Crowded NBC

Crowded: Will You Make a Little Room For NBC's Newest Sitcom?

NBC’s rookie comedy Crowded will likely make recent college grads think twice before relocating to their parents’ basements.

After all, even if it is the most convenient and/or financially savvy option to move back in with Mom and Dad post-diploma, would you really want to live with your parents when you know that (A) they’re secretly smoking your weed, (B) they’re itching to let a few F-bombs fly every now and then, or (C) the thing they want most of all is to have frequent, spur-of-the-moment sex?

Well, in Tuesday’s series premiere of Crowded, Mike (Patrick Warburton, Rules of Engagement) and Martina (Carrie Preston, True Blood) make options A, B and C a reality.

The gist of the NBC sitcom is simple: After enjoying an empty nest for four blissful years, Mike and Martina are unexpectedly rejoined by their two post-grad daughters (played by iCarly‘s Miranda Cosgrove and Stitchers‘ Mia Serafino) who recently discovered that “being an adult is hard,” to quote Serafino’s Stella. (And, upon learning that their granddaughters are moving back home, Mike’s parents decide to postpone their plans to relocate to Florida. Have you ever heard of a more sitcom-y sitcom premise?)

In the half-hour that follows, Mike and Martina find that they miss having the place all to themselves. Now when will they openly curse? Now when will they get stoned? Now when will they knock boots in the middle of the kitchen? (Sliding trombone noise.) After tolerating their newly close quarters for a few days, they decide to gently tell their kids and in-laws that they’d like to have their alone-time back… which goes about as well as you would expect. (In short: Everyone is rightfully offended.)

Naturally, Mike and Martina feel a little guilty for being so harsh, and they decide to embrace the living situation by the end of the premiere. But if you’re skeptical about getting on board with the freshman series after viewing a premiere that relied on birth control jokes and the idiocy of Stella’s boyfriend for laughs, we wouldn’t blame you for moving out early.

But that’s just our opinion — what did you think? Grade the Crowded premiere via our poll below then hit the comments to back up your choice!

1. Kam says:

I’ll give it a couple of more episodes. I feel like this is one of those shows that will gradually get better.

• Ann says:

I was hoping the same thing. First impression is that it’s a great cast but sloppy, unoriginal writing. Hope it gets better.

2. MIke says:

I haven’t watched this show. I cannot abide Patrick Warburton. He has been playing the same boring character with the flat, monotone delivery at least since his days as Puddy (?), Elaine’s boyfriend on Seinfeld. He does the same in commercials he is in. Does he have another character? Hey, I like chocolate ice cream, but after a while I need some vanilla!

3. Mr. Tran K says:

NBC desperately needs a hit sitcom to breakthrough just like what they did with The Carmichael Show and the already renewed Superstore. Crowded may end up joining that list.

4. Kitteh says:

The premiere was rather bland. The 2nd episode was much better and i did laugh a couple of times. Not sure this one will survive in the long run.

5. Tracy288 says:

I watched 1 1/2 episodes tonight and then stopped – I deleted the second ep and removed the series recording from my PVR. There was truly nothing about it that I liked – the parents were incredibly irritating, the daughters vacuous, Carrie Preston was much funnier on The Good Wife, and Patrick Warburton really can’t act. I usually give shows 3 airings before making a judgement, but just couldn’t do it.

• Doug Henning says:

It’s funny… I did exactly the same thing last night.. I really wanted to like it since I enjoy Carrie Preston but 1-1/2 episodes was enough for me… How do good actors get involved in lame projects like this???

6. lori says:

Hilarious!

7. Kit Hamm says:

It was so funny and Miranda Cosgrove ( my girlfriend) was a great actress on crowded as icarly

8. Jason says:

Somebody get Carrie Preston out of this clunker. I’d much rather have a Good Wife spin-off with Elsbeth then some 90s sitcom rehash.

9. Belle says:

I always give a show 3-4 episodes before making judgment. It can’t get worse, remember “The Seinfeld Chronicles”? Yep, hardly anyone watched the short 1st season and it became one of the most beloved Comedy shows of all time :) TPTB and viewers should give it a chance to either catch on or not…the pilot episodes are always pretty basic and none are home runs – you gotta give it a fighting chance!!!

10. Mark Boutros says:

Predictable. Cliche. Unfunny. The writers are not worthy of their cast. It would be funnier to just have them improv and free them from the terrible writing.

11. Roger says:

It’s a cheap, unfunny, pre-canceled Modern Family clone.

12. Jeri says:

It has good actors, a lot of my favorite shows took a beat to get going. I’ll stick with it so they can work out the kinks. Hope it becomes a favorite.

13. misery chick says:

I love Patrick Warburton and the rest of the cast looks great, BUT…I refuse to watch a show that will more than likely be cancelled, especially if on NBC 😠
    I’ll just get my Patrick fix on Seinfeld 😍

14. HAP says:

There is definitely potential here, but the two episodes were very uneven. As for any renewal possibilities, Didn’t Carrie Preston already sign on to another show?

15. Toby Pike says:

absolutely hilarious, i haven’t laughed so much at a sitcom since Charlie Sheen left two and a half men! I neaely wet myself i laughed so hard at this show! Patrick Warburton is absolutely brilliant!

16. Thought it was a perfect match to what parents go through. Would not be as funny with different actors. Hope it stays on for a while.

17. Joey says:

four or five seasons would be enough I really like Patrick Warburton i need a show with him on it. it hasn’t been the same since rules of engagement ended

18. Dani says:

Really loved the show!!

19. comment says:

I come from Germany, so it was the first time I made contact with a show like that. I really love this show. Great actors and a great story. Awesome! It would be great, when german television was that great!