Alex and Meredith on Grey's Anatomy

Grey's Anatomy's Ellen Pompeo on Possible Mer-Alex Romance: 'They're Too Much Like Brother and Sister'

Meredith’s growing dependency on Alex in the wake of Cristina’s departure and, more importantly, Derek’s death has give (some) Grey’s Anatomy fans heart palpitations. Ellen Pompeo is not one of them.

In an interview with TVLine, the actress says she believes Alex and Meredith make better siblings than sweethearts. “I think they’re too close… too much like brother and sister. I have super-close friends who I’m not romantically attracted to at all. So I think just because you’re so in love with someone in one way doesn’t mean it’s a romantic love. But they certainly do understand each other a lot.”

In a recent TVLine poll, a slight majority of Grey’s fans were in favor of an Alex-Mer love affair. Should series creator Shonda Rhimes opt to go there with the longtime friends and co-workers, Pompeo says she will fully commit to the storyline. “Ultimately, it doesn’t really matter what I think‎,” she concedes. “This is Shonda’s show and whatever path she chooses to go down creatively, I’m with her. I’m going to give it my all. I trust her vision. We’ve been a great team so far.”  (Reporting by Vlada Gelman)

Which side of the Alex-Mer romance debate do you fall on? Hit the comments!

1. Li says:

I honestly think they’d make a surprisingly great couple, if they build it up the right way. They have nice chemistry and friends-turned-lovers is one of my favorite tropes if it’s done well. That being said, I don’t think they’ll go there unfortunately.

• Ana says:

I agree. Personally I’m indifferent about them being together. But if they do, it needs to be done right.

• A says:

I really don’t agree. Maybe the Meredith and the Alex from the earlier seasons. But now? When was the last time you saw Alex deny Meredith anything? Act like himself and not coddle her like a baby? If you look at the characters themselves and not just judge this as a normal viewer then Alex is acting so un-Alex around Meredith. Yes Cristina left and now he basically feels responsible for Meredith and yes Meredith went through a lot but Alex has been treating her with kid gloves and is hovering all the time, making sure she has everything she needs. People might find it sweet but I find it so overbearing and annoying. Meredith herself was annoyed by it. When Meredith does something wrong like steal Alex’s patients (which she did last season!) he doesn’t even say “what the hell are you doing? You can’t steal my patients!”, no he just lets her slide everything because she has a lot going on. In my opinion they’d be the worst couple ever because he wouldn’t even be able to fight with her anymore being scared she’ll break any second. Plus Ellen is right, the sibling kind of bond has been apparent for the past 12 seasons and IMO that’s all there is.

• Brenda says:

I agree totally they’re more like brother and sister they shouldn’t be together that would just be wrong on soooo many levels

2. Jake says:

They tried this once with George and Izzie. Let Meredith have a friend that isn’t in bed with her.

• Mary says:

The problem with George and Izzie was that it was never believable! They didn’t have chemistry.

• Ayesha qureshi says:

Yea they would not have worked out cuz of the lack of chemistry they had that one night stand when they were drunk which believable and they tried to force it but it got weird. They were better as friends.

• HQ says:

Twice actually because Jackson and April were best friends before they hooked up, It worked for them because it turned out the actors have amazing chemistry. I agree that if Mer and Alex were to get together it would be more like George and Izzie though because they are just too much like siblings! Really hoping Shonda doesn’t cross that line.

• sharon says:

Agreed. The worst idea ever. What’s wrong with just being friends.

3. Kathleen Novak says:

Mer and Alex. All the way!

4. Nikki says:

It would be worse than Gizzie because we’ve had the close friendship for 10+ years. They’re great friends, please leave it that way.

• k says:

Gizzie would have worked if they had kept it to a drunken one night stand and both of them feeling guilty about it afterwords . That should have been as far as it went. Oh and no scenes of them in bed together just flashes lol

5. N says:

Alex and Mer would be fine. They’re the last of the originals

6. Aisha Idowu says:

Okay here’s the thing. Meredith and Alex have always always been friends, even when he was Evil Spawn and the others just tolerated him because he was on the same service as them.
    Considering the people Alex has slept with (Izzie and Lexie!) there’s no way Meredith would even want to go there at all.
    Men and women can be friends and I think it’s perfectly fine to leave it there. I love Mer and Alex’s relationship, the twisted sisters were great but Alex was always more dark than Cristina so him and Mer vibed on that wavelength.
    I am however annoyed at how they made it affect Jolex, it was stupid and went on for way too long.

7. Eran says:

Let it the f*** go! They share such authentically beautiful, dysfunctional yet clearly loving and caring sibling chemistry, why would you want to mess with that?! Does romantic pairing for the hell of it really trump any rational plotlining or character integrity? Sick of this quite honestly, gross idea that belongs on some cheesy, CW vampire/werewolf/banshee show.

8. Grey says:

Why was there no question about her contract? Isn’t it up at the end of this season?

9. Pat says:

I totally agree with Ellen. The characters of Alex and Meredith are very close friends and could easily border on a sibling relationship.

10. madhatter360 says:

Gonna be pedantic here and point out that a plurality of voters wanted them together, not a majority. (majority has to be over 50%, plurality is the highest percent under 50% when none of the options got 50%)

11. Lauren says:

Can I offer an odd opinion? Whenever the show comes to an end (which I hope happens whenever Ellen Pompeo decides to leave) I wouldn’t mind seeing Meredith and Alex look each other in the eyes, smile, kiss and walk out of the hospital . I don’t really want to watch them try to be a couple but I wouldn’t mind the series ending with them riding off in the sunset to be together. Kinda like Stan and Peggy on Mad Men.

12. Lorna says:

Get a clue folks. Meredith’s end when the show ends in 2057 will be as Yang’s lesbian partner. Shonda doesn’t understand or value men so mark my words that those two will end up dying in each others arms when they are 200 years old ;;

13. Wooster182 says:

The only reason I came back to this show again was to see if they were going to finally end up together. I hope so.

14. Via says:

No to a Mer and Alex romance. They are more like brother and sister rather than lovers. Just wouldn’t feel right.

15. Court says:

Yes Meredith and Alex are like brother and sister,but they also know each other better than anyone else. If done the right way I think Meredith and alex would make an awesome couple. Meredith and Alex have been through everything together the good and the bad.

16. Nancy Farkas says:

Sadly Ellen doesnt even seem to care what fans want anymore. She just does whatever Shonda wants.

• Concerned says:

As she should. She is the actress, Shondra is the creator of the show. What are you expecting from her exactly? Does not seem like you grasp how the television industry works.

• grazelled says:

Look what happened to Mer’s TV husband when he dared go say what he wanted. Bam crunch when he got creamed by a semi truck and died alone in a small hospital, well with Blake. In Shondaland shows you don’t go against her.

• HQ says:

Only slightly more people voted for it than hell no (42-39) and a good chunk were undecided so I hardly think you can say this is something a majority of fans are clamoring for. You could say she does care about what a lot of fans think.

17. d says:

Ausiello you’re so terrible to Ko/Alex fans by romanticizing this friendship, that has always been that and was even more.like a siblinghood all the time. Think of Alex as the Cristina replacement now, he’s just being there for his friend. Also I disagree about people saying that Alex and Meredith understand each other better anyone else. There is a reason why Shonda made Jo Alex’s person in seasons 9 and 10. He hadn’t found his personal best friend who understands him like Cristina understands Meredith and so Jo came into Alex’s life. And unlike Meredith who just can’t understand the darkest chapters of Alex’s life as a foster child Jo gets those parts. I’ve seen Alex disclose more private information to Jo willingly than he’s done in 10 seasons combined to anyone else before. Why? Because she gives him the trust and comfort nobody else had given him before. It’s really quite a special relationship they have, but the writers ignore it all the time because they don’t care much for Alex or Jo aside from using them as friends for other characters. Alex is probably one of the best options for Meredith as a friend, however he has someone who is better for him romantically just like I think Riggs could be the one to understand Meredith’s pain better than anyone else right now. He’s a widower too after all. Also and I have to say this, a Meredith/Alex pairing would be terribly boring to watch. Fine, they’d realize that they’re more friends. And then? He already knows most things about her, he knows her kids, what would the writers even tell us? With a new guy you can at least make a storyline out of him getting to know Meredith, bonding, falling in love and meeting her kids and bonding with them.

18. Momo says:

Meredith and Alex are like brothers and sisters… big no-no for me!

19. Bark Star says:

These cahracters OBVIOUSLY are not meant as a couple. That is so readily apparent that anyone who thinks they should be together should examine their own lives.

20. EM says:

I like that they are best friends and they have so much history together. I could see them together as a couple if it was done right which is unlikely. Out of the current cast Alex is the only one I could see as a dad to her kids.

21. Alicia Gray says:

Just because a guy and girl are friends does NOT mean they have to be paired together romantically. It drives me nuts because it’s so narrow-minded and a little sexist.

22. fiberlicious says:

They are perfect best friends. Sex would ruin it.

23. Alex slept with Meridith’s SISTER… that is a clear NO GO!!!!!

24. Nerwen Aldarion says:

I’d like to see Meredith grow a pair. I’m so tired of Meredith barging in on Jo and Alex and then everyone acts like Jo is being ridiculous that she’s upset by it? I mean she literally kicked Jo out of bed one time just so she could lie down with Alex and whine. And yet Jo is the one who is the whiner?

I’m not even a Jo fan, I just wish people would actually look at this as a normal person would and see that letting Meredith get away with being so pathetic and clingy is just stupid. She’s an adult with 3 kids for gods sake!

25. Jeri says:

Alex is always so crabby. He’s been good to Mer recently but his own girlfriend rarely knows where she stands with him. Recently he proposed but he had been ignoring her very rudely for a long while first. He needs to chill.

26. EM says:

Gotta say, I am a little freaked out that this question keeps popping up. Like someone has some insider information? They could totally go there based on older clips of them but is it a good idea? This has ruined so many shows.

27. Stef says:

If alex was girl would they be saying Mer would be in a relationship with her? (Tho I’d love her to be bi too but that’s beside the point) what is it with the necessity to portray male/ female relationship ships in a romantic way. Theyre good friends

28. Ayesha qureshi says:

I think they have devolped Alex nicely, you know jerk turned nice guy. Hes a great friend to Meridith. Speaking of relationships, I think there should a couple that has a happy relationship, cuz there isnt many happy couples on the show ( which kinda mimics real life I guess). He and Jo have to work things out(if they haven’t already, I havent caught up completely). Alex and Meridith are wayyy to comfortable. It’s gonna be odd seeing them as a couple.

29. Tresa Smith says:

If that were to every happen, you might as well end the show now.

30. Xo says:

Alex/Jo is awful.

Alex/Maggie were super cute when Mer was gone… Js.

31. Ella says:

I’m all for it. I adore Alex and I think he gets and brings out the best in Meredith, who can be a handful and unbearable in the wrong coupling. Plus, I think he deserves better than Jo, who is increasingly annoying every episode.

32. sat says:

Go for Alex and Mer, this is for the win!

33. Armando Corpus says:

I am very anti Alex-Mer – the name is a true dud, but really I like the idea of Meridex…….it has a ring. Imagine if Shonda actually let them be happy for a season or two…..miracles do happen……

34. Liz says:

Brother and sister yr gonna have to get somebody like her husband all yr show i watch and can’t wait and yang she needs to go back