Big Bang Theory Recap: Howard and Bernadette Are [Spoiler]!

It’s official (and somewhat unexpected): Howard and Bernadette are having a baby — even if Howard doesn’t know it yet.

Thursday’s Valentine’s Day episode of The Big Bang Theory revealed that the longtime couple will soon be first-time parents. Meanwhile, Sheldon’s live edition (!) of Fun With Flags turned into his own personal nightmare, Leonard and Penny’s night on the town took an unexpected route and Raj broke up with Emily to explore a (non-existent) future with Claire.

In “The Valentino Submergence,” Howard and Bernadette purchase a romantic hot tub for two. Unfortunately, their plans to take a dip (or in Howard’s case, a skinny dip) in the jacuzzi are disrupted when Howard discovers what he believes to be a large rodent flopping around in the water.

Soon enough, the creature’s revealed to be a rabbit, which the couple attempt to nurse back to health before it ultimately bites Howard’s finger, provoking an immediate sense of panic in the birthday-suited man-child and a decision to visit the ER. As Howard exits, Bernadette mutters to herself that it might not be the best time to tell her husband that she’s pregnant. (No offense, Bernie, but you don’t need to be a microbiologist to know that!)

Raj and Claire might have had a vibe last week, but there’s no denying it meant more to him than it did to her. In fact, it meant so much to Raj that he goes as far as breaking up with Emily to explore a future with the aspiring screenwriter. Little does he know that Claire just got back together with her boyfriend, and she’s not about to give that up for someone she just met. A later attempt to get Emily back proves unsuccessful on his part — and rightfully so.

Afterwards, during a live broadcast of the newly renamed Dr. Sheldon Cooper and Dr. Amy Farrah Fowler Present Dr. Sheldon Cooper’s Fun With Flags, Raj and Barry Kripke phone their friends to discuss their singledom, turning the educational podcast into a call-in show for love-life advice. Needless to say, Sheldon isn’t amused.

Unlike the rest of their friends, Leonard and Penny try to have a more typical Valentine’s Day, but the fancy restaurant they made reservations at can’t seat them for at least an hour. Attempts to bribe (and flirt with) the maitre d’ fail miserably, prompting the husband and wife to find the nearest In-N-Out drive-thru and plan for a more spontaneous evening. Whether or not it was the right choice to hijack Fun With Flags while skimpily dressed as Cupid is up for question.

Have at it, folks: Are you excited for a Wolowitz baby? And how are you expecting Howard to react when he eventually finds out that Bernadette is pregnant? Hit the comments with your thoughts (and/or concerns).

1. Honestly…no, I am not excited. I had a feeling Bernadette was pregnant based on pre-episode spoilers, but that doesn’t exactly make me happy. Bernadette has been so anti child in the past, or meh at best. If they are going there, I hope they have Howard acting as more of the caregiver, because he was the one who always wanted a child.

• Tony says:

I know plenty of women (and men) who had no desires or plans to have a child. It happened and they are great parents and wouldn’t change a thing if they could.

• Dysturbed says:

Exactly, and if it can happen in reality, it certainly can in a fictional one.

• Hawk says:

It’s not like they are going to neglect the child now it’s here. Many people who don’t want children is because they know exactly the kind of responsibility that means for them. Bernadette is one of these people. That doesn’t mean she can’t be a great parent.

• jbird says:

And there are plenty of us who had no desires to have a child, and STILL don’t have children. And there are plenty of people who never wanted kids end up neglecting their kids (I tutor and mentor at-risk teens, so I see that a lot, sadly). It’s not always rainbows and roses when somebody who doesn’t want kids becomes a parent.

• Andie says:

I’m excited for them. Howard has some growing up to do. It will be interesting to see if Bernadette is exactly happy about having a baby.

• Hawk says:

Howard still idealizes the baby, he hadn’t put himself in a finantial scenario, a child he doesn’t understad or reach to as a person, a sick or demanding child, a child he has to take care of when Howard himself is tired, sick or just doesn’t feel like it. For Howard, this is still an idealized notion of a baby.

• Kody McGrath says:

Ever since Steward moved out, I’ve felt like they were slowly evolving Bernadette so she was starting to open up to the idea of being a mom.

• Robin says:

Total agreement.

• rarefied says:

It’s a bit of a disappointment. It’s extremely rare to have a positive childfree character on TV, where it’s respected as a legitimate choice. They all succumb to the baby rabies eventually (Bones case in point – main reason I stopped watch).

2. Alan D'eon says:

My wife was very upset with the hot tub scene. You should NOT go in a hot tub in the first trimester of pregnancy. It puts the baby at risk. The show should have known that.

• Kate Johnson says:

That was the first thing I thought of!

• Leah says:

Thought the same thing!

• Desiree says:

My first thought as well…that is super dangerous. I thought these characters were supposed to be intelligent ;)

• dan says:

Really? I’d never heard that. How is it worse than a bath or shower?

• John NYC says:

Full immersion for long periods will raise your body temperature, just like full immersion in the ocean will chill you very quickly. Sustained higher body temperatures are suspected as being a problem for the fetus. There are guidelines. Max of ten minutes and lower the temp setting in the tub. Stay higher out of the water to stay a bit cooler.

• Alisha says:

My midwife was fine with me doing any activity I regularly did pre pregnancy including hot tub as long as you listen to your body and don’t stay in too long at a time. My daughter is 19 months and perfect.

• Kristen says:

She actually never got in. It’s possible she was going to tell him she couldn’t get in because she was pregnant, but never got a chance because the rabbit was in there.

• rarefied says:

That was my first thought, too!

• Stacy says:

I thought of that too, but that’s why Bernadette told Howard not to make the hot tub too hot.

• Karen MT says:

Exactly. The hot tub is fine as long as it’s not too hot. Keep it at a reasonable temperature, and the jets will feel good. And yes, this is from advice I got from my midwife when I was pregnant.

• Alan D'eon says:

If you don’t mind slowly cooking the fetus in the most important stage of it’s development, go wild…

• John NYC says:

You’re a hundred plus pound sack of water and that takes time to warm, especially if the tub is, as recomended, just slightly above your own 98.6, , the suggested lower temperature and limit to ten minutes means no “cooking”.

3. Joseph Largo says:

Your spoiler warning does not work. Searched to see if there was an episode tonight and one of the top ten on google was “Bernedette is pregnant”.

4. Sheila says:

And there’s the death knell. No show has ever gotten better with the addition of a baby plotline.

5. I hope things work out between Claire and Raj. As long as Raj can keep his cool and keep a professional relationship with Claire during her ex-boyfriend relapse he might have a chance.

6. The show has officially jumped the shark. I just deleted it from the DVR. I’ll watch the earlier episodes instead.

7. GraceM says:

I think most everyone called it with the baby news.

8. Stephen Harper says:

I think Howard is gonna love it. He will want to be a better father to the child than his was to him

• DarkDefender says:

I’d love to see him turn into a very competent stay at home dad. They could get a lot of mileage out of a baby, for comedies sake. Puke, pee, crying, picking up women.. Would be awesome.

9. Kody McGrath says:

I think they’ve been foreshadowing this all season – ever since Steward left the house.

10. Carol C says:

A fun episode. I’m very happy for B & H.

11. Whimsical says:

They have 3 episodes to bring back Emily or Im out.

12. zagsfan says:

I’m excited for Bernadette and Howard. I think they’re going to be great parents. I’m also so happy that Raj broke up with Emily. The two of them just didn’t work. She was way too dark and weirdly so at that.

13. Mark says:

I’m excited to see how this develops. I was certainly surprised when she dropped that news since I’d forgotten there was a secret to be revealed tonight.

14. Jerri says:

Saw that coming. I wonder how Howard will react when he finds out. I hope he grows up. Curious to see how it’ll change Bernadette, since she doesn’t look like she likes kids all that much.

15. George H. says:

Who cares about Bernadette being pregnant! HOWARD MIGHT HAVE RABIES! Lol. The real shocker would have been if Amy was pregnant from her tryst with Sheldon. Would have been more fun to watch Sheldon navigate parenthood more than Howard since Howard has always wanted to be a dad.

16. Alia says:

I would prefer Penny&Leonard only to see Sheldon in “Sheldon’s Mode”. Should be really funny to see him (co)living with a baby.

17. Bark Star says:

Bah!

18. tjcooper says:

And there goes the show. Howard and Bernadette were boring enough as they are without having to add a baby that’s now going to slowly tear apart whatever was left of the group. And I don’t get the people that say they will be great parents. Howard is an overgrown manchild that can’t even wash a dish, and is by far the most immature of all the guys when it comes to being responsible for himself. Bernadette is already yelling left and right that Howard doesn’t help around the house, and she didn’t want to have children if she was the one taking care of them, and now she’s going to have two children to deal with: the baby and Howard.

19. Jim J. says:

I think the Bernadette pregnancy announcement is just too soon. Because of all the rumors and fears of “The Big Bang Theory” ending with Season 10 (which it can’t), I think they may be trying to rush the storylines in the show. Steven Molaro has got to be behind the decision to go ahead with the Bernadette pregnancy storyline right now. Showrunners can be so cruel.

Should they have done more with the Bernadette character besides a pregnancy? Personally, Bernadette is my favorite character in “TBBT”, and probably the primary reason why I got into the show in thee first place.

20. CDM says:

NOOOOOOO! I am sooo sick of every show going to pregnancy/baby route! Why can’t there be positive portrayals of child-free happy people? To me, this signals the end of the show. Definite shark jumping.

21. katedfw says:

Out of all the couples on the show, I think Emily and Raj would have made much more interesting/comical parents. You wouldn’t have seen that one coming!

22. Jennifer says:

No. No. And No. One of my favorite shows has now jumped the shark. Next season will be HORRIBLE with a baby. I think it would have been funnier if AMY had gotten pregnant. That would have been comedy fodder. So wrong. I think I’m done. RIP Big Bang

23. When Bernie said she was pregnant, my wife and I went, “What!?” It was the high point of the episode. And she and Howard were adorable as they cared for the rabbit – just before he got bitten (anybody who knows rabbits knows better than to put their fingers withing reach of their teeth).

24. Jose cappo says:

I can’t take it !!! His name is Stuart, Stuart Bloom. Not Steward

25. Chris says:

Took me 2 weeks to figure out Claire was the main actress from Caprica. The blonde hair was throwing me off.

26. GDF says:

Am I the only one who thinks it would have been more fun for Sheldon and Amy to be the first ones to start a family? Not now, maybe, they’ve just started having sex…. But I remember when they made that joke last year when they were going to get the turtle. I feel like they would have been the only couple on the show that would have made parenthood fun on a tv show, just think about it. Sheldon is a big kid himself, with his trains and all and he would be all about educating his offspring about science from the get go. And Amy could be trying to manage the baby like she manages her monkeys and use all sorts of neurobiological tricks on it. And I can totally see Sheldon have a disinfecting schedule to make sure no germs come to harm the child and insisting they take him or her out in a biosuit every time they leave the house. Or they could have the child involved in Fun with Flags and dress it up in little flag suits. So many options. With Howard and Bernadette I expect it will be the usual puke, pee, cravings and diaper changes sort of humor that was funny like… never. I don’t think they or Penny and Leonard are nerdy enough to make parenting nerdy enough for this show and keep it in theme.

• Jennifer says:

I’m with you. I was so hoping that it would be Amy & Sheldon. I think that would have been hysterical. And bringing in Sheldon’s mom? Even better.

• You are not the only one. When I saw all the commercials for big bang news, I figured it would be a pregnancy (because what else could it be at this point), I was sort of hoping for baby Shamy. But alas, it is not to be.

27. Jack says:

Not even remotely excited about this. Babies tend to ruin shows. Kinda like real life, in that regard.

• Alex says:

Glad I’m not alone. It’s depressing enough to be at an age where friends start having kids and drop off the radar because their lives become consumed by their babies. Now my favorite sitcom, which I watch for fun, also has to remind me this sad state of affairs. I think this show especially didn’t really need to go there, they could have lasted another season and have a pregnancy reveal in the final few episodes of the last season just because I get it that, realistically, at the age the characters are at, a baby will come sooner or later. But they didn’t need to have it happen so soon. We can at least be glad it wasn’t Amy or Penny though. Mini Wolowitz will be easier to keep off screen than a mini Cooper or Hofstadter. Silver linings.

28. KC says:

The beginning of the end for this show. Dumb move.

• John NYC says:

Meh: secondary characters, fun ones, but still off to the side. Like Angela and Hodgens having a kid on Bones: hardly a show game changer.

29. AtlLady says:

The invention of home pregnancy tests kind of puts a damper on the rabbit part of the story. Back in the day, pregnancy tests were called rabbit tests that were performed by the doctor to verify a pregnancy and the phrase for a positive result was that the rabbit died. The only way to make sure Howard doesn’t have rabies after the bunny bite is for the rabbit to die. Too bad no one under the age of 50 would get the double-edged joke. The Penny and Leonard part of the story just showed that the gang is getting older and life is making adults of them whether they like it or not.

30. Rylee says:

I thinks she’s having a girl. Sad though that Howard’s mother isn’t there for her first grandchild.

31. stephanie says:

She can’t be pregnant. The rabbit didn’t die.