Post Mortems
The Flash Earth-Two Spoilers

Flash EPs on Earth-Two Easter Eggs, Cisco Twist, MIA Barry Doppelganger

Warning: The following contains spoilers from Tuesday’s The Flash

Your eyes were not deceiving you during The Flash‘s trip to Earth-Two on Tuesday: over there, Cisco is — gasp! — evil, Barry and Iris are married, and some of the biggest superheroes are just a phone call away.

The Flash Barry's Phone on Earth-TwoBut don’t read too much into the fact that Bruce, Hal and Diana (aka Batman, Green Lantern and Wonder Woman) are on Barry’s speed dial. They’re just Easter eggs — of which there were many in the hour, including shout-outs to Aquaman’s Atlantis and Supergirl.

“We had a giant board of probably 50 ideas, and we had to just whittle them down,” executive producer Aaron Helbing shares. (Feel free to hit the comments and try to ID all the ones that made it to air! Who spied the Legion ring, as previously promised?)

Below, EPs Aaron and Todd Helbing talk about how the speedster will handle being hitched to Iris and what Earth-Two’s Reverb reveal means for Cisco. They also preview alt Barry’s “pivotal” role in next Tuesday’s conclusion.

The Flash Earth-Two SpoilersGOING TO THE DARKSIDE | After meeting his Earth-Two self – a villainous metahuman named Reverb who works for Zoom – Cisco discovered that he has potential abilities beyond his wildest dreams, and one day, they may come to fruition. After the moment “Cisco saw the magnitude of the powers that he’s capable of, anything’s possible now,” Aaron Helbing teases.

BEHIND THE CELL | Even though he has captured The Flash, Zoom’s plan to steal his speed is far from ready to be executed. “He doesn’t have all the ingredients,” Aaron Helbing explains. “We established earlier in the season that he needed other aspects of other people to help the process.” Meanwhile, imprisoned Barry will start to form a relationship with Harry’s daughter Jesse, just as her father and Cisco seek out help from a very unexpected source in order to rescue their loved ones, Todd Helbing previews. You may have also noticed a masked man opposite Barry’s cell. He is “there for a reason,” the EP hints. As for the Big Bad’s identity, it “starts to unravel” over the next couple episodes.

The Flash Earth-Two SpoilersA TALE OF TWO BARRYS | If you’re bummed about not getting to see much of Earth-Two Barry, fret not, there’s plenty of the “very entertaining” doppelganger in the next installment, Todd Helbing promises. “He’s quite a bit different,” the EP describes, noting that the character was originally intended to have a Jimmy Stewart quality. “We really just gave Grant [Gustin] a few ideas, and he took it upon himself and created this amazing guy. It’s hilarious. It was an interesting juggle between this very dire circumstance and then this very funny Earth-Two Barry,” who also plays “a pivotal role” in helping the other Barry.

MR. AND MRS. ALLEN | Knowing that he and Iris are happily wedded on Earth-Two “affects [Barry] quite a bit,” Todd Helbing previews. Their relationship “really sits with him. That’s going to be on his mind quite a bit in upcoming episodes.” (Could it also be the “much bigger thing” that Barry has to tell Iris?)

The Flash Earth-Two SpoilersIS IT COLD IN HERE? | Just because Caitlin fulfilled her comic book destiny by becoming Killer Frost on Earth-Two doesn’t mean the Ms. Snow we know won’t take an icy turn. However, “right now, she’s not affected,” Todd Helbing notes. “For that to happen, there’s going to have to be some scenario that would trigger that. Right now, it’s not a possibility.”

Flash fans, what did you think of the show’s journey to Earth-Two? Whose doppelganger was your favorite? Sound off in the comments!

1. Jo says:

In my opinion, season two is getting better and better.

Loved Killer Frost, and seeing evil Cisco’s abilities. Grant was certainly having fun playing both Barry’s – which from the promo will continue next week.

Joe’s fate though D:

• Delirious says:

In all honesty… I gave it a B instead of an A, because this could’ve been the way of carrying a whole season, instead of just 2 episodes.
      Of course, I’ll take that back if we continue with the jumps between Earths the rest of the season.

2. Dj says:

Who is the mask man? Could it be Wally or Eddie.

• sev619 says:

Eddie was on their speed dial. Wasn’t thinking it was him. Maybe Wally but I like the other theory that he’s Zoom in Earth-2.

• Zerb says:

It is likely to be Barry’s dad. Same facial structure, body structure, etc.

• Zerb says:

Ignore the last post. For some reason I read so fast that I thought you were talking about Zoom, not the guy at the end lol.

• gigi says:

It looks like Spartan a.k.a. Diggle from Arrow. That’s his mask/identity concealment.

• KrombopolusJimmy says:

I’m not willing to rule out Earth-2 Joe West yet. We saw him flatline at the hospital, but that’s nothing we haven’t seen another speedster do (in fact, that was kind of how Barry showed up on STAR Labs radar at the start of the season). He’s got an intense dislike for Barry, and he could potentially be violently overprotective of Iris’ role on the police force- something he blames Barry for. He’s a singer, and we’ve seen Barry manipulate his vocal chords to sing before, whereas there’s no reason to believe Earth-1 Joe can carry a tune. None of these things are conclusive, but it’s enough to keep him on the board as a potential alter-ego for Zoom as far as I’m concerned.

• libra113 says:

That’s a fairly good case and having it be someone we think is dead is a very Agatha Christie mystery kind of thing to do. In fact I think she created that trick.

3. BarryFlash says:

Fantastic episode! Could Zoom be Wally West of Earth-2?

4. JW says:

When Barry, Harry and Cisco went through the speed cannon, Supergirl was one of the images / one of the “Earths” that exist alongside theirs.

I’m STOKED!

• BarryFlash says:

I saw that. I was trying to pay close attention to the images. I will probably rewatch that part again.

• ms Thang says:

Definitely one of the best Easter eggs tonight’s episode!

• herman1959 says:

I noticed too and wondered if they just added that part (because of the coming crossover) or they meant for Supergirl to be included all along. Evil Cisco/Reverb was my favorite; I can’t wait for next week. I’ll watch again tomorrow on hulu.

• Sammy says:

The only part tha I liked about this episode.

• John NYC says:

But there also was a glimpse of Green Arrow and he’s from the same Earth as Barry….

• Elizabeth says:

For anyone wondering what they saw through the protal it was:
        Connor Hawk (not Oliver)
        Jonah Hex
        Henry Allen as the Flash (so John Wesley Shipp)
        Supergirl (guessing thats why they had to announce)
        Legion Flight Ring (let’s person who wears it fly in atmosphere and space)

• libra113 says:

Jay said they would see everything so maybe they’re not just seeing other Earths but also past, present and future of their own Earth as well (which would also explain the Legion Flight Ring).

• Daniel says:

Yes , saw Supergirl. Great way to intro her into the Flash / Arrow universe or multiverse . But did you also notice they put in there a Legion Flight ring , Jonah Hex was in there and the best yet was Barry’s father as The Flash from the first Flash tv show. That was pretty cool.

5. Lee Rankin says:

They address Bruce Wayne on the flash he is on earth 2 Barry speed dial phone contacts
    Barry mom is alive on earth 2
    Barry and iris are married on earth 2
    Deadshot is the police captain on earth 2 and captain sting is a criminal

Captain cold is mayor of central city in earth 2

They revealed John Wesley ship the flash green arrow supergirl legion of superheroes ring Jonah hex gorilla grodd gorilla city

6. Linda says:

This is a very stupid question but where did Barry get The Flash’s suit?

• Vlada Gelman says:

Perhaps he packed it? Cisco did have all sorts of provisions.

• herman1959 says:

He went back to Star Labs, explained that he had to help Earth-2 Iris and Joe, then took his suit. BTW, Grant WORKED that scene when Barry calls his Mom.

• John NYC says:

The machinery broke as they crossed the first time. Leaving Caitlyn and Jay to fix it within 24 hours or Barry and Cisco are trapped on E2: so they had to have taken the suit with them right from the first.

7. percysowner says:

Mayor Snart, Leonard or his father?

8. herman1959 says:

Who was the Earth-2 lab assistant that Barry said was a bad guy on Earth-1?

9. Tinks says:

Reference to Justice Society? Anyone else pick that one up?

• herman1959 says:

Yup, three members of the Justice League were listed on Earth-2 Barry’s speedial.

• herman1959 says:

Justice League is Earth-1 and Justice Society is Earth-2 (I think)…DEEP.

• Phoenix5634 says:

Just figuring that out? It’s basically literally written in a giant morale at the police stations. And Barry Allen is Justice League, and Jay Garrick is Justice Society, E1/ E2. There’s more subtle example.

To be honest, Earth-2 on the tv show, is like a modified combination of Earth-2 and Earth-3 from the source material, leaning more towards E2, but like E3 becuz of Zoom affect on it.

• herman1959 says:

Yes, I am literally just figuring this out because I had never even heard of the Justice Society until last night. I, like A LOT of others, did not grow up reading the comics and I was never into them as an adult. I’m learning as I go.

• Cris says:

Let him be, I’m just figuring that out too. You’re in the minority when it comes to people figuring that out.

• Phoenix5634 says:

@ Herman
            Sorry yeah I probably could have worded my response to sound less arrogant. I never read the comics growing up either, and I never got into as an adult either, until around this point last season when I googled a lot of it. So I do get where ur coming from. I guess I just figured maybe you seen some comments on here about it in the past, since I’ve see you commenting usually weekly as well for these shows.

10. Melinda says:

This was the best episode so far of this season with Episode 2×12 coming in second. I Loved everything about this episode. The look of Earth 2, their clothes, the different personalities from their E1 counterparts. Iris West being a detective and badass. Loved it! Of course Westallen and all of their beautiful scenes. Poor Barry being on E2 and seeing the life he wished he could have had on E1.

11. Mik says:

This episode was absolutely PERFECT. I can’t wait to watch it a million times while I wait for part 2. I have literally nothing to complain about. Well, the E1 stuff was kinda dry, but yeah.

12. Gabby says:

Best episode period the end full stop exclamation mark etc etc

13. Michael says:

Im a little confused about two things, where is the aquaman easter egg and also who is the man at the end in the prison with a mask on banging his head on the bars? thanks

14. Drew says:

I liked the episode. It was a lot of fun, and I wish they could borrow some of the set designs for Earth 1.
    The only part I didn’t like was how Barry behaved. First of all, he didn’t even try not to react to the world around him, even knowing that he should be playing it cool. But worse than that, he was responsible for Joseph dying, and for Barry-2 not being with the family when it happened. That was selfish and mean.
    But Cisco and Caitlin were great. I liked seeing Ronnie’s double, but I still hope that Ronnie Prime is out there somewhere.
    Glad to see Jay speeding again, but disappointed that he was lying this whole time.
    I really wish they’d address the issue of how Barry and Wally relate. They never seem to be in the same room together, and I would like to see some of the insecurity that it could cause both of them.

15. James D says:

amazing episode. loved every moment.

16. SayNay says:

By far and away the best episode of this season. Loved the “Team Flash” baddie doppelgangers. You could tell Danielle was having a great time playing Killer Frost. Also loved Barry stumbling through the revelations of his Earth-2 life. Is it next week yet?

17. kevin says:

Awesome episode. The best of the season so far, but was anyone else pissed at Barry for pretending to be the other Barry for a whole day? I mean, Iris didnt even have her husband with her when her father died. I totally got Wells frustration this episode. Dick move.

• jj says:

Yes. He should have let Barry from Earth 2 comfort Iris. Definitely a selfish dick move

• hollie says:

Honestly, I enjoyed the way that Barry was starting to blur the lines between Earth 1 and 2 and seemed to almost forget he wasn’t in the right universe. It almost felt like he forgot there was a different Barry at some points. Also while it wasn’t very fair that Earth-2 Barry wasn’t present for Joe’s death, Barry WAS watching this other version of his father die: it was probably somewhat emotional for him, too. Plus, he couldn’t really fix it anyways- would he do? Go get Earth-2 Barry from where he was locked up and put him in the hospital room with no context and expect him to NOT talk all about what happened to him? Plus, as I said Barry was blurring the lines a bit and wanted to be there for Iris in person.

18. Emily says:

Best episode of the season. This is what I’ve been waiting for. Beautiful Westallen moments that still moved the story and Barry’s emotional journey forward, TWO CISCOS! Some great Easter eggs and a terrifying Zoom appearance. Save Jesse now, please!

19. Gail says:

Since the showed the 1990 Flash in the during the transition from Earth 1 to Earth 2 , they should have taken it further and showed 1970’s Wonder Woman, 1960’s Batman, 1950’s Superman, and maybe even the 1940’s Superman and Batman serials. I guess they are determined to keep the TV and movie universes separate no matter how many places Barry can travel but wouldn’t it have been cool if they included scenes from the trailer of Dawn of Justice?

• Dave says:

that would have been cool but they didnt have much time

• … And there might have been some serious legal hurdles in terms of rights clearances that would have prevented that. But it would’ve been great to see, say, Christopher Reeve for a second.

• Phoenix5634 says:

Warner Brothers own the rights to the DC franchise. These TV shows all have a motive, just like Marvel, DC has a planned several years movie and TV schedule. Difference between the the two, is that Marvel got the “jump” on the movies, DC is winning out in the TV series popularity tho, which also propaganda got their DC movie franchise. So I actually wouldn’t doubt we see subtle reference between the TV and movie DC franchises, especially now that a bigger network, CBS, is hosting on of their shows.

• libra113 says:

Not entirely. Back in the day DC wasn’t owned by Warner Brothers and made whatever deals they could to get their stuff on TV. The ownership issues with the 60’s Batman kept that off of DVD/Blu Ray until a year or so ago.

• herman1959 says:

Yes “legal hurdles” are why Batman, Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman were listed by there alter-ego names on the speed dial.

• Ashley says:

I believe you can name drop whatever you want (look at Buffy) but to actually show clips from something else you need to get clearance.

• libra113 says:

Yeah, just recall the ‘legal hurtles’ they kept the 60’s Batman off home video until just last year or so.

Back in the day DC wasn’t owned by Warner Brothers and were in much the same position that Marvel was in until Disney bought them in that they had to just make deals with whatever studios they could so ownership issues are a big deal with older stuff like that.

As for using the secret identity names on the phone there are two things: (1) Security reasons would mean it would be safer to not put Batman, Superman or Wonder Woman and (2) the suits probably told them it was okay to do that but not call them by their hero name.

The real question is IF Barry is just a guy with no powers why does he have them on his phone to start with?

• John NYC says:

Simply Easter Eggs to mess with fans minds.

• Gail says:

Really its just fan assumption, encouraged by the writers, that Bruce, Diana, and Hal are who we think they are. In the comics Bruce and Diana were Batman and Wonder Woman on Earth 2 since they were created in late 30’s and ’40’s but Hal was not Green Lantern. Alan Scott was the Earth 2 Green Lantern.

• libra113 says:

I see what you’re saying, Gail, about fan assumption but IF it were other people it would be one hell of a consequence that they happen to have the same first names.

Of course it would explain why a lowly lab tech would have their numbers in the first place.

One thing about the phone itself. Is a standard commercial phone or a special build. If it’s off the shelf then what if you want to call someone not on that call list? Can you change it like with normal call lists? What’s the deal? :)

20. Piper says:

This episode was hands down the best of the season. Loved all WestAllen scenes!

21. Gail says:

This episode made me want to see more of the Earth 2 people visit Earth 1 Maybe Killer Frost will find her way to Earth 1 and take Barry and Iris with her. Iris could finally see herself with Barry.

I am guessing perhaps the man in the mask with Barry is Earth 2 Wally West and perhaps he is a speedster. We didn’t see an Earth 2 Wally West yet

22. Rob says:

Did anyone else notice the John Wesley Shipp Flash during Harry, Barry, and Cisco’s trip?

23. Rob says:

Also, did this all but confirm that Supergirl takes place on another Earth?

24. m3rissa says:

I’m sorry can we take a moment to appreciate Flyod Lawton living, breathing and talking to us once more!!! That was a beautiful addition.

And then sincerely be depressed that Earth 2 Joe died! Earth 2 Cisco died! Earth 2 Floyd Lawton died and Ronnie died FOR A THIRD TIME!!!

• confused fan says:

I didn’t know Floyd Lawton was going to appear in the episode so it was such a pleasant surprise! Loved the inversion of his character. Even if it was a little predictable it didn’t matter because he played it so fantastically well!

25. Luke says:

Amazing episode; the absolute best of this season (yet; the season’s still young);
    Am I they only one who thought of “The Man in the Iron Mask” when they saw the masked man (I mean he seems to literally have an iron mask on; he could have had any other kind) and it will turn out that he really is Zooms E1 counterpart that he captured so they can’t find out his identity;
    And I dont think it’s Wally since Zooms identity needs to have an impact on Barry they have just met and don’t have any kind of relationship (Barry wouldn’t really care about fighting him);

Anyway we can now rule out E2 Joe, Iris and Barry, well definitly E2 Joe since he died;

26. ? says:

We can all agree that alt-Cisco is alive, right? He has vibrational powers, so he totally survived that. If he really has the ability to see across (or cross!) dimensions like he implied, Zoom probably doesn’t even realize how powerful he is.

27. confused fan says:

Hope this isn’t a dumb question – but if Barry isn’t The Flash on Earth 2, why does it even make sense for him to have all those JL members on speed dial??

28. Lola says:

Ive been looking forward to Earth-2 since the season began, and I’ll be honest, my expectations were well exceeded. And to think the journey isn’t even done!

29. GraceM says:

Can’t week for more!

30. Dave says:

there was a black green arrow, the flash from the original series, supergirl, grood nation ( or grodd as king) Jonah Hex,legion ring,

31. Alexis says:

Best episode of the season so far. Loved it all especially detective Iris West being badass and married westallen of course. Nice to see JLM sing

32. Cilla says:

Loved this episode for me it was the best one of the season so far. Barry and Iris being married on Earth 2 is beautiful all the WestAllen scenes were beautiful. E2 Iris is awesome, E2 Barry is adorable and it was great seeing everyone elses doppelganger.

33. John NYC says:

So a lot of “Easter Eggs” that aren’t meant to fill in storyline detail of the world of the show?

34. Sammy says:

This show should be renamed as The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Barry Allen aka The Flash. Barry Prime was responsible for Alt Joes death. He should havr stayed clear of his earth 2 family. I know this is a drama but when they write poor choices like this I just wanna throw something at them.

35. Mark says:

Barry talking to him mom followed by what happened to Joe? Such emotion!

36. Michael says:

Great episode; loved all the Easter eggs, but shouldn’t the name on the speed dial have been “Alan” not “Hal” — as in Alan Scott, the Green Lantern of Earth-2? Not Hal Jordan, the Green Lantern of Earth-1?

• Sting1153 says:

Not necessarily. This isn’t the he exact same Earth-2 as in the comics. There’s no Killer Frost and Deathstorm on Earth-2 and so many other differences. The only major similarity between the Earth-2 of the comics and the show is Jay Garrick.

37. libra113 says:

Love how John Wesley Shipp’s Flash was in the images they saw while traveling from Earth-1 to Earth-2

38. Courtney says:

That was the best episode so far!

39. V. Doshi says:

the guy with the mask in the cell next to flash is john diggle aka spartan

40. Phoenix5634 says:

Wow I’m so mad I didn’t make it home in time to see this episode, I’ll be watching it the first chance I get. It sounds really awesome, and wow 97% gave it a very good or awesome rating currently. Just from what I see on here, sounds like another amazing episode in the second half of the season. Without even seeing the episode yet, I bet Cisco’s doppelgänger was the best!

41. psb says:

great episode,although I wished zoom hadn’t killed evil cisco

42. Baz says:

Right let me get this clear, Earth 2 Barry is not the flash, so why would he have Bruce, Diana and Hal on his speed dial?

• Anthony says:

My theory is that none of those folks are super-humans on this (DCTVu) version of Earth 2, just like Barry isn’t. (Yes, I know, in the comics the E2 WW and Batman are Diana and Bruce, but the show has proven repeatedly that it is writing it’s own continuity.)

43. Something was odd about the world that you have seen at the end of the speed cannon trip. East and West Coast looked like desert areas and I missed Greenland with the eternal ice. Same with the North Pole.

44. Pat says:

Fantastic episode. So, is that when Barry is married to Iris, only to happen on Earth 2? Also, Cisco please do not let him get any big ideas about what his powers could be back on earth 1. I am afraid that he might become evil and I do not want to see that happen. Love seeing all the doppelgängers.

45. Evil Earth 2 Cisco was everything, more of him please.

Caitlin remains boring and poorly acted in every universe.

46. Was the Green Arrow shown actually Robert Queen? Jay did mention that he was the Green Arrow in an earlier episode and that Oliver was actually dead.

47. robandco says:

Well that was awesome. And good news it’s a two-parter, yay!
    There were so many nice Easter eggs. That must have been so fun to play for everyone!
    Reverb was awesome, but is he really dead? If he can vibrate can he really be killed by a vibration? Especially if he can see the future, he could have faked his death…
    Mayor Snart? I know they are different people but it made me laugh so hard, and I was surprised neither Barry nor Cisco caught up on that one.
    It could get really repetitive but I wish they’d explore more alternate Earths in the future.
    I agree with many here that Barry is acting like an inconsiderate jerk, kissing Iris, basically having Joe killed, etc. I hope part 2 deals with the fallout of all that. Because going on alternate Earths and getting people killed is not okay IMO.

48. Joey Padron says:

New episode was really good. Loved Killer Frost. It was good to see Ronnie again, sad he died again. Glad Cisco learned he can have other talents with his power from evil Cisco. Sad earth 2 Joe died. Love Justice League Easter eggs in episode. Can’t wait for part 2 of the episode next week!

49. Joey Padron says:

And it was a good surprise to see good version of Deadshot on the show!

50. Skittles&Bits says:

Poor Robbie Amell. This kid is quickly approaching Sean Bean levels with the number of times his character has died.

• sev619 says:

I think he’s committed to two new projects. Maybe they didn’t think he would be free in the foreseeable future for the show? That being said, comic book characters seem to find a way to reincarnate without a lot of explanation.