Big Bang Recap: Sheldon Cooper's Fortress of Shame

The Big Bang Theory just made the ultimate reveal: Dr. Sheldon Lee Cooper is a packrat.

Thursday’s episode, “The Solder Excursion Diversion,” found the anal-retentive character’s laptop on the fritz, and Amy willing to do just about anything to keep Sheldon’s mind at ease. Unfortunately for her, gifting him with a new computer opened up a whole new can of worms.

Suggesting that he recycle his old laptop led the physicist to reveal a long-kept secret: He’s a recovering hoarder, and he has a monthly storage bill to prove it.

As Amy attempted to get Sheldon to think about throwing away some of his less cherished possessions — such as old toothbrushes (yuck!) and a bin of pinecones — he confided in her about this very obvious problem. Knowing that Sheldon was hurt, Amy made the best of his situation, indicating that she, too, has kept plenty of things in her life that others would have tossed away, such as the tissue she used during her first-ever brain dissection (double yuck!).

Later over tea, Sheldon gave Amy the idea that perhaps he was feeling a bit frisky. In actuality, he was just itching to test out his new laptop. After sending her home, the couple spoke over Skype while Sheldon got into bed alone. Amy, as you can imagine, was not amused.

RELATED Big Bang Cast Tackles Burning Q: Will Next Season Be the Show’s Last?

Meanwhile, Raj proved to be the ultimate snitch in Thursday’s B-story, ratting out Leonard and Howard for ditching Penny and Bernadette — who had just surprised them with lunch at work — to attend an advance screening of Suicide Squad without him. Of course, rather than tell the girls about the last-minute opportunity to see the film, they lied and said they got a flat tire on the way to pick up work supplies. While Raj insisted on getting payback, the girls inevitably forgave the guys when they returned with flowers and told them the truth. Raj, on the other hand, was still ticked off about not getting to see the movie — not that anyone really cared.

What did you think of Sheldon’s Big reveal? Sound off below.

1. Tom says:

Pretty much a filler episode

• jj says:

I always find that comment odd when applied to sitcoms. Sitcoms are literally situational comedies. Unlike some shows that have a destination, sitcoms are about seeing the characters experience situations etc and hopefully it’s funny.

• suzi says:

I agree. “Filler episode” suggests a major, long-term story arc—what exactly is that on TBBT?

• NJMark says:

Until relatively recently, with shows going for serialization and arcs, nearly every episode of every sitcom throughout history could be called a “filler” episode!

2. TVfan says:

What a bummer. The show comes on later tonight in my area. Sigh Why didn’t I stop reading? But on a show-related note: I’ve never liked penny.

3. dan says:

Weakest episode of the season. There were a few laughs, but overall it wasn’t very funny and the storylines weren’t interesting. So Sheldon is a secret hoarder while Leonard and Howard got to see a movie. This was the best the writers could come up with? The opening with Amy and Sheldon talking on the computer was not original or funny. I was underwhelmed.

4. Bella says:

I thought it was pretty dull, no real laughs. And they keep joking about Raj maybe being gay, but he seems to like women too much for that. This is one of those episodes that if it disappeared, I don’t think many would miss it.

5. John NYC says:

When that golf ball rolled back into the storage unit my immediate thought was. Hey Sheldon IS a “guy” after all; he just TOTALLY lied to his girlfriend! lol

6. Meg says:

Wow, Mayim!!! showing off a but in that little knit vest!!! LOL

7. Sheri Reid says:

A friend of mine made a good point- if Sheldon doesn’t drive and hates to take a bus, how in the world are we to believe he’s been taking all of this stuff to a storage unit that no one else (Leonard) knows about??

8. Monte Good says:

I love Jim

9. Laura says:

This whole episode kind of bugged me from a tech standpoint (Yeah, I know…I know), but the big question I have is “Why, considering the kind of person Sheldon is, would he have put up with such a severely glitching laptop for as long as he did?” Even if he didn’t necessarily have a need for the latest and greatest, the screen cutting in and out would certainly severely hamper his workflow/use of the computer and have been more than a little irksome.

I mean, I get that he’s basically just devolved into a giant mess of quirks, but if the quirks can’t even be consistent then what’s the point?

10. Brendan says:

This episode is just a 20 min infomercial for Alienware laptops. For some reason, I remember product placement being more subtle.. when did they start designing whole episodes around their corporate sponsors? Last cash grab for a dying show?

• John NYC says:

Ha. Had no idea that was even a brand; I assumed it was just a coy cover.

• Lili Susanti Samsurijal says:

Hi. One possibility Sheldon may take taxi to carry his stuff (Season 4, episode 21 – The Agreement Dissection, there was a scene that Sheldon, Amy, Penny & Bernadette ride a taxi). Secondly Leonard may think Sheldon already threw the broken stuff. Just my opinion.

11. Tanja says:

I know I’m late but his bugs me. Amy didn’t keep a tissue (= paper handkerchief) she used while dissecting her first brain, she kept a bit of brain tissue (= a little bit of the brain) in a microscope slide.

Quote Amy: “Did you know I have a microscope slide with a little bit of tissue from the first brain I ever disected?”

12. Jeff Nelson says:

Question. What is the tall red and silver thing in Sheldon ‘ s storage room?

13. Melissa says:

I don’t understand why they leave the storage unit with the lid still off on that tote of pine cones, no one who is OCD would leave that lid open, bugs are going to crawl in there with the pine cones, it drives me crazy.