Forever Season 2 Henry's Children

Forever Creator Dishes More Season 2 What-Ifs: Adam's Escape, Henry's Immortal Fling, a Castle Crossover?!

If the now-cancelled ABC drama Forever had been gifted the same immortality with which its protagonist was cursed, Henry Morgan’s life would’ve gotten very busy in Season 2.

How do we know? Because executive producer Matt Miller, who in September offered fans a glimpse at Henry’s future, took to Twitter once more on Tuesday evening to answer fan questions about his beloved-yet-blighted series. The occasion: the series’ DVD release.

Many of the queries involved the fates of Dr. Morgan, his burgeoning love interest Det. Jo Martinez and Henry’s trapped-in-a-waking-coma nemesis Adam. Though Miller said no Season 2 scripts had been written, the story arc had been mapped out — and he teased the notion of Henry’s other family, a romantic fling for the good doctor, Adam’s resurgence as a threat and more.

The highlights:

* Despite Forever sharing a network with Castle, there was no chance for a crossover event. “Couldn’t, because Castle was ABC Studios and we were WB Studios,” Miller wrote.

* Henry would’ve had a romantic dalliance in Season 2 with another immortal, “someone that was much, much younger than him.”

* The title of the series finale, “The Last Death of Henry Morgan,” wasn’t literal — Ioan Gruffudd’s character still would’ve been immortal in Season 2. “Just having fun with the audience,” Miller wrote.

* Adam — who, when the series ended, was effectively dead via “locked-in syndrome” that Henry caused — would’ve received a “death/rebirth” when someone unplugged his life support, Miller wrote… and that mystery person might have been the aforementioned third immortal.

* And while we’re on the topic of Adam: Burn Gorman was the only person who ever played him, even back in the phone call in the pilot.

* The wife with whom Henry had children (divulged during Miller’s initial tweetfest) was Spanish — a “Latin lover.”

* Jo’s criminal dad, and her upbringing as a delinquent-in-the-making, are what eventually led her to want to uphold the law. “She decided she wanted to be the opposite of her father,” Miller wrote.

Forever Season 2 What Would've Happened* Lorraine Toussaint’s Lt. Reece would’ve had more to do in Season 2, but her role (which was often cut for time) is more fleshed out in the Season 1 DVDs.

* Season 2 flashbacks likely would’ve included a longer arc about Henry’s childhood and the moment that Abe learned his father’s secret. “Also,” Miller wrote, “young Abe learning to ride a bike.”

* Sorry to end on a downer, Forever fans: Per Miller, a wrap-up movie is “probably not in the cards.”

Do you have lingering questions about Forever that Miller didn’t answer? List ’em in the comments!

1. Nicole says:

Thanks for compiling this! Sad that we didn’t get a S2 but nice to have some answers (and S1 on DVD).

2. Luis says:

Stop torturing me!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Me says:

Quit telling us things that will never happen! I’m still not over Henry being gone. :(

4. MoreLikeStaceyDisgrace says:

This was not necessary…how about we just let sleeping dogs lie and just let the show RIP :-(

• Russell says:

totally agree! if no S2 planned, then why give out possible episode ideas? seems quite pointless to me..
      RIP S1!!

• DarkDefender says:

If I read the article correctly, it’s because those of us who will buy the DVD for season one, would find this out anyway in the extras.

• darby says:

I don’t agree…there is a lot of momentum for the public’s want to have netflix pick up the show. …so yes, please keep talking about the show! Hopefully continued discussion will lead to a show revival.

5. Namu says:

Too bad this could not continue on Amazon or on line somewhere. If ABC owned this we might have had a2nd season. Died to soon.

6. N says:

I miss this show so much!

7. Allie Riker says:

Matt was asked a couple legit questions about fan efforts and what we can still do to help bring the show back. I’m curious to know if there is some one specific target we should should be asking, like Warner Brothers??? I mean, nice that he did this, he used it for PR, but stop egging on the fans with what might have been. Is he the person who can tell us who to target or is there someone else??

• Forever was the only intelligent story on tv,could read a book,but became friends with characters and was in for the long run.Feel betrayed for being roped in,then cut.Forever was not just some etitest writer fantasy,well…I guess it was after all.MISS DR,ABE,DET JO.HOW ABOUT A TWIN SPIN OFF BY A GOOD WRITER.On NBC,CBS,FOX,PBS..KEEP TRYING.

• rinaex says:

There is no one else. It’s never coming back.

• Louis E. says:

Warner Brothers owns the intellectual property rights…they are the ones who could authorize spinoff novels and other tie-ins.Matt came up with the idea and sold it to them,he doesn’t seem interested in creating such tie-ins but the Warner people could allow it if they saw a market.

8. Liz says:

I will always be ticked off at ABC for canceling this show.

• ComeOn says:

Still mad at ABC for keeping Castle and cancel this. And all these talk of Castle spin off to keep it going is just ridiculous. I will keep saying it: if only WB pitch The Mystery of Laura to ABC and Forever to NBC…

9. Denise King says:

I would love to see this as a series of books since we can’t have it on the book tube. It is an entertaining storyline.

• Louis E. says:

Amen!…whether novel length or collected shorts.Get Matt to agree to edit submissions from commissioned and fan writers alike,and the selected stories become as canonized as we can get.

10. Martim says:

C’mon, just bring this show back already! Everyone knows that it ended too soon, it’s a shame really.

11. Xiunely Salazar says:

They should put this show on Netflix

12. AMG says:

I know that fans are still trying to save the series. Their campaign is still active.

• Marilyn M. says:

This quickly became my favorite show!……wasn’t ever given an adequate chance!! Excellent plot and storylines, not to mention the great cast of characters. I still wish It could be resurrected!!

• I watched all reruns of Forever this week, and actually shed a tear for all the characters that I will not see anymore…..please bring it back……the ending left too many questions unanswered. What did Henry actually say to Jo after she walked into Abe’s Antique shop?

13. Ruth says:

So make it happen! Find another network. If X-Files can come back, so can Forever.

14. Christine says:

You should try and continue the series on Hulu or Netflix. This was one of the shows I actually looked forward to watching every week.

15. Kayla says:

Is there any way another station could save the show, a rebirth for season 2, it was cut way to short of a series. I want it back!!!!

16. alyn84 says:

I am so disappointed that this show wasn’t renewed! It seems like the good ones always get cut :( It’s too bad someone else didn’t pick it up. It is nice to have some answers regarding the future of the characters though.

17. Jonathan says:

If ABC will not continue the S2 of forever perhaps miller would share the story thru books just like the harry potter. Hope you will publish it sooner cause i a not still can’t get over

18. Brian Faust says:

Id Just like to see it come Back!! I was a good show!

19. H Schrefff says:

It’s too bad that the show was cancelled.

20. Arzoo says:

I wish at least Netflix would pick it up and put all season 2 episodes on there. Why can’t Miller pitch it Netflix

21. Check with Netflix. They produced new episodes of Longmire when they got cancelled.

• Kimberly Walling 🖖🏼 says:

We have Tweeted Netflix extensively, this past year. Every possibility has been contacted… repeatedly.
      But, no entertainment execs paid attention to us Trekkers, for 10 years.
      We are going to keep trying.

22. Sheldon W. says:

Intriguing stuff. Fan fiction writers should have a field day with these revelations.

Considering how much better Forever did than its timeslot successor, it’s really a shame that it’s too late to do a season two. (*deep sigh*)

23. JeffDJ says:

Reading all those Season 2 plans almost makes the show’s cancellation even harder. That said, I ordered the DVD set this afternoon and look forward to reliving the show.

24. M zupanec says:

“Forever” was a great show! I miss it and I hope that they find away to continue the story! It was my favorite show!

25. Carol C says:

So happy that Forever’s on DVD now. I’ve been hoping. Just learned that Battle Creek is also created on demand ~ another wonderful series that ended too soon.

26. Danae says:

Wish another network or hell even netflix would pick this show up…I miss it!!! It was too good to get cancelled!!

27. KC says:

Salt in the wound much!? Please stop if nothing is going to come of this.
    Also, waiting for S1 to come out on DVD

28. dgniewek says:

Wish we would have had a season 2 or at least follow-up movies.

29. Pat says:

I also thank you for putting this together, and my question echos others. What will it take to have 2nd, 3rd & hopefully a 4th season on another network. I too Loved Forever, and was upset when it was canceled.
    The suits that run the network amaze me. They must have been working for Fox, when Firefly was booked.

30. Constance says:

This was one of my favorite shows!!!

31. Pat says:

Sorry…hate auto correct. I meant booted.

32. Donna Singer says:

I need more!!!! please, pretty please!!?

33. Megan Beers says:

When will this be out on DVD?

34. Sheila Cruz says:

I was so disappointed that Forever was cancelled. I couldn’t wait for season 2..especially when Henry was about to tell Jo his secret at Abe’s urging. Now we will never know.

35. Ananda says:

Such a shame that this only made one season. I absolutely loved the story, and wanted to see more of Adam’s past, and what turned him into the piece of work he became by the time we met him.
    I really wish that this wasn’t just a one season series as it was one of my favourites.

36. Paula says:

Still think it was a great series. Should have a movie made to tie everything up.

37. Betty moore says:

See if Amazon or Netflix would buy the rights to keep it going..I have Amazon prime and Netflix and some of their original series shows SUCK…Forever is an amazing show with a mysterious storyline..please see if they would help..I HATE to see this die an early death..

• Kimberly Walling 🖖🏼 says:

We have Tweeted all possibilities, relentlessly this past year, and MANY fans called NETFLIX. Plus, many thousands of numerous Petition signatures. We really hate being utterly ignored.

38. Angie says:

ThE cancellation of this show STILL gets me depressed. Such a great story, fun cast, and great writing. I never spoke to a single person that disliked it! Goodness….while this info was great…how far would the romance with Henry and Jo have gone? Would we have seen more about the later years when Abe moved in and started helping? What about some times when some people almost caught on bc he wasn’t aging and he would have to move? I miss this show much!

39. Jill says:

This show was/is incredible. There was nothing like it on tv. I wish Netflix and the “powers that be” would snatch this up and give it new life. This show is a gem.

40. Laura wennes says:

It’s too bad that one of the freshest new idea of a show that caught the interest of me couldn’t be renewed is horrible. There is too much trash on t.v. and this was one of the best ones in a long time. Very disapointing. Hope you can find a slot and a station to take it. I’m waiting and hoping!

41. Lady death says:

Bring forever back…so sad that good shows get cancelled ..bring it back we to many fans that miss this show..so sad that bad shows they keep….thats probably why alot of ppl dont get cable..to pay for your favorite shows to be cancelled and youre left with a …so what happens??????????…

42. Tashia says:

Like everyone else I miss Henry! I loved Ioan character. Shame on them for canceling this amazing show that was none other on the air.

43. Penny Genaille says:

I just wish it would not have been cancelled….they could have moved it to Wednesday or Friday when there is basically nothing good on except “Nashville” and “Grimm”…..or I wish another network would have picked it up….I really liked that show….it was one of the best on t.v……but it seems every time I really like a show, they cancel it….

44. What about a novel series? Like Quantum Leap and Star Trek had/have. I know I’d read about Henry and the gang.

45. Andi says:

Maybe someone could write a “Forever” novel?
    Please…………..

46. Pam says:

Loved this show. I don’t want to hear about what was going to happen. …I want to see season 2 on tv.

47. Bobbi Cannon says:

No question here, just sadness that such a well written series was canceled. Maybe Netflix would be open to having more of this awesome show.

48. Cheryl says:

That was one of my favorite shows I watch it from when it started to the last episode. I was more than a bit annoyed, upset, And very pissed off at the cancellation of the show. The network bring children leave garbage on their network which is moronic crap and cancel a show like “Forever “. The only conclusion I can draw is at the executors of this network do not watch television or our total morons . I have in the past and will continue to avoid most of the crap they have on their network like the plague until they wake up and put some intelligence programming on and quit canceling good programs .

• I agree with you wholeheartedly Cheryl……the execs should all be fired because they are losing business…I don’t what they base their decisions on…..Forever is missed by us all we will just have to vote by turning off our TVs.

49. sabretruthtiger says:

There’s obviously lots of interest why on earth NOT make season 2!!??

• Doug Henning says:

Forever had a vocal and devoted fanbase that made their noise online… But that wasn’t enough… I think the intelligence level was probably higher which is one reason it got whacked. If it was an ABC produced show, it would have probably stuck around.. The reason another WB show like Mysteries of Laura, which btw has gotten better in season 2 IMO has stuck around is Berlanti who has mostly CBS and CW projects running… Having him in your camp helps… Forever didn’t have that Ace in the hole..