Ratings: Fox's Sleepy Hollow Ticks Up in Friday Debut, Grimm Rises

Fox’s Sleepy Hollow christened its new Friday home with 3.1 million total viewers and a 0.9 demo rating, ticking up from its fall finale (2.8 mil/0.8) and on par with its Season 3 average (3.3 mil/0.9) — where it until now benefited from having stalwart Bones as a lead-in.

Versus time slot predecessor MasterChef Junior‘s average, though, it was down 25 percent. TVLine readers gave the Abbie-light midseason premiere an average grade of “B+.”

At 9 pm, Second Chance (2.2 mil/0.6) ticked down from its own Friday bow.

Elsewhere in the ratings….

THE CW | Vampire Diaries (1.1 mil/0.4) dipped a tenth, while The Originals (930K/0.4) was steady.

NBC | Caught on Camera (3.6 mil/0.9) improved on Undateable‘s finale numbers (2.7 mil/0.8). Grimm (4.4 mil/0.9) drew its largest audience of the season while ticking up in the demo.

CBS | Undercover Boss (6.8 mil/1.2) dipped 7 percent and a tenth. That greatest Super Bowl halftime shows thing did 5.7 mil and a 1.1.

ABC | Last Man Standing (6.7 mil/1.2) was steady, Dr. Ken (4.9 mil/1.0) ticked down and Shark Tank (6.1 mil/1.4) slipped 10 percent and three tenths.

1. smartysenior says:

Sleepy has completely regained its charm from the first season, now the fans just have to find out and come back.

2. Shaun says:

lol,Vampire Diaries still doing better than Originals.Lack of Rebekah killing it slowly.

3. Nicolás says:

THE CW needs to end TVD and TO.

• Shaun says:

I actually think Vampire Diaries improved at the beginning,but since the Heretics dissapeared things aren’t as great.

• Ken says:

I agree. The season started strong (without Elena which I thought would be a hindrance to the show, but it actually worked), but now the show seems to be dragging with filler episodes. The buildup to the Heretics was good, but then they all but disappeared. Julian is still around, but not much of a real threat.

4. Ron says:

I thoroughly enjoyed the midseason premier of Sleepy Hollow. And while a renewal isn’t likely, any uptick at this point is great–especially after being placed on Friday and losing lead-in Bones. It really feels (mostly) like season 1 again. Even though Abbie was virtually nonexistent in the midseason premier, the episode on the whole reminded me why I love this show and loved season one. Plus, given the previews, it looks like we’re gonna get Abbie back in the action in some capacity. I feel like Abbie currently existing in this other world will be crucial to something…maybe taking down Pandora?

5. Octavius Spender says:

Sleepy Hollow is back on its game thank god. Hopefully it gets a fourth season even a truncated one.

6. I loved the Sleepy premiere last night but was hoping for much better ratings. Fans keep talking about percentage increases w/delayed viewing. Sorry, but percentages don’t really matter! If just one person watched your show, and another watched on DVR later, guess what? IT INCREASED 100%; it is the demo number that matters. I don’t think renewal is likely. All I can hope is that Fox likes Mison and Beharie enough to continue, but that’s unlikely. Long time Friday champ Grimm was looking at cancellation for going under a 1.0–if Sleepy can tick up another point to a 1.0, remain steady live while bringing in good delayed numbers, I think it’ll hang on. If it brings in the same delayed percentages as before, it might even have a chance. If it ticks down AT ALL, I’m pretty sure we’re out of luck. I would love to be completely wrong…

• Bartimeus says:

With it’s DVR numbers – which FOX basically has said is what they now go by – and the steady return last night it’s looking pretty likely we’re going to get a fourth season. SH is still far from being FOX’s lowest-rated show. I think it’s extremely likely to get Fringed esp if it stays steady the rest of the season.

• Bill says:

Grimm was also headed for syndication. A number SH wouldn’t hit for another 3 seasons due to these short seasons. I like SH but I’d be shocked if it got a fourth season, but who knows stranger things have happened

7. Mr. Tran K says:

Good news for Sleepy Hollow but bad news for Second Chance.

8. Jim J. says:

“Grimm”‘s live-only demo rating has been below 1.0 (a full point) all this season. Is NBC going to cancel “Grimm” after season 5 because of this?

9. Ruth says:

So happy for Sleepy Hollow! I completely agree with what smartysenior said.

10. liame says:

Grimm was my Friday but now that Sleepy and VD is involved I’m happier than a hopping baby goat! I love baby goats ;)

11. delorb says:

The formula for success with this show is to have the two witnesses together. Its not to have an Abbie substitute or a secondary couple taking up space. Now the rumor going around is that Nicole will be replaced permanently with Foster. I’m sure that won’t help the ratings.