How Could Idol Forget the Fallen? Did DC's Legends Intro Arrow Newbie? Is Late-Night Too Goofy? And More Qs

We’ve got questions, and you’ve (maybe) got answers! With another week of TV gone by, we’re lobbing queries left and right about shows including Once Upon a Time, The Walking Dead, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., and American Idol!

1 | For fans of both The Ranch and That ‘70s Show Seasons 1-7, were you happy to see it was Bret Harrison hired to play Elisha Cuthbert’s beau, and not Josh Meyers, in Episode 2?

2 | On Sleepy Hollow, why was Danny — who joined the Witnesses’ team five minutes ago! — calling the shots during the siege on The Hidden One? And could the scraggly foliage Joe and Jenny “hid” under have looked any more like Charlie Brown’s Christmas tree?

3 | Who at SNL thought “Establishment Shuffle” was worth cutting in place of something as bad as, say, the Winnie the Pooh sketch? And why Why didn’t host Peter Dinklage bring girlsback “Peter Drunklage” on Weekend Update?

4 | Did Girls‘ Elijah not get the memo that the first tip-off your boyfriend is trouble is if he displays his Emmys in his bathroom?

5 | Is being Once Upon a Time‘s Author sort of a thankless (and easy!) job, if the pages are magically writing/illustrating themselves when you’re not looking?

6 | Is anyone ‘shipping Quantico‘s Alex and Drew? [Crickets]

The Walking Dead7 | Did the guys who offered help to The Walking Dead’s Carol and Morgan look like drab Power Rangers?

8 | Are we to assume that Dancing With the Stars has no fact-checkers, given Mischa Barton’s incorrect claim that The O.C. was in its prime in 2008? (The show ended in 2007, a year after Barton left.)

9 | On Castle, if “Great White” had been taking withdrawals from the stash of gold coins every three months, why was the storage box buried behind haunted house-like cobwebs? Also, is Rick now back officially working alongside the 12th full-time?

10 | What does The Voice have against Team Adam teen Caroline Burns, whose Knockout victory was the only one not shown in full?

11.22.6311 | So, 11.22.63‘s biggest twist was that Sadie grows up to be Helena Cassadine?!

12 | With The Flash in repeat mode this Tuesday, was it Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.‘s job to make our brains hurt with “spacetime” theory? (Bless Coulson for speaking for our comprehension-deficient selves!)

13 | Did beloved Papa Mars Enrico Colantoni playing a shady detective on iZombie throw you for a loop? (Or was it all too familiar for his Person of Interest fans?)

14 | Was Fresh Off the Boat‘s reminder that Melrose Place produced 30something episodes per season a bit mind-blowing?

Katie Cassidy Melrose Place15 | On Arrow, did the mention of Russia (finally) perk your ears up during the tedious flashbacks? And now that Katie Cassidy’s time on the show has come to an end, who’d like to see her do something fun like her fantastic turn in the Melrose Place reboot? (Wouldn’t a role on NBC’s Cruel Intentions, if gets picked up to series, be a perfect fit?)

16 | How/when did Empire‘s Lucious manage to record on his phone the exact moment Camilla poisoned Mimi? Does he possess mystical powers or an invisibility cloak? On a related note, did this week’s episode leave you feeling like three or four key scenes had accidentally been left on the editing room floor?

17 | Supernatural fans, was Rowena’sSupernatural resurrection a cheat or a welcome return? Also, is there a Banana Republic in Heaven? Where do the angels get all their (muted) clothes?

18 | Have your ears recovered yet from the deafening cheers that erupted when Grey’s Anatomy revealed that Penny had won the Preminger Grant that would take her out of town?

19 | As impressive as returning Scandal guest star Jon Tenney’s performance was, did Andrew speak about 50 percent better and faster during Mellie’s visit than in any other scene?

20 | How is it possible American Idol couldn’t find 15 seconds in its entire two-hour finale extravaganza to acknowledge the passing of Season 7 finalist Michael Johns and Season 7 semifinalist Joanne Borgella? Also, wouldn’t you have traded five minutes of Jennifer Lopez booty-shaking for another round of insanely good alumni solo performances?

21 | Did Legends of Tomorrow plant the seed for a new Arrow character with the mention that Ray’s brother, Sydney, goes to work for Felicity in 2016?

22 | When The Big Bang Theory played “Never Have I Ever,” why didn’t anyone bring up the fact that Sheldon was technically arrested when he was held in contempt of court in Season 3’s Stan Lee episode?20qs-catch-delete

23 | What would The Catch’s Ali have done if she wasn’t petite enough to quickly hide —with room to spare — in a conveniently empty cupboard?

24 | Do you prefer this era of late-night TV — where guests are asked to, like, juggle coconut custard pies, play “Penis Ping-Pong” or sing Bieber lyrics in Pig Latin — over the olden days where they’d sit on a couch, share fun anecdotes and talk up a project?

Hit the comments with your answers — and any other Qs you care to share!

1. KateFaulkner27 says:

20. In his own way, I’m 90% certain David Cook honored him. Dave wore a scarf during his David Bowie tribute, the same way Michael used to wear one. And when he didn’t have it on during the ending celebration, he ran backstage during it to get it. That’s a class act for you. :)

• KT says:

Agreed! Though I also agree that they could have had way less of JLo. Yeesh.

• Sur says:

Agreed. I fast forwarded through all of JLo’s bit. I wish that time was used for Blake Lewis and Haley Reinhart performances or a Michael Johns retrospective.

• NotHardly says:

I noticed that Bo Bice also paid tribute to him on his twitter feed, whereas Idol couldn’t be bothered. Frankly, I would have been happy had they skipped all of Kara’s “performance” (sarcasm intended) as she was someone who added nothing whatsoever to the show the entire time she was there – and instead had a small mention of someone who actually was a contestant.

• Jess says:

What the heck was up with having Kara preform? Perhaps to show how much better the idols are then some people out there? lol. That was sooooo bad. David Cook is as awesome as ever. The show over all was great – totally agree less JLo (she doesn’t need the publicity – the idols do), no Kara at all and a tribute to Michael Johns would have made the show perfect.

• JM says:

David Cook has always been classy, from not using his brother’s illness to garner votes, to honoring Michael. One of my all-time favs.

• Dgats says:

Carly Smithson’s beautiful rendition of Dolly Partons’s “Here you come again” with the Harp felt like a tribute to Michael. You may recall one of his biggest me me tell was during Dolly Parton week when he sang “It’s all wrong, but it’s all right.” When Michael died the first person that Inthought about was Carly. And when I saw Carly during the finale, the first person I thought about was Michael.

• I wish David Cook would had more then 10 words to sing !on the Bowie tribute. I also think JoLo ‘s number lasted far too long !

• ninergrl6 says:

Good catch about David Cook. Nancy O’Dell said some lovely comments about Michael Johns on during the Idol finale recap on Entertainment Tonight (or whatever show she’s cohosting these days). I could’ve done without ANY judges performing in lieu of more alums. The contestants were always the stars of Idol, which is why I preferred it to other competition shows.

• 2young2bwise says:

I was okay with Keith Urban performing since he included Carrie Underwood. The other two were a waste of our time.

2. Luis says:

21. Yeah, I’m pretty sure they did.
    23. Three episodes in, Mirrelie Enos might be the most adorable badass on TV

• Wordsmith says:

21) Except they also established that Sydney Palmer looks exactly like Ray, so unless Brandon Routh has a twin brother I don’t know about, he’d have to be pulling double duty.

3. jj says:

Maybe someone with a law degree can clarify but I don’t think being held in contempt is the same as being arrested.

• Wordsmith says:

Being held in contempt is maybe more analogous to getting pulled over while driving. You can definitely end up getting arrested, depending on the severity of what you were doing, but you might come away with a warning or a ticket.
      I don’t recall the specifics of Sheldon’s situation.

• dan says:

Being arrested is not the same as being held in contempt of court. An officer/deputy makes arrests while only a Judge can hold somebody in contempt (there may be minor differences from state to state, but this is the general rule). You do not wind up with an arrest on your “permanent record” if you’re held in contempt of court.

4. Jennifer says:

#24 – Johnny Carson is spinning in his grave to see what late night TV has become. I hate it.

• Jeri says:

I agree re Johnny Carson. Especially hate seeing the late late show James shouting over his guests when they do try to speak. He’s not that entertaining.

• cuius says:

The hosts must pray to the Late Night God for Donald Trump’s presidential run – what would they talk about without him?

• Jess says:

the thing is – with the twitter universe there is very little we don’t already know about celebs, so just sitting there talking would be redundant.

5. Daisy says:

On Castle, I feel like I missed an episode (maybe I did) but when did everyone find out that Castle and Beckett were back together?

6. Larc says:

I would have happily traded JLo’s performance for 5 minutes of a blank screen and silence. What a total waste!

7. Sydney is not dead says:

#15 Would love to witness a b*+chfest between Sarah Michelle Gellar’s Katherine & Katie Cassidy’s character!

8. Wordsmith says:

I appreciate that SHIELD took a more strict policy of “time is fixed, so all of the choices you make have already been made and you just need context to learn how they play out the way that they do.” It worked for 12 Monkeys, it even worked for Harry Potter.
    Flash and Legends of Tomorrow tend to stray more towards the Doctor Who school of “time works however we need it to work for the purposes of this week’s story. Also it’s really complicated, so you should just ignore any logical loopholes or inconsistencies.” which is fine, because it’s TV, so it’s ultimately about the characters and the story, not the educational value.
    But it’s nice to see somebody make the extra effort to actually set up some physics that make sense.

9. A. says:

15. I’ve been waiting for Russia and Bratva flashback since it was first mentioned on the show so I’m cautiously excited! I hope they make Oliver go full dark on them because he’s nowhere near close to how he was when first getting back from the island in season 1, and it’s been 4 years already! I hope the EPs know no one will tunr on him if he does go dark on the flashbacks.. we know he’s a better person now!

As for the rest of your question.. just no! I’m excited about CI and don’t need a reason not to watch!

10. Lauren says:

24 – You haven’t been watching enough Seth Meyers!

11. Lauren says:

JLO could have at least had some of this year’s finalists sing with her or something. That was such a waste of time.

• ninergrl6 says:

I feel bad for this year’s finalists. They get a shortened season, no summer tour, and barely any screen time during the finale. I LOVED all of the alums coming back, but I think they could have integrated the current contestants into more of those numbers.

• Eric S says:

You are definitely right. This yr’s finalists got screwed over in so many ways. 3 things you mentioned that drove me up the wall the whole time. The two finalists didn’t have their own solo if my memory is correct. The other finalists barely had screen time. The two male judges performances were fine to me. JLo was so over the top. She tries so darn hard to say to the world that she’s not middle age. We get it JLo. You keep yourself in great shape. She got 2 songs, while the guys got their one that they shared with another person. I think if the show comes back, it might be wise not to have any expensive judges on the panel.

12. Flashrow says:

More important Legends’ question is when Ray had time for hooking up with another girl than Felicity lol

• Wordsmith says:

Come on – a billionaire that looks like Brandon Routh? I can’t imagine he’s starved for company.
      Though, now that I think about it, wasn’t he pretending to be dead, following his surprise return from building explosion/accidental miniaturization/capture by HIVE? Maybe he moved to the suburbs and created an alter ego like Oliver and Felicity?

13. Steven says:

I forgot Michael Johns had passed. I loved him.

14. John says:

would like to see Katie Cassidy join nbc’s Grimm, she was awesome on Supernatural and Arrow.

• Wordsmith says:

She’d also be an awesome new angelic/demonic player on Lucifer, if they’re looking to expand their lineup for season two. Somebody with the wicked charisma that Laurel never quite found.
      Or, if the CW wants to keep her in the family, imagine if she turns out to be that mysterious eighth Nightblood/Lexa’s former flame that Clarke is seeking. That would be pretty cool.

• John says:

Ohhh would totally love to see her on lucifer too!! They just got renewed so that would be cool. Haven’t had the time to watch the 100 but if she joined, will definitely watch

15. tallsy says:

6. Priyanka Chopra may have the biggest gap in star power and acting ability since Streisand.
    16. For Empire’s final scenes, I actually thought there might have been a problem with the network feed, that’s how confused I was.
    20. The taped JLo performance was a waste.

• KLS says:

I agree regarding Chopra. I was curious at the beginning, but I couldn’t get me through the first episode.

• mooshki says:

Wow, I feel the opposite about Priyanka Chopra. I’m surprised people don’t find her compelling. I quit the show because the writing was a hot mess; I liked most of the cast quite a bit.

• dan says:

Priyanka Chopra’s acting is top notch compared to the rest of the cast! The guy who plays Caleb is terrible and most of them are mediocre at best. Even Marcia Cross can’t sell the crap the writers are giving her! However, the hairstylists deserve Emmys for making sure they all have perfect hair no matter what tragedy is happening.

• JM says:

Um, Streisand was a pretty good actor, IMO.

16. Tim says:

Empire is horrible for allowing supporting characters to grow and shine.

17. Erik says:

#22: Being held in contempt of court is not technically an arrest. It is a punishment for failure to comply with a judicial order.

18. Meg says:

I thought the same thing about Sydney Palmer. Is he the twin brother of Ray? Will Felicity hire him? When will it become Smoak Technologies? Does Syndney and Felicity become a thing or does Palmer tech split off from Smoak Tech? So many questions.

19. Jane says:

17 – Hate Rowena being back. Maybe if the character had been portrayed more dark and evil she might have been good. But she has been portrayed as such a cartoon character that I can’t stand her. Her being back ruined the episode.

24 – I am not a fan of the run all over teh place playing silly games late night shows. If I am watch one of these shows I want to hear what the person has to say.

20. bob says:

9. i think for castle its is full time though not only from the recent episode but with spoilers yes cause it looks like he dosent have to force his way back into the cases since there back

21. Eric S says:

8. Not surprised that Barton messed up the yrs. She’s a delusional one. Still recall that many fans were glad that she was gone from that show. Her well deserved rep was on full display on DWTS.
    20. Johns definitely should have been mentioned. One of my favorites of all time on the show. I did laugh that JLO got so much more performing time than the other 2 judges. I gather that the first song was taped and then the rest live. She truly is a person in love with her butt. I would have voted for more performances by the alumni. Show should have been 3 hours. Why in the world was Kara given her own performance?! She just deserved a short taped piece a la Nicki. I don’t think anyone on the planet was clamoring for Kara to perform.
    22. Not sure if I would count that.
    24. I’ve started watching some of James Corden’s comedy bits. They are good and fun. Jimmy Fallon is a horrible interviewer, so I do get why he does all his games. People should remember that even Carson had his own comedy bits as well. But yes Fallon for one should learn how to interview. It did take Conan a yr or two to get comfortable in that area. So there is hope.

• Emma says:

20. Agree! They could have cut both Kara and JHo and let the current season’s contestants perform instead. The current (supposedly last ever, hah) season’s contestants really got the shaft last night!

• gemapet says:

Not just this season’s contestants, but the two finalists!!!! They had a short opening and maybe danced around on a song or two but where was their final performance, or duet with celebrity?
        Felt the same about Sonika not getting to sing once on the episode she was booted.

• cc says:

If Jimmy Fallon stopped doing his silly bits he would have absolutely nothing. He is a terrible interviewer and he is barely funny.

22. Tom says:

~
    It’s fun sure, but I’m sorry, I miss Top Ten Lists. I started watching Letterman 22 years ago when I was 13, and I loved the lists. I miss them, wish he would have let them pass on to Colbert.

• Kim R says:

I miss Dave. I like Stephen Colbert but I do fine that he does better interviewing political figures or authors than he does celebrities. He is a bit clunky and awkward. The Melissa and Ben interview this week with the Chopped segment was so bad.

• JM says:

I agree 100% with your assessment that Colbert does better interviews with political figures and authors. He’s just not a ‘Hollywood’ kind of guy.

23. Hymey says:

7. My first thought was LARPers

24. Jackie says:

20. Yes! Yes! Yes! JLo was way overdone, and unnecessary/unwelcomed, IMO. More AI originals, please. Loved Bo Bice’s new look. Overall, I enjoyed the show. RIP Michael Johns.

25. Steve F. says:

12a. Who thought that Lincoln should’ve gotten a Leroy Jethro Gibbs-style smack to the head when he admitted he’d NEVER seen the original Terminator? (Really, who hasn’t seen it? Well, maybe Steve Rogers…)

15a. Forgot that Katie Cassidy was in the Melrose reboot – DAAAAAMN, that’s a great pic. Hope she gets cast in a fun project soon.

20a. Yes to the above – and how nice would it be to get “where are they now?” retrospectives on past Idol contestants every so often… if it would lead to awesome performances like last night’s. Also, who here had the feeling that Ryan Seacrest’s “For now” made the finale feel like a cliffhanger?

24a. I don’t mind it too much – we get to see A & B-listers let their hair down, and it also makes those guests who aren’t that good at interviews the chance to loosen up.

26. Amanda says:

#3. Peter Drunklage was the only reason I was watching! Made no sense.

27. Emma says:

20) because they have far more interest in letting JHo pimp her cr-p “music”, that’s why. If (when) they reboot idol, if she’s involved in any way shape or form, they will be dead to me… for good this time!

28. Kate says:

2. I noticed the order giving, but I attributed it to that is basically his job in real life, but it balanced out with being kinder to Pandora which those back on Earth would have reason not to, but it’ll be interesting this week because Abbie and Ichabod are the boss and you have to factor that they stumbled upon a supernatural father in Ezra who probably knows a thing or two.

5. I feel like there are any number of plots that got written in some sort of mushroom induced state. I was just talking earlier about how other than the Dark One story, have they forgotten everything about season 5A?

7. That might have been what I was thinking about, or that when lacrosse disappeared on Teen Wolf for a time, maybe that’s where the equipment went.

12. Yes, my brain starts to hurt, but they did help provide an easy answer as to why Sara won’t strong arm her team to go back in time to save Laurel or can’t because she could easily get Snart, Mick and even Jax on her side and then Ray knows Laurel, so he’d be moved just saving her. As much as Rip and Stein might argue against it, they’d be outmatched.

13. Well, I had the POI experience to get me away from just Papa Mars, but Elias was sort of bent, Detective Palmetto isn’t really crazy or twisted, and, its entirely possible he is just what Clive will be like in about twenty years.

15. Yes, it would be nice for her to be able to play a fun role (but keep in mind she can play the voice of reason in a very calm and not patronizing way, so she should be a good guy), but she is part of the Arrowverse more than other characters that have left. She already will be in a flashback of Arrow next week, she’s going to be in flashbacks(?) of Legends when Vandal tries to turn the let’s kill baby Hitler thing on the team, and they are going to introduce her Earth 2 doppleganger on the penultimate episode of the Flash (and as tv shows tend to go, new characters are introduced around then to be seeds for the next season but not to interfere with the season finale stories, which is why Suits fans should be worried that Patrick Adams could be an important character on Legends, plus I think a bridge between Earth 1 and Earth 2 might be opened.

29. Mia says:

11. Im sure Helena was like…oh this must be what a better written show feels likr compared the junk that is now gh

24. I def think late night has adapted better to the culture of today

30. Tracey Hunt says:

“Supernatural fans, was Rowena’s Supernatural resurrection a cheat or a welcome return?”

BOTH. Love me some Rowena.

31. Mike says:

“On Arrow, did the mention of Russia (finally) perk your ears up during the tedious flashbacks?”

It didn’t do anything to my ears, but it did make my eyes roll so hard I think I’m still partially blind.

32. MagicMike says:

I thought not only was it despicable to not even take a moment of silence to remember Michael Johns but highly unprofessional and self absorbed on Idol’s and Exec. Producer’s Nigel Lythgoe’s part. Additionally they showed more of singers who came in 7th than they did on some male winners. I would have much rather have not had to sit through Jennifer Lopez’ ego driven ho dance nor Kara DiGuardio’s pitchy dawg performance, not to mention who cares about William Hung, for another few minutes of any of the white guys with guitars. This is American Idol. I’m glad it’s over and I hope it doesn’t come back. Simon Fuller needs to take his old fashioned British ego back to England.

33. John036 says:

Katie Cassidy really needs to get off of the CW, in my opinion. She’s been on the network since Supernatural, and her characters are always either killed off or the show gets cancelled (except her role in Gossip Girl, because her role was only supposed to be in it for the arc). I do agree though, if she played a bitchy character that went to head to head against Katherine, that would great.

34. Rob says:

19. I was not impressed by his performance, in fact I found it deeply offensive.

35. GeoDiva says:

16. Empire is becoming a huge mess. Glad I wasn’t the only one who thought we missed a few steps in getting from A to Z.

36. John NYC says:

When The Big Bang Theory played “Never Have I Ever,” why didn’t anyone bring up the fact that Sheldon was technically arrested when he was held in contempt of court in Season 3’s Stan Lee episode?”

Contempt detention doesn’t count as an arrest and no “criminal” record is generated?

37. mooshki says:

There are fans of The Ranch?

38. kirads09 says:

11) Re 11.22.63 No the big twist was that although he saved Kennedy by changing
    the past he caused unforeseen consequences. There apparently was some sort of catastrophic
    event(s) after Kennedy was out of office. Then he went back to reset, but had to let of knowing Sadie. Franco gave a TREMENDOUS performance throughout and deserves major kudos. Now I want to read the book (I know there are differences).

16) Regarding Empire and Lucious – only thing I can figure is after the Camilla reappeared papa Lyon has had her under some sort of surveillance. Maybe Rhonda overheard something? Maybe Lucious just figured out Camilla’s murderous intent – because he would do the same thing? Who knows.

39. Jeri says:

Late night TV – I hate all the stupid sklts/games. I’d rather see them talking anytime.

40. John Davis says:

I’m shipping Quantico’s Caleb and the new nerd guy. I know, Caleb is probably straight, but…

41. ldylkngb says:

The Preminger grant is out of town? Hurray!! Never ever have I been so bored with a character on Greys!

42. ann says:

I might still be watching American Idol if Jennifer Lopez wasn’t on it. Really don’t get the love for her.

43. Mike says:

#22 – Sheldon and Leonard were briefly arrested at Skywalker Ranch.

44. Matt C. says:

Katie Cassidy needs to get far away from The CW. All of her roles on that network have ended badly. First, she got recast on Supernatural. Then, Melrose Place got cancelled after one season. Then, she had an awesome arc on Gossip Girl, only to disappear after 11 episodes. And now, she gets killed off of Arrow! She definitely needs a fresh start on a different channel.

45. Lily says:

24. Absolutely not. Dumbed down television!

46. jerrired says:

13. Yeah I watched Just Shoot Me but it took me a moment to accept him as not Keith Mars on iZombie and adapt to the shady character.

15. That’s what I know her from! I am definitely in the minority but I actually really liked that reboot and all the characters.Now that she’s free from Arrow, she should definitely take on more interesting characters like that.

47. JM says:

5) Sigh. It seems like the whole show is written that way. Certainly no one is putting any serious effort into it, given the poor writing lately.
    16) I loved when the brothers sang to Andre–that was a beautiful moment. Other than that, yes, the show seemed to be on speed. So Camilla takes over and that lasts for only two shows? What a let-down.
    24) They’re trying to emulate Graham Norton, but no one can best Norton. His shows are by far the most entertaining and yet, still informative.

48. AJ says:

17. Why can’t they find a way to bring Charlie back? In “LARP and the Real Girl”, she was told that the Fairies of the Hollow Forest were in her debt! Cmon, writers, make it happen!

49. KLP says:

Personally, I would have traded JLo’s time hogging rear for another couple commercials. Never mind the alumni we barely saw.

50. jj says:

24. it seems that in the age of social media and the internet talk shows are struggling to find a voice. It is definitely a different age when you now have real time access to celebs and what is going on in their life. While there are some ‘viral video’ type segments that I love (e.g. james cordon’s kareoke carpool) a lot of them feel very forced