Agent Carter Cancelled Renewed

Ratings: Agent Carter Ends on Low Note

Agent Carters “Hollywood Ending” was not a happy one.

ABC’s midseason drama wrapped its sophomore run on Tuesday night with just 2.35 million total viewers and a 0.7 demo rating (per finals), hitting and tying series lows. TVLine readers gave the finale and the season as a whole an average grade of “A-.”

Setting the table for Peggy and the gang, The Muppets‘ double-episode season ender averaged 2.7 mil/0.9, with the latter half-hour hitting and matching series lows.

Elsewhere in the ratings….

CBS | With The Voice back in the mix, the 299th episode of the renewed-times-two NCIS (15.4 mil/2.0) slipped 13 and 17 percent to deliver its smallest audience of the season and match its lowest rating ever. New Orleans (11.7 mil/1.6) in turn dipped 9 percent and a tenth.

FOX | New Girl (2.6 mil/1.2) was flat, Brooklyn Nine-Nine (1.9 mil/0.8) ticked down to series lows, but Grandfathered (2 mil/0.8) and The Grinder (1.6 mil/0.6) were steady.

NBC | The Voice (12.3 mil/3.0) was down 7 and 12 percent from Monday’s opener. Versus the previous cycle’s Night 2, it was up in audience but down 14 percent in the demo.

1. Eric says:

Well, that probably seals the deal. I think Agent Carter is done, but I could see ABC picking up another limited Marvel series to use as a mid-season replacement for S.H.I.E.L.D., such as Marvel’s Most Wanted or the project that John Ridley has in the works.

• Chris says:

I don’t know why this tactic in scheduling never took off. I think if people who normally watch shield on that day (live or on DVR) would watch the other show in the same time slot (instead of the other show having to compete with something else) it would have a better chance to thrive. It makes me think of Once Upon A Time in Wonderland. It was supposed to air during the original shows’ winter hiatus, but instead they sent it off to an early death (competing with NCIS on Tuesday or Big Bang on Thursday, I can’t remember)

• David4 says:

It’s a super hero show and a ABC owned show so maybe it will movie to Netflix where Marvel shows have been doing well.

• tvjunkie says:

FOX should sack it’s entire Tuesday comedy lineup. Those are awful numbers for any network not named CW.

• Boiler says:

Its not really a quality problem, especially New Girl and Brooklyn 99. I think people just don’t watch Fox much anymore

2. pileobunnies says:

I’ll miss the Muppets. :/

3. Gerald says:

NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Agent Carter and Muppets were both fantastic last night.
    I REALLY want them to come back.
    Can we get a DVR +3 day report on numbers on these shows?
    Fingers crossed their numbers go up to acceptable levels.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

MUPPETS has been averaging a 50% bump in the demo with Live+7 DVR; AGENT CARTER +67%.

• ABG says:

With Live numbers this low I don’t think it matters. Love Agent Carter, but I was surprised it even got a second season.

• Roy says:

ABC should move Muppets to Fridays along with The Middle, or something along those lines, joining their solid-performers-for-the-night Dr Ken and Last Man Standing and create a family-friendly, TGIF-like block for the night. Both Muppets and Fresh Off The Boat would fare better on different nights.

4. Mr. Tran K says:

The Muppets and Agent Carter are in danger of getting cancelled soon by ABC. As for NCIS, guess fans are very happy that the so called #1 show in the world got renewed for two more seasons and I really don’t know if it’s going to end after 15 seasons the same number of years CSI and ER did.

• Maryann says:

I suspect NCIS will last as long as Mark Harmon wants to do the series and CBS agrees to his terms.

• Mr. Tran K says:

You don’t believe that old people loves NCIS or do they want the show to retired after 15 seasons? Who knows if Michael Weatherly’s departure after this season should help or hurt the series without him.

5. Morgan says:

*shakes the world* What are you doing? Why weren’t you watching Agent Carter?

6. Jasie says:

They are killing B99. Get it back to Sunday where it had stabile and decent ratings.

7. Boiler says:

FOX continues to screw Brooklyn99. Too bad as it is a fun show. Also have enjoyed Megan Fox on New Girl

8. cr says:

That’s too bad. Agent Carter has been phenomenal this season.

9. wrstlgirl says:

The first 25 minutes of Agent Carter weren’t shown in my area because of stupid election results coverage so I was only able to see the final 35 minutes. I wonder if this happened to others and they just turned the channel.

• Jean says:

In Denver, the whole hour block for Agent Carter was the election results. I had to wait for it on demand. I was pretty pissed off.

10. Maryann says:

I absolutely love Peggy Carter, but I got behind when they doubled the episodes up. It will be interesting to see how much L+7 adds.

11. It's Delovely says:

The “Agent Carter” finale was great. It’s such a shame that more people haven’t been watching–it’s well-written, has a great cast, and is lots of fun. At least the episode left things (mostly) wrapped up if that’s it. Still hoping for a miracle and that we’ll see more of Peggy & Co.!

12. Christina says:

Agent Carter deserves so much better!

13. Maryann says:

I hope the network doesn’t substitute Most Wanted in Agent Carter’s slot next season. I can see them doing that since those characters are also Marvel I just want Peggy back — even if it is just for a 6-8 episode run in the spring. Who knows — with a new head over at ABC, they may leave the idea of giving shows a big winter break completely behind.

14. Walkie says:

Agent Carter is a mortal lock to get canceled.

15. ABG says:

Thank you ABC for two amazing seasons.

16. I’m not so sure that ABC (and ultimately Disney) cares THAT much about the ratings of Agent Carter. The show is a link to the movies that make them billions and billions of dollars. I’d say it could go either way sure, but I don’t think low ratings automatically means a cancellation at this point. It’s always been a show for fans and it’s certainly delivered in that capacity.

• ABG says:

The movies make them billions. The show doesn’t so…

Don’t get me wrong, I love the show, and ABC might have been willing to overlook the awful ratings, if for example it had been able to stay above a 1.0 demo. But several sub 1.0 ratings in a row (most of the season, actually), and the fact that the last ABC president lost his job for renewing way too many low rated shows…

I’m thankful for the 2 seasons we got. Hope the cast moves on to bigger things, and with the MCU is still being massive, I bet we’ll see Hayley Atwell as Peggy again.

• My argument is that the show fits inside this whole universe that Marvel/Disney is looking to create. If the show fills in some of the entertainment gaps between movies, it’s certainly not out of the realm of belief that Agent Carter could still possibly get a third season. I kinda think that Disney doesn’t even think in terms of “ratings” anymore. I think they think in terms of “universes” and “franchises.” Having Agent Carter, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D and the upcoming Marvel’s Most Wanted on the air, having the movies in the theaters, having the comics on the stands, having the toys and merchandise in the stores – all that only strengthens and grows that universe.

• Chiguy says:

Marvel’s film and television productions are under separate leadership now. Feige (the MCU head honcho) never wanted to support the television arm which is why you get fringe players from the movies in the shows and limited crossover connections. The whole “It’s all connected” branding was nothing more than a ploy unfortunately. With Ms. Atwell cast in another pilot for next season and the low ratings this season it’s really hard to see them keeping Agent Carter around and I think they’ll fill it in with Most Wanted since that has stronger connections to the actual S.H.E.I.L.D. series.

17. Jeremy says:

I kept reading on Twitter that a lot of ABC affiliates (in primary states) weren’t airing any ABC programming because of Super Tuesday coverage.
    This has to play into why the ratings were so low last night.

18. Jess says:

Carter was preempted in Denver last night for Super Tuesday coverage, which is unfortunate. I love this show. Creatively, it’s one of my favorites. It’s just fun.

19. Lauren says:

Oh well. None of these shows are as good as Finding Your Roots on PBS. That has become our must-watch on Tuesdays.

20. Wendy says:

Maybe Super Tuesday returns had something to do with the numbers. Wonder what the cable news networks are reporting?

• PatriciaLee says:

Good point, and we can only hope the suits that renew/cancel think this way. It was a surprise Agent Carter came back for this season, a good surprise. Maybe, it will happen, again.

21. Tahoe Mike says:

Matt, any take on how the new Head Of Programming at ABC feels about Agent Carter?
    Remember, if your favorite show is on ABC, It’s probably Already Been Canceled.

22. Larry says:

Network television is so frustrating. I wish Agent Carter had done better. I enjoy that show to no end. I love the characters and its refreshing to watch a program that inspires my daughters. But advertisers and the Nielsen viewers will decide what my family gets to watch as usual. Every year i watch the networks less and less. My kids watch stream television most of the time. I’m beginning to wonder why I bother trying to support Network television.

23. Carlos Lee says:

There will no Season 3 with those ratings. I enjoyed the 2nd Season more than the 1st Season. The show was fun and full o humor. Hayley Atwell has been signed for another ABC show already.

• Carla Krae says:

And she’s said repeatedly in the press that ABC is 100% willing to allow her to do both shows if they’re both picked up. She’s only signed to do a pilot. Lots of pilots never make it to air. And lots of pilots make it to air with new casts.

24. Katherine215 says:

Echoing everyone here, I wish more people were watching the phenomenal Peggy Carter do her thing for 8 hours every winter. I love everything about this show!! The humor in the finale was hilarious. So sad to see the ratings suck like this.

25. kmw says:

Too bad for Agent Carter should be getting much better numbers but I am afraid its done. The Voice sure eats into NCIS. And while FOX’S numbers are lousy New Girl and Brooklyn 99 should still be coming back

26. jj doe says:

ABC has said there will be a season 3, and that she can star in this, and her new show. Here’s hoping!

27. Cassandra says:

I think that Agent Carter is a phenomenal show that hasn’t been given enough promotion or chance to grow. I realize in today’s world that it’s hard to sell the appeal of a period piece to a bunch of millennials who can’t get their face out of their phones long enough to pay attention to a story (and I say that as a millennial). But Peggy is an excellent female character in a world of bit girlfriend and wife parts, and I think that’s why we need her. She’s strong, smart, funny, and tough, but she also has a vulnerable side. In short, she’s an actual well-rounded human being instead of a caricature. That’s hard to find in female roles these days.

I would like to see a third season, but only if we get to see the development of Peggy and Daniel from colleagues in a relationship to heading to husband and wife (he’s got to be the future husband that Cap saved in the war, all the hints are there), and Peggy working her way through the corruption of the SSR to forming SHIELD. I think they have plenty of story to work with if they proceed properly, and I see people still getting hooked on it every day. It would be such a waste to cancel it now when Peggy has such a strong history from which to pull. And if they take it away I will dearly miss her and Jarvis and Daniel.