Bachelorette Diversity Controversy Caila

Bachelorette EP Confirms Caila's Last-Minute Uncasting? 'If It Ain't Broke...'

The Bachelorette franchise’s sidestepping of a recent casting diversity promise may have come at the 11th hour, if one follows and gives credences to a growing number of breadcrumbs.

On the heels of Reality Steve‘s Monday-morning, pre-finale report that producers originally picked Bachelor 20 castoff Caila (who is half Filipino) to be the next Bachelorette, only to then go with runner-up JoJo, tweets from series boss Mike Fleiss could also be read as suggesting a change of plans.

As pointed out by the Los Angeles Times (among others), on March 6 — shortly after Caila reportedly filmed her Bachelorette intro package — Fleiss shared that he might change up his traditional dinner for Night 1 of production, foregoing barbecue chicken for something with a more international flair:

But just days later, according to Reality Steve, Caila got a call with the bad news. And this past Wednesday, two days after “Southern sweetheart” JoJo (as she is touted in ABC’s press release) was announced as the new Bachelorette and as production on her “journey” commenced, Fleiss updated us on his dinner plan, arguing, “If it ain’t broke…”:

In January, ABC’s then-president Paul Lee said he would be “very surprised” if The Bachelorette‘s 12th cycle “isn’t diverse,” adding, “I think that’s likely to happen.” In the wake of the selection of  JoJo, ABC has declined to comment on the diversity controversy.

Do you think Mike Fleiss was “subtweeting” about a casting change-up? Would you have preferred Caila over JoJo as the next Bachelorette?

1. Are we just going to ignore the sexism and racism in comparing women to foods?

2. skipgirl16 says:

I find Mike Fleiss’ tweets disturbing

3. Lauren says:

What do you want to bet that they play up her Persian heritage that was never mentioned on The Bachelor?

4. Nick Hogan says:

Here’s the real problem with this situation:

That people watch “The Bachelor”.

• Mcfeagle says:

Yet, as such a “non-fan” of the show, you took the time to read this article and make a comment admonishing viewers of the show…hmmm.

• justsayon says:

Agreed, Nick Hogan. You are not alone.

• Melody says:

Agreed. Society has been dumbed down because of these show. History will not look kindly on them either and people need to take a good hard look in the mirror and ask themselves why they support garbage like these shows

5. Lucifer says:

Gotta love all of your hypocrisy, both the writers and commenters. You complain that even though the new Bachelorette is Persian, she “looks too white.” But when white-passing Sarah Shahi is cast to play a “diverse” Nancy Drew, you guys are all excited.

• RoseFan says:

It’s a pretty nonsensical debate. Who cares if the Bachelor/Bachelorette is diverse? It’s not like it’s a massive racial inequality that a “diverse” skin-colored person hasn’t been the lead and made an emotional wreck of themselves and a ton of other people on national TV. People are diverse because of who they are inside not the color of their skin. That being said, a lot of people wanted Marquel to be the Bachelor but they gave us Juan Pablo instead. We wanted Marquel because he was funny, charming, and made a mean cookie not because he was “black”. And, fans who really want to whine about it should maybe go watch a different reality show or UNREAL because they are doing a “diverse” Bachelor who is ironically the super charming BJ Britt.

6. RoseFan says:

BBQ Chicken and Thai Food? WTH, Man!

7. Bryan says:

Thai food? Really? At least say adobo. Or balut.

8. Simon says:

At first I was shocked by these tweets, then I realized this is from the man that brings us The Bachelorette, and all made sense. I’ve never hated a reality show as much as I hate this franchise.

9. LBLK says:

Who really cares?!

10. peterwdawson says:

I really love how this turned into something. ABC, despite some hiccups, is actually decently diverse right now in terms of show leads, casts, etc. The Bachelorette probably could have coasted by just casting without even bringing up race, ABC able to point to some of the other shows if it came up. Instead, they basically grabbed a shovel.

11. Yolie says:

This is a really crappy thing to do to Caila. Also, on AtFR, they mentioned the Bachelorette being someone unexpected. Caila had been touted as landing the job from a bunch of sites. They could have let her down without smashing her pride and stomping on her dignity. Really disgusting behavior, ABC.

12. Julia says:

At least clarify that the real issue is that fans were not excited at all about Caila being the Bachelorette. She has no charisma and comes off very fake, so they would have lost viewers. JoJo is a much better choice.

13. Sara says:

Are you kidding me…he actually said “if it ain’t broke”. Wow! LOL! What a spineless tool.

14. Lisa Pelton says:

What on earth is happening here- chicken, Thai flavor,,,despite being the Bachlorette it is heinous to make these gross racial inferences. Nice way to show that you are scum.

15. Jen says:

Calia and JoJo are both half Asian…how is being Filippino more diverse than being Iranian?

16. Ricki Konkel says:

Thrilled to hear it’s JoJo. Carla was a confused mess the whole season. NE error understood Ben’s interest. I for one had decided not to watch the Bachelorette next season if it werected Caila. This coming from a die hard franchisee fan. Doing great the happy dance!

17. Phillip says:

Matt, in what world is JoJo not diverse?

18. abby says:

poor Kayla. dumped twice!!!

19. kn1231 says:

I’ve said it once, and I’ll say it again…. they should not be choosing a lead solely based on diversity, they should be choosing a lead who fans will like and root for (and I am a non-Caucasian person). That was Jojo, and she was 100% the right pick for Bachelorette. I really don’t understand Caila being talked up as this diverse person, when in reality she is just as diverse as Jojo. Lastly, those tweets were disturbing and should have never been posted.

20. Kim Lau says:

I am happy, very happy with the choice of Jo Jo. Actually I think it’s really stupid that race was even brought into this. I was totally happy with Caila, until The final Rose. I watched poor Jo Jo and fell in love with her even more. That should be the only reason we pick anybody.

21. Alta says:

Caila – jojo was not always nice. I might not watch. What unlucky guy gets to propose.

22. Rob says:

I think Mike Fleiss needs to stop tweeting.

23. stacy Humphrey says:

I am THRILLED with the switch up. I swore if the next Bachelorette was caila, I wasn’t going to watch it. And I wasn’t alone. All of my Batchelor Fantasy friends felt the exact same. We were HORRIFIED to hear they picked her. She really can’t get much more annoying than she already is! I not only lover Jojo, but I can’t WAIT to see how many champagne bottleso she can down before her iron fisted husband catches her!!! Ohhhh…and the brothers!!! I just can’t WAIT!!! Good call guys. I hope I never have to see caila And her mustard pants wearing father as long as I LIVE!!!

• stacy Humphrey says:

I sure wish I’d have re- read and spell checked that before I hit send….i got over excited. Hope you can read between the lines!!

24. Mary fisher says:

Jojo great pick. For new batchelorette.

25. Carol L DeMello says:

I think caila should of been the bacherlotte. I would’ve choose her. I watched this show all the time and calls is well deserved to be the next bacherlotte.

26. Anne Williams says:

Glad to see Jo Jo selected. Nothing wrong with the other one but Jo Jo stole our hearts and seem to be very mature in her reactions.

27. Mary says:

I would have preferred Caila

28. happy2binjoy says:

I like Cailia and was hoping she would have been chosen. JoJo may be a bit boring.

29. Mary Gregg says:

No way. I hated Camila.

30. Mari says:

Both of them are diverse… But i prefer Caila. Jojo is a nice girl but i think she is boring.

31. Jojo says:

I would have loved to see Caila be the next bachelorette! She matured so much on the show. She is beautiful, funny, and honest. What would be so bad about having more diversity on the show?