Scandal Season 5 Spoilers

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Scandal, Sleepy Hollow, Castle, The Flash, Once, Supernatural, Grey's, Reign and More

Will a Scandal secret keep? Will Once Upon a Time make a nod to Neal? Is three a crowd on Castle? What was behind that Criminal absence? Read on for answers to those questions plus teases from other shows.

Will Scandal‘s Olivia tell anyone about the abortion? –bevoette
Obviously, “It’s up to Olivia” who knows and doesn’t know, says Katie Lowes. But seeing as the season picks up (on Feb. 11) a full six months later, “Time has kind of done its thing to everybody,” says the actress. The back half of the season has “so much stuff going on that mimics real life, it’s crazy. There’s social commentary, like the lawn chair episode or when we took on rape in the military,” says Lowes. There’s also “a lot of Quinn-ery” for her character. “There’s a lot of Quinning, a lot of winning… a lot of ‘I’m Quinn, bitch.'”

Any scoop on Sleepy Hollow‘s Jenny/Joe? —Ramon
“They have a very significant arc in Episode 9 (aka the winter premiere airing Friday, Feb. 5), and their relationship kind of hits some milestones in that one,” teases exec producer Albert Kim, who’s a big fan of the budding couple. “They’ve been like their own little show, and it’s been gratifying to see how much people love them,” he adds. “[Lyndie Greenwood and Zach Appelman] have really natural chemistry together.”

Will there be any Lucy and Beckett interactions on Castle? –Barry
“It’s funny you ask that – in [Episode] 816, we will be doing a little Beckett/Lucy/ Castle [interaction], a bit of jealousy,” co-showrunner Alexi Hawley shared when I hand-delivered your Q. “Your readers are very perceptive!” (Yes, yes they are.)

Any chance you have details on if Katrina Law will be back on Arrow as Nyssa again? –Christina
Nyssa is set to resurface on Feb. 3, though that of course is too late for any reunion with resurrected Sara (whose time-hopping Legends of Tomorrow journey begins this Thursday). But Caity Lotz hopes that Law at some point pays the spinoff a visit, to give closure to Nyssara fans: “I would love for her to be [on Legends], and hopefully that will happen.”

Will we learn any more about Lincoln’s backstory on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.? –Susan
In a word, from EP Maurissa Tancharoen: “Yes.”

Can you tell us anything about The Flash‘s Wally West? Scoop about his interactions with Iris would be the cherry on top of the sundae. —Tatiana
“We’re going to find out that Wally’s a drag racer,” exec producer Andrew Kreisberg previews. “Iris is understandably upset about that, and actually uses her journalistic prowess to try and shut down the races. Conversely, Joe is just happy that Wally’s in his life, and he’s desperate to not do anything that might drive him away. In the beginning, he’s being a little bit too much of a best pal and a running buddy, and not being a dad. One of the things that Joe has to come to grips with, and Wally too, is that Joe can’t just be this laissez-faire guy in Wally’s life, that… he’s going to be there for him whether Wally wants him to or not. So they’ve got some tough stuff to do in the beginning.”

How worried should viewers be about Derek Morgan in upcoming episodes of Criminal Minds? What sort of emotional upheaval should viewers be preparing themselves for? –LaShawna
“There is a lot going on with Derek,” says show boss Erica Messer — as this provocative bit of casting for the episode titled “Derek” already suggested. “He’s really taking up our emotional head space for a good chunk of this midseason stretch.”

What’s with the absence of Spencer Reid on Criminal Minds these last few shows? –Traci
Though Reid resurfaced last week, he was MIA for a stretch, because Matthew Gray Gubler’s current deal doesn’t call for him to be in every Season 11 episode. As Erica Messer explains, “I always joke that [Matthew] makes me feel like I’m standing still, he has so many things going on all the time. There was an opportunity he didn’t want to pass up for the fall that made him light with us, and we were happy to oblige because he’s such a pro and such a love. We love to make him happy.”

We love Amazon’s Alpha House — is there any chance it will be back for a third season? Seems like a long shot at this point, but the political environment is ripe for them to pick on, so maybe?! – LTZ
“That’s TBD,” Amazon Studios boss Roy Price said when I brought your query to him. Noting that he met with series creator Gary Trudeau just two weeks ago, he added, “We’ll have to resolve that.”

Is there more Peyton/Blaine interaction coming up on iZombie? Or any scoop on if/when Liv finds out about it? — Katie H.
“It’s not the focus of the back half of the season, but Ravi continues to pine for Peyton, and Blaine is pretty intrigued as well,” executive producer Rob Thomas teases. As for the second half of your question, “That I want to keep to myself,” the EP hedges.

Chicago Med is filling the ER-shaped hole in my heart. Any scoop to come? –Bex
Med star S. Epatha Merkerson thinks viewers are “really going to love” this Tuesday’s episode, in which Natalie gives birth. “They’ll be surprised about what happens,” she adds, applauding the people around Natalie “as a group who work together and who figured out how to deal with one another, who care for one another.”

On Once Upon a Time, is there going to be any mention of Neal possibly being in the Underworld? –Shannon
Though Season 5B will quickly lay out the rules for who is and isn’t lingering in the Underworld, “I would think that it would be very disappointing for Emma to go down there and not have somebody talk about Neal,” says co-creator Eddy Kitsis.

Is William Shatner’s Tweetfest for CW shows turning into a gig for him on Supernatural? — SnazzyO
“He’s been absolutely wonderful, but there’s been no formal discussions of that sort,” executive producer Jeremy Carver says. To make up for that bad (?) news, how about this teaser: The show’s return this Wednesday features the first scene between all five of its major players — Dean, Sam, Castiel, Crowley and Rowena — and it falls under the category of “strange bedfellows,” says Carver. “Everyone has an axe to grind as we move into the second half [of the season]… Fans should expect shifting allegiances, alliances and some fairly shocking turns right from the jump.”

I will do your laundry, vacuum your living room and do your dishes if you give me scoop relating to a certain Grey’s Anatomy pairing: Maluca! (Maggie and Deluca, that is.) Any chance those two might become more than friends with benefits? —Patrick
Oh, sure — I run this after my cleaning lady has just visited. Anyway: “We last saw Maggie and Deluca trying to negotiate being [casual hook-ups] and to be professional, and it’s still a challenge,” Kelly McCreary reports. Whether this coupling is the real deal “remains to be seen,” she adds. “They’re still trying to figure it out — but they’re having fun doing it!”

Is there any scoop for Reign? –Lori
CW boss Mark Pedowitz hopes that the historical drama sees Season 4 — if only because “we’ve got to find out if [Mary] goes back to Scotland!” When I asked if there had been any talk of keeping Francis alive even longer than he should have been, Pedowitz said, “No, because we wanted that moment, because there is a level of history. We get knocked on that, but we always knew Francis would meet his demise. And the real richness of the stories this year I think are coming from [his death], the introduction of Queen Elizabeth…. And I think it’ll even be richer when we move her to Scotland.”

Any Danny-related scoop on Hawaii Five-0? –Sarah
As hinted in our Winter Preview extravaganza, Episode 18 will serve up a story involving Danny, his kids and… a carjacking. “They’re not really in jeopardy, but they get in a situation where they end up having their car stolen,” says showrunner Peter M. Lenkov. “They go to spend a quality day with their dad and their car gets stolen for a robbery, and they chase the car.… It’s a fun story that brings him closer together with his kids.”

Any spoilers for Jake and Amy on Brooklyn Nine Nine? – Kate
As Melissa Fumero raves, “We have a superfun guest star coming up” on Feb. 2 — Married With Children alum Katey Sagal, as Jake’s mother. “And maybe Jake’s dad (played by Bradley Whitford) is there too… which is weird.” Whatever the case, “Amy is in Super-Trying-To-Impress mode, though whether or not she succeeds is a totally different story!” The green-eyed monster is also on the horizon, when New Girl‘s Damon Wayans Jr. guests as a former 99er who’s “like best friends with Jake,” Fumero reports, “so Charles gets a little jealous.”

Real questions, real answers. If you need the Inside Line on a favorite show, email InsideLine@tvline.com!  (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

1. Cilla says:

Thanks for the Iris/Wally scoop. Can’t wait to see their dynamic and hopefully bond

2. Emily says:

Looking forward to Iris kinda mothering Wally! Thank you so much <3

3. Castle/Beckett jealousy on Castle and Lincoln backstory on AOS? Yawn

4. Diana says:

Thanks for the Iris scoop! And Wally of course. Sounds like things won’t be easy. I wonder if they’ll give him his powers this season, maybe as a season 2 cliffhanger.

5. Val says:

SOMEBODY – being i assume Milah (since we are seeing her for one episode)

I hate Neal – he is one character that irritates me. So i am hoping we dont see him.

6. MJ says:

Great scoop on “The Flash”!! I can’t wait until 2.12 and the season actually begins!

7. Grace says:

Thank you for the 5-0 scoop, Matt! I’m so excited we’re getting a Danny-centric episode, or at least a storyline. Danno is my favorite! It’ll be nice to see him bond with the kids, and I’m sure there will be a lot of hand-wringing over his beloved car being stolen.

8. Drew says:

I cringed a little when I saw the Supernatural reference to “all five of its major players”… Humans are officially outnumbered on this show. That makes me sad.
    You know what would be cool? Kill Rowena and Crowley. Then close the gate to Hell (with the trials) and have Castiel take over as the warden of Hell. It is supposed to be a prison, after all.

• Chris says:

Yeah, that’s never going to happen. SPN knows it has a great dynamic with the five central players, and it would be a bloody shame to waste that. The entire ensemble is fantastic and I love watching them – can’t wait for the new ep tomorrow.

• Rick says:

Seriously, anyone else really tired of seeing Drew’s same negative comments on every article that mentions Supernatural? I sure am. Find a new axe to grind, man, the show and all its characters are fantastic.

• Jessica says:

Well how Supernatural ended this week I am kind of disappointment with how they decided to go with this show but I will still watch after all its still a really good show and my favorite on tv

9. Brian says:

I hope the Scandal writers don’t wimp out and sweep Olivia’s abortion under the rug like they’ve done all the other reveals and stunts on this show like Fitz outing Olivia, Jake choking Olivia, Jake doing a sex tape without Olivia’s knowledge and Fitz’s suicide, etc. It’s always annoyed me how they stick with the horrid B613 storyline, but they sweep these far more potentially interesting storylines under the rug. If they really want to get fans hyped and bring the buzz back to this show, start addressing and owning these stunts, instead of always running from them.

10. Cena Gomez says:

On Scandal, I’m willing to bet Olivia’s abortion won’t be mentioned again is the vibe I’m getting. Shonda Rhimes classic hack move as a writer is to sweep OMG moments under the rug. Lee admitted the abortion was only written to create buzz for the show. It had no storyline purpose. Basically the only thing SR knows how to write is hashtag OMG shocking crap. She couldn’t explain why Olivia aborted a baby from the man she claimed to love without telling him to save her life. Like SR can’t explain why Olivia and Mellie both allowed Rowan and Tom to be set free. No logic to SR writing. Even in fiction, things suppose to make a little sense…just a little. So she’s just going to forget it and pretend it never happened. She did it with Jake’s sex tape of Olivia, she did it with Huck and Jake choking Olivia, she did it with Fitz outing Olivia in S3, and she’ll do it with the abortion. She will bog the show down with Social issues and OPA cases and hope the fans are stupid enough to forget the crap she wrote in 509.

• Cas says:

I was thinking she would bring it up again next year when Fitz and her are back together. That way they have another reason to break them up. Fitz finds out and then leaves her.

• Cena Gomez says:

I think both of us are in the ball park. Either she’s going to totally ignore the abortion or use it later when they get back together as another reason to break them up again. It is ridiculous. What was the point of YES and Fitz divorce, just to break up again? I don’t think she’s capable of writing an adult love story without all adding the soapy elements.

11. Coralie says:

Oh my God so now, Beckett is jealous of a computer ? These showrunners absolutely want to turn their two main characters into pathetic characters for “””fun””” don’t they ? 😭

12. Chet says:

Neal obviously doesn’t have any unfinished business, because he had time before he did to give Emma his permission to date Hook (which women need obviously). And since Hook had an operation with his son he never got to have…

It’s weird. It’s like Hook stole Neal’s life.

• Val says:

Firstly Emma does NOT need his permission for anything – she is her own woman!!!. Neal closed his ties with the various characters in the episode he died. His dad and Emma mainly. It was very obvious from the start there was NOT going to be any Neal and Emma at all.
      The show was already writing Emma & Hook as more since they met and season 3 in Neverland and beyond.

13. That One Mean Girl says:

Because what everyone wants is for a police captain to be jealous of a stupid robot toy. Jealous! Beckett was cute when she was obviously in love with Castle but not acting on it. Constantly degrading her as late into the game as season 8, on the other hand? I’m going to continue to go with the hard pass. Just…where is the humor? Seriously.

14. DarkDefender says:

I cannot wait for the Castle/Beckett/Lucy exchange.
    I’d be cool if Olivia keeps her abortion secret – it was her choice, after all.
    As for Grey’s, I’d like to see Maggie and Alex together.

15. Cara says:

Which King Richard might be on Reign?

16. Wendy says:

What I want to know is when will William Shatner appear on Supernatural as God?!?

17. Drew says:

I’m really enjoying Reign this season. I hope it gets renewed and given a chance to finish Mary’s story in Scotland!

18. Bill says:

Re: Reign – I read or heard somewhere that the 1/22 episode is it for this year? True of False?

19. Dee says:

All due love to Luke Mitchell, but the Lincoln character is about as intriguing as chalk. I could care less about his back story.

20. Sunny says:

I love Jenny and Joe on Sleepy Hollow, but “they’ve been their own little show” has been a PROBLEM for me. That’s not a good thing.

• Tina says:

exactly. This isn’t their show. I feel like the writers don’t know how to write for Abbie and Ichabod and are trying to give us Jenny and Joe as some kind of substitute and its not going over well with fans at all. This isn’t the Jenny and Joe show!

• JenJ says:

So, it wasn’t just me who noticed this. While I like Jenny and Joe, I haven’t been too happy to see so much screen time wasted on them. I am more interested in what’ Ichy and Abbie are up to.

21. AmellyFan says:

Plot Twist: Lincoln’s backstory is ‘The Tomorrow People’.

22. Z says:

I hope they move “Reign” to Scotland.. they have pretty much exhausted her story in France and her life in Scotland is so much more interesting.

• Csb says:

It is also where Mary’s character truly is questionable. It would be interesting to see how they depict the death of the 2nd husband.

23. Mak says:

Thank you for the Reign Scoop…hate to say it but since Francis’ demise the show has been excellent. Hope it’s renewed

24. Translation: Fans should be worried for Derek in future episodes. As for Matthew’s absence, I’m worried about that too. Messer hasn’t been known to be entirely faithful to her words… especially to fans of CM. So much she has said, and none has actually happened. So…

Once again I take her words with a grain of salt.

25. lame says:

Castle needs another devise , Louie, voiced by William Shatner.

26. Fran says:

You said it Dark can’t wait for Castle return!

27. Angela says:

Well, I’m definitely feeling nervous about everything with Morgan. Especially since we’re inching ever closer to the episode MGG’s directing that involves someone leaving the show. And with their 250th episode in that same time frame as the “Derek” episode and the episode where someone leaves, I sense something big’s coming storywise on the show. So I’m bracing myself.
    And speaking of MGG, figured it was other commitments holding him up there for a few episodes. Lord knows he’s quite the busy guy, after all. Hopefully, though, that’s the only absence we’ll have to deal with regarding him this season (and beyond, for that matter). I missed him during his time away.
    And cool news about Jenny and Joe on “Sleepy Hollow”. Interested to see what “milestones” their relationship will be reaching. Hm.

28. Thanks for answering my question. I just hope they don’t kill off Derek on Criminal Minds.

29. Tina says:

the Sleepy Hollow Jenny/Joe relationship is an insult to fans who are desperately wanting any kind of advancement for Abbie and Ichabod, and I DO NOT mean in the romantic sense. They are barely acquaintances at this point, roommates. It’s ridiculous. I loathe the writing this season even more than last!

30. ninergrl6 says:

I love that the Reign writers are planning to bring Mary to Scotland. It’s only right. I hope we get to see their vision!

31. niloofar says:

Quinning doesn’t blong to Katie Lowes, it will always be Homeland’s

32. SnazzyO says:

Thanks Matt!

33. Chris says:

“Fans should expect shifting allegiances, alliances and some fairly shocking turns right from the jump.”

I watched the promo that came out today for SPN and it looks intense! I have a good guess as to what’s coming for Cas, and all I’ve got to say is I’m VERY glad that Dean and Sam seem so determined to save him – he’s family, after all! Gonna be a great second half of the season.

34. Rick says:

re: Supernatural, I seriously can’t wait to see all five of the central characters team up. We have an amazing cast who works so well together. Did anyone watch the extended promo that came out yesterday? I’d be willing to put money on the fact that Cas is going to let Lucifer possess him so that Dean and Sam can get away – and that the guys are going to be focused on saving him over the next few episodes, based on what Dean said.

Save Cas, ice the devil, gank the Darkness – in that order! Sounds like a riveting second half of the season.

35. annek says:

Nothing about Castle is amusing anymore. Just watched ‘Tick, Tick, Tuck’ and ‘Boom’ on Space Channel. Wow. Castle was smart, clever and no bumbling idiot. Beckett was a great detective with her emotions in check. Now she is … well, she needs Dr Burke quickly. Their lovestory was mature and so smartly written. Now its a sad soap opera. Jealousy over a machine? Slapping and fighting and canoodling and talking like sex is all they are about? Not at all what these characters were built on.

• lurker says:

No, it’s a sad sitcom. But, hey, the show Castle is a comedy in its heart. Keep asking myself what would be previous showrunners’ thoughts on that.

• Susan Smith says:

It upsets fans the heart and soul of the show,Castle and Beckett working cases together, has been cut out. Kate would Never slap Rick.Rick has become more slapstick and silly. I also wonder what the previous writers think about what has happened to their wonderful show

• annek says:

Agree. Even early episodes that were more comedic were clever, not this slapstick, school boy humor. Im sure those writers are glad they’ve long since distanced themselves.

36. Doris Noia says:

Nobody cares about Joe and Jenny. They’re cute in all, but we’ve been waiting for Ichabbie since season 1. Give it to us!!!!!

37. Tai Weiland says:

I love Danny and his kids. Wait. Kids? I thought he just have the one. When did No.2 come along? (yeah, haven’t watched it since season 2 lol)

38. Sigrun says:

Castle season 9 with Stana and Nathan couple and Caskettbaby

39. Pia says:

FYI Matthew Gray Gubler was in a movie, which likely explains his absence.

40. Jada says:

I hope we see Neal again Such a bad decision to kill him off. He was one of the best characters and actors.

41. I can’t believe we have to wait 6 more weeks to see Beckett move back into her own home with her husband. If that’s the case I certainly hope this Loksat crap is done, it was a waste of 3 months of great storytelling that should have been.