GREY'S ANATOMY Ratings

Ratings: Grey's Tops Night as March Madness Dunks CBS' Numbers

Grey’s Anatomy this Thursday drew 7.9 million total viewers and a 2.1 rating, holding steady in the demo to win the night, with CBS in March Madness mode.

ABC’s Scandal (6.5 mil/1.6) dipped a tenth to a new series low, while the How to Get Away With Murder finale (5.5 mil/1.4) was steady. HTGAWM however was down 34 and 46 percent from its season opener and off 39 and 50 percent from its Season 1 finale.

All three #TGIT dramas added viewers to deliver their best audiences since their Feb. 11 midseason premieres.

Elsewhere in the ratings….

CBS | NCAA men’s hoops coverage averaged 4.2 mil/1.3 during primetime, down 49 and 32 percent from last Thursday’s scripted line-up.

RELATED Keep or Cut? Vote on the Fate of Elementary, Mom and Other ‘Bubble’ Shows

NBC | You, Me and the Apocalypse (2.8 mil/0.6) rose 16 percent and a tenth, while Shades of Blue (5 mil/1.0) was steady leading out of a Blacklist rerun.

FOX | American Idol (8.1 mil/1.7) ticked down in the demo to a Thursday low for the final season.

1. AD says:

Grey’s popularity continues to baffle me. It’s a great show but many great shows lose momentum. I never thought it’d be THIS strong in the 12th season. Amazing! Super psyched for next week. Bring me all the Japril. LOVE them.

• Hensel987 says:

I am surepised too! But am so happy as well. I love Japril too! I don’t care how many haters there are.

• AD says:

Pfft.. I couldn’t care less about the haters. Most people I know love them & I’m loving all the screentime they’re getting. Sarah & Jesse are nailing it too.

• Gul says:

Yaay for Grey’s! Super impressive. I absolutely love Japril too. They have AMAZING chemistry and theyre the only couple I care about on the show. I hope they dial back the angst now though, it’s getting tiring. Hopefully they can find a way to be happy about this baby and it heals them from their loss of Samuel.

2. MA says:

CBS sells the games in aggregate with TNT, TBS, and Tru (same commercial load, one rating combined reported out), so that number is not representative of how they are selling or monetizing it.

• drhenning says:

Actually, Turner is paying more than CBS for March Madness games. 3 out of 4 are Turner cable outlets. Plus people have streaming options..

3. Scandal’s downfall is drowning and taking How to Get Away Murder with it. It’s sad for HWGAM because this season, it was on fire (despite slow-burn finale)

• bigdede says:

I know right! HTGAWM is hitting it out the park but since it comes on after Scandal, the people who have stopped watching Scandal aren’t coming back to watch HTGAWM. It’s shame. They should move HTGAWM and Scandal time slots

4. BP V. says:

Grey’s just won’t die. Not when Arizona did what she did (woohoo.) Also, Why do I get this feeling that CBS simply can NOT catch a break during Thursdays?

• KLS says:

Not sure what you mean by CBS not getting a break for last night. They count viewers on all 4 broadcasts (CBS, trueTv, TBS, TNT). And their ads get seen all day from 12pm – 12 am. Trust me, they are making a ton of money off of the tournament, way better then their regular Thursday night shows.

5. wrstlgirl says:

HTGAWM was awesome last night. We got some good answers to some of the mysteries and a great set up for season 3.

6. kmw says:

Grey’s just keeps on rolling. Too bad for HTGAWM I would have thought they would have gone a bit more for their finale

7. Mr. Tran K says:

Scandal continues to go from bad to worse this season and there’s a reason why people including me gave up watching all the craziness we’ve seen from the series.