The Passion Live Ratings

Ratings: Passion Performs Far Below Grease: Live, as Big Shots Dominates

Fox’s live-ish Sunday broadcast of The Passion drew 6.6 million total viewers and a 1.6 demo rating, down 46 and 63 percent from what the network’s Grease: Live delivered in January (albeit when there was no Walking Dead in the mix).

In fact, the Tyler Perry-hosted musical event placed even below NBC’s Peter Pan Live, which in December 2014 delivered 9.2 mil and a 2.4, on a Thursday. TVLine readers gave The Passion an overall grade of “B+.”

Elsewhere in the ratings….

NBC | Little Big Shots dominated the Big 4 with 13.2 million viewers and a 2.6 rating, dipping 12 percent and two tenths week-to-week. The Carmichael Show (5.4 mil/1.4) was steady in the demo, while Crowded (3.9 mil/1.0) dropped sharply from its post-Voice sneak preview (6.5 mil/1.7). Game Night (2.7 mil/0.7) dipped a tenth.

RELATED Once Upon a Time Recap: The Second-Born Identity

ABC | Once Upon a Time (3.54 mil/1.1) slipped 19 and 15 percent to new series lows. The Family (2.6 mil/0.7) was down 26 and 12 percent, while Quantico (3.5 mil/1.0) dipped 12 and 9 percent, with both shows hitting series lows.

CBS | Pending adjustment due to NCAA basketball overrun, Madam Secretary (9.2 mil/1.2) and The Good Wife (7.8 mil/1.1) are both currently up a tenth in the demo. Elementary christened its new Sunday home with 5.6 mil and a 0.8, steady in audience but down two tenths in the demo vs. its final Thursday telecast, matching CSI: Cyber‘s most recent comparable outing.

Want scoop on any of the above shows? Email and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Erin says:

who cares the passion was trending on twitter all night. I loved the musical

2. A fan of TV says:

If it scored below Peter Pan then either: FOX was gun shy on proper promo, or Christianity is just another religion on its way out of favour. I’m sure it’s the latter but for the niche audience this served, they seemed to love it. Of course they would, because it told a story they already love and made it even more accessible. But I watched TWD last night, and took Denise’s preaching about living a little to heart before she was crucified by Dwight with an arrow to the skull.

• Dude says:

I would say the ridiculous success of any terrible movie with the name ‘Heaven’ in it shows that it’s not. Christians tend to turn out in droves for Christian stuff, but between this and that awful ABC show, it doesn’t seem like many of those Christians have Neilson boxes. I know they were hoping to capitalize on Easter but a Christian musical was never going to be as accessible as Grease.

3. chaosrainz says:

I enjoyed it. It was something different, the talent was amazing, and everyone did a great job. I’ll probably watch it again if it re-airs.

4. David4 says:

Because sex, drugs and rock and roll and gangs are much more relatable than some 2,000 year old fairy tale.

5. Kate says:

I have to say I was conflicted until I heard it was going to be on Netflix. Yes, I know it was Palm Sunday and some variation of this was what many people heard in church earlier in the day, but I personally got to, I get enough stored on my to be watched on my dvr or on demand list that if I added all three shows I watch on Sundays to the list, I would have been screwed. I think they could have rivaled Grease numbers if they had started at 7 like that did. Even if it ran for a half hour longer (maybe more could have been live) and FOX could have just ran a rerun or had like a discussion group after it.

6. Boiler says:

CBS continues to screw its Sunday line up and now, unfortunately, Elementary part of that. Wish they would have left it on Thursday. They scheduled a game to start that would in no way finish when prime time started yet did not say anything.

• Boiler says:

Also hopefully ABC notices that two shows not yet renewed have much larger audiences than those they have renewed. And I like Once and Quantico

• Lyn says:

Not only moved it to a new night, but delayed due to earlier programming running long. Stupid. As for The Passion, apparently the network is out of touch with how little interest millennials have in organized religion. To quote Amy on TBBT “I have no problem with the idea of a superior being, but I’m troubled by one who takes attendance”.

• Ann says:

The Passion did better than every other programming, other than Little Big Shots and the basketball tournament. I’m not counting CBS’s numbers yet, because I believe those shows are inflated due to basketball. So…that’s pretty good for a Sunday night musical considering that most younger people are out Sunday nights. I think Fox was trying to reach a family viewing audience and I’m almost certain that The Passion was a family viewing event.

• HAP says:

I mentioned in a post yesterday that the LA Times noted that the number of events such as passion plays and the like are considerably down from the past as is the funding and the attendance. So the fact that this show was even beaten by Peter Pan seems to bear out what Lyn states.

7. Dave says:

Wow @ ABC. Not a single decent performer from 8-11.

• Boiler says:

Yea and they have a couple shows, Nashville and Castle, who at least in audience are crushing these already renewed shows.

8. To be honest, I forgot about the show until I received my Entertainment Weekly on Friday. They did not promote it like they did Grease! or any of the other shows. That being said I did record it , as we watch OUAT as a family on Sundays and will be looking forward to seeing it in the next day or two.

• Jared says:

I don’t know what you’re talking about, I couldn’t get away from how many commercials they had for the special.

9. I watched it and it was only OK. Wasn’t anywhere near the production like Grease, which I think set a standard.
    While I knew the story, it was a little odd to see it using more contemporary songs. Seal singing Mad World was odd to me. The contemporary setting was OK, but given the topic, wasn’t relatable to what happened back then. I got that when Tyler started talking about the death penalty for Jesus.

10. liz says:

IT WAS SOOOOOOO PAINFULLY BAD Jesus should come back just to settle the score!

11. wrstlgirl says:

I’m loving The Family. Anyone know if this is a planned one and done? I pulled the plug on Quantico last night. It’s just completely ridiculous.

12. kmw says:

Well The Passion didn’t do as well as I thought it might but still decent compared to what FOX normally does on Sunday night. Little Big Shots doing well for NBC. Wow just ugly numbers for ABC.

13. c-mo says:

I hazard a guess that FOX is pretty happy with the numbers for The Passion; it wasn’t ever going to garner the numbers of a secular musical. Lots of potential viewers don’t want anything to do with a show that might glorify Jesus in any way, shape or form and I’m sure the Christians who watch TV on Sunday’s probably thought the show was going to be mocked and treated like a joke by FOX so they didn’t tune in. Well, it turns out the show was pretty good and some good came of it so it was definitely a win for FOX. And congrats to whoever at FOX made the suggestion as well as whoever decided it was a good idea! Easter blessings to one and all!

14. Kenneth Morgan says:

I thoroughly enjoyed this show. Great music, great casting. just like on Glee, Mr. Anders is a genius!