Gotham Baccarin McKenzie

Gotham's Morena Baccarin Welcomes Baby Girl, Teases Pregnant Lee's Fate

Morena Baccarin‘s real-life maternity leave might not necessitate a full-on disappearing act for Gotham‘s Dr. Lee Thompkins.

Baccarin on March 2 gave birth to her and co-star Ben McKenzie’s baby girl, named Frances Laiz Setta Schenkkan, USA Today reports — but just days prior, the actress shared with TVLine that expectant Lee won’t in turn vanish completely from the canvas.

Having already filmed her last pre-maternity leave scenes as of Gotham‘s winter premiere party held Feb. 29, she said, “I hung in there as long as I could! But I was not able to wrap the season. We definitely can’t shoot around this,” pointing to her belly.

Even so, Baccarin assured, “Lee’s around. She doesn’t go anywhere permanently” — though her time spent with baby daddy Jim Gordon might be nearing its end, as they clash over his obsessive work ethic and murderous lies.

“The rest of the season does not bode well for them,” Baccarin previewed. “Lee has been trying to be there for him and he’s got the impossible job of enforcing law in a lawless world, but she might be reaching her limit. It will get worse for them before it gets better.”

Want more scoop on Gotham, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Daisy says:

I’m holding on tight to the “before it gets better” part.

2. steven says:

Please don’t have her miscarry or have an abortion.

3. Chuck says:

In the comics, Lee is kind of a surrogate mother to Bruce, and they did hint at a bit of flirtation between her and Alfred so they could take the character in that direction on the show.

4. grys03 says:

Love Morena & her performance in Gotham is rock-solid. She is probably the only stable character in the Gotham with occasional lapses from Donal (Harvey). But I get no chemstry from either of them which is weird considering real-life.
    I am curious though, when will David Mazouz (Bruce) start to bulk up? The fighting & ‘smarts’ are reasonably easy to fake but there just ain’t any meat on David.

5. touchstone says:

With all that’s been invested in building a relationship and now a child involved, and I do hope that there’s no tampering with the unborn child, I sure hope that there’s “better” coming and soon. We know very little about Gordon’s background, but we do know that he saw his father die when he was just a child and grew up without him. It would be important for him to be a good father himself, not to mention I’d hate to see him have to start over with other characters. There’s enough unsettled in Gotham, so why not have some kind of stable family?

6. J says:

I didnt know, they were together in real life. Good for Ben, shes beautiful and talented.

7. Hannah says:

That’s gonna be an ugly kid with those 2 faces. I kid! Congrats!

8. mimozka0293 says:

I hope the child will be a girl. I’m hoping for Barbara but somehow I’m not sure this is where they’ll go what with the connotation with Barbara Keane. Maybe they’ll have Jim Jr first. Hopefully he won’t be a psycho