Post Mortems
The Originals Jackson Dies

The Originals EP Justifies Cami's Fate, the Latest Casualty and More Twists

The Originals giveth, and The Originals taketh away.”

I wrote that about the CW drama’s midseason finale in December, but it rings even more true after Friday’s return, a hectic hour that sealed the fates (for better or worse) of two key players.

Executive producer Michael Narducci spoke with reporters about this week’s game-changers, but first, a quick recap of the events:

Cami awoke to reveal she was compelled to slit her own throat after drinking Aurora’s blood; Hayley was forced to watch in horror as Tristan ripped out Jackson’s heart; Vincent aligned himself with Elijah and Freya to retrieve the Serratura (and Hayley); and the Mikaelsons turned Tristan’s followers against him.

Now, here’s a peek into the future for each of the Big Easy’s remaining residents:

CAMI | It should come as no surprise that Cami “is in for a long transition in discovering who she is as a vampire,” per Narducci, who hints that she’ll want to explore the “dark impulses” we learned about earlier this season. “She’s going to swing in the way of exploring her impulses and embracing the newfound power that she has.” And yes, you should definitely be worried about Klaus being her guide. “Klaus isn’t genetically engineered to be a good influence,” Narducci reminds us. “There’s a chance this path will bring out the worst in both of them.”

KLAUS | Speaking of Cami’s new tutor, we can apparently expect big surprises from Klaus in the second half of Season 3: Not only is he finally making amends with Hayley, but he’s also “learning from some of his mistakes!” Moving forward, “there are also going to be some really tragic moments that will shake … Klaus to his core. The finale will be heartbreaking and tragic, as our finales tend to be.”

HAYLEY & ELIJAH | Before doing anything else, Hayley will mourn Jackson, experiencing the full “anger, pain, denial, acceptance, grievance” process. “Phoebe’s a beautiful, amazing performer,” Narducci adds. “She will show you that grief.” He also hints at a “burgeoning friendship between her and someone whose name [he] cannot say,” as well as “some really beautiful things” between Hayley and Elijah. “Him trying to comfort her, her wanting to accept that comfort, but knowing it’s wrong, given their past [and] feelings they have for one another.”

DAVINA | “We wanted her to disappear so you could get a sense [that] being shunned sucks,” Narducci says of Danielle Campbell’s M.I.A. character. “No one’s talking to you, you don’t have any power anymore. She’s almost a homeless teen living New Orleans trying to get by.” Fortunately, she’s poised for a “major” comeback, one that could involve her finally being reunited with Kol (in either body). “She’s going to reach out,” Narducci says, adding that “we may be seeing in some form … a reconnection between Davina and Kol.”

Generally speaking, Narducci says this season is “about how people who come into the orbit of this family are just as cursed as the family … and it’s going to get worse before it gets better.”

Are you excited to see Cami’s future as a vampire? And are you as bummed as I am about Jackson? Grade the winter premiere below, then drop a comment with your hopes for the rest of Season 3.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Riana says:

Well Davina needs someone to help her. Since Marcel is no longer tied to the Strix, he needs to open his home to her.

2. Carla Krae says:

RIP Jack, you sexy hunk of Southern wolf…..

3. I’m glad Jackson is dead because he was boring and sucked up screen time, but I’m not here for any Hayley x Elijah mess that is about to come our way. I hate second choice anything. They should both find new people, but also I can see them bonding over dead lovers.

• pebbles51 says:

Exactly, Elijah should never be second choice.

• I agree with you on everything except Elijah was never second choice. Jackson was second choice. Haley only married him because their bond had the power to break the wolf curse and if she’d picked Elijah, she would basically be turning her back on all her people, making them stuck in wolf form. She ended up getting feelings for Jackson in the end but it’s always been obvious that it’s not as strong of love as “in love” would be. She loved Jackson but she was “in love” with Elijah. She kept Jackson in danger just to be nearby, masking it as in “needing to be close to the family”, when deep down, we all know she just wanted to be near Elijah. Every time they are both in the same room, they both have the same look in each others eyes. She never had that look with Jackson. That said, I agree and hope that they both find someone else to be interested in. I was all down for Elijah/Haley before she said I Do, but now it doesn’t seem as appealing. First off, Haley is supposed to be grieving, if she hops Elijah’s bones in a “fit of emotions” it’ll be pretty apparent that she’s been wanting to do it all this time but only held back because of her marriage. I’m still upset over the violin girl getting killed, I was rooting for her and Elijah but it’s like they literally only gave her just enough screen time to make us think something special was coming, only to kill her off immediately. I think Jackson got did it quit fast as well, but we all saw it coming. His screen time was fleeting and it was always either him being the loving devoted husband, or him arguing with Haley to put their family first, which she barely did.

• Bwhit says:

I agree and disagree. You make some darn good points about Haley and Elijah that I cannot refute. The only thing for me is, if Haley can work through her grief and not treat Elijah as just a place for comfort than I want them to be together. I always see them as a true love story, him sacrificing his happiness for the greater good and her never willing to dismiss their connection even if it meant causing issues in her marriage. The ‘shipper’ part of me is happy Jackson is gone but it can’t happen this way. Introducing a love interest for Elijah would just annoy me personally, he doesn’t deserve to be at her beck and call but I as a fan do not want to see another love triangle. You explanation is pretty interesting though.

• Dawn says:

I AGREE 100%. Elijah was def always Haleys 1st choice she married out of necessity at first not love. She grew to love Jackson. Big diff!!! I always wanted to see her and Elijah together but after everything that has went down it has lost its appeal. I really would love to see Elijah in a relationship tho. I love him!!!

4. citizenlen9 says:

I can’t wait for VampCami but I do hope that she and Klaus find their way back to each other.

• pebbles51 says:

VampCami looks very sexy and awesome.

• I need to see another episode before I jump on Team VampCami. She spent the whole episode brooding about how she should just die, tormenting Klaus as he begs her to stay with him, only to change her mind after a 10 second thought about how great it felt to stand up to monsters and be strong. Basically all the stuff Klaus had tried to convince her of before. She then pops up and helps herself to their stash and we fade out to assume they probably slept together. She’s either going to really good, or really bad at being a vampire, I can’t see an in between. If she’s really good, it’s going to get boring really fast. If she’s bad, she’s gonna be Ripper bad and then hell is going to break loose.

• Yass says:

Thats exactly what i think about it. But i am more inclined to believe she’s gonna be really bad. All her “you think you know bme but you don’t” and “i have darkness in me” lines got to have some merit in them and the glaze in her eyes when she finally fed scream “doomed” in my head.

5. Rachel says:

Hallelujah Jackson is gone!!! I could not stand him and it had nothing to do with Hayley and Elijah.

6. Sharon says:

Hmmm…. “There’s a chance this path will bring out the worst in both of them.”…Yep

7. Bwhit says:

That’s The Originals I know and love! I was the furthest thing from a Jackson fan but that was sad. If I had to guess I’m going with Vincent being the person Haley forms a friendship with. Speaking of Vincent, hopefully they don’t put him in the background again because loved his scenes tonight.

8. Katie says:

Well, well. Very interesting premiere! I thought Jackson might have gotten killed later on this season but I was wrong. RIP Jackson. Cami deciding to become a vampire by feeding off of Vincent in front of her dead twin brother’s burial spot..yeah, that was eerie yet it still worked for me. Also her going to give into her darker side: I approve! She can’t be the good girl all the time. Nice touch in getting rid of Tristian. (though I have a funny feeling that won’t last for too long.) I still would have preferred to see Tristian’s heart ripped out by Hayley. As for Aurora and Lucien: I wouldn’t want to be them right about now. I am thrilled that Vincent got to be the bad-*** I know he is. Finally! Overall, I really did enjoy it. I’m curious to see what Marcel does now with Tristian “a little boxed in.” Looking forward to the rest of the season, even with what may be coming.

• valerie Mendez says:

I enjoyed tonight’s episode. I hope that Hailey will be pregnant from her husband Jackson. And I hope that Klaus gets with Caroline on of these days, or should I say years, centuries if their lucky. I’m not for Elijah being with Hailey is not right. His brother had her. And one day they will have to explain that to Hope.

9. Shru says:

Is anyone really sad about Jackson dying..? He was so boring and sucked up way too much screen time. Really wish that Hayley would’ve died along with him. The only sad thing about that entire scene was that we had to watch Hayley scream, showcasing Tonkin’s awful acting ability. I highly doubt we’ll see anything but annoying nonsense from Hayley in the future episodes.. Something I’m not looking forward to.

10. Kami says:

I don’t know about anyone else but I wanted Cami to actually BE dead. I think she is one of THE most boring and irrelevant cast members that has EVER been on a vampire show… EVER. I don’t like her & Klaus and when she wasn’t dead, I was quite irritated. I didn’t want Jackson to die because I could give two (excuse my language) f***s about Hayley and Elijah and also Jackson is very beautiful. As for Davina, I don’t care about her one way or another. I was really looking forward to this episode, but after seeing it and waiting for it for SO long… kind of a let down, if I’m honest…

• Jay says:

I agree with you on Cami, it would have been better if she was left to stay dead, but that’s all i agree with you on.
      Great show all the same

• Sharon says:

I believe she should have stayed dead too.

• Evillene says:

I agree about cami she is So boring and so not a match for klaus. Obnoxious even. Elijah needs a fresh face to fall in love with and i want Rebecca back please

• Yass says:

Oh you aint alone. Cami could’ve just stayed death and i wouldnt even blink; but i knew she wouldnt stay death. I just wanted them to go another route with her, make her something other than a vamp. That is just too old. And now she is a vampire am not seeing it being good for her. And yeah i think her being the most boring and irrelevant cast member was the main reason they vamped her up. I could also care less about Haylijah ever happening. Talk about complicated and weird! And they already missed their ride. Them happening now after all this is so unappealing.

11. Mak says:

Poor Jackson, I will miss him…I liked him and Hayley…Hayley needs to grieve for a long time before we are subjected to the Elijah hayley mess that’s the reason they killed off Jackson.

12. Mar says:

Not bummed about Jackson at all. In fact, it was about time.

13. I want to like it so bad, but its just so bad itself says:

I dont know….I have a couple of big issues with the show. I love the Original family- just love them. I don’t want Hayley drama, I don’t want Cami so front and centre- why not give us more Freya centric plots, and Rebekah when you can get her. Give me real Kol.

The other big issue I have is the female characters. Come on TO/TVD, other shows on the CW like T100 and Flarrow etc can write strong female characters so whats up here? Giving the character-most-likely-to-fail-the-Bechdel-test a badgirlVamp! retcon, what is that?

14. Kuana says:

I’ve always liked the chemistry between Klaus and Cami and he definitely needs someone to love and someone to love him. I hope that Cami doesn’t turn into a lunatic vampire (she probably does) and Klaus and her continue to explore their feelings for each other. I like the more gentle side of Klaus and as diabolical as he is, there is something good buried deep inside him that can be brought out by love.

15. Jess says:

Well, Dark Klamille is shaping up to be as mind numbingly tedious as Dark Steroline was. Loved Hayley’s reaction to Jackson and Vincent is just epic.

16. elle says:

Good lord that was disgusting! lovely seeing a man lock a woman away and force her to go against her own wants!

17. Chery says:

Remind me of Tristins roll again please

18. Sharon says:

Sorry you are missing Jackson. He was good looking but about as exciting as wet socks. I like Cami, but think her choosing death might have made for more growth for Klaus. Elijah still the best reason to watch this show, since Rebecca is gone.

19. Austen Combs says:

thanks for spoiling the episode for me.. i googled the show and this is the first thing i saw… your headline

20. Hands down, best episode of the series I think.

21. Karen says:

What a letdown. They just recycled the Elena arc for Cami – I don’t want to be a vampire but I will be for no good reason. I don’t think Vamp Cami can be any worse than human Cami but it’s possible. She’s been boring since day 1 and I can’t see that changing.

22. You Suck says:

Dick move TV Line. Spoiling 2 major events in the google tagline. Real nice.

23. Tulsi says:

M happy dat Jackson z dead…he was a boring werewolf

24. Adeyemi says:

still haven’t gotten hold of d episode can’t see it online wished to download it badly ….think I’ll need some help

25. Adeyemi says:

I support that too…CAMI I’ll just b trying to make Klaus a gud guy which is bad 4 him and boring 4 us

26. Dominique says:

i’m really upset with jackson’s death, but more because i liked nathan parsons so much.
    i cna’t wait to see what davina is up to with kol. hope to see him alive again soon!

27. Bring the real Klaus back says:

This episode was so boring, no one cares about cami, she should have stayed dead !

28. says:

Poor Jackson

29. Haze says:

This was the best episode in a while! The way Jackson got his heart ripped out, I never seen that coming. Tristan is ruthless but got a punishment so much worse than death and Cami was Aroura! Loved the twists

30. Dolphine says:

I wanted Cami dead ,Jackson alive and With Freya. I really thought they had a thing but either way am loving this show. Just one request though,Cami’s character should change totally.

31. Ash says:

I honestky forgot Davina was even on the show until reading this. She’s not memorable at all and unnecessary to the plot. Let her go.

32. This show is a heart breaker! Although I knew Jackson’s death would come at some point, I didn’t expect it to be this early. It was pretty shocking! I definitely have missed this show! It has been so good and I look forward to the rest of the season. Especially the TVD crossover! It is about damn time for that to happen!

33. Trina Howard says:

That freaking suced. I can’t believe they killed off Jackson.
    Unbelievable, he was one of my favorite characters. .I guess now they will just go back to the same old crap between hayley and Elijah. I am done.

34. Maryann says:

Just a few thoughts on the episode:

-I just hope Cami’s basic personality doesn’t change. She served as a balance for Klaus, and if they totally change her, she might as well have died.

-Very sorry to see Jackson dead. There was so much more thay could have done with his character.

-I felt like standing and clapping over Tristan’s fate. Just what he deserved.

–Freya continues to grow on me and I like her more and more. It is very empowering to know that the Mikaelsons have their own ancient and powerful witch.

35. hammaady says:

thank God jackson is dead. he is too boring.he is handsome but makes the series too boring. hope he won’t return again!!!

36. Angelica says:

yesssssssssssss leah pipes slaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay vamp!cami is killing it. klamille <333333

37. Valerie Mendez says:

Well Camino is now a vampire, it’s going to be interesting to watch, but I must say Klaus will have to keep a good eye on his girl. I’m not or ever in favor of Elijah and Hailey it’s to forced.

38. Valerie Mendez says:

For my beautiful, handsome, strong,kickers wolf. I miss you already Jackson Kenner

1/29 /2016 FRIDAY EPISODE :10

39. Dawn says:

I HOPE HOPE HOPE Davina Brings back Kol. I miss his mischievous self. The new Kol grew on me after awhile so it wouldnt be too terrible if hes the one who comes back but id prefer the old Kol (Nathaniel Buzolic ). Fingers crossed! Also THANK GOODNESS Tristan may be gone. Entitled annoying jack @$$. I do like watching Aurora tho. I have a feeling she is going to have him pulled out of the ocean tho. Cockroaches always return

40. Weezy says:

I was starting to get a little bored the first half of the season, but I see they were just slow burning us after watching last week’s episode. It was great to see Aurora’s brother (name escapes me right now) get turned on as I was wondering why his group of vampires showed so much loyalty when he didn’t seem to care about them at all.

I’m finally interested in Cami now that she’s a vampire. I think you will see Klaus humanized alot more in the backhalf of the season. I’m thinking they are setting up a major witch comeback as well. They seem to be the only ones that can do any real damage to the Originals. I don’t like how Elijah keeps treating the Regent because he could be a very strategic long term ally. Instead they just use them when they need him. Boy are they going to be in for a surprise when he turns against them one day.

41. Cass C says:

The is no point to putting the word “spoilers” behind the title of an article, when that title contains the spoilers! All I did was Google “The Originals”, and your title ”
    ‘The Originals’: Jackson Dies, Cami’s A Vampire — Season 3 Recap, Spoilers” came up. Thanks a lot for ruining the episode.

42. Chantall says:

I liked jackosn as a person but i didnt like him when he was trying to tell hayley what to do.. Cami being a vampire thats gonna go downhill from here pretty sure we might be seeing cami turn off her humanity like elena did thats going to be annoying to watch

43. justin says:

I was hoping that klaus and Hayley will end up together