Post Mortems
Arrow Laurel Dies Faked Death Rumor

Arrow EPs Shoot Down 'Faked Death' Theory, Tease Diggle's Guilt and Sara's Reaction — Plus: A New Canary?

The instant that The CW’s Arrow on Wednesday night bid adieu to Laurel Lance aka Black Canary, TVLine hooked you up with an exclusive 1-on-1 Q&A with showrunner Marc Guggenheim, as well as original cast member Katie Cassidy’s own thoughts on her alter ego’s death.

But you still have questions. And/or theories —including the notion that Laurel didn’t actually die!

In the slideshow below (click here for direct access), TVLine serves up answers to the most pressing questions, including who will feel the most blame for Laurel’s death at the hands of Damien Darhk, how and where time traveler Sara Lance will mourn her sister, and whether there might be another costumed Canary in Team Arrow’s future. (Arrow resumes Season 4 on April 29, with Episode 19, “Canary Cry”).

1. Roger says:

As long as they don’t go down that route that THR speculated, it should be okay. Making Felicity into a new Black Canary would be god awful to everyone involved.

Simple fix, just replace Laurel with Dinah Lance from Earth-2. Then you have your comic book portrayal of Black Canary.

• ? says:

This would be perfect. But if Katie is really done for good, I think Sara should take her mantle back. She was also more Black Canary-like than the Laurel this show wrote.

• Mixx says:

Sara was never the Black Canary. She was the Canary. There’s a difference.

• Colby Miller says:

plus, the point isn’t who’s more skilled. We’ll never see how skilled laurel would get because they killed her off. She may not have been as skilled as sara who trained for years in martial arts, but so far, she’s been trained by wildcat, nissa, sara, and finally oliver and has proven to be very close to all of them in skill. If they had kept her around like they should have done then we could have seen her reach her comic book peak of being equal to oliver in skill.

• GUSTAVO ALCALA says:

MADISON MCLAUGHLIN PLAYS REBECCA MERLIN MALCOLM MERLINS LONG LOST DAUGHTER AND THEAS SISTER AND NEW BLACK CANARY IN CANARY CRY EPISODE!!!!!!!!

• Josh says:

Marc Guggenheim said he won’t put Felicity in a Mask. She’s a hero without a Mask. As a Felicity Fan I think it would be terrible to make her New Black Canary

• pem says:

Totally agree No mask for Felicity, ever.

• I agree that making Felicity the Canary would be a terrible idea. Felicity belongs behind the computer screen. There has to be a Black Canary though. She was one of my favorite superheroes long before this show ever started.

• Brad says:

Besides wanting a little Smallville mix up, I remember a curtain other computer wiz with an elaborate big brother setup, (cough chloe cough) that would be pretty cool to visit… Course it’s been a few years and though still beautiful, may not fit the time line.

• Colby Miller says:

i disagree. If Guggenheim treats this as if it’s a role just anyone can fill, then he will just make everything even worse. Personally, if I was his boss I would fire him for making such a dumb move and insulting the fanbase by referring to all laurel fans as a “vocal minority.” I personally think that Guggenheim needs to get off his high horse and realize that he’s wrong instead of trying to justify himself. If he wants to write his own story then he should make up his own characters not warp classic characters we all love to go against who they are and conform to his will.

• Jurry says:

Or Sarah can get another Laurel from a different time; like Zoom got another doppelganger to fake his death.

• GUSTAVO ALCALA says:

MADISON MCLAUGHLIN PLAYS REBECCA MERLIN IN EPISODE CANARY CRY!!!! REBECCA MERLIN IS MALCOLM MERLINS LONG LOST DAUGHTER AND THEAS SISTER AND ALSO NEW BLACK CANARY !!!!!!!!

2. Rob says:

I just had this gut feeling last night whilst watching that this was all so they could make Felicity the Black Canary. I happen to like Felicity and I like her with Oliver…this isn’t about shipping as I’m not a teen girl. I just think they’ve been so desperate to get Green Arrow with the Black Canary and they’d do just about anything not to piss off those Olicity shippers that making Felicity Black Canary is their only way to achieve that. I don’t like it, but I believe it will happen.

• Roger says:

Man, in total agreement. You should read that THR article I referenced. I’m a fan of Felicity, Laurel, Emily and Katie, and doing just what they propose is enough to cancel the show.

• pem says:

They are not going to make Felicity BC at all, ever. I dont know if you were spoiled by the funeral pics, or not. There was a pic of Nyssa with a young girl. Pretty sure MG was talking about that girl. I think that she’s a character that we might have seen in S3 in Nanda Parbat. She was in a group that was fighting/training w/somebody–Ras maybe–cant remember, but all we saw were her eyes. I doubt it’s the same actress, but it just seemed weird to me at the time, the way they sort of made a point of “her”. I think it’s that character.

3. A. says:

Arrow needed a death to stick after bringing Sara back so many times along with Ray and Andy too. That said, Laurel’s death was not only necessary but overdue. Her character had zero relevance to the plot and she lifts right out while providing someone from the main cast to exit the show and shake things up a bit. Everything she ever did on the show could have been done by someone else or was done better by someone else… she never fit in and it showed. Sara was a better BC and her lack of acting ability and chemistry made her lose screen time and leading lady status. The fact she’s disliked not only as LL but as KC along with her unprofessionalism just made it easier. The toxic fans she encourages and her own lack of positive behavior will not be missed. Also hope this BC mantle talk is only that, talk. We had two BCs, we don’t need another.. also the only one who was worthy of being honored was Sara.. LL was a flop. That said, can’t wait to see where Team Arrow goes next now they’re finally rid of the dead weight.

• lalamood says:

When has KC been unprofessional?

• Tony says:

She hasn’t been. “A.” is just another Olicity shipper spewing poorly disguised BS.

• A. says:

Since you asked nicely, some examples: giving interviews dismissing her co-workers characters as “comic relief”, liking tweets which say she deserved better than Arrow and tweets that ask for the show to be cancelled since her character died. Then there are the behind the scenes drama which got her fired and the shadeful post she made after Sara got killed last year so she could become BC.

Also, you accusing me of being “an Olicity fan” like it’s something to be ashamed of, well thank you. I am one and proud of it. I didn’t like the LL character from the pilot, so yeah, I’m glad she’s gone and no amount of hate you send my way will bother me because at the end of the day my favorite show is still getting better and better and LL’s still dead.

PS: I don’t sprout BS, I say what anyone who does a bit of searching will find online, but I’m not here to fight or convince anyone. So peace out and good day!

• Mike says:

I’m reading her likes now. They’re all about people wishing her well. The hate speak is unnecessary.

• ndixit says:

It’s what happens when people try to shape their own imaginative narrative. They twist the truth to suit their own imagination.

• A. says:

There was no hate in my comment, but I do not care for the actress or the character she portrayed. It’s my opinion, you disliking it doesn’t make it “hate speech”. Also, if you consider her liking an anti tag for the show and tweets that say she deserved better than the show a professional attitude, I won’t argue with you. It’s your opinion and I respect it. Have a nice evening, you appear to be needing it cause if I’m not mistaken, you’re the same person that went on a rant on another one of my comments saying how the show is garbage and implying I’m a part of the “dumb tumblerites” whatever that means. Consider taking a walk outside.. fresh air does wonders for the soul. Farewell.

• Joe says:

Hate speech is a real thing that has real consequences. When you throw around terms like that without having even the slightest notion what they mean you’re disrespecting all the people who have experienced it and the consequences of it. It’s ignorant, childish, and hurtful. Please don’t do it again.

• Glenda says:

That’s because you get your information from the absurd “felicity is all things” mindthink, yet are unable to honestly understand obsessive “fans” preach hate against whomever they believe threatens “their favorite”.
          It is a tragic reason social media being the impetus for excusing a total failure of creative-writing gets what? loyal audiences that support your sponsors and raise ratings? NO! This “shipping” turned Felicity into a joke of a character..an historic abuse of what DC/Marvel characters represent.
          Guggenheim evidently works harder explaining rather than improving a story.

• A. says:

That’s your opinion and I respect it though I don’t agree. I believe the show is doing just fine, according to all data sources the ratings have gone up season-to-season and I believe Felicity is an inspiring and strong character even if I don’t know what she has to do with the topic. Also, the writing keeps improving imo and DC has supported all decisons the writers made, including Geoff Johns, who liked Stephen Amell’s tweeted reaction to reading the 4×18 script.

But yes, the hate on social media is out of hand. Since wednesday people have been sending the writers, EPs and actors death threats and vile words because they didn’t like what happened to a fictional character. It’s plenty sad people can’t express their sadness and anger without turning into despicable human beings. But the internet does make people behave awfully.

Anyhow, I hope you have a nice evening!

• KatsMom says:

@A — According to all data sources ratings have gone up? Not according to the data sources I saw. Wikipedia shows a dramatic decrease in total viewers this season. Last season, Arrow averaged 3.52 million viewers. This season, thus far, they’re averaging almost full million less viewers, 2.59 million. The demo, per data at tvseriesfinale.com is averaging 0.98 this season so far, and if the massive drop-off in ratings that they’ve had the last few weeks continues through the end of the season, that average is going to drop off quite a bit more. Last season’s demo averaged 1.01, so perhaps comparable, but there’s certainly been no increase. Point is, contrary to your assertion, ratings have not gone up season-to-season. Stop being a homer and making up facts, especially when we’ve yet to see what the ratings will look like now that Guggenheim has completely alienated many of the comic fans who have supported this show.

• PJ lee says:

Are you gullible or do you just take her comments out of context on purpose? That comment about EBR being comic relief was a compliment. She said that EBR really brings the comedy and shes great at comic relief. Which isn’t a dismiss at all. That’s talking about her ability to bring comedy to a terse situation. So not only are you uninformed but you’re also purposely trying to mislead people. Also I went through her twitter account and she only liked comments that supported her. This is you trying to be misleading and disingenuous. That’s pretty disgusting. As far as behind the scenes drama where are your sources?

And you do strike me as a crazy olicity shipper. You even admit to being an Olicity shipper so yeah. You come across as someone who cant tell the difference between reality and fictional TV. But as far as your show is getting better? Right now it’s one of the worst reviewed shows on TV. And the internet is pretty much exploding with people threatening to leave the show.

You spout nothing but nonsense and ignorance.

• Diogo says:

That was a pretty badass comment. Love it

• Diogo says:

I think people are mostly mad cos black canary is suppose to be a main character in arrow, she shouldn’t be pulled just like that. But one thing i know is she may either come back or someone else will take up her mantle.

• Krystal says:

Yes, disparaging the actress just because you can’t differentiate reality from a tv show is extremely immature and dangerous. You don’t like this character Laurel. Fine. But, why try and mess up Katie Cassidy’s career by spreading rumors you made up?

“Shadeful”? That is you inferring negative things from what she’s said or done, rather than her actually saying or doing negative things.

You are petty and immature, and people like you make me hate what the Internet has turned America into. There was a time when people heeded the saying “If you don’t have anything nice to say, then don’t say anything at all.” Now, the Internet is filled with nothing but people like you who do little research and just speak recklessly without regard to how it hurts people’s actual livelihood/personal life.

• Ashley says:

The people who are defaming Katie should actually curse the writer for the horrible characterisation of Laurel. She was never portrayed the way she should have. From the start her character was week & by the fact that Katie is a great actress as we have seen her in supernatural it’s not wrong to blame the terrible writers for this.

• PJ lee says:

good question

• ndixit says:

Wow! Talk about super BS. When has KC ever been unprofessional? She has been super professional and committed to a role while constantly being hated on by crazy nutter fans online and while being given zero importance on the show. Don’t make up stuff to suit your imaginative narrative.

• K says:

at a convention, i was next in line for getting an autograph with KC and she was talking to someone next to her the whole time. i put the paper on the table and she just kept talking. she then grabbed the paper without acknowledging me and autographed it. she said thanks! and that’s it.

• ndixit says:

Not sure what your point is. That hardly sounds like rude behavior. It sounds like a very common occurrence when stars are signing multiple autographs.

• LT says:

Ummm, you were there for her autograph, you got it and your still upset? At those big conventions with thousands of people, do you think the talent is supposed to talk to everyone for 10 minutes and get their life story??? Give me a break whiner!

• A. says:

Whether they want to admit it or not, conventions are jobs too. Actors choose to go to cons so they can get paid money. You spent your time and money on her autograph, the least she could do was look at you.I’m sorry about your experience, I know people that had similar ones.

• Colby Miller says:

Dude, that’s just one of those things that don’t matter. Who cares whether or not she looked at you or talked to you when giving the autograph. for all you know she could have been talking about something important. And even if she wasn’t, who cares. You shouldn’t use one instant with a person you barely know personally to instantly determine what they’re like.

• Mike says:

Please don’t act like your opinion of KC is fact. It’s sad.

• abz says:

I for one thought she fit in quite well. She created good relationships and friendships individually with all of the members of Team Arrow. And as much as I like Sara, Caity Lotz is not that great of an actress and Katie Cassidy did a nice job acting as Laurel Lance/BC.

• stacy030 says:

There is nothing more pathetic than someone who can’t separate a character from an actress. It’s people like you who think it’s cool to send death treats to people because they don’t like who they play. It’s sick and gross and scary.

• A. says:

Me saying KC is unprofessional and disliked has nothing to do with not being able to separate the charcater from the actress, it has to do with things that happened. Her unprofessionalism is well known about and got her fired before.

Also, you need to take a step back because you don’t know me to accuse me of something so serious. I’ve never in my life sent death threats to ANYONE so you better can your attitude because I’m not sick nor gross nor scary and much less pathetic. Everything I said is MY opinion and I stand by it. It’s not my problem if you can’t deal with it by doing excatly what you’re accusing me of doing.

With that, I wish you a good evening and that you consider doing what you preach. It’s the hypocrisy I can’t stand! :)

• Lorna says:

What else was she fured from? She left Supernatural for Harpers Island, and Melrose got the boot after one season. I’m jw.

• PJ lee says:

When has Katie Cassidy been unprofessional? Also if Laurel is such a flop why is there such a huge backlash against her? Almost everyone in the arrow fandom is upset over this. Not only do you come off sounding like a fool but come off sounding like someone who is basing this off of nothing but heresay and gossip. If you dont like her character fine but to say she’s unprofessional when she’s nothing But professional makes you sound foolish and ridiculous.

• PJ lee says:

Yes it is. You’ve pretty much connected Laurel Lance to Katie Cassidy as the same person. Otherwise you wouldn’t be making this stupid accusations of unprofessional behavior despite your lack of evidence. Also she wasn’t fired from those shows. She left them for other acting ventures.

No fool. You need to shut up and see that your accusations have no weight or merid to them. You accused an actress of something without any kind of evidence to back you up. That is not only disgusting but disingenuous on your end. YOu’re not better than the people you criticzie right now and the fact that you pit actresses who have nothing but respect for their co workers against each other is pathetic. Your opinion can still be challenged especially when it’s accusatory.

You are a disgrace to arrow’s fandom. They deserve better than you. You’re pathetic. ;)

• Barrio says:

Enough with this silliness. Nobody knows you and you don’t know her. The only true fact is that she’s an actress that has worked consistently for the past 10 years and will probably continue to do so. I doubt that’s due to unprofessionalism.

• Colby Miller says:

I understand where you’re coming from. I’ve had people constantly complain about my opinions too. I may not agree with you, but if it’s your opinion than you stick with it.

• 134sc says:

“Arrow needed a death to stick after bringing Sara back so many times along with Ray and Andy too. That said, Laurel’s death was not only necessary but overdue. Her character had zero relevance to the plot and she lifts right out while providing someone from the main cast to exit the show and shake things up a bit. Everything she ever did on the show could have been done by someone else or was done better by someone else… she never fit in and it showed. Sara was a better BC and her lack of acting ability and chemistry made her lose screen time and leading lady status.”

Agree with all of this 100%. That’s what I’ve been trying to tell people

• 134sc says:

I still agree, but I take back my 100%. Her acting ability was just fine. That had nothing to do with why the character was killed off

• A. says:

That’s your POV and it’s okay for us to disagree! Also, it’s hard to make people listen to your opinion when they don’t want to.. but there’s nothing we can do! Have a nice evening!

• Real arrow fan says:

Talking bout Laurels acting??? Felicity is the worst actor on the show. 😂😂😂

• Colby Miller says:

Real arrow fan, I have to disagree with you there. I thought that felicity was a good character for the show and I liker her as a character. Sure I hated when they forced a relationship between her and oliver when they never had any chemistry (I mean look at them, she’s a love sick puppy while every time the actor tries to show that oliver loves her, he can’t even show the slightest bit of feeling) but she is still a good actress.

• PJ lee says:

• PJ lee says:

Really? You don’t say? Well then I guess you’re in the minority little girl since the multiple TT’s and poll that says Arrow should be canceled for this act kinda says that Laurel’s death was a huge mistake. I know you think you like to pretend that you represent the majority of arrow fans out there but the truth is you don’t. You’re just another mentally unstable person pretending to be the majority. You’re not. Which is why Arrow is getting such terrible reviews as of late.
      So if everything she did on the show could’ve been done by someone else why did they keep her on the show for so long? I mean four years is a long time if they could just replace her. And If sara was a better BC why is she on a second tier spin off show and not the main one? Seems like you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Do you actually do research? or are you naturally ignorant and foolish? If she was disliked as Laurel Lance there wouldn’t be a reaction like there is right now. And as far as Unprofessionalism goes, thats just you making stuff up with out any facts. Like most mentally inept olicity shippers you base an argument off of little to no facts. Also Team arrow is in disaray right now because of Oliver’s terrible leadership. Yeah again Killing of BC just might be the final nail in arrow’s coffin. That and the bad writing, the tailoring to ships, the horrible plot development, you’re not to up to date are you? lol

• L says:

Unprofessional? Are you serious? This is the woman who constantly took the side of the writers and the makers saying that she had full trust in them even when her character was sidelined constantly. They turned her from the main female lead she was supposed to be to a character who flits across the screen once in a while, but did she complain? No. She was promised a mask like her comic book counterpart but they introduced a new character of Sara Lance as the Black Canary instead. But did she complain? No. She was supposed to be the main love interest of Oliver but they changed that to support fans like you. But did she complain? No. She was constantly degraded by olicity fans on all media portals but did she backlash? No. She has never supported hate comments and has constantly said that she had full trust on the writers and would support whatever direction the writers take her character. Even after her character was killed off without even informing her of the ‘creative decision’ until two episodes before her last episode was being shot, she has not said anything against the writers or the producers on any interview. She has graciously accepted their decision. If this is ‘unprofessional’ according to you then, honey, you really need to buy a new dictionary.
      You are an ardent olicity shipper, its obvious and you even admitted to it. I have nothing against that-everyone is entitled to their own choices. But don’t go around saying that an actor is ‘unprofessional’ and her character is ‘dead weight’ just because she is a potential threat to your fragile shipper heart. At the end of the day, YOU are the one who comes across as stupid and wrong.
      Good day.

• Bob says:

Dude Laurel was a AWESOME character in season 1 and 2 then when the writers had the BEST moments to write her even more amazing (when she became the black canary) THEY DID A HORRIBLE JOB because they began focusing on the dumb Olicity ship more and more and it’s ruined Felicity and Oliver’s relationship for me personally and it ruined the show tbh

• Colby Miller says:

Dude, have you ever even read or researched anything from the comics or about the actress? For one, it doesn’t matter how skilled Laurel was because she was constantly getting better, this past episode she literally took on two former league of assassins members by herself while thea was fighting malcolm. Second, she’s the only actor/actress in the show that has won so much as one award and she’s won 2. Also, I can respect your opinion, but I’ve watched every episode of Arrow and there was never any chemistry between Oliver and Felicity. That relationship was purely fan service and it was pointless, especially after they spent two season showing how deeply Oliver and Laurel cared about each other and all the flashbacks in all four season so far doing the same thing just to instantly act like those feelings never existed in season 3. Guggenheim is a shameful writer who thinks he can just write whatever he wants and get away with it without realizing that this isn’t his story, it’s a classic that has been told for decades and by treating it as something else he has upset a large majority of his viewing audience, most of which will stop watching the show ending its success and bringing it to a closer end. That said, you are entitled to your opinion and I don’t wish to offend you, but I recommend that you make sure you have all the facts first.

4. David says:

Thanks for the Spoiler in the Headline and Picture!!! Great Job! : /

• Mike says:

They kept it spoiler free in two separate articles last night. It’s been 20 hours. If you don’t want to know, don’t come to a site that discusses the shows.

• ABG says:

I don’t care about spoilers but it’s not cool to put her picture up on the homepage. Even if you are looking for articles on other shows you’d get spoiled.

• Amelia says:

Oh has it really been a whole 20 hours?!? (Which most people spent around 8 of those said hours sleeping). Some people have work or other commitments and aren’t able to watch the episode right away. So I can’t come to the site to read about other shows until I’m caught up on my DVR? Good to know. Not having her name and picture isn’t going to take away from the article. I’m not saying wait forever but I don’t think it would kill them to wait 48 hours to put spoilers in the title.

5. Mike says:

I doubt Felicity has the stomach to be in the battle that much. I wouldn’t worry about it. As long as Dinah isn’t played by Katie Cassidy that could work. Otherwise people will just feel duped again(as much as I’d rather have Katie back). I’m glad that last slide was in the list. It’s poor storytelling to have that last “I need to ask you something” line in the hospital room without a payoff. Can’t wait to find out what she asked him.

6. percysowner says:

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they make Felicity a new Black Canary. Angry, yes, surprised no. Felicity apparently must take over all of Laurel’s roles.

Sorry, I’m ticked off right now and although I originally liked Olicity, I feel the the show has been warped to make it front and center.

• Julie Wilson says:

Omg. There not making her BC. She is not trained at all. Plus she already has a job; if she comes back to the team. For her taking love interest from LL. Blame Stephen Amell. He’s the one that said he and her had more Chemistry.

7. Aaron says:

This still makes me upset. The show has always done a great disservice to this character. The only reason I gave this show a shot and tried again over and over was because of Black Canary. But they wrote her poorly, gave her spot and prominence to Felicity (with good reason), and had her meandering around while her dead sister came back to take her code name first. They wrote a more compelling Black Canary around her, and by the time she finally became Black Canary, it was after she lost her place in the story. It’s a shame because Katie Cassidy is a great actress and could carry anything they gave her if they only wrote it properly. It should have been Thea, but that’s just my opinion.

• Patrick says:

This show made a HUGE misstep by killing Tommy. And then making Merlin into Thea’s dad. And then bringing back Sara to be the Canary. Which obviously wasn’t the plan or they wouldn’t have had to recast Sarah Lance from the pilot. Those missteps from S1 into S2 ultimately doomed the show. The real problem was that Katie Cassidy was miscast from the word jump. She’s a great actress, and very beautiful. She was wrong for this part. I’m sure the producers wanted a name actress, and I assume she was still owed something from the Melrose Place spinoff, or had a cheerleader inside the CW, or something. But she was miscast. Imagine if Caty Lotz had been hired to be Sara in the first place? We’d have a whole new show right now.

• Liz says:

THIS. Sadly Katie was miscast. And they just kept writing her badly. I feel sorry for her but it’s the way it is. Sara should have been BC.

• GoogleyWoogley says:

I wish they made Sara be the one in Star City, have Dinah be the one that was on the island, and killed off Sara in S3 and had it stay that way. That would have been a bit more comic faithful and killed off the “Laurel” character when no one really liked her, and before she became interesting. I can dream :'(

• 134sc says:

Agreed

8. Dominique says:

it would be an absolute disgrace if someone else would step in as the black canary, no matter who it is. retire that superhero, do not let somebody take over after laurel has fought so hard for her place in the team.
    i’m curious to see what new storylines and emotional scenes this will bring about, but i hope first and foremost, it will be about laurel, not the others.
    that said; i can’t wait to see the sara/lance scenes in LoT.

9. Hus says:

Arrow logic:
    Develop a terrible character to the point that she’s actually likeable, then kill her off, and at the same time,
    Degrade a great character to the point she’s intolerable, then keep her in the limelight every second of the show.

10. Celeone says:

Marc Guggenheim actually didn’t say anything about a return of Black Canary / Black Siren, while he did take the time to shoot down theories about a fake death. If she is dead and won’t return in any form, why wouldn’t he just say that it isn’t a fake death and she won’t return? It looks a bit stupid to only squash one bit of theory if you don’t want to get people’s hopes up about a possible return. The only reason I could think about why he didn’t get into that, is because he can’t say truthfully Katie Cassidy won’t return.

Or maybe it’s just wishful thinking. Just sounds stupid to kill off the Black Canary.

• Colby Miller says:

I agree with you and I would like to give you some more information to add to this. turns out, that you can’t trust anything Guggenheim says. Why? How about because he decided he wanted to kill someone off without putting any thought into it until the last minute. At the start of the season he literally said that he didn’t know who he wanted to kill off. This tells me that he’s writing the story as he goes so I don’t think we can ever trust what he says.

But that’s not even what upsets me. What upsets me is how he’s offensive to the laurel fans by saying things like this:
      -“Any one but the Green Arrow is fair game”
      -“Laurel’s character has reached a plateau if not a conclusion”
      -“The comics have hundreds of iterations, this is ours whether you like it or not”
      -“This was never just about telling the comic story”
      -“We realized that killing off Laurel would upset a very vocal MINORITY”
      -“We made a creative decision and we’re sticking to it”
      -“We’ve never done anything just for the fans before”
      -“I believe that we’ve done right by this show/character”

Need I go on?

11. Joe says:

Seems to be a case of being miscast…the cw contract meant no screentest with stephen amell…she had no romantic chemistry with him and once the chemidtry with ebr was discovered the laurel/ollie romance boat sailed…then the actiony bc stuff was done better by cl as sara so all that was left was courtroom scenes which is not arrows speciality…surprised it too this long actually…would be all for alternate earth bc but new actress…and I like kc, particularly enjoyed her as ruby in supernatural…

12. Patrick says:

Would they bring back Sarah at some point and make HER the new/old Black Canary. Frankly, she and Ollie had more chemistry than either Felicity or Laurel. Nyssa is her true love, probably, but her death would set up nicely for Sarah and Ollie.

• Joe says:

I like olicity but also like sara/ollie…I actually think it would have been bettercto keep sara on arrow and move laurel to lot…

• ABG says:

Why are people so quick to put females with Oliver? He’s pretty messed up and I don’t think anyone would be that lucky to end with him.

• Joe says:

Actually agree…just saying that with that aspect of the show kc was miscast…not a big shipper myself, not against it either…

• KatsMom says:

Agreed. That’s actually why I was opposed to Olicity. I liked Felicity too much to see her wind up with Ollie. She deserves better, but apparently the writers don’t think so.

• Colby Miller says:

What you are saying is that you would want to abandon over 70 years of comic book history with one of the biggest romances in the DC universe, which is filled with almost every character having a non existent love life, that involved the second most important female superhero in the entire comic universe just so that the Green Arrow can be left with a made up character they already established to be gay. Are you sure you want to go with that?

• JC1 says:

First, Sara’s not gay. She’s bisexual. Did you not watch season two? And second, “second most important female superhero in the entire comic universe”? Really? Even if we limit that to just the DC universe, you’re saying Black Canary is second only to Wonder Woman, and I think that’s a stretch.

13. Patrick says:

I hope they explore Ollie being right about this. He shouldn’t feel bad. This isn’t his fault. No one else in the group listens to him. He is, by a huge margin, the best at being a vigilante. Felicity is too optimistic and squeamish for this, and Diggle simply isn’t smart enough. Speedy can’t ever see the whole picture. Ollie told them something bad would happen and it did. I would love to see him really say something that DESTROYS everyone else in the group. And then, very casually tell them to leave or stay, that Ollie doesn’t care, and they other folks incorrect opinions don’t matter. My way, or the high way.

14. Murica! says:

This is just pathetic. They obviously killed her to eventually replace her with another black canary. I wouldn’t be surprised if that little private talk they had was about olicity. This whole show has turned into a soap opera about olicity. It’s pathetic! Thank you olicity fans for ruining this show!!

15. Hmm. says:

I would explode and unload a world of verbal pain on the morons writing this garbage if they even thought for ONE SECOND replacing Black Canary with anyone, least of all effing FELICITY for God’s sake, was a good idea.

• Julie Wilson says:

Why would they do that. I can’t believe people would ever believe they would just throw out Felicity from the computers. Which she excells at and give her the BC mantel.. Her character doesn’t exercise and she has no fight training at all. Laurel at least had some kind of training before taking up the mantel. I personally don’t think that their going to have a new BC. I think there will be a wanabe out there in the next episodes, but she or he will not be permanent. If they make someone permanently BC than Laurels death would be more absolute than it is now

16. abz says:

Why couldn’t they have gotten rid of John Barrowman and his terrible acting? Seriously his acting makes me cringe so much. I can’t stand Merlyn. I just want Merlyn and Dahrk and Diggle’s brother gone for good. Man there are so many unlikable characters on this show and they go and kill one that I actually like. :/
    Oh and seriously this has got to be the final season for those stupid flashbacks. They just throw off the rhythm of the show and they are SO BOOOOOOOOOOOORING. I’d rather sit through one full flashback episode and get it over with than having them in each and every episode. And really four seasons in, shouldn’t they be close to the point in the flashback where Oliver was found on the island.

• bc says:

They should’ve killed Merlyn AGES ago. The league should’ve killed him in season 3, there was no reason to keep him around beyond that. His and Thea’s story was explored more than enough by then. The fact that Team Arrow just lets him run amok to cause trouble is one of the worst oversights this show has, it makes idiots of them all.

Also, yes please for the love of god stop with the stupid flashbacks. Whenever they come on my brain goes to the same place it does for commercials. I even reached for the remote to use the skip function last night before realizing. It just ends up taking time away from the stories we actually care about.

• Colby Miller says:

I have to majorly disagree with you there. If I was to pick anyone to replace Laurel, it would be her father. I feel like he’s played his role in the show to its max and there really isn’t anything left for him to do. Plus the actor is currently having health issues so this would have been a good way to lighten the load.

Besides, I personally like Merlyn and I say that he’s the only villain the show needs. He’s atleast the only one who ever actually succeeded with his plans and beaten Oliver. I mean let’s just look at it.
      -Season 1: Merlyn wants to destroy the glades, they stop device one, device two goes off and destroys the glades.
      -Season 2: Deathstroke wants to destroy the city and kill everyone in it, they cure his soldiers, stop his plans
      -Season 3: Ra’s Al Ghul wants to destroy the entire city and kill everyone in it, they stop him, they save the city

So far Merlyn is the only one to succeed and I personally thought it would’ve been a neat twist if the one who put a person in the grave was him instead of Darhk, who I’m personally done with. They already beat him by smashing the idol and it makes me so mad to see Guggenheim kill Laurel with a nonsensical pointless plot that happens to rely on the convenience that Merlyn would help Darhk when he stands to gain nothing by doing it (seeing how it looks like Merlyn would become the next leader of HIVE regaining an organization as powerful as the one he lost) and the coincidence that Team Arrow just happened to decide to keep every single piece of the idol, put it all together, and then hide one piece? Even in the comics no hero was ever that stupid.

17. AW says:

I like Katie Cassidy, and she did the best she could with the writing that she’s been given. I’ll miss her. I look forward to seeing her on other TV projects soon.

• T says:

Agreed with the poor quality of the script. Luckily with The Flash exploring parallel earths, Laurel could make an appearance there.

18. Liz says:

THEY’RE NOT GONNA MAKE FELICITY THE BLACK CANARY. I wish people would stop stirring crap. It won’t happen. Laurel gets buried as The Black Canary and some fan of hers will try to be her to take up her mantle. It’s not Felicity. Just chill omg.

19. Adam says:

I’ve only ever felt cheated or failed by a show once before, by the HIMYM finale. This feeling sucks. This death failed to impact in the way that it should have because of the strange ambiguity of going from fine, to telling an unheard secret, to suddenly dying without any transition.

20. grys03 says:

From the moment that Laurel had that private moment with Oliver there was no doubt in my mind that the death was faked. How, I’m not sure but have many guesses.
    But they why is easy. Darhk no longer has leverage over Quentin. The motivational factor. A ‘ghost’ operative who can do things even the team can’t.
    Either way, it was a bit of a giveaway when the rest of the team left the room.
    I’ll wait to be proved wrong.

21. Nicole says:

Laurel dieing, while sad, was long over due. The writers just disnt know what to do with her. I always found her rather dull. Due in no part to Katie. Any time they actually have her something meaty it was usually just brushed aside. While it’s true I prefer Felicity I think they should’ve tried harder with Laurel.

22. herman1959 says:

Isn’t April 29 a Friday? Did I miss the announcement – is Arrow switching to Fridays after Sleepy Hollow’s finale?

23. Zippey says:

I will have to say I am disappointed. Captain Lance is no longer a cop. So let’s get rid of the entire Lance family. The dynamic that made up Arrow is gone. Felicity is not part of the team. The connections that are the people that played these characters had. Just throw them all out the window. And I sick of Damien Darhk. That story line has been beaten to death. I just about stopped watching and now I’m done.

Katie Cassidy I do wish you the best. I will look for you to show up somewhere else. But, I will not watch another Arrow ever. It’s not just because of you being killed it’s also because the writers have ripped the show apart. I like change, but not when it takes away too many of the people and characters that the show started with and the people that click with each other.

• 134sc says:

I’m thinking season 5 will have Oliver as mayor and he will make Lance the Police Chief. That would be a cool season 5 dynamic, that sadly all the people making knee jerk reations to no longer watch the show will miss

• KatsMom says:

I don’t think these are all kneejerk reactions to no longer watch. I haven’t liked the direction of the show for a long time. I hung in there mostly because of The Flash crossovers. This season, they kept me around because I thought I finally saw them building toward something interesting with Laurel/BC. So, killing her off was the final straw for me.
        I read the post mortems to see if there was something worth sticking around for, but I saw no reason to continue watching. Guggenheim saying that they felt like they’d explored the GA/BC relationship enough in Season 1, and they felt like they’d explored the long, messy history between BC/GA enough (Really? One hook-up and allusions to a relationship they had when they were teens/young 20-somethings is “enough” for iconic characters with 70 years of history?) sent me packing for good. BC/GA were usually partners. That’s the dynamic I was looking to see eventually. They didn’t have to be romantic partners necessarily. But, they should have been equal partners in the vigilante business. BC even should have surpassed GA at some point, because GA often learned a thing or two from her. They never achieved that dynamic though. And, apparently they never had any intention of achieving that, based on Guggenheim’s comments.
        These are the kind of things they’ve been doing for the past couple of seasons that turned me into a hate-watcher. I see something in the story that seems to have potential. Then, I watch as the potential is squandered. I get angry. My husband tells me to stop shouting at the TV. He asks why I haven’t had the good sense to stop watching the show already, like he did a couple seasons ago. Well, this time, I see that he’s right. I should stop watching the show. I’m stuck in a vicious cycle and it ends now. And, if what you predict does come to pass, I don’t think I’m really going to have any regrets about the decision either. Ollie as mayor and Lance as Chief is an appropriate progression, but it doesn’t give me anything to look forward to or be excited about either.

24. JJ says:

I dislike both sara and laurel as black canary for some reason, but as much as if they made felicity into bc. I really liked felicity in the beginning but they are making the show to much around her now and it sorta becomes her story then in the show more than oliver’s

25. Diogo says:

26. david m brown says:

b.s. don’t blame the actor’s or actress, blame the idiot writer’s. everyone knows that the black canary and green arrow get married in the comic’s. why these dumb s’s want stay true to the comic’s is absurd.

27. pikachu says:

It just always amazes me how incredibly uncreative writers are in handling a series when a cast member wishes to leave….really? death is the only way? What ridiculous stupidity…and I’m out….and the Arrow becomes just another stupid show with untalented writers.

28. Sick of this A person says:

This “A” person, who are you? Did you decide to just stop by from the PLL realm..? Seriously. No one ever said you can’t have your own point of view on an actor/actress but to claim KC is unprofessional, I think you’re more unprofessional than she is ten times around, going around slamming her in the comment section makes you such a hero! Maybe you should go and find your A minions and be gone with it.

29. Brandon says:

Man everyone on here is just so dang angry. Let me be honest. I am an Olicity fan. Always have been. Always will be. But first of all, don’t put her in a mask. That’s just dumb. 2. It makes sense to be upset when your favorite charter is killed off. It sucks. But it’s one of those things that makes a show heartbreaking. Sure, some people got the short end of the stick. And it sucks. Any one of the main characters could have died and you would have a huge group of fans absolutely outraged. Calling for blood. But this is one of those things a show needs to do. Make a bold move in order to take the show in any direction that they want. It adds overwhelming emotional depth. I’m sorry for all who loved Laurel. Despite not caring for her most of the series, she was starting to grow on me. Just stop with all of the hating. Arrow is not a crappy show because this one character died. Either be a fan and watch, or stop watching the show and stay away from the comment sections on these articles #Arrow

• Colby Miller says:

I have to disagree with you. There are plenty of characters who could have been killed off instead of Laurel and there wouldn’t have been nearly as big a response, especially if written right. But the issue here is that Laurel is to important a character in the Arrowverse and by killing her off and insulting the fans of her, Guggenheim has shown that he neither cares or thinks about the source material. I’m not saying that he has to stick solely to what the comics say, but he should take a note from flash’s writers and write it similarly. Just enough like the comics to please the fans, but different enough to be unique and somewhat real. However, I do agree that people should stop being so hateful, but at the same time, I feel like only those who truly realize what happened will have those responses and by having these responses maybe Guggenheim will come to his senses.

30. Lena says:

i just absolutely still don’t understand why they thought it was a good idea to kill off the Black Canary. she’s iconic. write her off, fine, especially if they believed they were “creatively” finished with her (which is ridiculous, in my opinion). but, they’d already suffered such back lash for killing off Sara, i can’t see how they thought this would play out any differently. they’ve killed off yet another female for Oliver’s man pain. it does more to drive the series into the ground and lead it on a darker, much more boring path. now it’s literally a show about Oliver being broody and a constant on/off Olicity relationship. i just have no interest in the show, now. the way they killed Laurel off was dirty, unfair and proved just how little the writers think of women in the Arrow world in general.

31. JC1 says:

Felicity is absolutely not becoming the Black Canary. I don’t know why this idea is going around. Marc Guggenheim said in a response to one of his Tumblr asks (Feb. 6 if you want to look it up) that “I know that I’ll probably catch hell for this – but if Felicity is going to get a superhero costume, it will probably have to be after I leave the show.” It is not happening, people.
    I think the girl that we see in the promo is the mystery character played by Madison McLaughlin. And I expect that her taking up the BC mantle will be a temporary thing, just for this one episode. If anyone is taking up the Black Canary name permanently, it should be Sara and no one else. And I sincerely hope they do that. She can be the Black Canary on the Waverider, making the Black Canary name a legend throughout history, as it should be.
    Laurel may have had the comic “Dinah Laurel Lance” name, but she was never going to be able to live up to the comics Black Canary. The powers that be screwed that up from day one, literally. They cast the wrong actress for the part. They turned her into a CW copy of Rachel Dawes. They gave her no martial arts background whatsoever, just some self defense classes. And they completely screwed up the Oliver/Laurel relationship by having them be childhood friends and having Oliver betray her so utterly by cheating on her with multiple people including her sister. There was never any hope of this Laurel coming up to what the comics Dinah was, or of the Oliver/Laurel relationship resembling the GA/BC relationship of the comics. The only mystery here is why they didn’t cut their losses a whole lot sooner.

32. Man, I am just devastated that they killed the Black Canary. Like taking the show way off script from the comic books. I loved Katie Cassidy as Ruby and I loved her on Arrow. I’m kinda been okay with the Felicity thing because it was cute for a little while.. but then she got annoying.. way annoying..

I dunno The Black Canary is a JLA member, she’s the most known companion of the Green Arrow outside of The Green Lantern and now this feels like a complete brush off to those who are comic book fans. Booo.

33. wydok says:

Ollie and Argus helped her fake her death. It’s obvious.

“Ollie, I have to tell you something.”

Cut away

Seizure.

Dies.

Sure, OK.

34. BuddyBear says:

Since Quentin is going to appear in an episode of Legends of Tomorrow, couldn’t he send his time-travelling daughter Sara back in time to prevent it all from happening?

• Ashley says:

I think it’s better to not brought Katie to the show again. As they already did enough disrespect to the character of Laurel & Katie. She deserve much better show than this.

35. chun wei says:

Hi guys. Just wondering. If sara lance and ray palmer come back to the day that left for legends of tomorrow. Laurel lance would not have die right? This has been bothering me for so long. So what do you guys think?

36. Lucky says:

i dont want to watch arrow after the black canary dies

37. Terressa Hicks says:

I think it would be great for felicity to become the next black canary and can fight just as good or better do to Oliver training her while they were away and the chip implant Of course Oliver would train her some while they were traveling so she would be sort of safe

38. Jurry says:

Sarah could get another Laurel, from a different time, or simply go back in time to rescue her. IT’S JUST NOT RIGHT!!!!

39. Brad Haga says:

Seriously how do you think Sara is gonna handle this! Just saying. Time traveling, SISTERS, … I’d be very surprised if that scenario doesn’t make some type of ripple… At some time… Lol. Anyhow awesome character she did a fantastic job and from what I can tell from interviews, very professional. Look forward to the occasional memories or alternate earth /time visits.

40. Shourya says:

Why can’t Oliver Queen enlist the help of Flash, travel to the past and warn Laurel? Laurel was on the good side.

41. Sandra shires says:

I am done with Arrow. Lance now has no children. Laurel dead and Sara gone. But Laurel was my favorite woman so she’s gone and do am i. I have been with the show since first episode but no longer a fan. RIP Laurel.

42. vman0703 says:

Quit insulting our intelligence. Leave the Black Canary and her legacy as is gone…this Damien Dhark and his smug wife as mayor had left me to question why I watch this show. The writers need to go back to better writing. Who the heck would elect a murderous Dharke’s wife knowing the Dharke’s involvement in Starling City’s. The first 3 Seasons of this show were the best and now it’s just beyond down plots. Fix this before I stop watching

43. brian says:

it would be great if laurels mother became the black carnary for a while.

44. Craig Orsbourn says:

If u make Felicity the Black Canary, don’t be surprised how many fans u piss off, and lose popularity over it.

45. Mike says:

Unless there is some Season 5 story that brings back SOMEONE to play Black Canary,Arrow may lose a fan. I’m already disappointed John Diggle won’t become a part of the Lantern Corps AND so far, the best villans are dead (Resh AL Guhl) or anti heroes (Malcolm Merlyn) …the show is becoming more of a disappointment. …

46. Maureen says:

I am sad Laurel was removed from the cast. Hope she gets back somehow.

47. Jessica says:

why difd u leacvr soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    sad