Flash Spoilers Zoom Teddy Sears

The Flash: Teddy Sears Teases Zoom's Barry Allen-Like Origin, Iron Mask Twist

The CW’s The Flash resumes Season 2 tonight at 8/7c with an episode that will at least start to answer our many, many questions about the sinister speedster known as Zoom, who was recently revealed to be “Jay Garrick” aka Earth-2’s Hunter Zolomon.

Was anything about Jay real? How did Zoom become who he is? And what’s behind his need for all the speed? Teddy Sears shared with TVLine a look behind the man in that mask… and a tease about the man behind that other mask.

TVLINE | How long did it take you to understand the Jay/Zoom twist?
Boy — I’m still trying to figure it out! No, I guess that’s not entirely true. [Laughs] Yeah, there are many layers here, man. It’s definitely like a piece of origami. It’s folded upon itself and upon itself and eventually it becomes this thing that you recognize. But right now, we’re still folding it in on itself. We’re not quite at the end.

TVLINE | Perhaps the best starting point is: Who was kissing Caitlin that whole time?
Good question. Hunter. Hunter Zolomon has been kissing Caitlin this whole time, and Hunter Zolomon has real feelings for Caitlin, while he played everybody else. The Flash Season 2 SpoilersWhat wasn’t part of the plan was falling for Caitlin, so that was a nice little twist. That was something the writers wanted me to keep in mind very early on, that what quote-unquote “Jay” is experiencing for Caitlin is very real and unanticipated. The one thing that was real, the only thing that was real, was his feelings for her.

TVLINE | So from the first day you set foot on set, you knew you weren’t simply playing a square-jawed do-right hero?
Just before accepting the job, I got on a phone call with [showrunner] Andrew Kreisberg and a few of the writers and he laid out for me what this guy was going to do this season. Bear in mind that when I auditioned, I didn’t know that it was for Jay Garrick; they kept it very vague, saying only that [the character] would be a mentor to Barry Allen this season. Now, had I known the comic books, had I seen the finale when the helmet flew in, maybe I would have put two and two together, but I honestly didn’t know what I was there to do. I have two younger brothers, so I was excited by the idea of playing a mentor. When I then was told how it would actually unfold, I got very excited, because how fun is that going to be, to play a couple wildly divergent characters?

Now if you look back, my hope — and I like to think I accomplished this — is that sprinkled throughout the [earlier] episodes, up until where we are now, you should be able to see very distinct moments where you’re like, “Ohhh. He’s tipping his hat a bit, to who he really is.” And it starts with the first time you see Jay Garrick. He’s sort of stepping behind a brick wall snapping a picture and then receding. How shady is that? Yet we forget that that was the first breadcrumb. “That’s weird, he’s taking pictures of Barry Allen, and then he’s hanging out at Flash Day?”

TVLINE | All leading up to the fact that he “took a nap” at a very bad time a few weeks ago.
[Laughs] Yeah, exactly! “How come Jay’s never around when Zoom is wreaking havoc?” But I will say this: I did grow very attached to playing Jay. A lot of time passed between that initial phone call and the big reveal, and in that time I had convinced myself that the-flash-season-2-photos (6)the writers had decided to go a different direction, that they were going to have someone else play Zoom. because playing Jay was great, but he didn’t really have a lot to do. If you look back, he mentored Barry in Episode 202, but that was it.

TVLINE | But that kind of fed into my theory that there’s probably a big reveal coming up. They were letting him fly under the radar a bit.
Then you win the prize, man. And I know that there were some people who were kind of pissed — “Thanks for adding a guy in the second season who really doesn’t bring much to the table.” But like you said, there was very much a reason why he was laying low, like a snake in the grass.

TVLINE | How would you describe the backstory we’re getting this week?
It’s mirror image to Barry Allen’s backstory. These two had a similar event happen to them at virtually the same age in their childhood. Barry went one direction, Hunter went the other. I can describe it as parallel events in the lives of these two kids which help form their identity going forward, one using his abilities for good, the other one for… not-so-good, to put it mildly. We’re going to see that play out in this episode: Why is Zoom the way he is, how did he become this guy?

TVLINE | Maybe to that point, why does Zoom want to be so fast? Is it simply a vanity project, to lay claim to that Fastest Man Alive trophy? Or is there something he wants to do with that speed?
We won’t know exactly why after this particular episode, but there is something. It is not purely vanity. There is a very specific reason why he needs this speed. But it’s funny, as we head towards the finale, lots of different things that will come to light. We’ll see that he wants this speed, needs this speed, for a number of different reasons, all personal.

TVLINE | As we explore this the-flash-season-2-photos (4)and bounce around Earth-2 some more, will we get any new clues to the Man in the Iron Mask [being help captive by Zoom]?
Good question…. We’re shooting the finale [now], and if you had asked me this question last week, I would have said that I don’t know that we’ve sprinkled any clues. We do see him throughout [the final episodes], but I didn’t know who he was until the finale. Some of the other actors will tell you, “Oh, no, we sort of knew.” Or, “We had ideas who it was going to be.” If they knew, then they knew a lot more than me, because I didn’t have a clue. But the identity will be revealed and I think it’s going to be very satisfying for the viewers.

TVLINE | Because I have seen some wild theories, from “There are four Jay Garricks” to “There are 12.” One reader laid out a scenario with twins of doppelgangers and doppelgangers of twins….
[Laughs] I know, I know. There’s a part of me that’s like, “Oh awesome, that’s more roles to play!” And another part of me is like, “That sounds exhausting! Can we not do that??” No, this job has been amazing. I’ve been able to wear many hats and that is very satisfying.

Want more scoop on The Flash, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Sammy says:

It’s just lazy writing. He’s Zoom because he looked at Barry shady one time? Get out of here. The first half of Season 2 was a mess!

Jay really being Hunter is just a repeat of Wells being Eobard! RINSE AND REPEAT!

2. JC1 says:

The one thing I need them to explain is – if Jay is Zoom, then who was the person that Zoom killed? Because that wasn’t just a illusion – he actually dropped a body on the floor right there before he took off his mask for the first time. So who was that? Hunter’s Earth-1 double?

• Megan says:

Right?? How could Jay possibly be Zoom when we’ve seen them both together?? Zoom even said something like “This is a complication” or something similar when he dropped Jay’s body off in his lair. Now we’re supposed to believe Zoom and Jay are the same person??? This makes no sense.

• JC1 says:

The only explanation that I can see is that Zoom asked his Earth-1 duplicate to fill in for him when he chased Barry over to Earth-2. And killing him was an accident. But I kind of need them to actually explain that on the show and not ignore it.

• Megan says:

My other thought is that maybe the Jay that was killed was “present day” Jay, and Zoom is really from some version of the future (although not very far in the future obviously since he doesn’t look any older). Zoom’s velocity 9 serum that he took (or whatever) is causing his cells to degrade, so he needs to steal some speed. He decides to just travel back in time a couple years to steal his own speed (or maybe prevent himself from using the serum in the first place?). Upon discovering Earth-1, he decides to steal Barry’s speed. When he accidentally kills Jay (his past self), he becomes a time remnant (like the Eobard Thawne we saw earlier this season) and hence his “Well, this is a complication” statement.

• GalaxySoldier says:

It’s been confirmed that zoom is not jay Garrick, he’s hunter Zolomon and was a convicted serial killer. Your theory has to many holes. just because you travelled back in time and accidentally killed your present self doesn’t make anyone a time remnant. The case for reverse flash was different because he was stuck in this endless cycle of loop. For zoom, he would’ve been automatically erased from existence.

• Michael austin. says:

he dropped a projection of himself on the floor. The guy in the cage is jay zoom is his look alike . think about when they went to earth two where zoom apparently lives right ? barry ran around for a day or two with out zoom showing up. when he finally does when was it ? right after the machine on earth one had been fixed. on earth 1 when kate says I cant find your double he shows her a man named hunter zoloman whom he had projected onto the bench. he has feelings for her which is why he allowed her to know who HE really is with out saying it directly.

3. J says:

I really loved Teddy on The Flash this season even if he didn’t have much of a storyline up until now.

4. Sarah says:

I freely admit this is the most useless comment, but I just need to say that I find this guy unbelievably, ridiculously gorgeous. Awesome twist having him be Zoom even though it broke my heart because I thought Jay was so sweet. I also wondered why they brought him on the show because he really didn’t do much of anything, but I honestly didn’t care because he’s so hot. I should probably judge myself for being so shallow, but…yeah I can’t. Look at that guy.

• Redness says:

No judgment here, he is smoking hot and I think that’s part of the reason why the Zoom reveal broke my heart. My hope is that the real Jay Garrick is out there somewhere and he can be added to the show because I’d hate to lose Teddy from the show.

5. dancmh says:

I always thought Zoom was Jay from the future coming back to search for speed once he got addicted to V-9. But now this Zolomon stuff? *sigh* Jay should have been such a cool character this season….

6. Gerri says:

Teddy looks good in black. Or maybe it is just the haircut.

7. Teddy Sears may wear many hats on Flash, but what about the peignoirs that he wears on Masters of Sex? This guy has amazing range!

8. Joey Padron says:

Great interview with Teddy. He’s been great on the show this season as Jay/Hunter/ and Zoom. Can’t wait to see Zoom’s backstory in new episode tonight!

9. Brittney says:

I thought that the man in the iron mask was another Jay/Hunter. I guess this interview disproves that. Now I’m REALLY curious who’s under the iron mask.

10. Nemanja says:

I think the man in the iron mask is Wally’s doppelganger. As you can see on photos etc. he’s dark skinned, and in the last episode Joe wondered what is Wally’s doppelganger like. That’s my theory.

• John john says:

That is correct wally is the man in the iron mask and will take down zoom once Barry frees him. Why would zoom kidnap earth-1 wally when he could have kidnapped iris who is more important to joe and Barry? This also proves that the man in the iron mask is earth -2 Wally west

11. Priyesh says:

I think that the man in the mask is the real Jay Garrick. Zoom could have altered his own appearance to look like Jay the same way that Eobard Thawne altered his own to look like Harrison Wells in the first season. Wells of Earth 2 seems to know that Jay Garrick is the Flash of Earth 2. So I really believe the man in the mask is the real jay Garrick. Makes sense to me, dont know about you?

12. there are four Jay people

13. Max maclon says:

Its barry allen from earth-1 before disapear un the chapter 20 con season 2 un the machine forma recover his powers

14. James Lockhart says:

Could you please send me hint on who is in the mask?…is it another Jay ?

15. Mark says:

come on guys and gals, the man in the iron mask is another Barry Allen. how you all haven’t figured this out yet is beyond me…..

16. Bianca Hercules says:

I’m pretty mad at the that they made Caitlin fall in love with a serial killer.
    They really need to give her a break….😑