OF KINGS AND PROPHETS Ratings

Ratings: Kings and Prophets Crumbles, Cementing Imminent Cancellation

ABC’s Of Kings and Prophets this Tuesday drew just 2.4 million total viewers and a 0.5 demo rating (per finals), tumbling 27 and 37 percent from its soft debut.

For those keeping score, time slot predecessor Wicked City did 2.4 and a 0.7 in Week 2, and only lasted one episode thereafter.

Opening ABC’s night, Fresh Off the Boat (4.1 mil/1.1) was down 14 and 21 percent, this first Tuesday of Daylight Savings Time, while The Real O’Neals (3.5 mil/1.0) dipped 10 percent and a tenth. Agents of SHIELD (2.9 mil/1.0) slipped 16 percent and a tenth to new series lows.

Elsewhere in the ratings….

FOX | New Girl (2.3 mil/1.0) slipped 15 percent and two tenths to series lows. Brooklyn Nine-Nine (2 mil/0.8) and The Grinder (1.5 mil/0.6) were steady.

CBS | The 300th episode NCIS (15.1 mil/2.0) hit a season low in audience while steady in the demo (and earning an average grade of “A-“ from TVLine readers). New Orleans (12 mil/1.6) and Limitless (5.6 mil/1.1) were steady.

NBC | The Voice (11.2 mil/2.7) slipped 11 and 10 percent from Monday night. Leading out of that, Crowded‘s sneak preview retained 6.5 mil/1.7 (matching the combined demo of Limitless and Kings and Prophets), while a second episode did 5.1 mil/1.4. TVLine readers gave the sitcom sampler an average grade of “C+.”

1. Boiler says:

I guess we will see tonight how Nashville returns but no way should it be cancelled if AoS renewed.

• tvjunkie says:

That might be true, if ratings were the only factor. I don’t know why some people such as yourself continue to think ratings are the only factor in renewals and cancellations. That said I would like to see Nashville return as well.

• rowan77 says:

People say that every year and yet it gets renewed. It’s owned by ABC Studios which means they have a stake in it’s overseas and syndication rights. Lots of shows that have middling ratings in the US, but are selling well overseas continue on the air. The network doesn’t worry as much about the financial loss because the big picture is their umbrella company (Disney) is making bank.

2. wrstlgirl says:

Well I didn’t think Kings was that bad but I’m not surprised. These types of shows generally don’t do well.

3. kmw says:

Bad night for networks. Not surprised about Kings. Surprised that NCIS went down in household, and just sad for FOX’S lineup.

4. Mr. Tran K says:

Kings and Prophets would’ve been great as a “cable series”.

5. tvjunkie says:

Fox should cancel its entire tuesday lineup and try something people might actually want to watch.

• Boiler says:

So ratings do matter here huh?? I like to watch all the FOX Tuesday comedies. As to your Nashville comment, from what I understand the network has alternate sources of making money on the show. I guess the fact that they are going on tour this spring must mean it will be somewhere next fall

• tvjunkie says:

Well when ratings are as bad as Fox’s Tuesday night lineup, how are those shows profitable? Any of those shows would kill for Nashville’s numbers and as you point out, don’t have the additional revenue streams (the music) that Nashville has.

6. iakovos says:

In Ohio, we were focused on our presidential primary results. Surely that affected TV watching. There were some pre-emptions, I know. Still, ABC’s OF KINGS AND PROPHETS just is not that good. I imagine it could finish out Saturdays at 8 or some such if there are not that many hours to burn off. I miss solid scheduling and quality shows. Everything seems derivative, and nothing seems to last. No run of new episodes. No full 26-episode seasons. Lack of development. ABC may have renewed some of its shows too quickly.

7. BarryFlash says:

Shield’s ratings are terrible and yet it was renewed.

8. B says:

I really hope Limitless survives.

9. I hope Of Kings and Prophets at least finishes out its episodes, even if it’s on a different night. I think this should’ve been a limited series anyway & placed on a different network. History channel, maybe? I don’t why the 3 major networks even try anymore.

10. HAP says:

Matt- What were the numbers for Grandfathered? Last night’s episode showed that Paget Brewster and John Stamos make an amazing comedy team.

11. Curious to see how fast Of Kings and Prophets gets pulled. I won’t be surprised if it’s quickly replaced with Shark Tank repeats or some other form of filler programming in the near future.

On another ratings note, it looks like all broadcast networks sans FOX will be airing premieres on Easter this year. Given how low ratings have been on Sundays recently, that night is sure to be quite painful.

12. Carla Krae says:

Of Kings and Prophets is actually enjoyable, if anyone would look.

• DMS says:

I agree, i like Ray Winstone as Saul, and i like how they are portraying Ahinoam. I did not like how they made Rizpah a philistine spy, there is nothing to back that up. Also, Gilgal is east of Gibeah, not west. Also, they spelled Saul’s oldest daughter’s name, Merav, but, spelled David’s friend’s name as Yoab. It should be spelled, Yoav, or Joab, not Yoab.
      The show would of been better on Cable, but, I do like it, and hope more people will give it a try.