X-Files Ratings Premiere

Ratings: X-Files Dominates Monday in Regular Time Slot Premiere

The X-Files made its regular time slot premiere on Monday night to 9.7 million total viewers and a 3.2 rating (per finals), down sharply (and expectedly) from its NFL-inflated Sunday launch (16.2 mil/6.1) yet besting its average final season audience of 9.1 million and easily winning the night in the demo.

Compared to time slot predecessor Gotham, X-Files outperformed every episode save for the DC Comics series’ debut (which did 8.3 mil and a 3.3).

Fox’s devilish Lucifer went on to retain 7.2 million viewers and a 2.4 rating, more than doubling Minority Report‘s best performance in the time slot and doing better than anything Sleepy Hollow or The Following did last season. TVLine readers gave the premiere an average grade of “B+.”

Elsewhere in the ratings….

CBS | Facing stiffer competition, Supergirl (7.9 mil/1.8) shed a handful of eyeballs but was steady in the demo. Scorpion (10.7 mil/1.9) slipped a tenth, while NCIS: LA (10.1 mil/1.5) dipped just 5 percent and a tenth from last week’s 10-month highs.

THE CW | Crazy Ex returned to 880K and a 0.3, dropping a few eyeballs from its fall finale. Jane the Virgin (990K/0.4) ticked up a tenth.

NBC | Superstore (4.9 mil/1.5) and Telenovela (3.3 mil/0.9) each slipped two tenths, while The Biggest Loser (3.6 mil/1.2) rose two tenths to match its season high.

ABC | The Bachelor (7.7 mil/2.3) and its after-show (4 mil/1.0) inched up a tenth.

1. Matthew says:

I’m a huge comic book fan but can we keep the X-Files and cancel Gotham?

• ndixit says:

I think Duchovny and Anderson are never going to be available for full time X-Files work again. Best we can hope for is a few more limited series like this one.

• Gerald says:

Hell No. Gotham is still great with great characters and keeps getting better. I like X files, but the stories are already convoluted and confusing and no offense to David and Gillian but they won’t be winning any acting awards.

• Aly says:

I guess they’ll have to content themselves with the Golden Globes and Emmys that have already been won by their work on the X Files… ;)

• tvjunkie says:

Far more competition for awards now then when the series originally aired. I would guess competition has more than tripled, given far more original cable series and thing like Netflix and Amazon, and that’s probably low balling it.

• Gerald says:

Don’t get me wrong. I loved the original X files and their acting back then was award worthy…. Just not so much with this series so far.

• AnnieM says:

I wish everyone who looked forward to then gave up on Gotham last season would come back and try it again. Hubby & I are glad we stuck it out, b/c it is SO MUCH better this season. :-)

re: X-Files – original fan here, didn’t care for Sunday’s ep, as it was so awkward, but during Monday’s ep, hubby & looked at each other, and said: “ok, NOW Mulder & Scully are back!” Looking forward to the other 4. :-)

• Mr. Tran K says:

Don’t rule out Gotham just yet when the series returns February 29th as does Blindspot.

• Darlene says:

X-Files all the way, baby!

2. Woah when did the premiere ratings go up to 16.2 mil/6.1? I thought it was 13.5? No matter what, it did excellent and maintained incredible ratings for the 2nd episode. The 2nd episode was so, so good – so hopefully fans remain for the remaining 4 episodes (such a small number, sigh).

Pleased Jane the Virgin went up and disappointed Crazy Ex-Girlfriend was static. I binged the season this past week and really enjoyed it. I won’t watch live though because of The X-Files. Maybe once that is over or I may just stream both Jane and Girlfriend and watch The Bachelor live. However, I love Jane and watching it as soon as I can.

• And I am honestly really pleased with Superstore’s ratings! I love that show and hope it gets a second season. Compared to Fox’s comedies, it is doing really well.

• DarkDefender says:

That 13.5 was just the first 35 min because of the weird start time. I assume the numbers above are the adjusted ones to include the entire episode run time.

• The Beach says:

I really enjoyed episode 2…lots more than the premier. But that could be because I only saw the first half of episode 1 thanks to the the stupid after-game show. Jeez, the game had already ended by 10:00 and all it was was interviews and presentations cutting off half of the premier of Fox’s biggest new show. And before anyone says why didn’t I watch it live, I had to be away from home so it went on the dvr. Sorry to vent. It just irritated me since the game was already over,

• Gail says:

Always record both your show and the next show when the show you want to watch follows football which almost always runs late and delays the start of programs . Usually this is only in eastern and central time zones but I think X-Files was schedule to air right after football in all time zones. I am guessing you also don’t have access to On Demand local programming where Fox has made the New X-Files episodes available. Available on many cable systems.

3. kmw says:

Well I really don’t know that much about football numbers so I will stop trying to guess those anymore. Excellent number for X-Files on Sunday(going up further up instead of down, my bad) and really good numbers last night. Even better that both X-Files and Lucifer beat Bachelor in demo numbers. Superstore did decent considering what it went up against but poor Telenovela doesn’t stand much of a chance. Even Supergirl did better than I thought.

4. Scott21 says:

Im so happy for X files. Maybe the next one will be Veronica Mars?

• sarah t says:

Fingers crossed on that one. That would be a smart move on the CW’s part. I think that would be huge for them. Part of the reason why VM didn’t do as well the first time is because it was originally on UPN and then when it was picked up by the CW (after the merge with UPN) it constantly got bumped by baseball. Regardless, I think it would do incredibly well for them.

• RichCD says:

While your local station may have bumped VM for baseball, it wasn’t nationwide. And when The CW launched, it gave VM probably the best lead-in it was ever going to get, The Gilmore Girls. But the ratings weren’t there, so it was cancelled. VM’s best chance to come back to TV lies with one of the streaming services.

• tvjunkie says:

X Files pretty much went out on it’s own terms. Veronica Mars was canceled. That’s probably a significant difference for this sort of treatment.

• Ben says:

VM’s movie was awful.. soo depressing, flat and cheap… beside the old characters it was nothing like the old show. So.. no… let VM R.I.P. for good.

5. wrstlgirl says:

That is so friggin awesome for The X-files. And I am pleasantly surprised at Lucifer. I haven’t watched the pilot yet but thrilled that people liked it.

6. Drew says:

Looking good for The X-Files. I would expect the next episode to go down a little more, since nostalgia will eventually fade for casual viewers. But it is still doing good. I think it would be going overboard to go back to a full-time series, but more miniseries would be nice. I’m not sure if the mythology stuff works in such a limited number of episodes… I guess we’ll find out in a few weeks.

7. Ednamode says:

Just shows how important it is to bring back the original cast. Don’t see 24: Legacy coming close to these ratings.

8. Foxie says:

This means we need more THAN ONLY 6 EPISODES. Are you reading this Chris Carter????

• Robert Dassler says:

I’m sure he is but the six episode thing is the only reason that Gillian Anderson is involved. She lives in England now with her kids and she’s made it clear in interviews that she can’t devote any more of her time to longer runs. Maybe a proper 21st century revival with an entirely new cast is in order.

9. Aly says:

I’m so pleased to see the X Files ratings! Hopefully they can stay about a 3 in demo over the next four weeks. Very pleased indeed.

10. siebertws13 says:

I’d be much more enthused about this, and the potential for more episodes, if the series had been any good at all so far.

11. pam says:

Awesome for the The X Files! I can’t express how happy I am to see Mulder and Scully back on my screen! I hope this means David and Gillian will find the time to commit to more episodes in the future. Very excited to see the remaining 4 eps for this run.

12. nabocane says:

Fox is the sadist who only collects pretty things so that he can pull the wings and legs off slowly, at his leisure. They’ll eventually do to ‘X-Files’ what they have done to every good SF/F they’ve ever owned: start by meddling in creative; then strangle its budget; then move it to Fridays to languish before either canceling it, or moving it to Saturdays to humiliate it before killing it. History doesn’t lie.

• Drew says:

Been there, done that. The X-Files beat the Friday night curse. As for meddling… The creators/actors stepped on their own toes. The move to LA was not a smart move. (I am watching season 6 now)

13. Chris H says:

I thought Lucifer was Devilishly good last night.

14. Phil says:

Watched Crazy Ex Girlfriend as soon as it went up on Hulu last night. Was only going to watch the first segment, but then that Reprise of “I Have Friends” was heartbreaking, and then it was so awkward… and then it got MORE awkward. And then it got brilliant.
    What a great show, and a great re-entry episode. I’m really sad the ratings didn’t increase at all.
    I also tried re-watching some of the first episodes without the musical numbers yesterday and the show is still great. The dialogue gets overshadowed by the music most of the time, but it’s very quotable.
    Worth a watch!

15. Brian says:

Supergirl is practically a certain renewal. Very good to stay steady against the huge increased competition from The X-Files

16. Boiler says:

Great to see Scorpion’s viewer numbers. Someday a smart person may actually figure out that older people do matter in advertising, especially since the percentage of us is going up.

17. Root says:

Needs more Skinner.

18. Zoe says:

[chanting] Full series order! Full series order! Full series order!

This is GREAT news. I knew last night’s X-Files ratings would be spectacular, but it’s awesome that it’s still drawing viewers. I mean, of course it is, but considering how… let’s call it uneven… the premiere was, (to me) I was slightly worried. Last night’s episode was so friggin’ good, though, so episode quality should HELP with drawing people in for the next episode this time.

• Zoe says:

I should say I knew SUNDAY night’s ratings would be off the charts, not last night’s. Derp.

• kmw says:

If FOX could get a full series order they probably would but both actors have ruled that out. Gillian Anderson lives in England and is busy with her kids and theater back there and Duchovony just doesn’t want to physically do more than that. FOX will convince them to do more limited shows but not more actual episodes in a season

• Zoe says:

That’s strange. I’ve actually heard quite the opposite. From what Gillian and David were saying in the lead-up to the premiere, they’re both very open to doing more episodes. Duchovny even suggested they could shoot some of them in London. There are obviously logistical things to work out with two successful actors like them, but in interviews and on Twitter, they’re both more than willing to shoot more episodes.

19. Flo says:

Love The X-Files. Lucifer was so basic and boring. Rip off Sleepy Hollow but with a basic looking chick in the lead. Didn’t do anything for me.

20. Jim Hyatt says:

I wish the people that keep chirping that Anderson and Duchovney can’t act or are just not skilled would 1. Not Watch The Show 2. Quit Sharing (we don’t care what you think) or 3. Offer their services as replacements when the run is over. Those of us who watched faithfully during the original run think they are doing a good job recreating the original “feel” of the series and making us wish for more. There are lots of other options for you “out there” on cable, satellite, Netflix, etc…why not #checkitout.

• Drew says:

By criticizing others for having their own opinions, doesn’t your post become the very thing that you’re criticizing?

21. ninamags says:

Fantastic for The X Files!!!! I also enjoyed Lucifer. The guy is charismatic and interesting. I didn’t think he would reveal who he is, though. A lot of people don’t believe him.

22. tahina says:

Awesome for The X Files! It brought me so many great memories back at the Heaven and the Fox X- Phile Forum sites where we spent hours. Those were the days my friend. Thanks so much Gillian and David for the memories. ! <3<3

23. Andrew says:

Is there any chance Mulder & Scully are Timelords? Just keep regenerating every few years. Steven Moffat & Peter Capaldi will be available in 2017.

24. Rick Whatley says:

The X Files is fantastic! Thank you Fox for bringing it back.