The Flash Man in Iron Mask Identity

The Flash's Iron Mask Reveal Is Going to 'Blow Your Mind' — So, Who Is It?

In its Season 2 finale, airing May 24, The Flash will lift the veil on the Man in the Iron Mask. And the answer to that half-season mystery “is going to blow your mind,” avows showrunner Andrew Kreisberg.

“Honestly, the two things I’m probably most proud of this season,” Kreisberg said at this week’s press event, “are [the introduction/development of] Harry and the identity of the Man in the Iron Mask.” Indeed, since Iron Mask was first introduced in this season’s 14th episode, there has been rampant speculation about his identity — fueled as well as confused by varying reads on his physical attributes.

As recently as last week, the producers have declined to say if if the actual actor to be revealed under the mask has been wearing it this whole time, but I think it’s a very safe bet to say that he hasn’t, seeing as that would make setside leaks too easy. Teddy Sears, who plays the mystery prisoner’s captor, Zoom/Hunter Zolomon, told TVLine he had no idea who it was until the finale, which would be improbable if a castmate had been flitting around in the mask this whole time. (Similarly, Sears didn’t wear the Zoom suit until that recent reveal.) As such, any visual clues, including Iron Mask’s height and build respective to other characters he has shared scenes with, should probably be dismissed.

All told, Sears said of Iron Mask, “We do see him throughout [Season 2’s final episodes], but I didn’t know who he was until [filming] this finale episode. I had no clue before…. But the identity will be revealed and I think it’s going to be very satisfying for the viewers.”

Here are some other facts and clues to consider before sharing your latest and best guess in Comments.

♦ The Man in the Iron Mask has been held captive by Zoom since at the very least Season 2, Episode 14, “Escape From Earth-Two” — but likely much longer, seeing as he is visibly weary, and grungy.

♦ By some accounts/screen grabs, Iron Mask has blonde hair. By some accounts/screen grabs, he has dark skin… or decidedly Caucasian skin. But again, visual clues shouldn’t be assigned much weight since it’s unlikely the actual actor has been in the mask this whole time.

♦ Once Barry and Jesse cracked Iron Mask’s POW code, the mystery man tapped out the letters “J-A-Y.” In retrospect, he could have been trying to tip Barry off to Zoom’s identity — that though would assume Iron Mask knows that Barry on Earth-One knows Jay as “Jay” and not by his true name, Hunter Zolomon. If Iron Mask was attempting to identify himself, one would think that after tapping out the letters, he’d gesture at himself a la “Jay is me!” But maybe he did? Because after Barry claimed that “Jay” is alive and well on Earth-One, Iron Mask had a strong, dismissive reaction, before Zoom cut short the gents’ conversation.

♦ The case against it being (any) Jay Garrick is that, as noted above, Sears (quite sincerely, trust me) said he was surprised by the reveal — which one could argue means it isn’t him, else he would have gotten word in advance (as he did with the Zoom twist). Or, to play Devil’s Advocate, he was surprised to be told on set, “Hey, Teddy, slip this mask on for us now…..” Thing is, the set-up for the Iron Mask mystery/reveal would suggest that at least some incarnation of the character will carry on into Season 3 — and Sears is committed to run the CTU on Fox’s freshly greenlit 24 series relaunch.

♦ One theory is that Iron Mask is Henry Allen, who since being sprung from prison and promptly leaving town has been a bit conspicuously MIA. Henry, though, resurfaces in next week’s episode, to counsel Barry. Maybe Iron Mask is Henry’s Earth-Two doppelganger? Though surely he then would have tapped out “D-A-D,” right?

UPDATED: Does Barry know the guy? As TVLine reader “Flash” reminded us, Hunter in the April 19 episode gloated to Team Flash, “You wouldn’t believe me if I told you” who was inside the mask.

♦ Zoom keeps prisoners for a reason, Killer Frost noted this week, because he needs something from them.

UPDATED: And then there is the mask itself. For the purpose of a TV mystery, obviously it is needed. But there will need to be a storyline reason why Zoom slapped a mask on this guy versus any other captives. (A villain so cocksure surely didn’t presume that heroes would ever infiltrate his lair and thus “see” his prisoner.) Is it, as some of you have suggested, to save him the sight of someone he cannot stomach? Is it blocking powers?

All that said, and especially for those who read beyond the 140th character above, who is your current, “mind-blowing” pick to be hiding under the mask?

1. Daniel says:

I’m going with Oliver Queen.

• Ian says:

That was my 2nd guess after Ronnie, that perhaps it was Eddie from a different Earth who could also be Cobalt Blue, and his introduction would throw WestAllen off enough to delay it for a 3rd season, lol.

• wrstlgirl says:

You know there will be no WestAllen without drama and Eddie will certainly cause that :-)

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

…especially if he came back pregnant with his and Iris’ baby. #WackyEarth2biology #LongGestations #PlusTheDudeThing

• wrstlgirl says:

LMAO oh God that’s funny!!

• Ian says:

His memory has been a strong thread since Barry went to Earth-2, and I read somewhere that they want to bring Patty back eventually, so probably it’s all been foreshadowing this kind of a plotpoint. Eddie I can get excited for. Patty… not so much.

• Ian says:

I meant back in time, not Earth-2.

• Ian–I was all about them using a Cobalt Blue-like twist, only making the evil twin of Jay, not Barry (even though it could lead to 4 people played by Sears). I had considered Ronnie, as there was no body, so maybe. Eddie would be interesting, because it could mean the reappearance of Reverse Flash is not a “time remnant” (lame), but the Eobard from E2.

The unanswered question for me, which keeps me leaning toward the mask being Jay-who-looks-like-Teddy, is that they set Jay up to be a scientist, who was a known entity in the community, and showed him to be pretty science savvy, which I am thinking a serial killer with unkempt hair and crazy eyes is unlikely to be. Yeah, this Hunter may be a Good Will Hunting, but seems doubtful.

• Sayre says:

Yeah, except Hunter had real feelings for Caitlyn.. meaning it really was his remnant hanging out with her, not Jay..

• Luke Howard says:

I was thinking maybe the man in the mask is hunters dad. Think about it, flash always wanted to go back and save his mom, maybe hunter went back so that he could stop his father but when he learned it couldn’t be changed he took his father instead and kept him prisoner, would be pretty cool + they’ve already cast and shown him in an earlier episode.

• Clara says:

I thought this at first, but that wouldn’t be of any real importance to the plot and definitely not important enough for such a big build up. I reckon it’s someone we already know, most probably Ronnie has he disappeared into the portal. Though, if it is Ronnie, then that’s a third time he’s died and come back and I’m not sure how much longer the show can keep this up..

• St Kos says:

Hunter’s father was in the military and the Iron mask used a military code to communicate. I a very brief scene from last week he also appeared to be wearing one of those double-breasted, Earth-2 style military blouse. You could be right.

• Jay Garrett says:

That’s it!

• Don says:

Morse code is not a military code

• Alex says:

The tap code isn’t morse. It’s POW and primarily part of SERE training

• Duke says:

This is my suspicion. Not that I think I’m likely to be correct; I just think it would be an interesting aspect to Zoom’s psyche. I feel the “5×5” code reinforces the idea that it might be Zolomon’s father. However, Jay Garrick– comic-book-wise, was a war veteran himself. I really don’t think the show has delved much into development of “Jay,” save that he was a scientist of sorts. It may well be that Zoom captured Jay, stole or is working on stealing his speed, and merely posed as Jay owning to their remarkable similarity.

Sadly, the only thing that I am sure of is that we’re not going to be “blown away” in any way shape or fashion by the reveal: producer’s just can’t afford to take too big a risk: an alienated audience results in cash flow problems. At best, we can hope it makes sense and brings either an entertaining twist to the story or resolution to some annoyingly open detail of the past. At worst, they’ll try for shock value and do something unbelievably stupid that will annoy us all.

Fortunately, it’s only the second season: the writers likely haven’t had to grasp at straws yet. My only real dissatisfaction with the show at all is fairly minor: while it’s not exactly a “dark” story, it’s considerably darker than the Flash character and stories have traditionally been portrayed in the comics. Frankly, his remarkably casual and upbeat nature were part of what made him my childhood favorite amongst all the angsty brooders found in other books.

My most pleasant surprises of the series have been how remarkably perfect Jesse Martin has proven to be and what an incredibly skilled actor Tom Cavanagh is. (I’ve never seen him before. It says something that I never really care what actor is which or who, but that man is truly talented– stage-worthy performances every time.

• wrstlgirl says:

I was just gonna say is it possible that it’s someone from Arrow. Now that would be awesome!!

• Azerty says:

I would love it being Earth 2 Oliver since he is supposed to be dead in the E2 Gambit. As some other people I was expecting Ronnie, now I hope it is not Jay (or any incarnation of Jay because that would not be surprising at all).. Other than that I have no idea, hope it’s a good twist.

• Mirza Baig says:

I think it’s the REAL JAY GARRICK…….

• Dave Elliott says:

My thoughts exactly. The rest are clones which is why Jay1 needed velocity and Jay2/Zoom needs Flash’s speed, They are all decomposing and it has been referenced in earlier episodes. On another note, when they needed to use a form of Morse Code to communicate when being held hostage by Zoom when they could clearly see each other was bit silly.

• Henchman #236 says:

The guy in the mask can’t talk so him using code makes sense.

• MR Chris says:

It might be though but it would be kinda boring for such a big reveal its too many jays we want something new and the flash crew knows that.

• Louie says:

He’s dead in that earth

• MRS JANET CAPSTICK says:

thats who i would say also

• Ben says:

beat me to it! or someone from Arrow at least! (John diggle’s mask isnt too dis-similar)

2. Squirrelly says:

…Leonardo DiCaprio?

3. Mo says:

I think it’s the real Jay Garrick… not played by Teddy Sears. The only reason Jay looks like Hunter is because Hunter decided to call himself Jay. I think he kidnapped the Man in the Mask before that (after all, Jesse says in 2.14 that he’s been there since she got there) and took his identity to mess with everyone.

If it’s not Jay, it’s Ronnie, who didn’t die but was taken prisoner by Zoom when the breach opened. He’ll be mightily disappointed to learn that Caitlin immediately moved on with a serial killer… But at least they can be happy again!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Ronnie is a fun theory, but he would/should have had a more visceral reaction to seeing Caitlin.

• Brian says:

I feel like Ronnie was probably one of the breachers Frost and Deathstorm talked about killing. That’s why it took so long for Stein to feel the effects of losing him–he wasn’t dead yet.

• jerrired says:

Yeah I was just thinking that. That’s why I don’t think it’s Ronnie. He would have had a bigger emotional reaction.

• KT says:

I agree. Until last night, I thought it was Ronnie, but he didn’t seem to have a big enough reaction to seeing Caitlyn. Darn.

• leo says:

Ronnie might not have any memory hence no reaction and another reason he kept killer frost?

• Melina says:

That’s exactly what i think, if it is ronnie the producers failed in making no emotional reaction to seeing Caitlin. I dont think they would make this kind of mistake.

• ? says:

It’s Jay Garrick, not played by Teddy Sears. He’s too important and rich a character for the show not to want to play with him in the future. I’m 100% certain. Now, the fun part is, is the real Earth 2 Jay Garrick played by John Wesley Shipp? Is Jay Garrick a version of Barry’s father? Mind = blown.

• Henchman #236 says:

We saw Earth 2 Barry and we saw him call his mom. His mother on E2 said to Barry “they” were going on a honeymoon to Atlantis. Henry Allen on E2 is just Henry Allen. Jay Garrick will be played by Teddy Sears to play off the twin/Malcolm Thawne comic story.

• leo says:

Never confirmed it was the dad going all that e1 barry dad is e2 or it could be his dad brother for Garrick is a family name?

• GraceM says:

Wouldn’t the man in the iron mask male more of a point to communicate with Barry or have a bigger reaction if it were Henry?

• Kev says:

That’s been my theory the entire time. The man in the iron mask is Jay Garrick, but it’s Barry’s Dad’s Doppelgänger. Greg Berlanti just went on the defensive on Twitter that Jay is too important and valuable to make a villain. Hence, he’s Barry’s Dad who I thought was supposed to be dead instead of Barry’s Mom on E2?? I could be wrong.

• OmarMitta says:

It was the exact same idea I had in the beggining (kinda exact, lol). I though about his John Wesley Shipp making a velocist like “Future Flash” who dissapeared (like said in the journal) or some kind of “Flash from 1991” (okay, this one was a joke) but I didn’t saw this one. Really, really good idea, dude (or lady). This makes sense in every aspect, except the ages that don’t fit, I think that in an earth where a 16 yo girl has more graduations than Master Stephen Hawking (and probably more intelligent than him) would have a more powerful system against identity fake, right?
        Well if it happens I would love anyways but haters are gonna hate and producers are gonna be producers, these are the only assurances we have in any series or seasons.

• look at i his long slender body yes it is sears

….

• Joseph DiBartolomeo says:

Did you not read the article? They said the actor in the mask is most likely not the same actor who will wear the mask in the finale. So you can’t look at physical attributes of the actor. Same thing with Zoom. Teddy Sears didn’t wear the Zoom costume until the recent reveal. It was a stunt double the whole season.

4. jmble says:

My guess is that it’s a future version of Barry. That’s the only thing I can think of that would have a big impact that would “blow your mind”.

The only other thought I have would be that they are introducing a new DC character like Green Lantern. That’s the only way I can see someone we don’t already know “blowing our mind” The Flash/Arrow universe has referenced Hal Jordan in the past.

• Hallelujah says:

I completely agree it could be a future version of Barry… After all, he tried to warn Barry that Zoom was Jay, so it could make sense. I also think that’s the only way my mind would be blown. Not quite sure what he would want from a future Barry though.. Maybe his speed?

• Henchman #236 says:

A future Barry from earth 1 on earth 2 is convoluted. The guy in the mask is the real Jay. He was spelling Jay to give them his name. That’s why he spazzed when Barry said Jay was on his earth.

• Brian says:

Agreed. Probably Barry’s time remnant from the original Earth-1 future, angry his timeline was splintered.

• herman1959 says:

So, maybe the future version of Barry from when The Flash disappears?

• Tori Savage says:

oh my god, I didn’t even think about the fact that the flash disappears in the future. That would explain where he ends up. Though I don’t know what zoom would want with him.

• OmarMitta says:

It’s being said by the fans that his dissapearance in the future is a relation to “Crisis on Infinite Earths”. I am more to the realtion that, maybe E2 Barry’s dad isn’t exactly the same, maybe he is another actor and John Wesley Shipp (the actor who plays E1 Barry’s dad and played 1991’s Flash in television) is the real Jay Garrick who had his identity stolen by Hunter Zolomon, if you think Jay Garrick is usually much older than Teddy Sears (Hunter Zolomon actor) and usually looks about 45-50 yo (in looks, like white hair and stuff) and the body parts shown by the camera are very alike John Wesley Shipp too.

• Jim says:

BINGO!!!!! We found out in Season 1 very early that The Flash disappears 10 years in the future so storyline wise revealing the Man in the Iron Mask as Barry in 10 year’s . This could set up Season 3 with trying to get future Barry back to the future to prevent the disaster we see in the newspaper from 10 years from now. We could find out the reason for the mask is Zoom hates Barry and doesn’t want to look at him thus future Barry/Flash has the mask on.

• Henchman #236 says:

The guy in the mask can’t talk so him using code makes sense.

• Henchman #236 says:

Ignore comment. My reply wasn’t meant for comment. I will say however you need to remember Barry disappeared in the 90’s and Zoom has only been around for two years on earth 2. You are over thinking it. Jay and Hunter will turn out to be brothers. Have you ever seen the movie the Man in the Iron Mask?

• Henchman #236 says:

Let me rephrase to be more clear. Future Barry that disappeared ended up in the 90’s. If anything he went back to his own time or became the lightning (speedforce) that struck Barry. Future Barry being under the mask is too convoluted this late in the season to explain.

• Joseph DiBartolomeo says:

Why do you keep bringing up “the 90s”? Why would you think future Barry ended up in the 90s? That is totally random lol. Are you referring to something in the comics? If so, i think its pretty clear that this show has diverted greatly from the comics. And if you’re talking about the night Barry’s mom died, that happened in the early 2000s. Not the 90s. I’m really curious what you mean?

• Kira says:

I totally agree that it could be Barry in the future. In fact I seriously think that it is the Barry that disappeared during the Crisis in the future.

• Erik says:

In the sense of another DC hero, I think it could be Captain Marvel or Shazam. The helmet is keeping him from using his powers.

• Mad Hobbit says:

i think it might be Barry’s son from another earth and he became the Flash not Barry time works differently on the earths,flash spent several days on Supergirl, came back seconds later. going thru the breach, one of the things he saw was the 30th century LSH.

• Damo says:

That’s my beat too. If you reacall from season one, in reverse flashes hidden room, he kept checking the future news and always got the same response. Flash missing. Would explain where he went

5. Z says:

It could be the real Jay Garrick.. that the fake Jay, Hunter, has been keeping prisoner… that way it could easily be a different actor.

• Delirious says:

As soon as E1 Zolomon appeared, it was my top guess. E1 Zolomon is a normal guy, E2 Zolomon is Zoom, E1/E2 Garrick is actually someone else (as in another actor), whose identity E2 Zolomon stole to steal E1’s Barry’s speed, while keeping captive.

• Kira says:

But what about the helmet. I mean they showed the flashback to how Hunter became who he was and that helmet is the same helmet that represents Jay Garrick’s version of The Flash. That at this point is what is confusing me. I mean Zoom seemed to have a real attachment to that helmet (which is a testament to why Cisco can use the helmet to spy on Zoom on E2). If Zoom did in fact steel Jay’s real identity then what’s with the connection to the Helmet? It’s like he took his fathers battle helmet and made it a symbol of a fake hero. Remember when Zoomed talked about how fun it was pretending to be a hero. I felt like it was him all along playing hero on E2.

• Joseph DiBartolomeo says:

It’s possible that in this version, the real Jay Garrick does not wear the helmet outfit. Instead, he wears an outfit similar to Barry’s. It might explain where Zoom got the idea for his black costume which is very similar to The Flash that we all know. I think in the comics, Jay Garrck eventually did get a costume make over to look more like the traditional masked Flash right? So the whole helmet outfit could just be Hunter’s creation, his dad’s outfit.

• Berto says:

I have a theory about earth 1 zolomon, it’s actually zoom. We only have jays word that he’s a normal guy, he never moves, it’s jay that takes Caitlin to see him, and we later find out zoom and jay are one and the same. Given that everyone else’s doppelgänger looks the same, introducing this man as hunter zolomon was either a mistake by jay, or a some part of zooms plan for the future

6. Elley says:

Hey, great theory !
    My guess would be Jay Garrick himself, as “he” (aka Zoom) said to Caitlin he didn’t found his doppelgänger in Earth1. But since he’s Zolomon, maybe there is really a Jay Garrick, who looks different, and Zoom captured him to prevent of being discovered as NOT the real Jay Garrick from Earth 2.
    If it makes sense, that’s my guess.

• wrstlgirl says:

The only problem I have with it being Jay is how is this mind-blowing. It’s been on the minds of fans for weeks.

• The Phantom Stranger says:

Not every fan is an online theorist like us. ;)

• jericho says:

There is a bigger problem with this theory. As Caitlin said, Zoom keeps around the prisoners he NEEDS. If the Mask is the “real” Jay, then he would no longer need him since his secret is out.

Yet this idea of keeping only who he “needs” basically cuts out Eddie (far fetched but a great idea) and Ronnie. He would not “need” either of them to fulfill his plan. So this would bring us back to Henry (even if we do see him next week, it could theoretically be him I guess). It could also be Hunter’s E1 Father. Both Barry and Hunter have both been “abandoned” by their father. It has been a point to correlate their stories as a good and evil version. So it would stand to reason that it would be Zoloman’s dad.

• oz says:

THE MAN IN THE MASK IS HUNTER’S FATHER. you are so right

• KCC says:

I won’t call it being Zoloman’s dad “mind blowing.” A character no one watching the show or character in the show cares about. It would be a psychopath keeping the man he sees as the murderer of his mother prisoner. Seems rather mundane to me. Even if he has the “wrong” man (i.e. his E1 vs E2 “father”).

• Crisha says:

But what good will it do on hiding his face with a mask?
          See what you’ve said is completely accurate and it fits in really.
          But the maker said that the identity will blow our minds.
          Why would Hunter’s dad being the man be anything shocking or mindblowing :P And neither it will do much of a twist to the story. I mean if it were Hunter’s dad, why hide him in a mask and plan for a grand revelation in the season finale?

• Quincy Scott says:

We just saw that Zoom, not only keeps around people he needs (Flash, Jesse), but people he could possibly have use for (Killer Frost until she became a twice liability), and people he has an emotional attachment to (Caitlin). The Iron Mask Guy is either someone he needs, someone he has a possible use for, or someone he has an emotional connection to, whether positive or negative.

• The Phantom Stranger says:

I agree, that’s the most logical choice. While it’s entirely possible they’ll go with someone else, I think all the clues – including Greg Berlanti’s tweet that they’d never make Jay Garrick a bad guy – point toward the real Jay being under that iron mask. (And hey, they actually called him Iron Mask like I’ve been doing. Neat. :D)

So, the real question is, who will play the real Jay Garrick? If nothing else, he should look similar to Teddy Sears – not identical, but still tall and square-jawed and handsome. Any ideas who it might be?

• Phantom Stranger–I have played plenty of scenarios, but I hope it is Jay and is played by Sears, because, 1. I thought Sears was really well-cast, 2. when “Jay” cradled the thingamawhozit that he threw into the breach, he held it like a football and original Jay was a college football player, and 3. this “time-remnant” stuff is BS, and even if it wasn’t, you could stretch comic book logic for it allowing Eobard to show up (and really stretch–in the actual comics he would have been from a hypertime or parallel universe), but why would Zoom know about these unless he had knowledge of time-travel, time-remnants, what happens when you kill an ancestor, what happens when you kill a slightly younger (or older?) you . . . AND after he killed “time-remnant” fake Jay, he called it a “complication” and seemingly directed the comment to Iron Mask Dude.

• Joe says:

He probably gets his speed from reciting the speed force formula…i

• Joe–then he should have tapped out J-H-O . . . maybe Barry misremembered the code so was getting it wrong, adding to his frustration. Of course, that leads to questions about J-E-S . . .

7. Kelly says:

Probably just wishful thinking but what if it’s Ronnie (not Earth 2’s since we saw Zoom kill him). Did they ever find his body? Maybe the singularity just ripped him and Stein apart and Ronnie landed on Earth 2.

• Sandra says:

I hope is Ronnie too. The way he “died” left the door wide open for him to be alive on another Earth.

• T says:

It’s possible that it could be Ronnie since, as you said, he and Stein did split in the centre of the singularity. It could also be Eddie since he was the first one to be sucked into the singularity when it first formed.

8. DavidJ says:

To me the most mind-blowing would be if it was Shipp as the original 90s Flash that had been captured by Zoom off another Earth (since we did see that brief glimpse of him in the vortex earlier). But I realize that’s highly highly unlikely. : (

9. ccarroll3392 says:

Earth 2’s Wally West

10. Even though he got shot, I’m hoping its Joe West.

11. Have really gotten fatigued with this Zoom plot. Not sure having just one major “Big Bad” on this show works. Either shorten the number of episodes next year, or tie up story lines for the villains within a few episodes. My only guess for the Iron Man is Earth 2 Barry.

• Henchman #236 says:

How is it Earth 2 Barry when Barry 2 was in Zoom’s lair with Iron Mask to rescue Barry 1? Are you watching the show cause your guess is really bad?

• Mad Hobbit says:

I just hope after two years of the Big Bad being a speedster, they go another way next year.but due to some scenes this year it might be a evil Barry speedster

12. Katrina says:

My guess is could be Wally West.

• sladewilson says:

I was thinking the exact same thing. Kid Flash Wally West with the blond hair. Zoom got him from another Earth and took his speed but can’t quite unlock his connection to the Speed Force. In the comics, Wally’s connection to the speed force was much greater than anyone else.

• nicky says:

You are right

13. Well, let’s think about it. Would Eddie really BLOW OUR MINDS? It would be nice to see him again, but my MIND wouldn’t be blown, and to be honest, my mind could only be blown if it’s a someone major DC CHARACTER.

If it’s someone we have seen before, my mind wouldn’t be blown. That includes previously dead characters.

There’s only one ACTOR we have seen before that could be mind blowing–John Wesley Shipp, but not as Henry Allen. As BARRY Allen–the SAME Barry Allen from the 1990 series.

We already know that the 1990 Flash exists on a separate Earth within the current show. We saw him in the portal.

That would be a fun arc.

Other than that, I wouldn’t mind seeing “the REAL Jay Garrick,” so the character can still exist on Earth 2. It would make sense that he exists since Zolomon is famous on Earth 2 and Garrick doesn’t wear a mask.

It could be BART Allen, but I don’t really want to see Bart until Wally has had some time as Kid Flash–at least a season.

14. Max says:

It’s obviously Eddie, since he is no longer on Quantico… and I would be thrilled with that.

15. Ian says:

It might also be another speedster from a different Earth that Zoom stole speed from?
    Its more than likely a metahuman, if they’re being held in that carbine cell like Frost was.

16. Azerty says:

Ok trying to think out of the box, the biggest surprise would have been Earth 2 Kara Danvers but he is definitly a man. So Earth 2 Rip Hunter? I am wondering if it’s someone we have already seen, someone’s doppelganger, someone from another show (from the arrowverse) or someone from the comics…so many possibilities!!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

“Mind-blowing” would seem to suggest a character, or at least actor, we have seen beforeunless it’s a new but extremely noteworthy DC Comics character like, as someone suggested, Hal Jordan.

• bill says:

How about Vandal Savage. Since he is immortal, we can’t be killed by zoom, so he just locked him up. Maybe even this version is a good guy and doesn’t kill the hawks.

• Glenda says:

well..if the above photo is a clue, the character is not caucasian…and alternate Earths are rarely, if ever; replicative in character..so, along the lines of an arrowverse story link: could it be John Diggle’s face on say, metahuman Green Lantern iteration Zoom imprisoned? Or Supergirl’s Jimmy Olson’s face on an Earth2 metahuman or new Hal?
      It could explain the death of Laurel Lance/Black Canary to reincarnate as Black Siren of earth2 to add more canon-loyal iteration of metahuman Black Canary.. Now, that story would have “pop” to create viewer interest, enhance audience loyalty–without favorite angst clouding creativity. To have favorites attached to multi-possibilities of character/storyline throughout the Tv-DC universe allows each show to serve core characters, yet also give hope character 1 or 2 or 3 (good-bad-missing-boring-meta-old-new) could show up to save the day or start a fire !

17. Luis says:

At this point, the real Jay Garrick would be the most logical choice, which suggests its not him, since it would hardly be “mind-blowing.”

18. Brigh.Guk says:

Howzabout the Flash from the 1990s TV series? There have been multiple references to him throughout this season

19. Brian says:

My gut reaction is yet another, heroic (and possibly slightly older) Jay from a third universe. That would explain where Hunter got the name and the idea to pretend to be a hero, and the mask would be for Jesse’s benefit: she could ID Flash as an impostor if there’s a second identical guy captured along with her. Maybe he also doesn’t want to look at himself. Jay-3 could’ve been another breacher before Barry broke the multiverse in the same way Barry can travel between worlds without “aiming” well. He doesn’t have to continue on with the show next year because Earth-2 still needs a hero.

But that’s not very mind-blowing IMO.

I think it’s Barry’s time remnant from the original timeline on Earth-1. That explains how Hunter knows about them and knew it wouldn’t kill him to murder his past self (Speed Force protection ftw). I had initially pegged him as Zoom, but maybe he’s the villain of season 3, since telling younger Barry not to save his mom probably splintered his timeline and ruined his life.

20. Max says:

… or it could be Barry from Earth 3.

• Considering that all our heroes are turning out to be villains on this other world — with the exceptions of the unpowered Barry Allen — it kinda feels like this IS Earth-3, as it usually exists in the comics.

21. Jared says:

If Jay, or any of his doppelgänger’s are revealed as the man in the iron mask, I can’t really see that being very satisfying for the fans. My guess is that it’s Henry Allen or Eddie(mainly for selfish reasons because I really liked that character)

22. Lily says:

He’s the real Jay Garrick!

23. dancmh says:

I’m hoping it’s John Wesley Shipp playing the Flash character from the first show in the eighties… If Supergirl gets her own earth…so could he.

24. Troll Zar says:

I think it’s the original Flash from the first timeline who went missing during the tsunami.

25. Laura says:

I’ve always thought it’s Eddie. If he is in the iron mask then on earth 2 he can never be killed which will allow there to be an eobard Thawne aka reverse flash and we all know how that turns out.

26. Mmcf says:

It is John Cena

27. the man in the iron mask is wally from earth-2..Earth-2 wally is Jay Garrick

28. Jim says:

Barry: You’re free. Who are you?

Man No Longer In The Iron Mask: I’m Batman.

[end season]

29. Jake Lenburg says:

I wonder if it is a future Bart Allen. That would be nuclear mind blowing. Because didn’t Jay/Zoom say that Zoom went around stealing speed from Speedsters.

My prediction is not only will Barry get his speed back but Jessie and Wally will get super speed. And all three will confront Zoom on Earth-2. Wally will probably be in his lab when the second explosion happens a la Barry.

At the end of the season, Jessie will remain as Earth-2’s Flash and Wally will become Kid Flash or they’ll call him Impulse. It is also possible Cisco’s powers will flourish and become more like Reverb power wise because of the second explosion.

It’s also possible that Wally will be in a coma like Barry but that is my main concern. If the explosion happens again, obviously new metas will be created, but will they go into a coma ? My guess too is that we will be getting an Earth 1 Killer Frost.

30. Isa says:

I’ll go with door number 3 and say Charlie Snow from Earth 1. Only because Killer Frost dropped that name for a reason and I’m all for family that isn’t West.

31. ktc1986 says:

I think it’s John Wesley Shipp as the real Jay Garrick.

• THAT would be phenomenal. I always wanted him to show up on Smallville as Jay Garrick.

• obriensg1 says:

I couldn’t stand what I watched of his Flash TV series, but I actually would be 100% down with this. Shipp could play Jay Garrick or the original Barry Allen and the entire 1990 show could be acknowledged as an alternate universe.

The idea that its Eddie bores me. It would be fun to have the Earth-2 Oliver Queen who is also a metahuman. I would find it surprising for it to not be a Flash character at all, which is why I like the idea of it being Oliver. Future Barry would also be cool.

• Luis says:

We already know from the Earth 2 episodes that Henry Allen is alive and well on Earth 2, so that idea, admirable as it is, doesn’t seem to work

• ktc1986 says:

We also know from Barry’s Multiversal travels that John Wesley Shipp’s version of The Flash exists in this universe, and a JWS version of Jay doesn’t have to be from either Earth 1 or 2.

32. Alfred says:

Reverse Flash, ie. Eobard Thawne. I don’t see why Zoom would like to keep Eddie alive….he isn’t going to be of any ‘use’ to him and in the confined box like he used to keep Barry.

33. Maybe it’s that world’s version of John Constantine, and the hood is there to keep him from casting spells and/or charming any of Zoom’s henchpeople into freeing him. :)

34. Andrew Gillis says:

Its Barry from another earth

35. sladewilson says:

My super wish list would be either Hal Jordan or Dick Grayson. I kind think it will be Barry from another earth or Jay Garrick. Wouldn’t mind Bart Allen though…

36. Kate says:

The real Jay Garrick, not played by Teddy Sears, but by Patrick Adams. I know he is supposed to be on Legends (and why couldn’t he be on both) more to do with I don’t want him to be Booster Gold as most people are guessing because they haven’t endeared us enough to Rip to make us be on his side in abandoned father issues especially when Booster Gold is a through and through good guy. The shows are all off of each other’s timelines at this point, so there is no reason that he can’t join up Legends when he is supposed to in an effort to get back to his time.

37. Blake says:

Maybe Barry from the future on Earth1 somehow? In season 1 there was a story line they kept going back to about the Flash missing in the future. Could that be him?

38. Luke says:

I honestly don’t think it’s E1 Ronnie since that wouldn’t explain why Zoom has kept him alive; killing him would make things a lot easier for his relationship with Catlin;

Also the statement that the identity will blow our minds has to apply , at least partially , to the characters on the show as well;
    story wise it wouldn’t make any sense for him to be a character we have never seen or heard of at all;
    the way I see it in the final episode when the mask is taken off everyone (both viewers and characters on the show alike) should be shocked or surprised by who it is;
    while for the fans hearing the man identify as , say, Hal Jordan would be amazing and wonderfull for Barry it would amount to almost nothing since he would basicaly be a nobody;

Moving on to past characters as I’ve said above I don’t think it’s E1 Ronnie, and while both Eddie and Wally seems like good choices I don’t see them blowing my mind away; I would be surprised but mostly curios as to why any of them are there;

Which makes me want to point out another clue that I haven’t seen mentioned;
    just like Killer Frost mentioned Zoom has a reason (even if twisted) for doing everything so
    besides the reason for keeping the man alive why has Zoom put the iron mask on him in the first place? the obvious reason would be the one traditionally associated with the Iron Mask, the man’s face; something about the man’s face annoys Zoom so much that he can’t even look at at it, the complete opposite reason for keping Killer Frost;

At this point the identity that I would be most excited would be future version of Barry (or just any other version really) but ultimately I just what the identity of the Man in The Iron Mask to be tied logically to the main storyline because until now nothing is connected to him ( even Zoom seems to pretty much ignore him );

• Justin Brown says:

Another huge clue people also seem to forget is the tap code and wy the tap code? I believe it was most popular used by Vietnam POWS i think.. so is there a speedster from that era on any earth???

• Henchman #236 says:

Why would you assume there was a Vietnam war on Earth 2 when they clearly went through the War of the Americas which didn’t happen on Earth 1

39. Matthew scherrer says:

The man in the iron mask is
    John Wesley Shipp not as Henry Allen but as Barry Allen

40. jerrired says:

My original guess was Earth-2 Wally or Eddie, but after reading the comments, now I am thinking that it could be a different DC comic character, to help introduce him into season 3.

41. Kanye sucks says:

I honestly feel it is Jay Garrick, but also a character we have seen in the past portraying him. My bet is Earth 1 Eddie Thawne’s doppleganger is Earth 2 Jay Garrick.

42. spindae2 says:

Bart Allen from either E1/E2.

43. Jane says:

I’m going with Stan Lee since sooner or later he turns up in every superhero movie or TV show whether he had anything towith them or not.

44. Kanye sucks says:

Earth 1 Eddie Thawne’s doppleganger is Earth 2 Jay Garrick.

45. Robyn says:

What about Hunter’s father?

46. Drew Clayton says:

If it’s gonna “blow our minds” then it has to be someone who’s character is of importance. It could be anyone from the West/Allen bloodline OR a Justice League member who CW can use without legal issues or whatsoever.

47. Valearth2 says:

Are we sure it’s not wall e? The guy looks black at some points but I can’t really tell.

48. S g says:

All wrong. Its Matt Webb Mittovich.

49. Justin says: