Exclusive

Gilmore Girls Revival: Melissa McCarthy Sets Return as Sookie!

The Stars (Hollow) have aligned.

After months of will-she or won’t-she speculation, Melissa McCarthy has agreed to reprise her role as Sookie in Netflix’s forthcoming Gilmore Girls revival, I’ve learned exclusively.

McCarthy is set to make the news official on Friday’s Ellen (scroll down to watch clip). “I’m going to go back and do it,” she enthusiastically told DeGeneres. “[Series creator] Amy Sherman-Palladino is going to squeeze me in to do it. I’m very happy to go back to Stars Hollow.”

Back in February, Sherman-Palladino cited McCarthy’s “f—ing busy” schedule as the reason the actress wasn’t written into the four-part continuation, adding, “But the thing I have said [to her team] is, ‘Look, if Melissa is available and has an afternoon free, I’ll write her a scene. Melissa was one of us. If she has a spare moment to run over [to the set] — even if for just a cameo — we would be totally game. And if it’s a last-minute thing, I would write her in and we would figure it out. That’s the way we left it.”

McCarthy quickly took to Twitter to say she never received said invite. “Sadly no one asked me or Sookie to come back to Stars Hollow. Wish them all the best!!”

Sherman-Palladino re-extended the invite this week in an interview with Entertainment Weekly. “We’ve just put it out into the universe; we’re here until May 10,” she told the mag. “I know what the scene is. I’ll pre-light it for her. She can drive up, run in, shoot it, and run out. I can get her in and out in two hours.”

According to sources, McCarthy will tape her appearance in the coming days.

Watch the Ellen clip below and then start celebrating in the comments!

1. Ben says:

I always believed they would find a way. I do sort of wish, though, that they’d managed to not even let our Michael get the scoop. It would have been amazing to find out only when the scene happened.

• Tony says:

I think for the sake of how nasty some of the discussion was getting, I think it was best to just get it out there and put the speculation to rest

• Ben says:

Yeah, well, it never fails to amaze how people with about 5% of the facts think they know the precise motives behind everyone involved and their ‘real’ agenda.

• big cheddar says:

To your point, Melissa does have a movie coming out tomorrow so it’s great press for her to do this. Not to be cynical, but the movie isn’t getting the best reviews and a move like this could really rally her fanbase.

• Allee says:

Yes, and her being in a Netflix movie that will come out months or a year from now is exactly the thing that is going to save her major studio movie — because the tiny percentage of people who believed that she was refusing to do Seasons for evil reasons was going to make all the attendance difference. Her movies do well at the box office even with bad reviews (Tammy got spectacularly bad reviews and, indeed, was a really bad movie, and it did fine for a comedy, meaning for its budget). That’s why they keep making them.

• canadian ninja says:

Who’s saying it’s going to make “all” or even a big difference – but it’s clearly going to generate positive buzz for McCarthy and on the same weekend her movie opens. Let’s call it a win-win.

• Ben says:

Also, now I’m just waiting on one scoop… the return of Ausiello himself to Star’s Hollow.

2. abz says:

Finally! This back and forth nonsense in the media was ridiculous.

3. Lisa says:

Woahhhh!!!! Didnt think it would happen

4. rebecca says:

YASSSS!!!!

5. Sam says:

Yay!!!!!! This news is the best, no more smad!

6. Chris says:

About f’ing time.

7. Jill says:

What I don’t understand is why Amy was going through “people”? I would think that even if Amy did have Melissa’s personal info anymore, some one in the cast would have. Even in the EW story, Amy said they are rep’d by the same agency & they told her Melissa’s sched was booked. Could have stopped all this by just going to Melissa to begin with. This has been so “Hollywood”

• Wordsmith says:

That’s more about the nature of Hollywood agents, who are legally entitled to sue if somebody circumvents them to set up a job with a client, potentially depriving them of their percentage. The system is ruthless and full of rules.
      A lot of the time, having a shark fighting on your side is great for a busy actor, but sometimes it can just end up biting you in the a**

• S. says:

I don’t think there’s anything illegal about reaching out to someone in a general sense and saying ‘we’re doing this! You in??’ but not making it legally binding and letting the agent negotiate the details. They still get 10% or whatever. Friends informally offer friends work all the time without contacting the agent first. It’s just not made official til they go through channels on the already probably gonna happen thing. Maybe just discuss it with Melissa, then send the stuff to her agent and Melissa can go ‘I really wanna do this, Amy’s sending out offers, set it up when mine comes in.’ Her people thought she was above it. Didn’t bother to ask her. Probably didn’t think it would help them financially.

• Abe Froman says:

That’s ridiculous. Hollywood folks talk shop with each other all the time. Then they go through their people to make the deal official.

8. Mark says:

Ehhhh.

9. Et al. says:

Yay!

10. Andrew Hass says:

I had a feeling that Melissa McCarthy would eventually sign up for the Gilmore Girls revival.However i’m wondering if she won’t be in every one of the 4 movies.

• Josh says:

My guess is she’ll either be in one episode or in one scene an episode(basically a day or two filming), having a phone conversation with Lorelei. She might appear in person on the last episode but yeah, I see her role being very minor. I’m hoping for the one scene an episode!

11. Jimmy says:

All is right with the world again.

12. Shru says:

This makes me so happy! And makes me more impatient for the revival!

13. c-mo says:

While I’m happy to have all of the main characters back, I just hope she’s Sookie and not one of her over-the-top characters she has been playing since GG.

• James says:

Why would she be anybody else but Sookie? There’d be no reason for her to be a completely different character.

• Miranda says:

Max Greenfield’s cameo role in the Veronica Mars movie was more like his New Girl character than fully his Veronica Mars tv character. Peoples acting capabilities change with age, and sometimes it is hard to go back to a character they were.

14. hbeachman says:

@Michael–After you fainted at the news how long until you regained consciousness?

15. Liz says:

Awesome! I’m so happy!

16. jj says:

this made my night!!

17. Dennis says:

Omg yes yes yes!!!

18. Falcon says:

My night is MADE :)

19. Nick RNZ says:

This is great news. Wouldn’t have been complete without Sookie.

I’m glad they sorted this out…!

20. forg says:

Yes! Yes! Yes! :D

21. JosiahBartlet4President says:

Hallelujah!

22. Sheila says:

WHOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

23. Louis perez says:

Why did she say “near and dear to my heart for four years”? The show was on for seven seasons. Hmmm. Don’t get me wrong I’m so freaking happy she is doing it. Just curious.

• Et al. says:

Yes she did. I’m 75% sure she also says she’s excited to go back to ‘Sarah’s Hollow’. This confirms my long standing suspicioun that she’s been replaced by an alien imposter.

• comedyfan says:

She had just said “four episodes” and I’m assuming she just accidentally said “four” again. Remember, this news was brand brand new.

(Either that, or she really had a terrible time on 3 of the 7 seasons of GG. :P)

24. Natalie says:

Awesome news!

25. Dani says:

This is great news! Stars Hollow just wouldn’t be the same without Sookie St. James. Her character could get a little annoying at times, but a Gilmore Girls revival without her would just be weird. So glad they worked it all out.

26. Jennifer says:

I love this. So happy. But is anyone else thinking that the timing of this is very coincidental, given her new (not so great looking) movie comes out tomorrow?

27. Nicole says:

I read somewhere that Jason Stiles is also going to be coming back.. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

28. I am a big fan of the show, since watching it on Netflix, and so happy to hear that “all is good in Stars Hollow”!! :)

29. JJ says:

I never was fan of Sookie’s and I do think she’s doing this more to avoid bad press.

30. Liz says:

F I N A L L Y !!!!!!

31. Sam says:

She’s good at damage control.
    Can’t wait to see her back in a real characterized role.

Her latest movie looks awful btw.

32. lqza says:

If Luke and Lorelai do not get together, then I cannot really see the point in watching.

33. Ana says:

Wonderful news! It wouldn’t have been Gilmore Girls without Sookie

34. Diane says:

Yahoooooooooo!!! I knew it!! Would not be Stars Hallow without her!

35. And now it’s gonna be all about her… great.

• cosmicgirl says:

MTE.

• Lindsey says:

This is exactly what I was worried about as well. I’ve said it several times before, and I’ll say it again: I don’t know why everyone thought Sookie was the essential one. After Lorelai, Rory, Emily, and maybe Luke, anyone else is a nice surprise. (And honestly, it’s nice to see everyone back but also feels a lot like fan service.) She obviously won’t be in it much, but I do feel like she’s already gotten a lot of the spotlight, and I don’t really get it. I loved Sookie, but I don’t see her as being more important than the others, as many are making her out to be. Melissa McCarthy may be the most famous one (for reasons I’m not entirely sure, as her films all look ridiculously stupid), but Sookie is no more important than Lane or anyone.

• Tee says:

Not “the” essential one, but definitely in the immediate circle around the Gilmore girls and more important than many on board sooner even if I’m happy to see them – members of Lane’s band, Miss Patty, all of Rory’s exes, etc.
        One of the things I like about this show is how much they highlight the friendships of the main characters as well. Sookie was Lorelei’s closest friend besides Rory and we saw extensively into her life as part of that (just as we saw into Lane’s), saw all the times Lorelei vented and commiserated and sought out advice from Sookie, talked to her about the things she couldn’t talk to Rory about. Sookie seemed very tied to her life in Star’s Hollow during the show, resistant when Lorelei entertained that offer to buy out the inn and talked about traveling, so it seemed odd to think of her not a part of that unless the show is elsewhere.

36. TAB says:

This is GREAT news! I’m so happy they were able to work it out. Even if it’s just a small scene, it will be awesome to see!

37. Martha Beagle says:

Just made my day One of my all time favorite shows!

38. bshaid says:

I disliked BRIDESMAIDS so much I did not even finish it, took it out and later got rid of it. MM is on the verge of suffering from overexposure. I really don’t think she has that much talent. She needs to stretch, do some drama or something.

39. Ruby hibbs says:

Im so happy you are going to be in the Gilmore girls i loved that show and watched it untill it ended it upset me i just loved that show .And i love everything that McCarthy is in i try to see all her movies she makes me laugh but the gilmore girls was one of my favorite shows i was really upset when it ended thank you for digging it out i love it

40. Poor Lauren Graham.

41. I am so glad Melissa will bring Sookie back to Stars Hollow. I can’t wait to see it. Thank You Melissa Mccarthy

42. Tiffani Hagler says:

Yessssssssss!!!!!!

43. Mariah says:

Love THIS show, wish Luke and Lorelei would end up together.

44. Emily says:

Well good. I was probably going to quit watching her movies if she didn’t make time for the GG revival.