Supergirl Flash Crossover

Supergirl Meets The Flash: Cast, EPs Tease 'Joyous' Episode, 'Adorable' Kara/Barry Spark, Future Crossovers

Only two weeks remain until Supergirl gets a helping hand from The Flash, when the CBS drama’s March 28 episode marks its first crossover with a CW comic-book series.

But if you’ve never watched an episode of the Grant Gustin starrer, or you haven’t spent any time in National City, fret not: Supergirl‘s producers say you won’t need to binge-watch either series before the team-up.

“Obviously, you have to understand the concept of superheroes and that they can have all sorts of different kinds of powers when [The Flash] shows up,” EP Greg Berlanti told TVLine on Sunday prior to Supergirl‘s PaleyFest panel. “People will appreciate how he gets [to National City] and their journey that they take in the hour.”

Supergirl The Flash CrossoverAs previously reported, The Flash will arrive on Supergirl’s turf from an alternate universe and, in exchange for a way home, helps her battle not one but two adversaries: Silver Banshee (the alter ego of Cat Grant’s assistant, Siobhan Smythe, played by Chasing Life‘s Italia Ricci) and returning baddie Livewire (True Blood‘s Brit Morgan).

“It is the most joyous occasion to have these two superheroes together in the same place, at the same time, working together,” star Melissa Benoist effuses. “They are both so happy with their powers and what they get to do and how they get to help people, that it’s kind of infectious and exciting and upbeat and happy.”

But not everyone will be so thrilled to see the Scarlet Speedster in town. According to executive producer Ali Adler, although the two heroes enjoy “quite an adorable banter” and “immediately click,” that won’t please the newly single (and still-interested-in-Kara) James Olsen.

“We have this little rivalry, because he’s a superhero, too, and kind of hitting on my girl a little bit,” Mehcad Brooks shares. “I’m like, ‘Damn you, Barry.'”

Given the chemistry between Benoist and Gustin, Adler admits she and the producers have mulled other comic-book crossovers, depending on how successful Supergirl‘s meet-up with The Flash turns out.

“We really had an amazing time making it,” Adler says. “It was tough to juggle people’s schedules. The Flash is a busy man, but in success, we’d love to do this again.” (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Mr. Tran K says:

This should be an awesome episode come March 28th. Looking forward to it.

2. Alex says:

I don’t care about how James feels. TWO MORE WEEKS

• Mr. Tran K says:

Hope he’s going to move forward without Lucy after she learned the truth about Kara.

• Jimmy/Kara=Dead End

Bring on Brainy!

• If Indigo is Brainiac 8 and Querl Dox is Brainiac 5, since Querl and Kara are a couple, is it possible Kara and Indigo might be related? Could Kara be Indigo’s ancestor if she and Querl got married?

• Z says:

I’d rather have Kara and Indigo get together myself…

• tvjunkie says:

It’s an alternate universe so anything you know about Superman / Supergirl from the comics doesn’t necessarily apply, unless they establish this is an alternate universe that exists in the comics. Maybe you have, but I have not read where this is an Earth that has been written about in the comics. To think all your knowledge on the subject of the comics might mean absolutely nothing is rather amusing.

• They don’t have to make it an Earth in the multiverse. As I told you before, that argument you’re making doesn’t exist. If it did, then the people who bitched and moaned about Man of Steel would have made it and used it to placate their hatred of that movie.

• tvjunkie says:

Michael are you really that stupid? They already told us Supergirl and Flash/Arrow exist on separate Earths. Therefore they both exist in a multiverse, by the definition of multiverse. Therefore the rest of what you said i null and void.

• Hytecker says:

TvJunkie, it’s a show based on a comic book character. One from a different planet that can lift a bus and fly. It depends on what the writers want to do. If the ratings are good you’ll see more than one crossover. They’ll make it happen.

• Phoenix5634 says:

They’re taking some things from the superboy prime stories, just fragments and pieces so far, but will come full picture in future seasons. I can give a few examples if you like

• I’m sure that if it appeared in a comic other than one with the name Supergirl on it, this show will use it.

Just tonight it took from Superman III.

What examples did you have in mind?

• Ws says:

Kara and Querl were never really a couple.. they flirted a bit but it was never anything serious in the comics.

• Phoenix5634 says:

Okay, bare with me, I don’t know the comics as well as you, and what I’m going to say is modified to fit the show vs the more elaborated stories of the source material.
          Ok so first I’d like to note Kara being stuck inside the Phantom zone, or a limbo of sorts, much like Superboy Prime was trapped inside the speedforce, a limbo, which preserved his much stronger an wider range of powers from the Silver age. And they’ve sure done a good job making Supergirl out to be better than Superman in this show, they even pointed out she might actually be faster, and that’s likely just the tip of that ice berg. Also there’s Reactron, and I know he’s his own character and villain in his own right… But the technology in his suit could theorically be modified to make a very similar super suit for the show, that Superboy Prime built using pieces of the Anti-Monitor to harness extra yellow radiation, since anti-monitor is pretty unlikely on the show.
          Also Earth Prime is supposed to be a centerforged universe, the universe basically where our world, the readers/ watchers world exists, with no supervillians with superpowers. But this is the way I think the show is taking it, there still are no supervillians, at least none that originated on earth, or that would have originated if it weren’t for other cosmic species coming to earth (like everyone from the phantom zone jail, the white and green marshians, and maxwell lords actions and motivations ). And it would even support the Earth prime theory just by the show being based in a news writing building, it’s kind of like part of the concept for Earth Prime right there if you know what I mean. Also there’s a lot more that helps explain this with the transition between Superboy Prime and Superman Prime over the years and law suits, but I’m not even going to try to explain that part lol. Also think of a Crisis, in a couple seasons. Let me know what you think Sacal, I’m interested to hear your opinion.

• elizabethp056 says:

False, Karolsen forever!

• Jason says:

and yet here you are commenting on how much you don’t care lol. anyways I like James and Kara and barry.

• Hytecker says:

Right? She has more chemistry with Barry than she has with James. Trump and Hillary have more chemistry than Kara and Jimmy!

3. Dean says:

Still wish Kara would be able to meet Oliver someday. But I get why she and Barry would seem to be more compatible having powers for starters but both have morals of right and wrong when it comes to crimefighting opposed to Oliver who despite now being a little more lighthearted would still go the extra violent mile on his enemies.

4. Phun says:

CANNOT WAIT! Been looking forward to this episode as soon as they announced it. :)

5. R.O.B. says:

So Cat’s assistant has an evil alter-ego. Good to know… before finding that out from whatever episode was going to reveal that to us…

• Steve says:

I know, right? Kind of pissed that was spoiled.

• Josh says:

When the character was announced it was mentioned how she was Sliver Banshee in the comics

• Luli says:

Siobhan becoming Silver Banshee has been known for a long time now.

• wgsecretary says:

Well, I didn’t know it until I read this article. And, I do tend to read a lot of entertainment news. So, it’s likely there were plenty of viewers who did not know this.

• Skyler says:

I did not know this either. I wish it hadn’t been spoiled!

• Gail says:

Anyone who doesn’t want spoilers should not read TVline or any similar websites because they always contain spoilers. Seems kind of silly to complain about spoilers on a site known for spoilers.

• wgsecretary says:

I agree. Which is why I wouldn’t consider this thread really a complaining thread. It was just stated in such a matter of fact way that it made me wonder if I’d missed something. Usually, they are better at spoiler warnings. If something hasn’t aired or has recently aired, TVLine is very good at warning for spoilers. They are not a site whose goal is to spoil people who don’t wish to be spoiled. Personally, I consider it a minor spoiler. But, still, it’s surprising they didn’t give some warning. They do usually give a warning so people aren’t randomly spoiled.

• wgsecretary says:

Also, I’m all caught up on both shows. So, I wouldn’t have expected to be spoiled on something while reading this particular article.

• jj says:

It’s an article describing an upcoming episode. The entire article would therefore be a spoiler. That’s just common sense.

• wgsecretary says:

I have common sense. What is it with people’s need to insult each other? A spoiler is generally a major plot point, such as a new villain. My main point is that TVLine usually is good about stating that something contains a spoiler. I understand that this is a TV news site and I may on occasion be spoiled. I’m not screaming about it. I’m simply stating TVLine has excellent spoiler warnings most of the time. It would have been nice to have one here. And, I disagree that the whole article is a spoiler. Knowing what the show is going to be about is not a spoiler. But, stating a new villain is. It doesn’t matter if it’s been announced elsewhere. Obviously, multiple people have managed to stay spoiler free on that particular topic. Likely, we avoided articles with spoiler warnings…which this article should have had.

6. coco says:

Can’t wait. Grant and Melissa are going to be great together.

• acurat says:

Considering they worked on Fox’s Glee and sang their way through a few episodes, really not all that surprising since they got along well there as well.

7. Gail says:

Sounds like they should have called the episode ‘Glee” since everyone is so happy.

8. Gail says:

The TV Supergirl seems much like an older version of the pre crisis Supergirl than the Supergirl that is currently in the comics. I wonder if DC will reboot the comics Supergirl to be more like the TV version.

9. Jared Munson says:

Am I the only one who reads that as the Flash is actually from an alternate world and Supergirl is on earth prime?

10. Joey Padron says:

Good scoop about the crossover episode. So excited to see it in two weeks!

11. Cas says:

Not even The Flash could make me watch this show lol. Enough crossovers to prop up sucky shows.

12. peter says:

james is the worst character of the yearin any series … ” new series ” i don’t give a damm about him

• Jason says:

Thats such an exaggeration. You sound personally hurt by him or something

• Luli says:

agree, don’t like him. bores the hell of me.

• Skyler says:

Be that as it may, the fella who acts as James is extremely hot so that makes up for the character’s presence on the show. I’m looking forward to when he and Kara finally say how they feel about each other and get things moving.

• Thanh says:

I agree. Wish they’d get rid of this Jimmy Olsen. I’m perfectly happy with Supergirl’s team being just the commander-from-Mars guy, the sister, and the tech geek best friend.

13. Tom says:

Why did they have to do the crossover on the bad show instead of the good one? Cisco’s reaction to Supergirl alone would have elevated the cross over to a level that putting it on Supergirl can’t get close to achieving.

14. Ms Thang says:

So excited to see the Flash on Supergirl.
    But please no to arrow!!!!! Hell NO!

15. elizabethp056 says:

Ugh, I love James(I really do) but why do they have to give him the jealous route in the crossover episode of all episodes? Everyone knows fans are going to be super excited to see Barry in Supergirl’s world therefore by default James is gonna look like the bad guy. It’s like the writers are deliberate trying to have fans hate James!

• elizabethp056 says:

• KCC says:

I’m certain it will be the cute type of jealousy, not the creepy type. I think anyone can understand James being jealous of the Flash. It’s not going to be an on going obsessive thing, because it will only one week then the Flash will be gone. It’s just being used to reinforce the notion that James has feelings for Kara.

• Hytecker says:

I dislike James and wouldn’t have a problem if they sent him packing but that being said, everybody is capable of jealousy. It’s a human emotion. If people never get jealous it means they don’t care.

16. Phoenix5634 says:

Super Flash baby lol

17. The Carpooler says:

No recap from last night’s episode, so I’ll just leave this here:

Wow, Melissa looked fantastic on the episode, and she played the red-kryptonite influenced character amazingly!

18. Phoenix5634 says:

Did tvline make their Censors stupid recently ? I’m getting really sick of typing messages this week that don’t even get posted becuz something, I don’t even know what, is being censored, so the whole message is as well. Extremely annoying…

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Found. Restored. Callllllmmmmmm.

• Phoenix5634 says:

Thank you Matt! Haha Calm :) sorry about that, just censors when they’re censoring nothing can be a real pet peeve lol, especially when it’s a long message, ya know. Appreciate the help, feel free the erased these ones if you like.

19. Hytecker says:

Even Barry has more chemistry with Kara than Mehcad Brooks.