X-Files Finale Ratings

Ratings: The X-Files Revival Rises With Derided Finale, Bested by Bachelor

Fox’s X-Files revival finale — which averaged a grade of “B-“ from TVLine readers while eliciting the occasional “fulfilling,” “horrible” and “awful” review — drew 7.6 million total viewers and a 2.4 demo rating (per finals) on Monday night, up 7 and 14 percent week-to-week.

As a whole, TVLine readers gave the six-episode revival an average grade of “B+.”

Leading out of that, Lucifer (4.9 mil/1.5) ticked down to series lows.

Elsewhere in the ratings….

THE CW | Crazy Ex (920K/0.3) dipped a tenth, Jane the Virgin (940K/0.3) was flat.

CBS | Supergirl (7.3 mil/1.5) slipped 16 percent in the demo to match its series low. Scorpion (9.8 mil/1.7) and NCIS: LA (8.8 mil/1.3) each fell 19 percent in the demo, to their lowest rating since Nov. 23.

ABC | The Bachelor (8.7 mil/2.4) rose 21 percent and three tenths, while Castle (5.5 mil/1.1) was up 6 percent and two tenths.

NBC | The Superstore (4.7 mil/1.4) and Telenovela (2.9 mil/0.9) finales each added audience plus two tenths in the demo. The Biggest Loser (3.9 mil/1.2) rose to hit and tie season highs, but was down 28 and 14 percent from its previous finale.

1. David4 says:

Of course X-Files went up, the 5th episode was one of the worst in the 10 year history of the show and people wanted to see if it got any better.

It didn’t.

• DL says:

I loved the fifth episode. The terrorism element was way too heavy-handed, I thought, but that didn’t ruin for me what was an otherwise incredibly fun and enjoyable episode.
      But hey, I forgot this is the internet, where opinion becomes fact!

• T says:

I loved it too. It was X-Files. I don’t understand the negativity. Literally nothing was different than episodes in the original run, just age.

• Zoe says:

I agree with you about Episode 5, but honestly? I really liked Episode 6.

2. Maria says:

Last night’s Scorpion was one of the best episodes so far. The plot was fairly believable and the team dynamic was great.

3. Mr. Tran K says:

Don’t know whether or not both Superstore and Telenovela are going to get renewed even though NBC needs a sitcom to breakthrough. I’m so excited about Blindspot returning next week but I’m not sold on Gotham which is also returning as well.

4. ndixit says:

Well, at least Castle got back up to 1.1 demo rating after a couple of fractional eps. Not that it means much because it’s certain to get the axe. But 8B has been a marked improvement, even if it’s just in contrast with the catastrophe that was 8A.

5. ninamags says:

The X-File finale was great.

The new viewers were probably the ones disappointed. Us long-time viewers know the show and how it operates.

One step forward and two steps back. Cliffhangers are nothing new. The younger viewers are used to immediate gratification and resolution.

That s not how this show works. Besides, it’s very likely the show will return.

• David4 says:

Older viewers are used to storylines that are rushed and don’t make much sense, destroying characters to fit in line with the rush job story that may never get a conclusion?

I figured after 13 years people at The X-Files might have learned… but nope.

I’ve been a viewer since the 4th or 5th season, but I guess I’m not old enough yet.

• suzi says:

Or wise enough, David, to realize that your opinion is not fact. The show has nothing to learn as far as I’m concerned. I enjoyed all six episodes and hope/expect it to return.

• DL says:

The X-Files aired while I was a kid. So it took reaching adulthood, developing an understanding of the television business, and bearing witness to the travesty that was I Want to Believe, for me to finally realize that just because Chris Carter created The X-Files doesn’t mean he ever really knew where he was going.
        Coming from that perspective, not expecting coherent answers about the original show, or even any kind of cohesive mythology new or old, I’ve found this revival to be incredibly enjoyable.
        If you think about it, The X-Files is sort of the original Lost. If answers to the questions are all you care about, prepare to be disappointed. But if you can invest in the characters and the complete and utter weirdness of it all, you’re in for a fun ride.

• BM says:

It can’t be too bad if you watched for 5 or 6 seasons and even came back after almost 14 years…
        I liked the finale; would have liked more M/S together as a whole but other than that, loved that the show came back. I wonder though if their demo numbers are reflective of a need to adjust the criteria overall. I know many who were in their teens when the show first aired and they’d be right in that demo number now. Maybe it’s like that for other shows, too?

• Becky says:

I think you mean two steps forward, one step back. They way you say it, they are always moving backward!!

• Donna says:

Fan from the beginning, and you couldn’t possibly be more wrong. New viewers had no idea how much of the mythology was trashed last night (black oil? The syndicate? Human/alien hybrids? NEVER MIND), nor about the absolute character assasination for the sake of a “twist,” etc. etc. No, it’s the longtime fans who know what a hack Chris Carter has become, who were outraged by that garbage.

6. Good news for Superstore I think.

I wonder how The CW shows do in after-live ratings. I adore both of those shows and want new seasons. I think because they get critical acclaim and awards nominations, we are safe..but who knows.

7. Phun says:

Ouch for Supergirl but then the rest of the shows on CBS were down too. :( Wow!

8. Cat says:

I hope Superstore gets renewed!

9. Aly says:

I rather enjoyed the X Files finale, and I don’t see how a ‘B+’ rating is “derided”. Pretty harsh there with your title.
    I’m hoping in the next couple of months we can hear about a S11!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Hi. The finale itself got a “B-” (with 35% or so giving it a “C” or lower) and the headline is referring to the caliber of strongly expressed negative opinions, not the average grade.

• Aly says:

My mistake. Still, I think the title is a little unfair. To get “B-” there must have still been a fair amount of people rating it higher than C, etc. We didn’t all view it with contempt :)

• suzi says:

So the quality of the negative comments outweighed the quantity of the positive ones. That’s just so internet…

10. DavidJ says:

What the heck is up with CBS? It seems like some weeks the numbers just drop across the board for no real reason at all.

11. Hipper says:

‘Superstore’ is actually a decent comedy… unlike what follows it. I hope it gets renewed.

12. Dennis says:

Calling it now:

Supergirl will be cancelled by CBS and scooped up by The CW at upfronts this May.

• Fred says:

Supergirl is here to stay. Its doing very fine. Supergirl faced the strongest competition of all CBS shows yet it was down lower than Scorpion

13. SAM says:

I hope that the numbers for “Lucifer” improve. It is pretty silly but enjoyable, and Tom Ellis is funny as well as being great eye-candy

14. rockerrick says:

The X Files finale was fantastic! Give us more – we are gluttons for the Truth.

15. PJRiter says:

Their son was working undercover for the aliens. He came for them because there was no other way,

16. Rocco says:

The show was great!! The X-files is the best show on television.

17. kmw says:

Good that The X-Files stayed pretty much the same thru its short run. FOX definitely wants it back it is just a matter of the actors availability. Not so good news for Lucifer, now its lead in isn’t as strong but still decent( Gotham), very interested to see how it does now. Too bad for CSB they didn’t deem to have a good night at all. Also good that Castle rose but for how long can it keep it at a 1.1