Post Mortems
Shadowhunters Season 2 Spoilers

Shadowhunters Boss Talks Jace's Dark Future, New Characters in Season 2

If you’re concerned about Jace’s mental (and moral) state following the end of Tuesday’s Shadowhunters season finale, you have a very healthy sense of fear.

“We should be very worried about Jace,” showrunner Ed Decter tells TVLine. “As fans of the books know, he’s about to take a very dark journey.”

While the final hour of the Freeform drama’s first season gave cause for celebration at times — including Clary and Jocelyn’s long-overdue reunion — it also presented a laundry list of new obstacles for the gang to overcome. Is Jace, now in league with Valentine, beyond saving? Will Camille succeed in breaking “Malec” apart?

Decter tackles those burning queries, plus several others, below:

TVLINE | You guys took quite a few liberties this season in terms of staying faithful to the books. Will you keep that mentality in Season 2?
The goal in the writers’ room is to make the fans feel like we’re not going to end up in the place they’re expecting, then surprise them with how we get there. We try to keep some surprises for the hardcore fans who initially ask “What are they doing? Why are they doing this?” The hope is that they eventually come to a point where they say, “Oh, I get it. I see what they were doing before.”

TVLINE | As a reader of the books, I can say you definitely kept me on my toes.
With big moments, like the “Malec” kiss, what we decided to do is vary from the books by putting a big obstacle in their relationship. We added the character of Lydia, and the fans really responded to her. We thought they’d be upset about us adding a new character, but they saw that it was really putting the brakes on Alec and Magnus. We were doing a live Twitter event during that episode, and I’ve never seen anything like it. I’d go to write a tweet, and by the time I got back to my feed, there were 400 new tweets.

TVLINE | Speaking of “Malec,” will Camille pose a threat to that relationship moving forward?
When we see Camille again, it won’t be as a threat to Alec and Magnus’ relationship; it’ll be more as a threat to Raphael and the other vampires, their whole hierarchy. [Editor’s note: Good luck, Simon!]

TVLINE | Clary was much happier to see her mother on the show than in the books. What made you overlook her resentment after being lied to for 18 years?
That’s yet to come. The real unpacking, as we say in the writers’ room, is yet to come. There will be plenty of mother/daughter drama about the fact that Jocelyn basically lied to her for 18 years. … Clary believes she lied to her, but from a parent’s point of view, she was just protecting her.

**Warning: The next two questions detail major plot points from Cassandra Clare’s Mortal Instruments books**

TVLINE | In the books, if I recall correctly, Jace and Clary give into their urges, despite believing they’re siblings. Is that something you plan on tackling in Season 2?
Actually, that’s absolutely not true. While they are brother and sister, despite the fact that they have these odd feelings, they are chaste. There’s a moment with the Seelie Queen, but that’s a little different; we’ll save that for the viewers. But Jace and Clary are definitely confused as to why they feel this way, which is a big point of tension in the books.

TVLINE | Books and TV shows are such different mediums. Is it hard for you guys to walk that line with Jace and Clary without it feeling like it’s going too far?
Well, we plan to play the tension of it because, in romances, it’s not what gets people together that’s interesting — it’s what keeps them apart. The torture of a romance is a lot more dramatic than the pleasure of it. This is a very good, torturous situation. Cassandra has a wonderful solve in the books for how this all works out.

TVLINE | Should we be keeping an eye out for any new book characters in Season 2?
Some characters we’ve met go through giant transformation. Simon’s girlfriend Maureen has a lot in store for her, and there’s a lot in store for Jocelyn and Luke. There will be new characters we meet as well, including the Seelie Queen. We’ll start building into each of the realms in a different way.

Your take on the finale? Hopes for Season 2? Grade the episode below, then drop a comment with all of you thoughts.

1. Li says:

Clary and Jace definitely “give in to their urges” in the third book though, before finding out they’re not actually related.

• Andy Swift says:

Right? I knew I wasn’t crazy!

• Julia says:

Yes, it definitely happened. I guess the writers didnt read the third book.

• Sara says:

Julia, considering they have pulled plot points from the third book already (such as their take on Ragnor Fell), I think your statement is inaccurate. I mean, I have read and loved the books and forgot about the book three interlude. I don’t begrudge him being confused on the timeline; it is a lot of source material.

• Shepardz says:

Personally, it feels like the every other page of the script is like the book and they do whatever else they want for the rest. They take away powerful scenes from Sebastions era and add them to Valentine. It feels like they can’t wait for some of the awesome things that happen later, they seem to forget about the epic stuff that happens in the first 3 books trying to apply aspects that don’t happen till the second 3 books. I know that they want to surprise people who read the book too, however they add enough and at the same time change enough that it doesn’t make as much sense as it could.

As a few examples, I believe they should have kept how the falcon story was told the same and Hodge the same(doesn’t feel right having him as a birdless weaponsmaster).

• Hoshi says:

I think, to be clear. They mean sex. Jace and Clary made out but no sex. That’s the only thing I can think of for the confusion lol.

• Gina says:

I thought they did in the second book too? When they go to jaces old house? They kiss outside even “knowing they are brother and sister” I don’t remember anything happening in the 3rd book. Maybe the writer misunderstood and thought they meant had sex? Lol. I don’t know

• Yup. Even though I haven’t read the books since high school in the last book Clary and Jace have sex for the first time together in the demon realm. But it’s okay because (in the book) they know they aren’t brother and sister. Sebastian is her blood brother. Jace is not. However with the way the show is (not really following the books) it might happen before. Idk

• ElenaHerondale says:

Right!!??
      And that is not something you would forger. Always shipp CLACE even tho when I thought they were brothers

• Trisha says:

No they didn’t. They almost did, i just finished the books and they didnt have sex till the last book. They got a bit carried away but found out they wasnt related in the 3rd book after they found out about who Sebastian really was.

2. Samantha says:

Not trying to spoil but I think the moment in the seelie court will but cut due to cough *insest* cough reasons, although I really hope it will be it is a huge part that is meaningful.

• Gina says:

Well hopefully they don’t cut it. Cuz the whole point of switching their name to freeform was so they could air more risky stuff. And they said shadowhunters was gonna be like that. Even though I didn’t really see anything like that really this season. :/

3. m3rissa says:

I really, really love how they are including everything you want from the books but doing it at their own speed and incorporating new elements. I loved that they added Lydia and brought in a new obstacle in Alec and Magnus’ relationship. I love that they have already made Simon a vampire because I was really afraid they were going to hold on to that for a while. And I definitely love that Jace and Clary now know Valentine is their father. They are staying beautifully true to the original story that we love while still managing to make it their own. Can’t wait for season 2!

4. I loved the episode before the season finale but the actual season finale was kinda not what I expected. I really want to start watching season 2 already 😂 This show is so good I’m looking forward to the next season!
    #GoMalec!!!

5. analog says:

But now that they’ve awakened Jocelyn, wouldn’t she just say that Clary and Jace aren’t siblings?

• BlackKnight says:

Well, not until she see’s Jace, because as we know Jocelyn thought Jonathan dead and now it turns out he was raised by Valentine, she will probably have her doubts but the way Jace’s actions are going he is very well acting how the real Jonathan would act.

• Gina says:

That’s what I thought! They better stick to that though. Cuz I don’t want to have wait forever to find out some other stupid way. But they probably aren’t gonna have Jocelyn reveal it yet since in the books he doesn’t find out until book 3. Although I hope he does sooner cuz they are just so damn cute together!!! Although I feel they are gonna drag it out forever since they want to go the “dark”‘jace route. But he doesn’t really go evil until book 4 after Sebastian is introduced!!! And I hope they cast a badass Sebastian. But I guess we will find out in season 2. Which I hope comes back when pll does.

6. Sara says:

Great finale! I am loving that they are making slight changes yet keep it recognizable. A different path the same conclusion, as it were. The show has definitely gotten much stronger as it moves along. How long until the second season?!

7. Shepardz says:

Feels like all 6 books jumbled up with a few new things added. Not sure why we haven’t seen the seelie queen yet, she was so vital to so many things in the books. Although I do like the twist of Jace going with Valentine, however if they keep Sebastions story the same( if the show lasts that long) then his story will really feel like a repeat of what happend in this season finale(and Sebastions era was my favorite :( ).

8. Blaine says:

What I loved about the books is that during Clary’s transition into her new world, she quickly became the bad-butt Shadowhunter with an angel gifted power. I’m a little disappointed that no aspects of this power really presented themselves in the first season. Clary even failed to draw a ruin when she was trapped in the crate, when in the books it seems like the ruins she needs just appear to her! Now that Valentine is on the barge, can we expect her bad- butt, slightly modified, opening ruin to come into play? A strong Clary-ruin moment is deeply needed next season!!

9. colt murcott says:

The best TV show ever

10. mercy says:

if you really wanna keep up ur game,shorten the period of waiting 4 season 2 mayb after 3 mnths,like other series e.g empire and perhaps lengthen the episodes from 20-24

11. This season is so close to the book story line i am definitely keeping tabs for the next season/s, clary and jace are spot on weirdly enough valentine is spot on to as with all the other characters, keep going with your amazing work shudowhunters team 📚❤️

12. Aliyah Crawford says:

**Will there be more kisses between Malec in season 2?

13. Nancy Eaton says:

Awesome show when will season 2 start. I have read all the books and you are doing them justice. Big thanks

14. Karin says:

Love this show and I feel the next season should air way earlier then 2017!!!!! I was disappointed when they decided not to continue with the 2nd movie because of ratings and there are 6 books so far . Now,I fell in love with the series and the new actors and pray they continue until the full story has been told!!! They can have as many seasons as The Walking Dead maybe more and air at least two season’s a year I love The Walking Dead but I love Shadow Hunters even More !!!!!!! Please do not ever consider ending this series until the full story has been told !!!! The actors are amazing !!!!! I even think it is better Then the Twilight books!!! So Freeform should see the story through till the end!!!!!!!

15. Kathy mccarney says:

Love the changes but hope they stay true to books jocelyn didn’t wake till book three so does this mean clarys going to find out jace isn’t her brother in season 2 can’t wait to see what changes they have made

16. Beth says:

I thought the finale was awesome and can’t wait for Season 2! I am going to be tortured about what they have planned for Alec and Magnus in the future!

17. WarlockBane says:

I’m super excited for the Seelie Queen! I can’t help but wonder who will be portraying her. All around , great season. Every did a fantastic job , albeit there are some story lines from other books that I felt were a bit too soon, but we will see what happens :) It needs to be January again already. LOL!

18. Ann Edwards says:

Absolutely brilliant, as a huge fan of the books & being older than a lot of them I have actually enjoyed the ‘changes’ in the 3 version. It has stayed ‘true’ to the original storyline but with little ‘tweeks’ not straight definite cages. Looking forward to Season 2 very, very much. Excellent job, well done.

19. DAdan says:

IT WAS SOO GOOD. Suspense is going to be the death of me!!

20. Shae Mcmanus says:

When you eventually make Clary go to the City of Glass you should try to still do the part where her and Luke fall through the portal because that was one of my favourite parts of the third book and the part in the secong when their all together and Clary learns about how she can make new ruins! :) otherwise I love the show and I can’t wait for the second season!!!! But it should definitely come out way sooner than 2017 because thats a long ways away. I loved how you really made Jayce so dark because thats what I saw in the books when doubt was creeping into his mind, and I really like how you include a lot of stuff from the books even the little things because it really does make it that much more enjoyable for the people who have read the books. Also the actors that where chosen are perfect for the parts. Especially Alec, Isabelle and Magnus Bane.

21. Paigeweaver says:

It was good team jase

22. Brittnee Terpsta says:

i want to see more clace and i would like to know how they feel with everything going on and how they handle it. and what is going to happen with jocelyn and valentine and jace and clary like they are family is jocelyn and clary going to join jace and valentine or are they going to get jace back and kill valentine and what is goung to happen with the cup??

23. katharienne says:

Ha, I love how the TV show veers away from the books! It’s much more fun that way, it’s like reading a cool canon divergence!AU fic and I like NOT knowing what will happen. I think, despite all the changes, they try to keep the characters true to themselves, though I think I like TV Clary more than book Clary? She’s just much more easy to relate in the show, as far as I’m concerned. I know for some people she comes of as “whiny” and “cowardly” but this behaviour is so much more probable when it comes to a girl in her situation.

Also, and please don’t hate me for this, I think Alec and Magnus get a much for healthy start here. Their relationship in later books was really sweet and seemed good for both of them, but it squicked me a little bit how they were at the beginning, what with Alec being in the closet to everyone (while in the show it’s clear that Izzy is on to him and constantly offers her support) and completely sheltered and a jail-bait. In the show we can see the Institute crawling with people, Alec is older and more mature and he and Magnus get to know each other a little better before dating. And they don’t do it in secret so. All in all, I think that the writers are on to something here :)

So yes, please continue to messing up the source material a little! It’s fun, it’s exciting :) And no one expects Marvel or DC movies to do everything exactly the way it was done in the comics, right? (Not that comics always do everything the same way it was done in earlier comics but that’s beside the point).

24. Wm says:

No you can’t kill off Luke! He is the closest thing to a real dad Clary has. I love the protected side of him that he brings to the show.

25. Yoko says:

I’m an adult and I’ve read all the books….it’s a tv show and they are doing a good job with new plots and twists. I don’t want to watch a show that is literally the book! Let the writers and characters grow! Looking forward to Season 2.

26. Taylor says:

Even though jace and clary are brother and sister I hope they give into their urges because they make a good team together and they make a good couple.

27. Alexis says:

Is jace and clary really brother and sister and please if they are then please make it different because all the romances between them didn’t seem like they are and I don’t want them to be I want them to date please❤️❤️😘😘😭😭😍😍

28. Shelbey Cranston says:

even though the TV show doesn’t really fallow the books it brings the same tension and excitement as the books due. I watched all the shows in one night and LOVED THEM! I really hope that you make the second series cause in my opinion it brought a whole new light to the characters.

29. Kayla says:

I love this show i cant wait till tuesday every week so i can see this. I love this show so much. But i thought clarry and jace were so perfect for eachother, and then you find out that there “brother and sister” like wth. But its still so good. #jaceloveyou

30. Michelle says:

I fell in love with shadowhunters it’s very interesting and very hypnotic I really hope there will be a second and third and more.

31. duchess says:

pls when will season 2 be out

32. Aroni says:

Jace and clary are perfect couples.😘😍♥

33. emmajurdy says:

When will season 2 begin? Why cant I find it on hulu any longer?

34. Kate says:

Am I the only one who really disliked the ending of season 1? Not the whole thing…just a few parts…

35. Dorrie Champlin says:

When I read the books, I didn’t picture Magnus as being soooo young or Asian…Did I miss something since the movie and now this series both have basically the same character? Also I just think that they get Jace wrong… I pictured him as this goofy smart ass kid until he needed to snap into Shadowhunter mode. the keep casting guys that only look good when they are brooding and way too intense 100% of the time. And could anyone be even slightly normal looking?!! These aren’t the Cullens here, people!!

36. Tasha says:

Simply when does the next season start?

37. Denielle Schiren says:

I read this series before watching it on TV (or the movie. Did you know there was a movie?!!) but I felt like the first season went a bit fast and there was a lot skipped. I like where things are headed I just hope they slow it down a bit because it’s the details (in the book) that made us love it and I hate it when movies/shows skip so many of the little things that it makes it something completely foreign! Some change is fine and most times good even; but just keeping to the “core” of the story makes those who loved the books sad or upset. We want to see what we pictured in our heads so many times come to life in the show that when it’s not there we’re left disappointed and feel the show is less somehow.

38. Add says:

Dar cind va aparea sezonul 2?

39. Isabella Arreola says:

Yea I’ve read the books and there were somethings that they left out and somethings they added in. But what I would like to know is if they are going to add the ferry scene where clary Simon and the werewolf girl are being held prisoner is going to be in season two? And if it is going to be true to the book ? And if they are going to find out they aren’t really related in season 2? I have a lot of concerns and I hope that the writers won’t let me down.

40. you should make it to where they find out that they aren’t all the way related and get back together{ jace and clary} or to where they dont care that they are siblings and get together because they are perfect for each other and simon and clary can’t get together it will destroy their friendship please please please please please.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

41. i haven’t read the books yet but what yall are saying is getting me pumped up. i agree xclary and jace should be together they make a great adorable and cute couple. they shouldnt make it to where they are siblings they should find out they are not siblings in front of everybody so everybody knows. i hope the writers make it to where they aren’t writers if your readings this i beg you please please please please please please please please please.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

42. Elly says:

I understand the weirdness of clary and jace if they were to give in, however I would love nothing more than there to be a twist proving they are not really related and they end up having a loving reunion together full of romance and back to being kick ass shadowhunters together!

43. Cassandra Clare uploaded an unedited version of the cave scene between Clary and Jace in Edom in the last book online. Just type in “Cassandra Clare Unedited Cave Scene Heavenly Fire” and you’ll see it. Its where Jace and Clary have sex for the first time after finding out for a long time that they weren’t brother and sister.

44. alexis says:

I am a huge fan of shadowhunters. At first, I was uneasy about it because I was such a big fan of the movie and was sad they were starting over with a new cast, but I decided to try it out and I’m glad I did. I’ve hear people say the show is terrible but that is just a few opinions. It’s just not their type of show/movie, where I am very interested in supernatural shows because literally anything can happen. I am, and will stay, a dedicated fan of shadowhunters.

45. alex says:

Does anyone else think that Alec and Clary should try something ? I’m not saying they should end up together because I do love Clary and Jace together, but just for a little while maybe ?

• Christine says:

i keep having such thoughts…….Alec is hot and this whole arguing between them, i hope it would be something more….

46. OfficialLois says:

The thing in waiting for the most, is when Clary and Jace find out they arent siblings, and they can love each other without the whole bro sis thing. But if i recall corectly, that doesnt happen untill the 3rd book.. Guess ill have to wait..🙄

47. possessed says:

OMG damn it it was awesome! ALthough I really don’t care about what was between jace and clary and the relationship between them BUT if alec and magnus break up I’ll cry for centuries i mean i REALLY ship them they’re like they meant to be together…. ahhhh pleaaaaaseeeeee don’t ruin the relationship!!!!

48. Tiny says:

Can’t wait for season 2 to come back

49. MalecLuver says:

I HOPE THERE ARE MORE MALEC SCENES IN SEASON 2!!!!!!!!!!

50. Sharmmany green says: