Magicians Renewed Season 2

Syfy's Magicians Renewed for Season 2

Expecto renewum!

Barely four episodes into its freshman run, The Magicians has been renewed for Season 2, Syfy announced on Monday.

Based on the bestselling novels from Lev Grossman, the drama centers on Quentin, a brilliant grad student chosen to attend Brakebills College for Magical Pedagogy, a secret upstate New York university specializing in magic. There, he and his friends discover that the magical fantasy world they read about as children is all too real when they unwittingly invite a malevolent entity from the other side into their world.

“Thanks to an extraordinarily gifted creative team of executive producers and our partners at Universal Cable Productions, The Magicians has become a buzzed-about hit, enchanting fans of the novels as well as attracting new and younger audiences to Syfy,” network president Dave Howe said in a statement.

RELATED The Magicians: Were You Enchanted by Syfy’s Fantasy Series?

To date, the series has averaged a million weekly viewers, a total that swells to 1.7 mil with DVR playback factored in. TVLine readers gave the pilot an average grade of “B.”

The Magicians airs Mondays at 9/8c; the 13-episode Season 2 will premiere in 2017.

1. Phillip says:

Best news I’ll hear all day!!

2. George H. says:

Glad to know it’s already been renewed. It really is a great show. A lot better than I expected it to be. Love how it feels it almost should be on a pay TV channel like HBO or SHO, has decent visual effects for basic cable. Has a pretty strong plot as well in my opinion. It’s fun to watch.

3. SAM says:

I really wanted to like this because it is well-done but I just can’t connect with any of the characters and don’t like any of them at all.

• Sammy says:

I agree with U! I was so excited when this show was announced but it has terrible actors, a story that makes NO sense and a total dick and whimp lead character!!! Terrible writing! Ugh… someone ask Dean Devlin or the Warehouse 13 show runner to step in and save this show.

• Temperance says:

That’s how the book is written (my major beef with the book actually). ALL the characters in the book are written as very cool and distant and not particularly likable. I think it’s supposed to represent the disconnectedness they all felt from the real world before they learned magic, but I’m not far enough in the novels to see of that chnages when they get to Fillary. .

• ? says:

I can’t tell if the problem is that the network wants the show to be “hip” and “sexy” and the result is that what’s ending up on screen is shallow or if the source material is just poor. But there are only three episodes so far, so it’s too early to bail. Might miss something good.

• Karen MT says:

Me either. Which isn’t too surprising, since I didn’t like them in the book, either. I was hoping the show would be different.

4. Temperance says:

I’m really enjoying the TV series much more than the books. Jason Ralph is a little distracting as Quentin, though (he’s just way too attractive). Of course, that’s not a bad thing to have a geeky, seriously smokin’ hot lead (even if it’s not the character).

5. smartysenior says:

I DVR’d these, now I’ll go ahead and watch them. It’s really smart of them to announce the longevity of a show, too many of us have been burned by abrupt cancellations.

6. dancmh says:

Between Magicians and The Expanse, SyFy is killing it right now. I’m completely impressed.