Post Mortems
The Flash Killer Frost Dies

Flash Boss Weighs In on Chilling Twist, Previews Harry's 'Dangerous' Plan

This week on The CW’s The Flash, as Barry reconsidered his need for speed, Zoom claimed a victim over on Earth-Two.

Weighing in on Zoom aka Hunter Zololomon’s latest kill, Flash showrunner Andrew Kreisberg says it was simply a case of a doppelganger proving to be redundant. Meaning, Hunter iced Killer Frost because he now has “Jay Garrick’s” actual romantic interest, Earth-One’s Caitlin Snow, in his clutches.

“We loved what Danielle [Panabaker] did with [Killer Frost], so when we were designing this episode and we had Zoom kidnap Caitlin, it seemed like a fun thing to do to be able to have the two of them together. To have Caitlin actually experience time with her [doppelganger] gave us an opportunity to sort of deepen both characters.

“But ultimately, she had to go,” the EP continues. “Like even she said, the only reason he had to keep her alive was she was a living remembrance of him caring about [Caitlin].”

Turning to last week’s big “loss” — Barry ceding his speed to Zoom, in trade for Wally West’s life — Harry at the close of this week’s hour unveiled an idea on how to get our Flash back into the fast lane, by no less than recreating the original S.T.A.R. Labs particle-accelerator explosion. As anyone who has read the comic books knows, recreating The Flash’s origin can be fraught with peril.

“The next episode is about the efficacy of doing that,” Kreisberg says. “Harry thinks that between his particle-accelerator explosion [on Earth-Two] and what he learned from what the Thawne version of Wells did [on Earth-One], he can contain it and just get Barry his powers back. But it’s complicated and dangerous. Everyone, including Barry, has to sort of decide if this is the right way to go, considering the craziness that ensued last time. They’re sort of faced with a ‘Damned if you do, damned if you don’t,’ because Zoom is about to unleash a reign of terror on the city.”

The proposal will, for sure, have its opponents, seeing as, among other things, it could sire a whole new bunch of baddies. But interestingly, it’s one of Team Flash’s cooler heads that will endorse Harry’s bold plan. “Given what they’re up against, Joe, who’s always been so protective of Barry, surprisingly is the one who says, ‘Maybe we should give this a shot,'” Kreisberg reveals.

In fact, all of Barry’s father figures engage in the debate, as John Wesley Shipp returns as Henry Allen. “There’s a great scene between Barry’s three fathers essentially… where all three of them are sort of debating what their son should do,” Kreisberg says. “Not all of them have the take on it that you’d expect, and I think that’s what makes for such an interesting scene.” (Reporting by Scott Huver)

What did you think of the episode “Back to Normal”?

1. Lysh says:

I was sorta pulling for them becoming friends, but I guess it makes sense for Zoom to not need her anymore.
    I’m excited for the return of Papa Allen next week! I’m wondering if Barry will be at Laurel’s funeral tomorrow. The three shows kind of exist on different timelines unless it’s an event.

2. coco says:

I’m so excited to see the remaining episodes!

• Lambsilencer says:

Yes, I share that sentiment. And I have a feeling we might not have seen the last of Killer Frost. If Wells actually succeeds in creating that explosion, it could very well be that Caitlin gets hit and turns that blonde, icy “lady”. Would be a shame, though, because Caitlin is a great character to keep around.

3. Ian says:

I actually very much enjoyed this episode. And I thought it would get old having to slog through an indeterminate length of time of Barry without his powers. But i am glad he gets them back probably next week, and the potential consequences of another accelerator explosion opens up so many possibilities. Im so excited! This could be how Wally and Jesse get their speed, and dare I say, maybe they could throw a power Iris’ way? While I LOVE her and Barry’s moments and Candice’s acting (and her little “Girl, no” to Jesse and Joe’s “‘Cause they crazy” lines were everything! I got my life at the Wests having a bit of black folk flavor for a flash :D), I need for them to find a more regular function for her on the show.
    Lastly, I think this “villain” Griffin may have just been the most sympathetic and tragic one they’ve ever had :(
    Yawn at Frost dying. I was just surprised they would do that to Danielle.

• Raine says:

Thinking of the same thing

• CLV says:

I’m also glad they killed off Killer Frost. They didn’t write her well. She really wasn’t adding too much to the story. I would rather keep Caitlin. But I don’t like them making female characters just damsels in distress.
      I am glad they’re making Wally more likeable and more sensible. I love him
      I like Iris being incooperated more into Team Flash but I can see they have failed this season to show us the kick ass reporter they had promised us.
      Can they make Cisco use his powers more already. They could have used him this week since Barry was incapacitated. But I guess Barry had to be the hero in the end.

• Ian says:

It gets frustrating as hell watching her feel so idle compared to everyone else at Star Labs. I say make her a metahuman if it gives her more to do. A power that helps her investigating or something.

4. Whimsical says:

What a waste of a good villian

5. Jenny says:

Is it possible that the man in the iron mask is Ronnie? As in Earth-1 Ronnie? I know he supposedly died a the end of last season, but what if he didn’t and instead slipped through the breach to Earth-2? I not sure this would qualify as the “mind-blowing” reveal that has been touted, but I don’t think I’ve seen anyone ponder this theory yet so . . .

• Ian says:

That was my first thought. Ronnie. Not sure it it matters who he is though, because will we even still find out now? Zoom took Caitlin and zoomed.

• murley says:

Ronnie was my first guess too. I am not sure now but initially I thought it was Ronnie for sure. I have been waiting for him to show up in all this Earth 2 storyline.

• N says:

Oh that’s cool. Never even crossed my mind

• wrstlgirl says:

Ronnie entered my mind also. Kinda makes sense with Zoom in love with Caitlin and keeping Earth 1 Ronnie not only hostage but with his face covered so no one can see him and learn that he is actually alive. Honestly with all this hype I’m not so sure any reveal will be mind-blowing enough to live up to it.

• sporting4231 says:

Originally I thought it could be Ronnie or Eddie, but since the Man seemed weak now that Barry doesn’t have his speed I wonder if it is future Barry – the one that disappeared in the newspaper story Season One.

6. Jason says:

This would obviously be the perfect way for Wally West and Jesse Quick to get their powers. It would be cool if next season we had a whole team of speedsters.

7. Dj says:

I think Because of Wells plan Wally or Jesse will end up getting the speed force.

• raige says:

My guess is wally instead ,maybe Jesse too, but not confident about that, I think either the three ,or Barry and Wally, or only Wally will get the speed,.if the third one happens, they will expose Barry to a lot of stress to allow his body to get back the speed force……I think. (remember Griffin, he turned normal though I think he died).but we will find out.

• Jake says:

I really think all three of them will get their powers. Wally will be like Roy. Jessie will go back to Earth-2 and be their version of the Flash or Kid Flash (I am convinced that Jay is still out there, because Harry if I recall mentioned they have a Flash unless its another Zoom plot).

8. wrstlgirl says:

I missed the first 30 minutes. Did I miss anything important??

9. Gee, thanks for not spoiling. I thought this was a pre-episode item and then started reading about something I haven’t seen yet because I watch the show online the next day. Give a little more warning, eh?

10. Teresa says:

Question: If Hunter Zolomon is cured, then why is his lightening still blue?

11. Isa says:

I am shocked Hunter killed her. Killer Frost had such potential for great story lines and finally do some justice to Danielle. Kudos to her performance by playing both roles so seamlessly. Looking forward to seeing papa Allen again.

12. N says:

3 fathers??

13. CLV says:

I like that Zoom is looking crazier than ever. I was a little disappointed after the reveal because before he used to give me nightmares and looked like he couldn’t possibly be defeated. Him being Hunter made him less so with his connection with bland “Jay”. But now that they are showing him even more demented, he’s scaring me a bit more again.

14. Sheila says:

The scene where Wally talked to Flash reminded me of the rooftop meeting of Superman & Lois Lane in the 70s Superman movie. Kinda fun.

Not bothered by the loss of Killer Frost. She didn’t seem to serve much of a purpose besides smirking and bad dialogue.

15. Josh says:

I’m thinking we may see Wally Jessie and Caitlyn get powers. I wouldn’t mind that at all.

16. Joey Padron says:

Glad Caitlin finally got meet Killer Frost in episode. Kind of Sad she died. Good Barry and the team rescue Wells from meta human without his powers. Happy Jesse is part of the team. Glad they have a way to get Barry’s speed back. Happy Barry’s dad will be finally coming back in the show next week!

17. Squirrelly says:

Bummed to see Killer Frost go. Her campiness was a lot of fun to see.

Well, looks like I have to…Let it go.

18. I would pick my precious Caitlin❤over Killer Frost any day
    Zoom is seriously obsessed with Caitlin❤
    I find that both sweet and creepy

19. Amy says:

Killer Frost meets Caitlyn was definitely reminiscent of Vampire Willow meets witchy Willow.

20. sporting4231 says:

Hmm, so create a new accelerator, have Caitlyn and Wally get caught in the cross-fire and you have another Killer Frost and another speedster.

Given how the Man in the Iron Mask seems depleted of energy now that Barry has no speed I’m guessing that the Man is the future Barry that disappeared in the newspaper story from season one.

21. DC Queen says:

It is definitely possible that Wally will get powers, after all he is supposed to be the Kid Flash, right.

22. StuHN says:

My guess is we’ll get two more speedsters out of this: Jessie Quick & Wally (Kid Flash? Impulse?), and of course, Barry. Three against Zoom

• Jake says:

I’m hoping that as well. The only thing that stands in the way is the fact that when Barry got his powers he was in a coma for months. So it begs the question that if that does happen, will Wally and Jessie be in a coma after the new particle accelerator and arrive at the last minute to help Barry against Zoom ? If that does happen, then hire me Flash writers rooms !

23. N says:

Thought it was ridiculous giving Barry’s speed
    To zoom and all agreeing.
    How would zoom even know what was going to be shot into him.
    Opportunity for victory gone by.
    Just ridiculous Barry Allen walking around with
    No speed – suppose character thoughts- am I still a hero with no speed – am I secure in my identity regardless. I suppose valid line.
    But just ridiculous.
    After all that’s the reason we watch the show
    U hmmm “the flash”- Barry Allen
    And how everyone works together to win.

• Eggs says:

That’s what I thought. Wally was safe, they all had those guns trained on Zoom/Hunter. Why not just kill him?

24. Luisa says:

I think the particle accelerator will create the speed force which technically barry created. That will give birth to Jessie quick and wally

25. Ralph says:

I’m still mad as he*l at Kreisberg for last weeks debacle (Versus Zoom). The worst episode ever! It was bad enough that Idiot Barry gave up his speed leaving him powerless against a sociopath that will now terrorize two worlds. All he did was trade out hostages Wally for Caitlin (at least I like Caitlin). The topping on the crapfest cake was having Caitlin grovel to the villain to spare Barry’s life. Absolutely pathetic! The writers and Kreisberg should be taken out and flogged!
    “The needs of the many, outweigh those of the few (or one)- Spock