack the door down with an ax. Just as he breaks through, a loud sound from just outside the gates stops everyone cold: It’s a giant, and he busts into Castle Black with the Wildlings and Dolorous Edd, effectively ending the hostilities (but no one tells Olly, who tries to Ygritte Torumund out of existence. Nice try, little jerk. Stay in your lane.)

Davos later goes to see a melancholy Melisandre, who’s staring into the fireplace in her room. He wants to talk about Jon Snow, the “former Lord Commander,” as she notes. “Does he have to be?” the knight asks. She tiredly replies that “some” have the power to return the dead to life, but she’s not the man for the job. He lists her applicable skills (drinking poison and living, giving birth to a demonic smoke demon of demony badness), then bucks her up: “I’m not asking the Lord of Light for help. I’m asking the woman who showed me miracles exist.” She looks like she’s about to cry as she says she never had the gift of reanimation. Well, he wonders, “Have you ever tried?”

Game of Thrones Jon Snow AliveSo the Red Priestess washes him, clips some of his hair, does some chanting, stroking and burning, then lays her hands on his chest and chants some more. When it doesn’t work, she whispers, “Please…” but nothing happens and everyone leaves except for Davos and Ghost. Finally, even Davos exits the room… then Ghost gets up. And Jon takes a breath. And another. Yep, he’s alive!

HOUSE STARK: THE STREETS AIN’T FOR NO ONE EDITION | The Waif comes around and delivers Arya’s daily beating, which goes a little better than the last one we saw. Then Jaqen shows up and tempts Arya with the promise of shelter, food and her returned eyesight if she’ll just say she’s Arya Stark. “A girl has no name,” she replies each time, which is the right answer, and he leads her away.

HOUSE BOLTON: FAREWELL FATHER EDITION | With Sansa still gone, Ramsay suggests that the Bolton army storm The Wall, where she’s surely headed. Roose is not on board with that plan at all — mainly because it’s a terrible one — but the men are interrupted by the news that Walda has just given birth to a baby boy. Which means that Roose now has a legitimate heir. Which means that Ramsay is of no real use to him anymore. So after a congratulatory hug from the bastard and a few words of consolation from his dad (“You’ll always be my firstborn”), Ramsay stabs his dad in the gut a couple times and kills him. Send word throughout the north, Ramsay then tells the shocked maester, who’s seen the whole thing: Roose is dead, poisoned by his enemies.

As if that weren’t enough horror from the Bolton clan for one episode, Ramsay then leads an unsuspecting (and oblivious to the death) Walda into the kennels and unlocks some of the violent dogs’ cages. “Where is Lord Bolton?” she asks, hysteria growing. “I am Lord Bolton,” he replies calmly. “Please, Ramsay, he is your brother!” she pleads. “I prefer being an only child,” he says, whistling (oh god no) for the dogs (oh god he’s going to do it) who fall upon the woman and her newborn as we hear their screams.

HOUSE STARK: THEON, OUT! EDITION | Brienne fills Sansa in on seeing Arya with The Hound. “I should have gone with you when I had the chance,” Lady Stark tells her new protector, who consoles her by saying, “It was a difficult choice, milady. We’ve all had to make difficult choices.”

Speaking of which, Theon has made his own tough decision: He’s not coming with them to The Wall. “I would have died to get you there,” he says, crying after saying that he doesn’t want to be forgiven for the awful acts he committed against the Starks. She hugs him, and he asks for a horse: He’s going home.

HOUSE GREYJOY: WHAT IS DEAD MAY… NEVERMIND EDITION | Yara briefs her father on the Ironborn loss at Deepwood Motte. “We can defeat anyone at sea,” but their holdings on land are much more tenuous, she explains. He doesn’t want to hear it, and storms out, running into his brother who’s been presumed dead and/or crazy for some time. “I am the first storm, and the last, and you’re in my way,” Yara’s uncle tells Balon, then pitches him over the side of a swaying rope bridge in the middle of a storm.

At Balon’s funeral, Yara swears to find the murderer and feed him alive to the sharks. She assumes she’ll take over as ruler of the Ironborn, but an elder informs her that she’ll have to fight for it like everyone else.

What did you think of this week’s insane episode? Did you truly think Jon was gone for good? Let us hear about it in the comments!

1. Derek says:

Oh my god yes. Whether I saw it coming or not. That felt amazing

2. Kevin K says:

What a sigh of relief. Who knew Jon Snow is back from the dead and I was jumping out of my chair when I watched it. Another great moment was the long awaited return of Bran who hasn’t been seen after the end of Season Four.

3. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

OMFG ……..Jon is alive so happy right now can’t help it…the Red Lady did it thank u Melisandre hahaha!!!!!

4. MissMel says:

I’ve been on Team Jon Snow Lives all along, so I wasn’t surprised at all, but that doesn’t mean I wasn’t super excited for the moment to arrive. I was literally applauding in my living room when he opened his eyes. That and the moment when the wildlings arrived made Castle Black my favorite storyline of the week. Although I also loved Tyrion setting the dragons free.

5. AddiM says:

OK…. JON SNOW IS LIVES!!
    Thank goodness for the wildings. Alistar & Ollie need to be beheaded.
    What was the link though between Jon’s resurrection and Ghost’s eyes turning red? I think Jon has just wogged into Ghost and vice-versa.
    Goodness me Ramsay is a savage, but I saw that coming a mile away ever since his father officially made him a Bolton. I don’t feel sorry for Lord Bolton at all, traitorous bastard, he deserved what he got.
    I can see the show going with the ‘Tyrion is a Targaryen’ route…that dragon scene was awesome.

6. Bryan says:

Well all knew it but watching it on TV is just so exciting.

7. Amy says:

This show never gets dull that’s for sure! I love it!

8. ninergrl6 says:

I felt like I was holding my breath as long as Kit Harrington. I think Jon’s gasp of breath echoed what all of us viewers were experiencing. Praise the old gods and the new! In other developments, I was shocked that Ramsay killed his dad but I know I shouldn’t have been. Dude is cray cray to the max. I wish Theon stayed with Sansa, more opportunity for redemption that way. I hate Arya’s storyline. I didn’t miss Dany at all. Loved Tyrion’s interaction with the dragons (“it could be little like me” aww). Never cared for Bran’s storyline but that glimpse of young Ned/Hodor/etc. was great. I wanted to stay in that moment too. Can’t wait til next week! What will Jon be like now?!

9. 777 says:

I saw it coming. I no longer hate the witch.

10. JP says:

“What is dead may never die”:.. Jon Snow is “fire and ice”… The dragons being released, Tommen basically telling his mom, “make it right”… Phenomenal episode.. I take back what I said last week… Should never doubt the game of thrones writers

11. Mary says:

I had a little thought while the Red Woman was trying to revive Jon. One of the Gods is the Crone. Do you suppose she is that god?

This episode was the most thrilling one so far. My heart is still racing.

• T.M. says:

i had never thought of that. I kinda like that theory a lot :D

• Wow Mary I never gave it any thought that Milesandre is the Crone. I think you have some there. Congratulation for seeing it.

• Lylah says:

The Crone is one of the Seven and Melisandre is a follower of the Lord of Light; two completely different religions. Why would one of the Seven Gods pretend to be a priestess practicing what basically amounts to witchcraft? The only reason would be to assume that the Seven are protectors of the Iron Throne and that she has been clearing the way for the rightful heir of that throne. If that were the case, she wouldn’t be moping around Castle Black bemoaning the loss of her faith because her prophecies didn’t come to fruition, would she? Interesting theory, but it doesn’t line up at all.

12. Mollymoo says:

Next time Hodor says “Hodor.” I want to hear Bran say “Whatchu talking about Willis.” That was my favorite part of the episode u rail Tyrion wanted to make friends with dragons and then asked Varys to punch him in the face the next time he got such a bright idea….and then that was my favorite until I-knew-it-was-coming-but-screamed-anyway!!!!! #JonLives

13. Alan Paron says:

Who were the people fighting in the preview for the next episode? I didn’t recognize them

• Mollymoo says:

You see Bran and the three-eyed Raven at the front of the clip. I assume it’s the Tower of Joy, so the young guy with long stringy hair is Ned Stark with his pals and the others are the Gold cloaks, Rhagear left guarding Lyanna.

• Mollymoo says:

At least I assume that’s the fight scene you are talking about. Makes sense to see (possibly) a Bran vision explaining R+L=J right after J comes back from the dead. :)

14. unodos says:

there should be more male nudity
    he should’a been naked there, to make up for all the fuss

• Redheadgurl says:

Did you see the preview for next week? It’ll be Jon on the flesh rising from the table. Kinda can’t wait

• Lucifer says:

lmao, get over yourself. I’m so sick of seeing these entitled and perverted demands. female breasts =/= penis. If you think that, you failed basic human anatomy.

15. Redheadgurl says:

Kill the boy, Jon Snow. Winter is almost upon us. Kill the boy and let the man be born….. Now onto the Tower of Joy! squee!!

16. AngelWasHere says:

Yessss my Jon is back! Woooo! This was an awesome episode! And oh boy Ramsay is ruthless and Hordor use to talk?! Also love the stuff with Tyrion and the dragons. I can’t wait for next week! Show me Jon’s bare butt (I’ll take frontal too) and I may just faint.

17. Stacey says:

Yes, Jon is back! I thought something might happen because they kept panning to Ghost sleeping on the floor. So glad he’s alive again. Ramsay is truly sick and needs to pay. I wished Theon decided to stay with Sansa and co. for a longer redemption arc but with his father being killed, it’s important he goes back home and hopefully help his sister.

18. leo says:

Nice bulge, Kit. LOL. If this is true to the book world, Jon Snow would be totally naked.. Ohh..

19. Now that Jon’s alive, I think he’s really going to be ‘ticked off’ with Ollie, alistar, etc.Ramsay is a true psychopath! Arya & Sansa seem to be in good hands! Tyrion is more & more likely to be part Targaryen. Now we see whether Dany is rescued by Drogon & what happens at the Wall – enter Sam ? Also. I’m waiting for a bloodbath at Kings Landing and/or Dorne (Lannisters vs Sand Snakes )..

20. TinLV says:

I never thought he was dead for good.. I said it here in this forum the day after he died. It didn’t matter how many times people from the show said “Jon Snow is dead”.. I knew Melisandre would be bringing him back. I haven’t read the books, but have read enough about them to have figured out that the three main characters, who will be tasked with saving their ancient world, with help from the dragons, of course, are Dani, Tyrion and Jon Snow and one of them will win end up on the throne ( my guess is Dani). I am hoping this season reveals Jon’s true roots,(or at least what a lot of readers believe them to be) and since Bran ‘saw’ Breanna Stark tonight, they seem to be heading in the right direction.

• Mollymoo says:

I’m sure it’s coming. The preview for Episode 3 showed clips of what I assume is the Tower of Joy with young Ned and the gold cloaks. That battle is the leadin to Lyanna’s death. Whether Jon is an infant there or not, she does die on a bloody bed in that Tower.

• Rob says:

Her name is lyanna

21. jeremy says:

I’m glad they didn’t drag the resurrection of Jon out. I was kinda hoping he would awake when set ablaze on his prye, but this works. The red hag finally did something good, however she still in the out house for the role she played in burning of stannis’s daughter. As for the traitors of the nights whatch, I don’t think Jon will seek vengeance…… maybe Allister might die, but I think that Jon will forgive Ollie, I mean who could blame the dam kid he watched as thormond and other willing kill his family then Jon let’s them through

22. Jerri says:

Such a cop out. Either should’ve left him dead or not even killed him in the first place.

• Libby1973 says:

Jon had to die as a form of character growth. Moreso in the books than the show, he is extremely naive, he lacks confidence. I refer back to the wear it as armor comment by Tyrion.

Despite his position at the Wall, his friends, his abilities, and the praise from Mormont and others he is still a boy who wants acceptance. He shows doubt, which is viewed as weakness by his ememies. This allowed them to kill him to begin with. Where his cheering section sees him as gold, his nay sayers see a turd who rose to the top as a Stark only.

He can find out his story, write a new one, and become historical all at once now. With out worrying about his dad, step mother, or half siblings. AND…get out of that pesky oath…all while killing pasties.

• Walrus says:

In the books, IIRC, he’s only in the 14-16 age range. All of the children are much younger on the page than on the screen.

• Mollymoo says:

It’s not a cop out. Jon dying and coming back propels the story in a way Jon living and never dying could. Those that see him returned now have a miracle to follow…as the previews show, the wildlings think he’s some sort of god. I bet the remaining Brothers in Black aren’t too different. It brings the sides together behind one central figure. Melisandre has been seeking the second coming of Azor Ahai. This sets that up well. It’s gives Jon an opening, permission if you will, to break his Night’s Watch vow and leave. Those Starks take their vows seriously, he wasn’t leaving that block of ice and fighting a personal battle as Lord Commander. And it’s in line with the books. The final scene in the last written book is Jon’s death scene, yet all the foreshadowing, starting with the prologue of that book…and even going back to Dondarrion and Lady Stoneheart, sets up his resurrection. Book readers have been expecting this since the last book was released. Glad to see it come to fruition.

• AnnieM says:

I’m glad they didn’t drag out Jon’s resurrection. Since his story is now off-book going forward, I’m anxious to see where his storyline takes him.

23. RubyRed24 says:

The Bridge of Death scene looked EXACTLY like the similar scene in Monty Python’s Holy Grail.

24. Mollymoo says:

Just watched it again. I’m glad they’re looping back and covering some missed Book material (The Iron born threads, blind Arya…) and I can’t wait to see what lies ahead (Tower of Joy in Bran’s vision, Jon’s return, etc…) I have read thru the books written to date. I’ve even read the tales of Dunk and Egg. I’ve watched every episode…and I’m feeling like this season may be the best yet.

25. Walkie says:

Don’t expect the “old” Jon Snow to be back. I wager death will have changed him greatly.

26. evelyn says:

OMG!!! I took a breath just like Jon Snow did!!!

27. rickrenteria says:

No mention of when Brienne tells Sansa that Arya is still alive?

28. Jack Westo says:

Ramsey released the dogs on Walda. In the previous episode, the dogs were used to track Sansa and Theon and if I remember correctly Theon warned Sansa that the dogs would tear her apart.

When Brienne showed up, what happened to the dogs. Did they just run off? I would have expected them to attack Brienne and Pod but they seemed to disappear.

• maregolden says:

Those dogs that were in last weeks episode were bloodhounds, used for tracking. Once they found Sansa their job was done. Last nights dogs were completely different.

29. John Pelegano says:

OK. Since John Snow died I’m guessing that his “watch is done”. He can now leave the wall if he wishes, freed from his oath. I suspect that he won’t however as the risk of the white walkers is too great to leave to anyone else to deal with. Since, if The Wall is breached Winterfell and the entire North would be overrun, John has to stay Lord Commander until that threat is dealt with. Once that’s over though there is nothing holding him back from finishing the job that Rob started using all the forces of the North together with a wildling army and whatever remains of Stannis’ force.

30. Evan V says:

Cersei better watch out! Her giant is no match for John Snow’s giant. The night watch guy shot the arrow at him and he turned around and was like really man haha

31. I am going to withhold my joy at Jon Snow’s reanimation. Knowing GOT as I do, I will not be surprised if his death experience changes him in a bad way. I know that in a vision Mellisandre has seen him fighting, but in whose side and for what purpose? Hope I am wrong. Just sayin’.

32. I never believed that Jon Snow was dead. However, I was still worried that he was. I did think that if he was alive he would have to be resurrected by Millesandre. I thought this weeks episode was great. I did not expect the death of Bolton or Balon.

33. Tyrion to Varos after unchaining the two Dragons – ” If I ever have an idea like that again, punch me in the face…” – LMAO. Also 99.9% proves that Tyrion has some Targaryen blood in him ( The instant trust between him & Daenerys, his knowledge that Dragons a far smarter than most people think (even Daenerys) & they need space/don’t like being tied up, e.g. the Dragons didn’t cook him – and seem to know what he is doing to do, unchain them)… Great opening episode to Season. Note: Is Tyrion the second Dragon rider ??

• Mollymoo says:

And his written description says his hair is paler blonde compared to Jamie and Cerseis gold locks. In fact I think it’s Jon that describes it as nearly white. His eyes are two different colors – one Lannister green and one appearing black. Dany is said to have purple eyes so dark they appear black and the expected Targaryen white blonde hair. I have not really been in the Aerys rapes Joanna and gets Tyrion camp….but perhaps the clues do point that way. If R+L = J, and A+J=T than in theory the three riders would be Dany, Tyrion and Jon. Or, dragons are just really smart and trust Tyrion… :) I don’t buy that in the GRRM world, but maybe in D&B’s. After all in Dance w/ Dragons, Quentyn goes to free the drags thinking he will be their pal and, if I recalled he had some diluted Targaryen blood, and the dragons roast him for dinner.