ABC Renewals 2016

Grey's Anatomy, Scandal, S.H.I.E.L.D. and 8 Other Shows Renewed at ABC

ABC’s Thursday-afternoon renewal spree came to a close as the network ordered new seasons of all three #TGIT dramas — Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal and How to Get Away With Murder — as well as Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., black-ish and six others.

These pick-ups supplement the ones awarded to Once Upon a Time, Quantico, The Goldbergs and Fresh Off the Boat earlier in the day.

Grey’s will scrub in for a lucky 13th season this fall, Scandal — ABC’s top-rated, most watched drama — will serve up Season 6 and Murder has made a case for Season 3. S.H.I.E.L.D. will be back for Season 4, while black-ish will bring the funny for Season 3.

Additionally, The Middle, Modern Family and Shark Tank have been renewed for Season 8, The Bachelor has made a date for Season 21, Dancing With the Stars will tango with Season 23 and America’s Funniest Home Videos will hit groins with rakes for a 27th season.

Fall series still awaiting word on their fate: Castle, Nashville, Last Man Standing, Dr. Ken and The Muppets. Also TBD: Winter “fill-ins” American Crime, Galavant and Agent Carter.

Which of ABC’s 15 renewals announced thus far makes you happiest? And which has you scratching your head?

1. Matt C. says:

Yessss! 15 renewals in one day! I love this new president already!

2. Stephon JS says:

I really lovr ABC’S new president.

3. Andrew Hass says:

I’m happy all those shows got renewed

4. Of those renewed, I only watch HTGAWM and DWTS, so I’m thrilled for them. I hope American Crime gets a 3rd season. Other than that, I really don’t care.

5. Cris says:

Super happy for Greys, HTGAWM and and SHIELD.

6. Deb says:

I hope I’m not the only one that wants Castle renewed.

• thisismenow says:

You aren’t the only one. :) I hope they do it and at least do a “Farewell Season” if nothing else.

• Grey says:

You’re not the only one

• TNT says:

Castle fate depens on Stana and Nathan,but im optimistic we have s9 with stana and nathan..and kill every rumors about cast/crew.

Nikki Heat #8 “High Heat”
      released October 25, 2016.
      they have reference for character “Captain” Kate Beckett.

• Mr. Tran K says:

This may be the end for Castle if ABC have the guts to do so. Don’t know if the upcoming season of Grey’s should end as does Once Upon a Time. As for The Middle, how many more years do they have before it all comes to an end and what does it mean for bubble shows like Dr. Ken, The Muppets, Nashville and Agent Carter?

• BM says:

If both Fillion and Katic sign, I’m all for a renewal. From what I read, that is what Castle’s renewal depends on (in part, I would think).

• SO says:

You definitely are not alone. Part of the problem I think are people recording them to watch later & skip commercials. Money counts. Also, Stana seems to be leaning towards other interests regardless of her fans who want her there. Castle without Beckett wont work & I think it would have been better if Marlowe was still there.. But hoping she will re-sign for all who want her back.

• DL says:

The only reason I want it renewed is because I’m afraid this season won’t have a conclusive, happy ending.
      That said, despite the wonky metaplot, there have been some really good episodes this season. I wouldn’t object to more Castle. I just kind of feel like Nathan and Stana are reaching the end of their energy with these characters and I’d rather see them end on a high note.

• Luli says:

I do want it renewed, but I think the show is doomed.

• Lo says:

Me too! I really hope they give us a full farewell season at least.

• Grey says:

You aren’t the only one. I also hope “Agent Carter” gets renewed. Those are the only two ABC shows I watch. So if both are cancelled my TV schedule has two new hours for the other networks. Are you listening ABC?

• Louis dapron says:

I want castle back

• shirley says:

You are not the only one.

• Karie S says:

Ditto, you’re not the only one Deb, Please, please, please renew Castle. One of the best ever and love the cast!

7. abz says:

I really think they should consider announcing this as the final season of Scandal. It’s been garbage for a long time now. The endless monologues from EACH AND EVERY CHARACTER are annoying and only demonstrate the poor writing. The writing just plain sucks. Everything goes in circles and back and forth with unnecessary characters (Rowan and Jake) sticking around way longer than they should. Shonda I’m sorry, but you and your writers are failing miserably with this show. I can’t believe a show like Grey’s Anatomy in its 12th season with all its flaws is still miles ahead better than Scandal has been in a long time.

It’s so sad that a show like American Crime which is basically television at its finest currently in my opinion Is considered on the bubble while shows like Scandal can continue to churn out garbage. I really hope ABC renews American Crime. It’s such a powerful and amazing show.

• JC says:

Scandal is one of the highest rated shows on ABC, but they should bring it to an end because you no longer like it. Good one.

• Cena Gomez says:

Scandal WAS one of the highest rated on TGIT. I hope by the close of Season 5 and start of Season 6, Scandal get back on track. Right now, the show is a hot mess.

• abz says:

Not really. Haven’t the ratings been declining for weeks now? The quality for sure has. If it’s gonna continue then fine. I may probably do the adult thing and move on from it because I keep holding out hope for improvement but it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen. Still it’s sad too see such excellent high quality shows like American Crime struggle to get renewed while a show like Scandal which is a complete hot mess gets renewed so easily.

• tvjunkie says:

Sometimes people like feces and as long as feces make money as a business decision it makes sense to keep it around. How else can we, for example, explain the Kartrashians on TV? Scandal used to be good but I have not watched it since the break ended and I’m tempted to just remove it from my DVR it’s gotten so bad this year.

• mary says:

I think the point is ABC needs out of the box series like AC. They won’t have growth if all the shows end up being either Shonda Rimes or comics.

• terri says:

I agree…this one has run it’s course.

• Gospino says:

American Crime bores me. And with those crap ratings… Lol, it wishes it had Scandal’s numbers!

• Imzadi says:

It’s one of the best, if not THE best, shows on television. Amazing acting and writing. It’s top quality television.

• mary says:

It’s a character driven show. No it’s not for everybody, that’s true. But people like me do like the out of the box style. It’s thought provoking in this day & age. There should be no reason why variety cannot exist on the networks. Not everything is going to get high ratings.

• Polar says:

Totally agree regarding Scandal

8. Tonya says:

Thursday at the ABC offices “You get a renewal & you get a renewal & hey you get a renewal too.” Come on Galavant, the little guilty pleasure that could.

• JC says:

Galavant was Paul Lee’s pet. It’s a goner.

• Nero tTVFiddler says:

Correct – questions remain on Castle getting final short order season renewal, and Nashville is 50-50, but Galavant was indeed Paul Lee’s show…it’s over for Galavant. Perhaps producers will want to talk to one the OTT streaming services?

9. Brian says:

Happy about Fresh Off The Boat and wish that in some way The Muppets and Agent Carter could come back too.

• bob says:

turns out maybe not deadline is saying there in contacts with only nathan lol

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Nathan is always approached first, because he plays the character named Castle. #nonspiracy

• Bob says:

ya but people are gonna get in a uproar thinking its gonna be a spinoff and not contacting both

• Liz says:

Lol, thanks Matt. I always appreciate when you nudge fans back towards ‘logical explanation’ and away from ‘conspiracy theory.’

• Castlebuzz says:

True, Matt, but after eight seasons, one would think that TPTB at ABC would realize that Castle, the show, equals Castle + Beckett equally and approach actress and actor together. Only have to look at Bones. There the titular character is played by the actress, but TPTB deal with both actress and actor together.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Why would I fight a battle on two fronts when I might not have to fight either?

• Castlebuzz says:

Just to be brave? Or to do the right thing? Or to stick it to everyone complaining about gender Inequality in Hollywood? Or, if you really think dealing with two at a time is one too many, why not alternate years at this point? Surprise everyone and approach her first, then him. If the show can go on without her in the eyes of TPTB, it can go on without him in the eyes of many fans.

• BM says:

Castlebuzz – what is said in articles and what is done in reality might be two different things. As far as I recall it was Lee who said the show could go on without either. Personally, I don’t recall the showrunners saying so. Fact is, the show is called “Castle” and while an argument can be made that Beckett is now a Castle as well, it’s not what the show is about. Whether we like how they handle it is another matter, we just have to accept it. I’m just happy that they are in negotiations at all!

• Kris says:

Lol why would they negotiate together..NF is too busy asking for reduced work days with SK..maybe he’s asking for one day per ep next season. Haha (i would not be surpirsed)

• Nero tTVFiddler says:

In the ‘old days’ (perhaps they don’t do contracts in that way any longer on TV), they used to sign contracts called ‘most favored nation’. What that meant was that each co-star would get the same (best) contract that either was able to negotiate, and that they wouldn’t sign without the other. The cast of Friends did this, Laverne & Shirley co-stars (Marshall and Williams) did this type of contract (that was the first time I’d heard of it when I was a kid), and I believe they tried it on Cheers (Danson and Long), but it backfired on Danson.

Anyway, if I were NF (and this may be the case), he’s not coming back without Stana. So, whatever deal he makes, or can make, she has power to approve or disapprove, and vice-versa. But they are not coming back without the other – they just want to try to get the best deal possible, much like the duo on Bones.

My guess – Castle gets a short order of 9-13 episodes next season to wrap up the story line. Again, much like what FOX did for Bones and the cast/crew. If ABC isn’t able to make the deal happen, they that’s their loss … but they’ll work something out. It will come down to ‘the money’, as it often does.

• Just one thing says:

That’s the long and the short of it. But the notion that contract negotiations for an aging, declining show should somehow take months and months each year is kind of odd.
          Even taking into account the syndie cash, what real leverage does the star of a show like that have?
          If they love Fillion so much and believe in his star power, why not give him a dev deal, hold him for a year and launch something with him from scratch – for dirt cheap?
          Is getting Castle to 200 episodes really worth risking that a final season might tank whatever timeslot it’s in?
          These are all rhetorical questions of course.

• anon10 says:

Matt is right. It would make sense to lock Nathan in first. This has little to do with Stana at this point.
            What is being ignored is that they said the talks with Nathan have stopped.
            If you want Castle or a spin-off, than either way they would have to lock him into a contract and continue the talks.
            What pops for me is that they are leaning toward cancellation and no spin-off, which was Lee’s idea anyway.
            And don’t ignore Matt’s statement, ‘Why would I fight a battle on two fronts when I might not have to fight either?’

is he really saying that will be no negocitations because there will be no Castle or no spin-off. At least not a spin-off with Nathan on board.

• caitlin says:

Matt, if they’re negotiating with Nathan he already said yes. They’re not going to wait to ‘approach’ Stana until his contract is finalised.

• Dj says:

Being open to return doesnt mean anything if they cant come to terms in negotiations. Cote was open to return to ncis, but they couldnt come to terms and she left. You start with NF get him signed if it doesnt work you have no reason to go to SK.

• Grey says:

It takes month for contracts to be finalised, they don’t need Nathan’s signature on paper to go to Stana, they just need an agreement reached by a verbal exchange.

10. Sarah says:

Seriously….greys needs to be done.

11. ABG says:

I’m guessing final seasons for Castle and Last Man Standing, Dr. Ken renewed and either cancellation for Nashville or a very short order.

Agent Carter and Galavant dead; American Crime might survive for another 10 episodes.

12. Sarah says:

Yay Once, Grey’s, and Quantico!!

13. Kristina says:

Because I wasn’t worried enough about Agent Carter. (Not that the situation wasn’t bleak before, but I feel like this cements it a bit.)

14. OM says:

I’m so happy SHIELD got renewed. It had a rocky start but now it’s in my opinion the best show of that genre. The performances, especially from Iain de Caestecker, are phenomenal and I’m glad that we’ll get to see where the show is going.

15. Drew says:

Hoping for Galavant. I also prefer Agent Carter to Agents of SHIELD, so I hope she gets another season.

• Sarcasmfont says:

Me too! Desperately want Galavant and Agent Carter back next winter! But I do love Shield as well, so happy on that front.

• Mark says:

If Agent Carter does come back (holding thumbs) it must be a season where she finally starts building Shield. This season was good but a lost opportunity plus they need to bring back Angie — the rushed job in episode 9 was but an admittance they messed up by not including her character.

• dave2442 says:

It made no sense for Angie to leave NY coincidentally at the same time Carter headed to LA. That would be plot contrivance at its worst

• John NYC says:

Actually to me she would have made more sense than Dot: Angie was an aspiring actress: so Hollywood?

Carter could have couch surfed at Angie’s place: a comic goldmine would ensue.

• dave2442 says:

She was an aspiring actress in NY who didn’t have much money. It would make more sense for her to pursue acting opportunities where she already was.

• herman1959 says:

Or, if the show is renewed, Agent Carter can stay in LA and get her own apartment. Angie can then come to Hollywood to try her luck and couch surf at Peggy’s place.

• John NYC says:

Perfect.

Especially the renewal part. 😊

• dave2442 says:

Remember what Jarvis said to her in the next-to-last episode this season, about how people close to her always end up dead. Don’t think she’d want to put Angie in harm’s way like that.

• WingsStef says:

They would have to do a significant time jump if they actually have a season about the SSR becoming SHIELD. If I am remembering correctly Peggy was still listed as SSR in the early fifties (1953) in an interview clip showed in Winter Solider. Of course, the show could do that. I am assuming Daniel Sousa is the husband she mentioned in the said interview clip, but of course that can not be the case.

16. jj says:

none of them

17. Guy says:

ABC’s best show, no argument, is American Crime. And it looks like it will probably get the boot. Sigh.

• Just one thing says:

I honestly think that dhkwbits safe. It’s natural critics & Emmy bait. And they probably produce it at cable rates.

• Just one thing says:

I don’t know what I was going for with that word, but maybe I meant “that show…”

• mary says:

I was trying to figure it out-lol.
        AC will depend on the oldies not yet renewed, & the two newbies that just started. Family is at 1.5 between Grey’s & HWTGWM. It moves to Sunday. I think it’s a goner.

18. Robert Dassler says:

Agents of SHIELD season four? Sounds good, doesn’t it? A fella could get used to this.

19. lordofluck says:

Galavant and Agent Carter are the only 2 I watch and have little hope for both of them.

20. Dennis says:

HOLY $hhhhhhhhhh!+
    Omg that’s amazing! Yay!!!

21. Terri says:

Fingers crossed for Nashville!

22. Livi says:

I’d like to see a shortened renewal for Castle. I think the fans of the long running series deserve a proper ending and advance notice of its final season.

23. Also hoping that Last Man Standing, Galavant and Agent Carter get renewals as well.

24. N says:

Yay! The Middle!

25. Ian says:

Will Supergirl be renewed for a second season?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

TVLine’s hand-crafted Renewal Scorecard is linked in yellow atop every TVLine page, as well as within the article above.

26. Ted says:

I hope they bring Nashville back for a “know it going into it” final season, even if it is for just 13 episodes or so. Let them tie up all the loose ends and send everyone off the way they want to send them off.

27. Btm says:

Save the Muppets! I don’t care if they play Washingtonians backstabbing one another for power while singing Man of La Mancha! I need Muppets!

28. Sara says:

Tvline do you know anything about grey’s contracts? Did everybody renew for s13?

• Nero tTVFiddler says:

I assume ABC has spoken w/Shonda and co. prior to making the renewal announcement I assume Shondaland is confident contract extensions for key cast members are do-able. If my memory serves me well, I think Ellen P current contract was for two seasons and ends in May’16?

29. Angela says:

Great news about “How to Get Away with Murder”! Woo!

30. arlene says:

Well, Scandal and HTGAWM renewals, pleased, not surprised. But if Nashville doesn’t get renewed, I will not be happy.

31. Mike says:

Funny how she said they were going to back off of soap-ish serial style shows and then renew almost all of them. Not complaining, just confused.

• I think it’ll take more than one season to fully implement Dungey & Sherwoods vision fo abc.People would’ve been mad had they cancelled everything at once & do a 180.She’ll probably slowly move abc in the direction Sherwood and her want.

• Gospino says:

Of course she isn’t going to cancel shows that perform well, no matter what genre. That would be stupid.

• John NYC says:

For one thing it’s possibly too late into the development cycle: she’ll use the broom on borderline stuff to make room for her projects next year when she’s got them developed.

32. I remember when i care about Castle, not anymore, but we need Galavant and Agent Carter, so happy for SHIELD, Fresh off the boat and OUAT

33. Spence says:

Yay to The Middle and Black-ish!!

34. Lisa says:

Please, please, please renew Castle. I need more. At least a final season like Fox did for Bones. Yay for renewals of Grey’s Anatomy, Once Upon A Time & Quantico.

35. Sam says:

The Middle! It is tv’s unsung hero. Every episode is superb. So happy for the cast and crew.

36. Ben says:

I’d guess most of those awaiting their fates will be cancelled, but see no reason why Last Man Standing would be. But then, it took forever to get renewed last year. Maybe it is about negotiating money with Tim Allen, in which case I guess it could be cancelled.

• Nero tTVFiddler says:

ABC had ‘bubble-show’ negotiations with the production house (20th Century) of ‘Last Man’ last season in spring as well. The same will happen this year. It is probably 30-70 on the show coming back, which is long shot territory. It is an issue of cost – the network doesn’t get the ratings for that series it once did, so the production company has to foot more and more of the bill (without the ratings, the show doesn’t have the leverage it once had). They have enough episodes for syndication, so 20th has to weight out the cost-reward of continuing the show as the cast and crew want more money each season to keep going.

Plus, ABC has shows that are newer and less expensive to slot into that Friday night lineup, including ‘Ken’ and ‘Boat’. I think ‘Last Man’ is on it’s ‘last leg’, so to speak.

37. Jared says:

I wonder what’s taking The CW so long to start with their early renewals. I feel like last season a bulk of the shows were already renewed by this point.

• Mark says:

Just a hunch, but I’m guessing that they are waiting until the CW and Tribune reach an agreement (or the CW makes other arrangements) before any renewal announcements.

• You’re right ,last season Jan 11 CW renewed about everything.However,this season is different with Tribune,Netflix,Hulu expiring so until that’s handled ,no early renewals-last I heard Tribune,Netflix talks weren’t going well.

38. Mai says:

YES! So glad Agents of SHIELD got renewed!

39. Dj says:

Happy that AoS got a 4th season which means syndication.

40. Lorna Newlin says:

I hope Castle renews!

41. Betisa says:

Matt, is there a chance for a Castle renewal?
    Imo it could not be more obvious that Castle was cancelled.

42. kmw says:

Not surprised by the shows renewed but surprised about how EARLY these renewals came. ABC usually waits till April to announce. Very happy about their comedies coming back. Its stil possible for others, especially Castle to get renewed. Maybe Castle not getting renewed yet means they are reconsidering going on without one or both of their leads which would be smart. They shouldn’t come back without both of them

43. jakis says:

Fingers crossed for Nashville and Agent Carter.

44. Liz says:

Please bring back The Muppets, Agent Carter and Last Man standing!

45. Ruth says:

Come on Agent Carter!!!!

46. Morgan says:

Love Galavant and wouldn’t mind more – but it was wrapped up fairly nicely at the end of season 2. What I really want is more Agent Carter.

47. Joey Padron says:

So happy Agents of Shield got renewed for season 4! Hope Agent Carter will get renewed for season 3!

48. lame says:

Paul Lee was more than willing to continue Castle with NF after the exit of SK, but with PL’s departure ABC will have to renegotiate with NF.

• John NYC says:

That negotiation was necessary no matter what: his contract was also for only one year just like Katic’s.

49. Holly says:

Agent Carter, and Nashville NEED another season. I’d like another season of Castle if only to give the rest of the Firefly cast a chance to guest star and fulfill my dream :/