Grey's Anatomy Season 12

Grey's Anatomy's Jerrika Hinton Teases 'Excruciating' Steph/Kyle Development

In this week’s Grey’s Anatomy (8/7c, ABC), Stephanie finds herself on the outside looking in when her new MS-afflicted musician BF Kyle (Wilmer Valderrama) is re-admitted with a worrisome new tremor — and she’s barred from participating in his care. Why is she prevented from playing actual doctor with him? And how does she react?

In the following Q&A, Steph’s portrayer Jerrika Hinton previews this week’s “excruciating” turn of events, while also setting the record straight about her character’s own long-term prognosis in light of a certain high-profile pilot deal.

TVLINE | When you factor in time jumps, it’s been quite some time since Stephanie had a real love interest. What was it about Kyle that convinced her to take the plunge?
They had that moment after his surgery where, in his cocky way, he was talking about their similarities. There’s something [nice] about being with a person who sees you for you, and all that you are capable of. And I think that one conversation they had went a long way. Also, they met in the hospital but he’s not in the hospital. [Laughs] There’s enough separation there for her to feel a little more comfortable and not have to suffer the same fate as her last relationship did.

TVLINE | They seemed to go from flirting to coupledom pretty fast…
I think it took a while for them to go from flirting to coupledom. They texted back and forth for a while [before they had] some physical fun. And physical fun doesn’t always have to mean you’re coupled up. [Laughs] A nice pants-off dance-off doesn’t mean that there’s 100 percent commitment on the table. [Laughs]

TVLINE | Does she freak out when he develops this tremor?
She defaults to the thing that she knows. And the thing that she knows is that kind of stubborn/hardheaded/get-it-done nature. She knows his case. Once they get a little more information she has a pretty good idea what the prognosis should be. And so she fights for that. That’s what makes her good at her job. And that ends up getting her in a ton of trouble with her superiors.

TVLINE | ABC released a photo from the episode (see above) that shows Stephanie angrily staring through glass doors after she’s blocked from participating in his care. What is that like for her?
Excruciating. That is the worst thing you can do. Worse than leaving your girlfriend in a barn as you run off with your ex-girlfriend. [Laughs] Like I said, she’s good at her job and she’s trying to keep the professional and the personal separate. She learned that lesson the hard way [with Jackson]. So even though she has a personal relationship with him, she’s really doing her best to make sure that everything she advocates for is 100 percent about the medicine. And it’s up for debate whether or not she succeeds.

TVLINE | Grey’s fans know you are starring in Shonda Rhimes’ ABC comedy pilot Toast, so they’re a little on edge wondering if a bus is about to run over Stephanie…
We’ve already done that death. We’re not going to do that one again. [Laughs]

TVLINE | Without spoiling anything, is Stephanie’s storyline coming to some kind of conclusion in these final episodes of Season 12?
Definitely not. I feel very confident that there’s more ground to explore next season.

1. Sara says:

I really don’t think anyone really care about this pairing or character, if she leaves I doubt anyone would cry over her or any petitions will be made to bring her back LOL. I’m sure most of the Grey’s fans would sigh in relief of a one less character, there’s too much characters on the show.

• Erin B says:

Well said!

• NM says:

What I found fortunate is that Stephanie came out very high out of all the interns when they started back in nine. Aside from Brooks (RIP), Stephanie is the most likeable with Jo going downhill as of last season. Since having promoted 3 characters (this season alone), it has really pushed the writers into a corner. I like Stephanie and always have. But I do wish they’d cut back on promoting cast members and cutting out dead weight or reducing people back into their secondary positions. I would definitely like to see how primary vets getting their well deserved storylines (such as Callie and Arizona at the moment, as well at Karev and even Richard so they can explore his relationship with Maggie that has all of a sudden improved out of no where).

• Edward says:

I agree Steph started out as this relatable and geeky intern with the potential to be really likable but i don’t know if it was her spending time with Amelia or just not having a strong storyline that makes us give a damn from the beginning that by the time she actually does get thrown an arc we could care less. It makes her seem disposable to the rest of the cast.

• bigdede says:

By dead weight you mean Owen and his never ending whining over that new doctor? If so, yes, I agree.

2. Busta950 says:

Do not understand why she is having a real story line and we still do not see Karev with a really good one. She is a Newbie in comparison

3. Babygate says:

Sorry. Not interested in Stephanie’s storyline AT ALL. I hope Toast gets picked up so we don’t have to see her again. Both Jerrika and Stephanie seem like divas. That’s what comes across on the screen and it ain’t cute.

• NM says:

Stephanie will be back regardless if Toast gets picked up. It’s been stated she’d recur on Grey’s while filming Toast. Also, even if Toast does get picked up, the plot sounds so limited on what they can do that she’ll probably be promoted back to main character by the end of season 13.

4. Jovana says:

I was so, so sure she’d be gone after this season. I’m very disappointed now.

5. Pamela says:

I wish the writers had kept her with jackson instead of all the drama with April since they got back together.

6. Tony says:

Wow at all the hate. Let me speak for myself when I say I’ve just started to like Stephanie and I really would love to see yet dome back as shes just really starting to come into her own.

And IMO, the issue isn’t the cast size. Its the pacing and timing if certain stories. The Owen/Riggs stuff shouldn’t have gone on as long as it did. Same with Jackson and April. Did we really need to waste time on McVampie who had absolutely no chemistry with Mer? The Maggie/DeLuca stuff has been a bit drawn out as well.

7. EM says:

Hoping they don’t waste a lot of screen time on this. Have zero interest in this character and her hook up.

8. Desi says:

Karev is in love with Grey! Stephanie will be spared by the chief as she made a promise to look after her when she could have been severely disciplined. Stephanie will date the Chiefs husband.

9. Desi says:

Sofia might died! She had that condition right? Stress is bad right?

10. bigdede says:

If they would have kept Stephanie as a mini Cristina, I would be looking forward to this story. Instead for the last two seasons, they have done a complete 180 of her personality. It doesn’t help they barely show her. Stephanie and this guy Kyle hasn’t even gone on one date yet and now their relationship is in peril? Can Shonda at least let couples date for longer than 2 seconds before death comes knocking at the door.

11. katie says:

Not interested in Stephanie, she is mainly a supported character, she don’t need her own sl.
    hoping she is not back in s13

12. Anna says:

Hmm a lot of hate for Stephanie – I quite like her character. And I’m kind of annoyed that they haven’t had her working with Amelia – those were the only scenes I actually like Amelia in.

Also, all of the people whining that Steph shouldn’t have a storyline but “vets” like Arizona should are ridiculous. Arizona only came on a few seasons before Steph, and she is ALWAYS onscreen. I’m so sick of seeing Arizona’s face everywhere in the freaking hospital. Can Alex have a real storyline? He’s the real underused vet here!

13. Jan says:

never liked her, wont miss her, quite dissapointed that she is staying was hoping she would go after S12

14. Bark Star says:

No one cares for this whole basket of second row cahracters. Thin the herd, lower production costs, concentrate on the interesting characters.

15. mar says:

It’s unbelievable that so many sad people want to use the internet to spew negative comments. Keep going Jerrika.. jealous folks will push you forward.

16. mich5095 says:

It’s unbelievable how many sad people get on the internet to write negative comments. Jerrika keep moving forward and brush the haters off. You are building are a great career and there are people who are jealous and sad about their own miserable lives.

17. Lindsay says:

I’m just starting season 12 because I just didn’t have time to keep up on cable.
    And I have to say this season is just so….crap. Everything from the character promotions (no one cares about Stephanie and her nasty I’m-better-than-you attitude, and what happened to Owen and his strong, dominating personality? The list could go on), predictable story lines, and covers of crappy pop songs is starting to really justify my reason for no longer watching the show. I’ll finish the season, as I used to be a huge fan since season 1 and I’ve stuck with them until now. But in all honesty, I think I’m going to have to wash my hands of it. Bummer really that it’s gone down hill :/