The Originals Spoilers

The Originals' Nathaniel Buzolic Talks Kol's Return, Honoring Daniel Sharman

Kol Mikaelson is finally back — in the flesh! — on Friday’s The Originals (The CW, 9/8c), and I’m pretty sure Nathaniel Buzolic speaks for the entire fandom when he tells TVLine, “It’s been a long time coming.”

Like most of us, Buzolic was never really sure if we’d ever see Kol back in his original body, but there’s one thing he never doubted: “The fans of The Originals and The Vampire Diaries have been so passionate about wanting my character back in his natural body — or his real body, I should say. It’s been so flattering for me.”

Below, Buzolic previews Kol’s new lease on life, his future with Davina and how he pays tribute to Daniel Sharman’s take on the character:

TVLINE | Kol is such a fun character. What did you miss most about him while you two were apart?
I love how different he is from the other Originals; his cheekiness is an important part of the family dynamic. Every family has the black sheep — the cheeky, naughty kid that always has something to say. It’s fun playing that character because he’s unpredictable in every situation.

TVLINE | I feel like he’s the most relatable Mikaelson sibling.
Yeah, exactly. He’s the naughty, cheeky kid we all want to be, even if we’re not always brave enough to commit to the actions.

TVLINE | What would you say his priorities are now that he’s back among the living?
First of all, he’s very much indebted to Davina for not giving up on him. She’s the only character who really committed to bring him back; you’d think his brothers and sisters would have helped, but I guess they got distracted. It’s really the first time someone has put him first in a loving way, so everything falls on his love and respect for Davina.

TVLINE | I’d love to see Kol and Davina go on some nice, quiet dates — but I feel like things will be too hectic for that to happen.
[Laughs] Hey, you never know. New Orleans is an interesting place, and there’s always something going on. But I agree, I think a lot of the fans would like to see these two on a few dates.

TVLINE | Given that the Kol/Davina relationship originated with Daniel Sharman playing Kol, how did you and Danielle Campbell find your own chemistry?
I have a great admiration for Danielle; we get along really, really well, which I think made it easy to find our chemistry. I’ll admit that I didn’t watch all of Daniel Sharman’s episodes, so I had to ask Danielle a few times, “This is a reference to something Daniel did, right?” So I was like, “OK, I’ll do that for a few episodes, but then I’m bringing Nathaniel Buzolic’s Kol back permanently.” When you have two people playing one character, you kind of have to find a balance.

TVLINE | And what’s Kol’s new dynamic with his family? I imagine they’ll be surprised to see him.
It’s a really great episode. Now that the sire link has been broken, Klaus is a sitting duck. He gets into a position where he’s really relying on his family to help him overcome his enemies. As you can imagine, not many people like Klaus. He can probably count his allies on one hand. With my character’s return, he’s immediately put into a situation where he’s like, “Oh, here we go again. I’m back fixing Klaus’ problems.”

TVLINE | Dumb question: Has Kol ever met Freya?
Once, I think, during a Christmastime episode; but he didn’t know who she was at the time. So we’ve definitely interacted, but it’s still going to be one of those moments where Kol’s like, “I know this girl, but I don’t know where she’s from.” That’ll be quite an interesting discovery.

TVLINE | The Mikaelsons will have a ton of old enemies coming for them now that the link is broken. Will any of Kol’s old enemies come crawling out of the woodworks?
[Laughs] I’m sure there are some ex flames who would be upset that he’s back and in love with another girl.

And if that’s not enough to get you excited about tonight’s episode, there’s always this:

Originals fans, your thoughts on Buzolic’s return? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. B says:

I’m glad to see another Original join the gang and for Nathaniel to be back. I also liked Daniel Sharman — especially his accent — but it makes sense for Kol to be in his original body. Looking forward to the new dynamic.

2. Ari says:

Soooooo has he been upgraded to a recurring character? Will this be a permanent return or will he be dead again in a few episodes thus breaking the hearts of Kol Mikaelson fans everywhere?

3. Ella says:

Glad he’s back but hate that he’s with Davina. She’s such an awful character with her constant “I have to kill Klaus” shes had since the first episode

4. Bwhit says:

This should be fun! I like both versions of Kol. I know this will never happen but it would be hilarious to have a family dinner and for Kol to bring Davina…. How awkward :)

5. Kristen says:

So excited to have the original Kol back!!! Can’t wait to see the crazy, reckless vampire again! It’s long overdue. I think they should have brought him back ages ago to fill the void that Rebekah left. As much as I like Klaus and Elijah, their characters are so serious that sometimes I get tired of how morose and fatalistic their interactions are. Freya is also very “doom and gloom.” It was Kol and Rebekah who made the family dynamic more upbeat and entertaining so if we can at least have Kol again I think it will be a much more fun show to watch.

6. Dominique says:

he’s such a wonderful person and i’m glad he’s also about honoring daniel sharman’s portrayal, and spreading some kol/kolvina love.
    i’m so excited kol is FINALLY back, so let’s hope this season won’t end with yet another death of him.

7. Phoenix5634 says:

So glad to have Nathaniel Buzolic back as the real Kol! I’ve been waiting for this since that air head Elena somehow managed to kill him. So happy he’s back! Nothing against Sharman, but Buzolic had already pretty much perfected the character, so you had impossible shoes to fill.

8. Sammy says:

Ahhh, I find this kinda bittersweet. Buzolic was the original Kol and he was great but I really like Daniel Sharman as well! Anyway, this is good for Buzolic and hopefully Daniel Sharman will be gracing our screens elsewhere.

9. Melissa alexander says:

Love it this is what iv been waiting for hope he stays for a long time!

10. Does anyone else think it’s creepy to see Nathaniel (original Kol) and Danielle (Davina) together? The age gap bothers me. She was just a teenager a second ago and Nathaniel just seems much older than Daniel (even though they are only 3 years apart). I love Nathaniel as Kol, but not with Davina. I wish they had brought Daniel back too somehow. Then they could fight for Davina. New storyline. You’re welcome, Julie Plec.

• Jax says:

There’s actually an 11 year age difference between Nathaniel and Danielle, so the creepy vibes are definitely justified.

• Mina says:

Lol @ justified creepiness!!😂

• Kathy Tong says:

Nina and Ian have a 13 year age gap, and they actually dated. There’s nothing creepy about Danielle and Nathaniel!!!

• K Radem says:

I think the age difference is more pronounced by the fact that both Danielle Campbell and Daniel Sharman have babyish looks and youthful personalities that shine through, while Nathaniel Buzolic’s face looks more mature and he has an “old soul” feeling about him. He really does convey “I’m WAY older than you” when Kol and Davina are together.

And of course there’s always the elephant in the room: character-wise, there’s roughly a 1,000 year age difference. I often wonder what these ancient people are supposed to find appealing about teenagers, beyond the newly-proven scientific fact that teenagers’ blood is more reviatlizing than adults’. One doesn’t pledge undying devotion to an energy drink; there’s got to be something more!

I really liked Daniel Sharman’s softer, ethicially troubled Kol — but then, I discovered The Originals first and hadn’t yet seen Nathaniel Buzolic’s portrayal on The Vampire Diaries, so for me it wasn’t a compare-and-contrast situation. Having seen both, I much prefer Buzolic’s characterization of Kol. He has a sharper edge and stylistically fits more perfectly with the other Michaelson siblings, and not just because he resembles Daniel Gillies.

• Nik says:

There is nothing creepy about that! They are both adults. Sure, it would be a bit weird if one of the actors were still a teenager, but Danielle is 21 and Nathaniel is 32. Not weird at all…especially since Nate has a youthful appearance!

11. zed says:

So enjoying Nate as Kol!! It is so going to be so interesting with him on TO!!!

12. Sarnita says:

M still lookin fwd for fixing klaus sire line by davina herself…much happy to see Kol to get back