Castle Season 8 Series Finale

Did Castle Cram Reveal? Is Originals Age Gap Icky? Does Good Wife Have It Great? Is SNL Over Hill? And More Qs

We’ve got questions, and you’ve (maybe) got answers! With another week of TV gone by, we’re lobbing queries left and right about shows including Sleepy Hollow, Castle, Pretty Little Liars and Scandal!House of Cards

1 | Anyone else catch the Kimmy Gibbler doppelgänger on House of Cards?

2 | Does the age difference between The Originals‘ centuries-old Kol and teenage Davina bother you, too, even though it’s never been an issue with Damon/Elena, Elijah/Hayley, etc.?

3 | Was Grimm‘s “I slept with Adalind” line — blurted out by Nick to a shocked Monroe — one of the week’s best examples of comedic timing?

4 | Were you surprised that Sleepy Hollow had Abbie admit her symbol fixation to Ichabod so quickly? And wouldn’t Benjamin Franklin nemesis Japeth Leeds have been a more intriguing Big Bad throughout the season than The Hidden One and Pandora have been?

5 | Has there ever been a more unappealing showmance name than “Blodie” aka The Amazing Race‘s Brodie Smith + Blair Fowler?

6 | Safe to say that Saturday Night Live was saving its better material for Ariana Grande, instead of the self-described random choice of Jonah Hill? And is it even more safe to say that four-time host Hill will never join the Five-Timers Club?

7 | Which of Quantico‘s new NATs from the “upper” class — Will, Drew or Iris — will be the first to reveal a giant secret?The Family

8 | On The Family, how would a store be selling the same sneakers that Adam bought 10 years ago? And are there still Kinko’s shops for the “lesbian lifestyle blogger” to allegedly be working at?

9 | Which was the bigger shock, Walking Dead fans — how much “Not Tomorrow Yet” managed to make you like the previously loathsome Gabriel, or how much it made you dislike Abraham?

10 | Were you relieved that Shameless‘ Debbie, for once, wasn’t a fool about a boy and walked away from that guy with the pregnancy fetish?

11 | On Madam Secretary, did you fall as instantly in love with Stevie’s new boyfriend as Elizabeth and Henry (and we) did?The Good Wife

12 | Riddle us this, Good Wife watchers: Who goes into a public bathroom and doesn’t lock the door behind them? Is Alicia living her best life or what, indulging in naked Jeffrey Dean Morgan and pizza? And is Mike Tascioni too kooky or just the right amount of weird?

13 | Our grasp of ’60s vernacular is admittedly a little weak, so we’re posing this to writers of 11.22.63: Was the expression, “Shut your cake hole” really around back then?

14 | For Castle fans who knew the “missing time” reveal was coming this week, did you find yourself checking your watch wondering just how late into the episode the info dump would get squeezed in?

15 | Did you giggle during Damien‘s “death by sinkhole” interlude — or are we the only ones going to Hell for reveling in the absurdity of Kelly’s hideous fate?

16 | TVLine reader Wordsmith wonders: “What are the chances that Dancing With the Stars’ Ginger Zee is not going to dance to ‘It’s Raining Men’ at some point during the season?” And “mmm whatcha say” the chances are that former O.C. resident Mischa Barton dances to Imogen Heap?Pretty Little Liars

18 | Following Xtina’s epic, impromptu rendition of “I Put a Spell on You” on The Voice, we’re wondering if NBC should consider a weekly concert series in which the “Beautiful” singer takes requests from the audience?

AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.19 | Is Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.‘s Brett Dalton going to look scary like that all season? And would sex between Lincoln and Daisy/Quake be electrifying, or would they feel the earth move?

20 | On American Crime, shouldn’t hacktivist Sebastian have known better than to leave a webcam uncovered?

21 | Sure, it makes for fun TV, but would Scandal’s Abby — being the White House press secretary — really be in charge of micromanaging the president’s booty calls?

22 | Was the below a scene from Grey’s Anatomy, or Hannibal? Also, just as with screaming babies and building fire alarms, does TV overestimate how much we want to hear prolonged amounts of bitchy cheerleaders?
Grey's Anatomy

23 | How to Get Away With Murder fans, place your bets before next week’s finale: Who really murdered the Hapstalls — Caleb, Catherine, Philip, that judgmental maid or someone else altogether? Also, did Viola Davis pretty much lock up the 2016 Emmy with that heartbreaking hospital scene?American Idol J. Lo

24 | What in bikini/apron hybrid hell was J.Lo wearing on American Idol? Did she accidentally think she was appearing on the Victoria’s Secret Swimsuit Special?

25 | Could Legends of Tomorrow have afforded to be 10 percent more clear in establishing whether Vandal recognized Kendra upon “meeting” her in 1958? And did thes winged hawkbeasts evoke Oz’s flying monkeys?

26 | If Big Bang Theory is going to devote this much time to Raj and Emily’s breakup, shouldn’t the show have devoted just as much (if not more) time to their relationship when it was happening?

27 | Are late-night TV hosts trying hard enough to have fun at Democratic frontrunner Hillary Clinton’s expense? Like, at a certain point, is targeting Trump again and again just lazy?

Hit the comments with your answers — and any other Qs you care to share!

1. David4 says:

I have a question. Who takes a picture with a dead baby?

• Wendy says:

It isn’t that uncommon. I accidentally found the baby memorial section on YouTube. Depressing as hell, but there are lots of videos up loaded.
      For the record:
      I only watched about a half minute of one of them before I realized what it was.
      I was trying to find something on twins for my friend expecting her first baby. I’m not that sick and twisted that I actually looked this up.
      Also in the Victorian period it was common to take photos of the dead as a way to remember them.

• JenM says:

It’s actually way more common than you’d think. I have photographer friends who do this as a volunteer thing – they get called in by the hospital when a baby is stillborn to take pictures of the baby and the baby with it’s family so they have something to look back at if they choose. They also get called for babies that die that have been critically ill since birth to a point that the family never really got to see their child not hooked up to a bunch of tubes and machines. I agree, that on the surface it seems odd to me (especially not being a parent or having lost a child), but I can also understand where someone in that position would want SOMETHING to look at and remember what their child looked like since their time with them was so brief.

• Annie says:

Lots of bereaved parents do. There’s a whole network of on call photographers who go to hospitals dor this purpose. It helps parents honor the child and grieve the awful loss.

• Maryann says:

If that is the only picture of their child they will ever have, it makes sense. And if the baby just died, it likely looks as if it is sleeping.

• Marci says:

It makes perfect sense to me too. If I had a baby that was stillborn or died after birth, I would want a picture.

• Jazz73 says:

When it is your baby you do. My Parents have my sister and me, but buried two babies. We have pictures of them. They are gone, but are still your family.

2. tallsy says:

6. I don’t think the problem was Jonah Hill who seemed game enough. If he has another big project, he’ll join the five timers club.
    15. Damien was a dud. I chuckled at the quicksand scene. Also, Damien always has a lost puppy expression on his face. Pull yourself together Spawn of Satan.

3. Chuck says:

I said the same thing about Hill after that episode, and I also questioned the existence of Kinko’s (which are kind of still around but as FedEx stores).

4. Curly Girly says:

#13: Googled it: “Shut your cake-hole” slang expression is of UK origin, dating from the middle of the 20th century. It was widely used in the UK until about 1970s and, although somewhat archaic now, it is still used occasionally. Hunt and Pringle record it in their 1943 reference book Service Slang:

“Cake hole, the airman’s name for his or anyone else’s mouth.”

• ScottJ says:

Some sources say the phrase was first used in Yorkshire (UK) in 1914. I have ancient aunties that still use it even now.

• Wordsmith says:

It seems like the sort of saying that could have been invented any time after the invention of cake. If you told me that it was a colorful turn of phrase coined in a Shakespearean comedy, I wouldn’t be entirely shocked.

5. annek says:

About Castle. I was checking my watch for various reasons. When was the big reveal? When was it going to be over? (boring) When was Kate going to appear as advertised in preview? When was she going to talk to the boys about her relationship as teased in some articles? When were they going to even mention her name? When was Hayley going to get off my TV screen?

6. If someone gets electrocuted during Laisy sex (ugh), that’s not going to end well for either of them.

7. Luis says:

7. This is the thing i hate about “Quantico”(as well as “HTGAWM,” and “Scandal-” there are no straight men, they’re all punch lines – everybody’s got a secret, they’re all just standing in line, waiting for the big “dun duh DUH!!!!” moment
    12. I’m still trying to get over Eli eavesdropping on the grand jury in the men’s room! is this really how the Kings want TGW to go out?
    14. It feels like this entire season of “Castle” has been one afterthought after another.
    19. Exactly hown long have you been waiting to use that Daisy/Lincoln line?

8. BrightLight says:

1. I was too freaked out about finding out the hostage takers were supposedly in my hometown to notice.
    6. In my county, there are no locks on the public courthouse restroom supposedly for “safety” reasons. (I assume so no one can go in there and lock it and build a bomb in there?) There are locks on the actual stalls though.
    13. Still haven’t watched “11.22.63” yet, but I think “shut your cake hole” was a British expression that was first used in the 50s or 60s because I once googled “shut your pie hole” after watching “This Boy’s Life” and read it.
    17. The onscreen texts on PLL are getting on my nerves. I liked it much better when the messages were on their phones. Does this mean in five years all our texts will be public in the air for everyone to see? ;)

9. Stephanie says:

Castle episodes this season always make me check my watch. I am always hoping for time left for the actual show I love to appear. So far it hasn’t. Only the Nathan and friends fun and exciting comedy hour.

10. B says:

#2 – No. There is no human who is going to be age appropriate for a vampire. What about Klaus and Caroline? Or Angel and Buffy? She was in high school. So how are Kol and Davina a problem?

• Noel Snow says:

Technically there was no age gap between Aidan and Josh, but I get your point. Most vampire shows imply that you end up locked forever in the age you were when you died. Kol will never really grow up.

• Brent Clark says:

I think the problem with Kol and Davina is that Davina looks like she is around 16 while this version of Kol looks like he is close to 30. The previous Kol looked like he was still in high school.

• Sara says:

I agree for the most part.

I do think Damon/Elena was a bit much at the start (Elena we were told was 17 and Damon was turned at 25). A 17/18 year old dating a 25 year old is a bit of an age problem. But the bigger issue for me has always been that the Salvatores went after her because she looked like Katherine. If she wasn’t a doppelganger would it have happened? Probably not.

Kol is supposed to be 19, and Davina is also supposed to be 19 so mentally they’re the same age. Vampires are stuck at the age they were when they died mentally IMO.

Elijah/Hayley is the worst ship and creeps me out, but it’s not because of the age gap.

11. Wordsmith says:

Yay! Thanks for the shout-out, TVLine!

12. 17 | Pretty Little Liars‘ demonstration of how text messages travel through the air was totally random, but did you also find it oddly educational?

It shows that once you send a text message, it ain’t coming back and it’s on record. Fits with the narrative at the time. Hannah has a plan and she’s sticking to it.

Hahahahaha I see what you did there

13. Loni says:

Yes! J Lo’so dress was just plain awful!

14. dale says:

Killing one person does not forgive how horrible Gabriel has been. It was one kill, he is getting used to the world around him, but he has a long way to go before I would like him.

I also don’t dislike Abraham. He made his choice, he did it poorly, he is clearly not a good breaker-upper, but I still dont dislike him. In that world someone who will second guess themselves in danger is a lot more unlikable than a man who doesnt want to be with his girlfriend anymore (looking at Morgan)

• Wordsmith says:

It wasn’t so much the fact that Gabriel killed somebody, it was the WAY he did it. Shooting a guy = a few points. Quoting a biblical verse and then shooting a guy like a badass = Sam Jackson cool points.

15. Marcie says:

Actually, Stevie’s boyfriend on Madam Secretary seemed too good to be true. I’m suspicious he’s a spy. (Do I watch too much TV?)

16. Magali says:

27. Considering how every day Trump keeps giving them gold material, you cannot fault the talk shows writers for going after the buffoonery that is the Trump campaign….

• cuius says:

Should imagine the Trump camp is lapping it up – the more mentions of his name the better from their point of view – as Jeb! showed, you can’t buy that publicity

17. MSW says:

11. Yes, yes I did. which makes me nervous. I’m not believing in this show we can have just a one note pleasant character; which makes me wonder if something tragic will happen to him or if he has some secret motive. Either way, I’ll enjoy it while it lasts and hope I’m wrong.

18. Victoria says:

27 – I watched an episode of Samantha Bee and she mostly made fun of the Republicans but still had a segment making fun of Democrats. As an independent I thoroughly enjoyed it.

19. Stacy says:

26 – BBT – Yes! it’s like watching friends who were never that into each break up, but are unable to cut the cord. Ugh. Besides, Clare is immediately more interesting.

• Marci says:

I never got into Raj’s relationship with Emily, because there was so little time spent on it. And I agree–Clare is much more interesting.

20. Tom says:

~
    I prefer not to think about them together. I mean sure it could be seen coming from last year, but……..I DO NOT LIKE LINCOLN

21. Bwhit says:

2) I guess I’ve grown immune to that as a viewer of this show. My question was with the two declarations from Cami and Haley to Klaus and Elijah. Can we really even take that seriously since they all have intense feelings for each other and belong to the immortal club? I mean after awhile those two may want to rethink telling the brothers to kick rocks given the fact that they aren’t going anywhere for the next couple of centuries unless they get murdered, and are making decisions from a place of fear and guilt. Plus Haley said ‘I love you Elijah’ not ‘I loved you’… That stuck out to me.

25) Yes to the Vandal Savage Q. I even rewound to the beginning to see if they explained something about that…. Nope.

22. Luli says:

28. The 100. Are we stil mad Lexa is dead? YES. Are we excited it just got renewed ?? SO FREAKING EXCITED

23. Maryann says:

15. I don’t watch that much horror, so the tar pit scene on Damien came across to me as genuine horror. And I am loving the show so far. I like the fact that Damien is truly three dimensional and struggling against his fate. The show would be of no interest to me whatsoever if he were simply a flat, one dimensional evil.

24. Marci says:

Yes on the first question. I hope her asking him for help means more quality time between the two of them.

And yes again. The Hidden One and Pandora have been a giant bore.

25. Marci says:

Viola Davis had her Oscar for The Help stolen out from under her, so a second-in-a-row Emmy for HTGAWM would go a long way in making up for it.

26. Hamish says:

#24. I think Annie Barrett (@AnnieBarrett) nailed it on Twitter when she referred to J. Lo’s outfit as pink booberalls.

27. liame says:

12. Dumbest episode to date, 26. So true.

28. Hedy S. says:

10. I thought, at first, that he was baby trafficker, who would woo Debs, then steal the baby and “adopt” him or her out to the highest bidder. That is how ultra creepy he was.

29. Mark says:

26. A million times yes! I was exciting when they announced that Emily was going to be a recurring character on the show this year, but they’ve hardly used her, even in the break up. I think we saw more of her last season.

30. leo says:

Now that’s the way to do it. No heartache, no angst, the CW renews everything.

31. George H. says:

22 – Funny that the dude in the pic has his leg in the middle of the table. Just doesn’t look right, or unless that’s his manparts and got both legs cut off, lol. Also, it doesn’t line up with his hips unless he has unusually long thighs.

32. sanchopanza says:

3. Grimm – Yep, that was a surprise. But fun.

4. Sleepy Hollow – Very surprised, but pleased. It shows the deep level of trust Abby has for Crane, and they weren’t going to torture us with more unnecessary drama. (Will she turn into a villain? Will she develop powers and use them against him? Can they overcome this threat to their alliance? Tune in next week…) As to Japeth, yeah. Way over the Hidden/Pandora thing. They’re tedious Big Bad tropes, only there to be overcome, and have nothing to do with the American Revolution, which is the fun part of the show’s premise.

8. Quantico – I thought all Kinko’s were gone, too.

9. TWD – Abraham is clearly cracking up. What he said to Rosita was mean but telling. He’d adjusted to the world after zombies came along, and now there are new possibilities. He can’t handle it. Probably, though, he wasn’t all that generous a lover before.

13. 11.22.63 – Don’t trouble yourself about the vernacular. It’s hopeless. Even when I think a show is doing all right, little things creep in. Legends of Tomorrow is in 1958 and – to give only one example – a character recognized the term “freaked out”.

25. Speaking of Legends of Tomorrow, you bet, I was looking for the WW of the W! Excellent image. You’re saying you thought maybe Savage recognized Kendra, but not sure? Me too.

27. Not sure about Hilary, but no amount of targeting Trump is too much. He just keeps making the target bigger.

33. debbie says:

to change subject shut your cakejole or your piehole has been around a long time my grandmother used to say piehole (and I’m really old) it’s an English expression