Vampire Diaries Paul Wesley Interview

Vampire Diaries Director Paul Wesley Teases 'Exciting Fight Sequence Between Two Unlikely Characters'

Friday’s Vampire Diaries (The CW, 8/7c) marks star Paul Wesley‘s third episode as director, and he’s got a big surprise for fans — which means a lot coming from someone who once helmed an episode about Stefan and Elena’s children.

This surprise is a “really exciting fight sequence between two unlikely characters,” Wesley tells TVLine. “I can’t say any more because I want it to give anything away.” (Great, just when it was getting good.)

The episode also contains an underwater scene, which Wesley describes as “challenging, because it’s something [he’s] never done as a director before.”

As an actor, you may recall, Wesley’s had plenty of experience with water — from the time he and Elena drove off Wickery Bridge to that other time he was stuffed in a box and thrown into the sea. Ah, memories.

Looking a few weeks into the future — more specifically to the big Originals crossover — Wesley sounds like he’s just as excited about Klaus and Stefan’s reunion as we are.

“Joseph [Morgan] is a great actor, so it was nice to have to step up my game,” he says. “And I thoroughly enjoy the dynamic between Klaus and Stefan, but I prefer when they’re comrades.”

Despite the duo’s lengthy history, though, Wesley says there’s “not a lot” of discussion about Klaus and Stefan’s past: “There’s a little bit here and there, but they’re mostly dealing with the present impending danger at hand.”

Are you excited for Wesley’s directorial return? Drop a comment with your thoughts on all things Stefan below.

1. Gul says:

Umm.. you had Paul Wesley talking about an episode he directed with a steroline date and you asked him NOTHING about Stefan & Caroline?.. What kind of an interview is this?..

• Megan says:

LOL because SC wasn’t the point of the episode. It was about Stefan’s time in the stone and about his brother. SC isn’t important and I hope JP ends this farce soon. Paul did an amazing job at directing though!!

• KA says:

Suuuree.. THIS is why i say shippers absolutely lack objectivity.. What are you talking about, not important?.. Did you see the episode? SC was integral to the it. it was as much about them as it was abt Defan and you can dislike them all you want but atleast dont lie blatantly.. smh..

• Ed says:

I would have to agree with Megan, this ep focused on the brothers and I could care less about ships. They don’t call em crazy shippers for nothing.

• KA says:

Im not denying that the brothers were at the heart of the ep.. But the Stefan/Caroline dynamic was pretty crucial to the ep as well and their connection & history really came through after a long time.. I dont want to spoil but it was far from “not the point”.. Im not a shipping person myself but I felt something strong for them after seeing the episode.

2. Karen says:

Oh my! I think I’m one of the few fans that does not like this whole story of Stefan & Caroline. YUCK! I also feel I’m one of the few VP Diaries fans that wanted Stefan back with Elena. I’ve been watching forever and I think this is the first year I haven’t been watching as much. :(

• Anna says:

Believe me you’re not the only one far from it. I moved on from Stelena though and want Stefan with someone just not whiny, insecure Caroline. They were better off as friends until they ruined it. I haven’t been watching as much either, the flash forwards keeps me interested though.

• KC says:

No you are not alone. They changed my girl Caroline to be in that dull romance and I hate it. She needs to be the confident young woman she was. I can’t wait until she talks with the person she should be with.

3. Tomoko says:

Like all other tools there are some advantages and disadvantages associated with cordless
    drilling tools. Machinery is considered as the chief weapon required by man in order
    to make many useful and beautiful equipments in the world.
    s easy to fall for discounts and actions that
    sound too good to be true.

4. Phoenix5634 says:

Awesome episode! And I agree with Paul, I enjoy when Stefan an Klaus are comrades as well. They have such a great dynamic, especially when they share scenes like that.