X-Files Revival Finale Recap

X-Files Finale Recap: The End of the World as We Know It?

Holy Alien Scully, that X-Files revival flew by like a UFO over Lake Okobogee, didn’t it?

Season 10’s sixth and final episode, “My Struggle II,” once more examined Scully and Mulder’s run-in with the powerful men who want to destroy the world. The backdrop for the angst on this go-around: a nationwide epidemic in which ordinary citizens fell ill to a mysterious, quick-moving and really disgusting sickness.

Was this the giant, manmade crisis Mulder prophesied in the revival’s premiere? Does everyone really have alien DNA floating around in their bodies, as a resurfaced Tad O’Malley stridently stated? What did Monica Reyes have to do with anything? And what the heck was up with that cliffhanger ending?!

Read on for the highlights of the episode, then be sure to check out our post mortem with series creator Chris Carter!

* The episode opened, as we learned it would a few weeks ago, with Scully narrating her journey while photos from the original series’ run piled up on a table. But when she reminded us that she’d tested her own DNA and gotten some hinky results, the shot changed to present-day Scully in scrubs… and morphing into a big-headed, shiny-eyed alien.

* When Scully showed up to the basement office and Mulder wasn’t there, she quickly realized that he’d been watching Tad O’Malley — whose Web series was back on the air. O’Malley asserted that something huge was going down re: the alien DNA he claimed was in everyone’s body… and Scully freaked the heck out.

* After taking some of Agent Einstein’s blood, Scully realized that soldiers and members of the military were starting to show signs of anthrax infection. In a truly Mulderesque leap, she determined that meant that the END OF DAYS WAS NIGH and started making pronouncements like “We’re witnessing what may be the advent of a global contagion.”

* Turns out, she wasn’t wrong — and when Monica Reyes contacted her and said that there was a “Spartan virus” inside all of us that will be humanity’s undoing, Scully hypothesized that the DNA she thought was bad was actually good; in fact, per Reyes, the genetic material that made Scully the most special snowflake of all (thanks to her abduction) was going to save her. (Oh, and you wanna know how Reyes knows this? She’s Cigarette Smoking Man’s gal Friday. She really is the worst, isn’t she?)

* Awesome, right? Except when Scully went to make an antidote out of her DNA, the weird stuff was gone. Like, just gone.

* Meanwhile, Mulder fought off one of Cigarette Smoking Man’s henchmen, then drove to South Carolina to point a gun at the burned bastard himself. But Mulder was already getting sick by the time he confronted his nemesis — and turned down CSM’s offer to live on in the new ruling class.

* Agent Miller somehow got into CSM’s home and rescued Mulder, just as Scully and Einstein located Scully’s bespoke DNA by taking a larger blood sample. Einstein then fell ill, but Scully was able to make a cure and get it into the younger agent before it was too late.

* Despite hellacious traffic and a freaked-out citizenry, Scully made it to Miller and Mulder. But Fox was so bad off, Scully determined he needed stem cells ASAP — from William. Just as Miller and Scully were lamenting that they didn’t know where William was, a UFO appeared above them and… THAT’S IT. We ended with a tight shot of Scully’s eye, looking up at the glowing craft hovering above her.

Now it’s your turn. Grade both the finale and the revival as a whole via the polls below, then hit the comments to expand upon your choices!

1. Aly says:

I enjoyed it, though would have preferred more Mulder and Scully together. Go Scully, single-handedly saving the world (well ok, America).
    We better get a season 11, is all I shall say…

2. Stacey says:

And….we now return your Monday’s to less than exciting. Thank you to Gillian, David, Chris for a fabulous 6 eps. Here’s to more!

3. John Corbae says:

Arrrrrrrrgh !!!!!! It ended that way!!!!!

4. Well, I hope David and Gillian are willing to come back, cause they can’t leave up like this…can they?

5. The renewal is out there.

6. auntiemm says:

That was the most frustrating and unfulfilling finale.

7. matrix2k3 says:

Holy crap that finale was pretty sweet. I mean come on season 11 or a movie need to be made. I like the fluff episodes but after tonight I wish the writers would’ve given us more of the alien conspiracy/ mythology stuff… Oh well still happy we got a S10

8. Ali says:

Way to leave us hanging….! There was definitely way too much crammed into this episode. So confused, did Scully really make a vaccine in like 20 minutes?!

9. Kevin Fowler says:

This finale was awful. You don’t make a cliffhanger unless you know you going to finish it and if you can get the actors back. Chris Cater is an idiot.

• Suso says:

A rich idiot who forever changed the face of television for the better.

…actually he’s a genius.

• Kevin Fowler says:

He is only a genius if he the actors to come back make more and finish cliffhanger. If he doesn’t he is an idiot, pure and simple.

• Donna says:

Genius at making money, maybe (XFiles YA novels abt M&S as teens coming your way–no joke), but not creatively. This show was great because of all of the other great writers, and because they caught lightning in a bottle with Duchovny and Anderson. It was great DESPITE Chris Carter, not because of him.

10. Lysh says:

Besides the near zero screentime shared with Mulder and Scully in the finale, I thought it was a great episode. I’m not sure why there’s so many people on my timeline upset by it. It was classic and new at the same time. The Mulder and Cancer Man scene was my favorite of the night. There’s a few things they should take notes and approve upon, but I hope it comes back again.

• Donna says:

WHY DIDN’T MULDER JUST SHOOT THE BAS TARD? He knows everyone is dying. He knows HE’S dying. SHOOT HIM ALREADY. Nothing to lose, and he’d get to deny CSM the ability to see his plan come to fruition.
      Oh, and while we’re on the topic of the plan, WHY??? What was the motivation for killing everyone ON THE PLANET? God, this episode was so stupid.

11. Farooq says:

Can’t say I enjoyed the finale, and I used to love the show. The actors are fine, but I hope the writing is better next season.

12. CMG says:

What on earth was that? That was like a Mad-Libs script, where they just plunked in various tropes from the original X-Files run into blanks in a script… and just like a Mad-Libs, none of it made any sense. That was, quite possibly, one of the worst hours of television I’ve ever seen. It’s almost as if Chris Carter intentionally torpeoded the series just so it would finally go away for good.

• opus says:

You, of course, have a right to your own opinion, but it appears many, like me, disagree with your assessment. Bring on more X-Files, both mythology episodes and monster of the week episodes.

• Donna says:

I’m with you 100%. Chris Carter has been awful for a very very long time, but this was a new low even for him.

13. Michael says:

Will be heartbroken if this is indeed “it”. My instinct says that it’s over, and the story is basically that Armageddon happened. Scully had a chance to save at least some people, but the alien ship above put a halt to that. The End of the Human Race. Tragic ending to the X-Files.

14. Ellinaras78 says:

What a complete waste of time.

15. I actually cried tight shot of Scullys eye like the 1st ever episode!!

16. Jimmy says:

This revival didn’t completely live up to my expectations, but the was a really great episode. Someone green light a season 11 or a movie!

17. Billy Bob Johnson says:

Well, I see the crybabies are back. “A cliffhanger? Waaaahhh. Unfulfilling. Waaaahhh.”
    Just enjoy the gift that was given to you over the last six weeks.

18. Barb says:

Not so happy with the ending. Love, love LOVED the original series and after all theses years to be left hanging kinda sucks.

19. RunTorRun says:

I am not sure why everyone is being so negative – FOX, Chris, Gillian, David… they all want to make more. The ratings were awesome domestically and internationally. It appears that at this point the main thing holding up a renewal is scheduling. Hopefully they can do a season with 10-12 eps so it will not feel as rushed and storylines can build more naturally.
    Added bonus for tonight – GRAY T-SHIRT MULDER :)

• Disgusted says:

Mulder was in the episode? Really?I barely noticed. He didn’t SPEAK until halfway through. Had *maybe* five minutes of screentime. One ten second exchange with Scully. Ugh.
      The X-Files ARE Mulder and Scully. Splitting them up a few times in a 24-episode season is fine. Doing it twice in six episodes after a 13-year hiatus is ridiculous.

20. Lee Bryan says:

It was a wild and crazy ride tonight. Loved it. There will me more. The truth is still out there.

21. There better be a renewal coming, otherwise I’ll be so ticked. I know, first-world problems here.

22. Zoe says:

So… how long before Season 11 is confirmed?

• kmw says:

Another season is up to the actors availability. FOX has clearly stated they want them back but they need to actually get them all together and have that conversation. Both actors have said they are open to doing more but until they get schedules worked out there is nothing to confirm. Gillian Anderson seems awfully busy for awhile so I don’t know how soon The X-Files comes back. And If and when it comes back it will be for near the same amount of episodes, neither one will do a full season.

23. Zrodfx says:

X-Fileus Interruptus

Frustrating as hell !!!!

24. David says:

No. Just no. You don’t end a TV classic like the X-Files like that. A cliffhanger? For a series finale? Really???

There will be more. There has to be.

• Lysh says:

They’ve been promoting it as a season finale and they’ve been saying they want to make more, so.

• David says:

True, but I noticed that they replaced the traditional “The truth is out there” in the opening title sequence with “This is the end.” I think you’re right, though. They’re just messing with our heads.

• LS says:

I’m pretty sure the, ‘THIS IS THE END,’ was just a reference to the whole “everyone’s dying from the global virus,’ thing. Remember, they changed the title words every so often in the first nine seasons too.

I can’t imagine the X-Files won’t be back. And that’s why they took the gamble of providing a cliffhanger for the ending. It makes the fans who want to see it continue crave it even more.

25. sonia and the bunch says:

hello from australia, melbourne…..
    we are a bunch of latin american and aussies living here down under and enjoyiiiiiiiiiing those x files.
    pleaseeeeeee, give us more, is it the alien from this planet earth really? is that the inner earth? or what? kisses and hugs to all the fans all over this only one planet we have. we are one and many! (like the australian song says “We are one: But we are many: And from all the lands on earth we come: We’ll share a dream: And sing with one voice: I am, you are, we are Australian.”

26. ninamags says:

There totally has to be more.

This can’t be it. I loved it!!! Frustrating as all hell. Which is what Original X-Files always was.

The more we knew, the less we understood.

For a wild moment there I thought the new agent was gonna turn out to be their son 😳😳

27. Gail says:

This isn’t the Gilmore Girls where they planned 4 final episodes so that the original creators can end the series like they want to. No one has said this is the end of the X-Files. Everyone should calm down and wait for the Chris Carter interview at 11:30 PM EST.

28. Betty Wilson says:

William was in the UFO and saves Mulder.

29. Molares says:

Did not live up to hype. Felt like we are being set up for Carter to abduct $$$ from us with next film. I for one won’t get fooled again.👎👎👎

30. Jim says:

There has to be more coming. Look how it ended!! That can’t be the end.

31. Jman says:

It was awesome…but please say there’s plans for another Miniseries…? Movie? They have to finish it!!!

32. Jules says:

Seriously, I anticipated this revival…but honestly (exept for episode 3) I’m dissapointed that they literally ruined it….and this ending is not satisfying….don’t bother to re-comeback…not worth it..

33. Crystle Salisbury says:

I was so excited for the return of The X-Files and was not disappointed. Its like no time elapsed between it going off the air and then returning in 2016.

The finale was disturbing because it left me with many questions, so hopefully, that means another season. Great job!!!

34. Phyllis says:

I thought it was going to be 2 hour finale! Even though they wrote “This Is The end” this did not seem like it. What’s the deal? Is there going to be another mini series or a movie???

35. Kelly says:

I hope this season was just the intro for more and new agents, or Miller as the son

36. john dogget says:

Season 11

37. Matt Bartley says:

Terrible ending! Seriously….WTF!!!

• steven says:

i thought it went to commercial..lol.total nonsense, all 6 episodes. they should have let things be…scully made a vaccine so fast..they should let her loose on that Zika virus

38. Amy says:

We want more episodes!!!!!

39. Bill says:

That’s it for me and xfiles! It’s like “Lost” all over again. I cannot believe that people enjoy having to make up their own ending to a tv show, book or anything else that is designed to entertain you. I don’t consider this entertainment. Frustrating, yes. But entertainment? No. I could have saved the 6 hours spent watching this and just made up my own nonsensical version of how the world will end. Or not. You won’t know, will you?

40. Erich says:

Thank you Chris Carter for bringing back great television…as I’m sure the ratings will prove, i raise my glass in hopes there is more.

41. soy says:

Just before the finale I was watching the local news and they said that we might not be alone after all… and then the spacecraft shows up… really???? Come on season 11…please!!!!

42. Jack says:

Please fix your URL… Scully-abducted-revival…terrible…

43. Jim says:

Come on, man,,,,,

44. Pete says:

X-Files Revival episodes 1, 2 and 6 were excellent, even awesome, while episodes 2, 3, and 4 were pointless, meaningless, irrelevant, and a complete waste of time. Hopefully the series will continue next season, but if so, please stick to the story line!

45. lensatov says:

1st and 6th episodes the best BY FAR!!

46. Ceebee says:

I don’t mind a cliffhanger ending, and given ratings and cast willingness, another mini season is prob a given. That said, I was totally disappointed in this show. Mulder had maybe 3 lines (did he even have that many?) and Scully diagnoses a global pandemic after seeing one sore on a mans arm? Where the heck did that come from? And then develops a world saving vaccine in record time (get this to the doctors and they can make more…ah, so easy. How have we not stopped cancer and the flu yet?). And then calms a looting crowed sending them to the hospital. And successfully snakes her way thru traffic (even getting a driver to back out of her way as she waves her hand at him in harried frustration;yep, that would happen in the midst of mass panic);and on a one way ..yes, ONE way – bridge to meet Miller and Mulder, who were supposedly traveling TO her? And then determines that only Williams stem cells will save Mulder ….. “But I don’t know where he is”. (I liked what one poster said – Miller is prob William… His alien side ages quickly. Also the theory that William was piloting the spaceship, lol)). Just too much going on and not enough time given it to make it even “XFiles believable” …and I’m one who Wants to Believe since its pilot. Disappointed. Made no sense, felt like CC just threw everything all at the screen and left it up,to us to try to turn it into a story that makes some teeny bit of sense…. Won’t be me who does that. Laughable it was so bad. I’m thinking the folks who think this was awesome are the same ones voting for Trump…….

• Disgusted says:

Well said. I won’t be fooled, either. It was crap. Nothing but crap. Not going to TRY to make sense of it, because it was nonsensical crap.

• Becky says:

I have loved The X-Files since the beginning and enjoyed the first 5 episodes of this season. But, I agree with all your points Ceebee on this episode. It was just silly. The vaccine in an hour!!!! Getting through panic traffic like that!!!! The silly scene where she stops looting/rioting!!!! Just idiotic. So disappointing. The worst possible ending.

Of course, having said that, I will certainly watch if they make more, but hope that Chris Carter is not writing or directing most of any new episodes.

• Megan Kalu says:

Remember this was an hour show (should have been a 2-hour special), and without commercials only 45 minutes. So how do you crunch the gist of this storyline in such a short period of time? Well, you make calls like the ones you mention in your comments real quick.

47. Christopher Yocum says:

I love the show, I hope they do another season.

48. Patti says:

I absolutely loved every minute of every episode. We want more please.. I love watching Gillian and David act, they are like family… you trust them. I love the writing/directing too… x-files is fantastic. Hoping the will be more, many more episodes to come.

49. Baker says:

Clearly it’s setting up for a season 11. That was too big of a cliff hanger.

50. Bill gregory says:

Just want it to return, I’ve missed it